The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Christine & Lindsey relationship - thoughts?

this thread stems from the idea CAD had in the Stevie & Lindsey intimacy thread, once we started discussing Chris and Linds and the nature of their relationship.

it would be interesting to discuss both their professional and personal relationship. they both said that professionally they learned from each other a great deal, that their musical knowledge was complementary, they were developing on different and parallel planes or something like that. they worked closely together on a number of FM albums.

but since Christine left FM and active touring, there were all these weird statements from Lindsey about her "burning all bridges" with her previous life, that apparently in his opinion she didn't have to do so completely (selling the house, selling her music catalog, etc) and he couldn't even "pretend to understand" or something like that. what is behind these statements? is it regret and hurt thinly veiled behind brave face and insensitive remarks? is Lindsey the one who felt the most regretful about Christine leaving and their musical partnership resolving?

what was the nature of their personal relationship? friends certainly, you can see the warmth they had for each other, but with all the partying, drugs, alcohol and living in close quarters, it wouldn't seem surprising that something more happened between them at some - or several - points. if it did, when would that be? Mirage time seems the most obvious... we were discussing some kisses on stage during US festival (see screencap below) and Mirage concert video. if anything ever happened, would they even remember?

"how was it for you?" -

please discuss, pros and cons, professional and personal, intimacy or no, anything you would like to about Chris and Linds' relationship.

(don't know whether we want to move the last page or two of discussion on these topics from the S&L intimacy thread here or just leave it there as it was an impetus for this thread?)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember Christine saying that she never really had a personal relationship with him. This would have been right after he left in 1987.

Romantically, I don't think they were each other's type. Look at who they were involved with. She's too butch/strong-willed/uncontrollable for him, he's too whimpy for her. If he tried to strangle her, she would have kicked his ass. I think their relationship was purely professional and creative. Beyond that, I don't see them hanging out too much.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is from an early 90s Golmine interview with Chris, which can be found in the Blue Letter Archives, when asked whether she and LB had a special bond:

Christine McVie: I don’t think so as people. As musicians, yes, I think that he respected me as a musician, and I certainly respected him as a musician. We weren’t close friends. You couldn’t say that. I mean, Lindsey’s not really close friends with anybody.

(October 1992)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have no doubt they respected each other as musicians, and enjoyed playing together. And of course they were kinda flirty at times (see the video Elle posted, above). I find it really hard to believe that in their wildest days they didn't hook up at some point. Nothing serious or ongoing, necessarily, but sure they did. Probably more than once!

And clearly Chris enjoyed the view from her area on stage...

Can't say I blame her
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's kinda hard to say, Lindsey doesn't seem very social, but then again... neither does Chris, they had to have something going on I mean their voices are pretty much the same except Lindsey's is masculine and vice versa. They had to have had some connection I mean the Video with them performing Tusk is super intense and about the wildest Christine gets.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't know why this thread made remember this episode from the Tusk tour, mentioned in Mick's book. It wa in New Zealand after several months on the road, and they were oversaturated and exhausted, the tour was taking its tool:

By then, the exhaustion of constant travel began to set in, and we were all pretty brainfried. Lindsey hit the old scotch bottle a little too hard before the concert, and halfway through the performance he snapped like a guitar string tuned ten octaves too high. First I noticed that he was playing out of tune.Then he started to clown around and mimic Stevie while she was dancing around the stage. Then, while she was hunched over, upstage of Lindsey, during her "Rhiannon" performance, he stopped playing and pulled his jacket over his head in a grotesque imitation of her pose. At that point he lost all control, playing anything except "Rhiannon," laughing like a madman. Then he started to kick Stevie while she was trying to salvage the number. Sixty thousand people were watching! Lindsey would flick his foot at her and Stevie would shy away, trying to cover up his stoned-out behavior to save us all from dying of embarrassment. The rest of the band could only look at each other in disbelief.

The show finally over, we stumbled into the stadium's rugby changing rooms, where we were dressing. There would be no encore that night: we were all freaked out. I could hear the crowd screaming for more as Christine McVie stormed into the room, utterly hell-bent, and made straight for Mr. Buckingham, who was slumped miserably on a bench. Lindsey stood up, and Chris smacked him crack! right in the face. Then she threw her drink at him for good measure. "Don't you ever do this to this band again," she shouted. "Ever! Is that clear?" Then she stormed out again.

.... Christine and Lindsey didn't speak to each other for a week afterwards.

I know she respected him a lot but this shows also how she loved the band.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgoback View Post
It's kinda hard to say, Lindsey doesn't seem very social, but then again... neither does Chris, they had to have something going on I mean their voices are pretty much the same except Lindsey's is masculine and vice versa.
That's funny, because Stevie and Lindsey's voices are the same too. She has noted how weird it is that he sounds like her when his voice is sped up and she sounds like him when her voice is slowed down. And she also said that with his magic in the studio, on SYW she didn't know if it was Christine singing or Lindsey being Christine. Lindsey is both Stevie and Christine.

More proof that those 3 were meant to be together.

Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Romantically, I don't think they were each other's type. Look at who they were involved with. She's too butch/strong-willed/uncontrollable for him, he's too whimpy for her. If he tried to strangle her, she would have kicked his ass.
I don't think Christine was as strong in her personal life as she was within the band. The main men in her life that we know about, John, Dennis and Eddy all seemed to have walked over her. In fact, I have a good idea that if John was running around chasing after Stevie with a butcher knife, she'd turn around and give him a piece of her mind and more, faster than Christine would. Christine tolerated a lot in her love life, before she resolved to leave.

Christine has two sides. She can be tough and take charge, but she also goes soft. I mean, when she says Oh Daddy is about Mick, at least in part, I believe her because look at that tour video when she is basically tugging on Mick's sleeve and whining. If Lindsey gets to leave and skip the press conference, why can't she do it? She doesn't want to do it, if Lindsey doesn't have to. Mick just ignores her. It made me laugh because it was very father/daughter. There was a little girl in her.

Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as Chris and Lindsey's relationship, I can believe they never had sex. Yet, I wouldn't be shocked if they did. But I don't necessarily think that was the case.

I think they had a deep affection which they mainly (if not only) expressed musically and when the music between them was gone it left a void. You still have this feeling for a person, but no longer any way to communicate and convey it. You know, Lindsey will say he shared things with these people that he shared with no one else except his family and, in fact, he said he's been through more with them than he has with his family. But he has this base with his family which gives him many ways to connect with them, totally outside of music. He doesn't have that with FM and when they aren't playing together, they really have nothing to do with that residual emotion. I think it's sad in a way.

Stevie said that she was upset when Lindsey entered the band and wrote World Turning with Christine right away, when she and Lindsey had not written before. Now, I don't think Stevie wanted Lindsey as a songwriting partner, but what I think she was jealous of was the connection that music gave Lindsey and Christine. Something she and Lindsey never shared, as equals. They were in music together, but not on the same level with one another. Stevie could do things that Lindsey couldn't do, but it was nothing that he particularly valued. He meets Christine and immediately they are communing as musicians. That pricked Stevie a bit.

While Lindsey and Christine may not have been lovers, they were certainly aware of each other physically. Lots of touching. Now, I don't see her touching Mick and John so much, but, in fairness, that could have been just because Lindsey walked the stage, John does not (except during Stand Back he did walk the stage to move on the opposite side of Lindsey and Christine who were canoodling) and Mick cannot. If Mick was on the floor with Christine and not stuck behind a drumkit, he may have been making out with her non-stop. Who can say.

I did notice during the BTM appearances, Christine had her fingers in Lindsey's hair and on his face as they stood together (and Stevie was collecting for Greenpeace). I have never seen her caressing John, Mick, Rick OR Billy while standing on stage for the final bow like that.

Mick said when it was cold he and Peter used to sleep together and hold each other for warmth. So . . . well . . . who knows what any of it means.

Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think some of that's show. They all get touchy-feely during the shows. Look at the clips from "Songbird".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Vz5ZmJCJ4

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think some of that's show. They all get touchy-feely during the shows. Look at the clips from "Songbird".
where is that throw-up emoticon when one needs it? you post a youtube vid of Lindsey-less FM in a thread about lindsey and christine?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Short and to the point....

Everybody in Fleetwood Mac slept with EVERYBODY in Fleetwood Mac!!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Short and to the point....

Everybody in Fleetwood Mac slept with EVERYBODY in Fleetwood Mac!!!!
John did say something like that. He had an exception though. I think he said everyone slept with everyone except him and Mick, but I'm not 100% sure if that was the couple he excluded.

Michele
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post

Stevie could have come up and knocked out their teeth. Michele