The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Default Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Posthumous Boxs Set of previously unreleased material

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Announce Posthumous Box Set ‘An American Treasure’
“Keep a Little Soul” leads a 60-track collection of previously unreleased material from Petty

Tom Petty‘s family and former collaborators compiled a four-CD box set of previously unreleased material by Petty and the Heartbreakers, for release on September 28th, SiriusXM announced. The release, called An American Treasure, marks the first posthumous album of Petty material since his death in October. The SiriusXM broadcast debuted a clip from one of the unreleased songs from 1982, a bouncy, organ-heavy cut “Keep a Little Soul.”

An American Treasure will contain previously unreleased studio recordings, live recordings, deep cuts and alternate versions of popular Petty songs, according to SiriusXM. The collection will encompass 60 tracks in total. Petty’s daughter Adria and his wife Dana helped select the material along with former Heartbreakers Benmont Tench, Mike Campbell and “longtime studio collaborator” Ryan Ulyate. A less expensive two-CD set will also be available for purchase.

Petty was as prolific as he was talented. During the Eighties and Nineties, he released albums at a rapid pace. His studio productivity dipped slightly in the new millennium, when he put out an album roughly every four years. The last album Petty released under his own name was 2014’s Hypnotic Eye. He also contributed to 2016’s Mudcrutch 2 with members of his pre-Heartbreakers band.

Petty was found unconscious at his home in Malibu on October 2, 2017. He was taken to the hospital and put temporarily on life support. He died hours later.

In January, a medical examiner ruled that the singer died of an accidental overdose. Petty had been prescribed drugs to treat emphysema, knee issues and a fractured hip, according to a statement from his family. “On the day he died, he was informed his hip had graduated to a full-on break,” Dana and Adria wrote. “It is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his overuse of medication.”

An American Treasure Track List:

Disc One
  1. “Surrender” – Previously unreleased track from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers sessions, 1976
  2. “Listen to Her Heart” – Live at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA, November 11, 1977
  3. “Anything That’s Rock ‘N’ Roll” – Live at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA, November 11, 1977
  4. “When the Time Comes” – Album track from You’re Gonna Get It!, May 2, 1978
  5. “You’re Gonna Get It” – Alternate version featuring strings from You’re Gonna Get It! sessions, 1978
  6. “Radio Promotion Spot” – 1977
  7. “Rockin’ Around (With You)” – Album track from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers , November 9, 1976
  8. “Fooled Again (I Don’t Like It)” – Alternate version from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, 1976
  9. “Breakdown” – Live at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA, November 11, 1977
  10. “The Wild One, Forever” – Album track from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, November 9, 1976
  11. “No Second Thoughts” – Album track from You’re Gonna Get It!, May 2, 1978
  12. “Here Comes My Girl” – Alternate version from Damn The Torpedoes sessions, 1979
  13. “What Are You Doing in My Life” – Alternate version from Damn The Torpedoes sessions, 1979
  14. “Louisiana Rain” – Alternate version from Damn The Torpedoes sessions, 1979
  15. “Lost in Your Eyes” – Previously unreleased single from Mudcrutch sessions, 1974

Disc Two
  1. “Keep a Little Soul” – Previously unreleased track from Long After Dark sessions, 1982
  2. “Even the Losers” – Live at Rochester Community War Memorial, Rochester, NY, 1989
  3. “Keeping Me Alive” – Previously unreleased track from Long After Dark sessions, 1982
  4. “Don’t Treat Me Like a Stranger” – B-side to UK single of “I Won’t Back Down”, April, 1989
  5. “The Apartment Song” – Demo recording (with Stevie Nicks), 1984
  6. “Concert Intro” – Live introduction by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, The Forum, Inglewood, CA, June 28, 1981
  7. “King’s Road” – Live at The Forum, Inglewood, CA, June 28, 1981
  8. “Clear the Aisles” – Live concert announcement by Tom Petty, The Forum, Inglewood, CA, June 28, 1981
  9. “A Woman in Love (It’s not Me)” – Live at The Forum, Inglewood, CA, June 28, 1981
  10. “Straight Into Darkness” – Alternate version from The Record Plant, Hollywood, CA, May 5, 1982
  11. “You Can Still Change Your Mind” – Album track from Hard Promises, May 5, 1981
  12. “Rebels” – Alternate version from Southern Accents sessions, 1985
  13. “Deliver Me” – Alternate version from Long After Dark sessions, 1982
  14. “Alright for Now” – Album track from Full Moon Fever, April 24, 1989
  15. “The Damage You’ve Done” – Alternate version from Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) sessions, 1987
  16. “The Best of Everything” – Alternate version from Southern Accents sessions, March 26, 1985
  17. “Walkin’ From the Fire” – Previously unreleased track from Southern Accents sessions, March 1, 1984
  18. “King of the Hill” – Early take (with Roger McGuinn), November 23, 1987

Disc Three
  1. “I Won’t Back Down” – Live at The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA, February 4, 1997
  2. “Gainesville” – Previously unreleased track from Echo sessions, February 12, 1998
  3. “You and I Will Meet Again” – Album track from Into The Great Wide Open, July 2, 1991
  4. “Into the Great Wide Open” – Live at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, November 24, 1991
  5. “Two Gunslingers” – Live at The Beacon Theatre, New York, NY, May 25, 2013
  6. “Lonesome Dave” – Previously unreleased track from Wildflowers sessions, July 23, 1993
  7. “To Find a Friend” – Album track from Wildflowers, November 1, 1994
  8. “Crawling Back to You” – Album track from Wildflowers, November 1, 1994
  9. “Wake Up Time” – Previously unreleased track from early Wildflowers sessions, August 12, 1992
  10. “Grew Up Fast” – Album track from Songs and Music from “She’s the One”, August 6, 1996
  11. “I Don’t Belong” – Previously unreleased track from Echo sessions, December 3, 1998
  12. “Accused of Love” – Album track from Echo, April 13, 1999
  13. “Lonesome Sundown” – Album track from Echo, April 13, 1999
  14. “Don’t Fade on Me” – Previously unreleased track from Wildflowers, sessions, April 20, 1994

Disc Four
  1. “You and Me” – Clubhouse version, November 9, 2007
  2. “Have Love Will Travel” – Album track from The Last DJ, October 8, 2002
  3. “Money Becomes King” – Album track from The Last DJ, October 8, 2002
  4. “Bus to Tampa Bay” – Previously unreleased track from Hypnotic Eye sessions, August 11, 2011
  5. “Saving Grace” – Live at Malibu Performing Arts Center, Malibu, CA, June 16, 2006
  6. “Down South” – Album track from Highway Companion, July 25, 2006
  7. “Southern Accents” – Live at Stephen C. O’Connell Center, Gainesville, FL, September 21, 2006
  8. “Insider” – Live (with Stevie Nicks) at O’Connell Center, Gainesville, FL, September 21, 2006
  9. “Two Men Talking” – Previously unreleased track from Hypnotic Eye sessions, November 16, 2012
  10. “Fault Lines” – Album track from Hypnotic Eye, July 29, 2014
  11. “Sins of My Youth” – Early take from Hypnotic Eye sessions, November 12, 2012
  12. “Good Enough” – Alternate version from Mojo sessions, 2012
  13. “Something Good Coming” – Album track from Mojo, July 15, 2010
  14. “Save Your Water” – Album track from Mudcrutch 2, May 20, 2016
  15. “Like a Diamond” – Alternate version from The Last DJ sessions, 2002
  16. “Hungry no More” – Live at House of Blues, Boston, MA, June 15, 2016

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...easure-698087/
Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard about this today on NPR; our local program played a couple of the songs. Can't wait to get it.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It was only a matter of time until they started milking Toms corpse for more money. I’m surprised Stevie’s influence only allowed for two songs with her. It’s higjly likely there will be a Stevie and Tom compilation cd someday SOON. All their duets. Demos. Live. Etc. including the Heartbreakerrs version of Gypsy
Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
It was only a matter of time until they started milking Toms corpse for more money. I’m surprised Stevie’s influence only allowed for two songs with her. It’s higjly likely there will be a Stevie and Tom compilation cd someday SOON. All their duets. Demos. Live. Etc. including the Heartbreakerrs version of Gypsy
This was also put together partly by Tom's widow. I don't think she or Mike Campbell are "milking" anything. It's about releasing unreleased stuff so fans can hear them. "Milking" to me would be countless reissues (that features nothing new) and countless compilations. So releasing unreleased material is "milking" to you?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
This was also put together partly by Tom's widow. I don't think she or Mike Campbell are "milking" anything. It's about releasing unreleased stuff so fans can hear them. "Milking" to me would be countless reissues (that features nothing new) and countless compilations. So releasing unreleased material is "milking" to you?
If they were unreleased for a reason it is. Tom might not have wanted them out there.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
If they were unreleased for a reason it is. Tom might not have wanted them out there.
Not sure about all of it, but alot of this has been released in some form already. The two Stevie songs were previously available - The Apartment Song on TP&THBs box set and the version of Insider on Live from Gatorville which you can get on Amazon/DVD from '06.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Then don't buy it. There always has to be at least one person trying to ruin it for everyone else. You also have no clue if Tom would have objected...he did put SEVERAL unreleased songs on PLAYBACK.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can't wait for this. They did a great job with the song selection. I personally would love a Stevie/Tom compilation. There's certainly enough material for one.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Then don't buy it. There always has to be at least one person trying to ruin it for everyone else. You also have no clue if Tom would have objected...he did put SEVERAL unreleased songs on PLAYBACK.
Lol relax. I'm not trying to "ruin" anything for anyone. I don't even listen to much Tom Petty. But that's what people here were talking about that is a possibility always after someone dies because you can never know what a dead person would've wanted.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m looking forward are to this version of the apartment song. I used to listen to the regular version that was a b-side to wont back down on cassette on a long commute I used to have.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The apartment song is not bad considering where both Tom and Stevie were in their lives in 1984 with some of the biggest drug addiction problems in rock at that time. Tom was one year out of smashing his hand on purpose in the studio and Stevie was two years away of falling off stage multiple times. I agree that this is a fantastic collection of Tom's songs.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't Stevie record a demo of "Don't Treat Me Like a Stranger" for OSOTM?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Didn't Stevie record a demo of "Don't Treat Me Like a Stranger" for OSOTM?
Different songs - you can find them both on YouTube.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
Not sure about all of it, but alot of this has been released in some form already. The two Stevie songs were previously available - The Apartment Song on TP&THBs box set and the version of Insider on Live from Gatorville which you can get on Amazon/DVD from '06.
Yeah, we've already heard this stuff with Nicks.

Isn't there anything else with her in the vaults?

(By the way, doesn't Stevie also sing on You Can Still Change Your Mind from Hard Promises?)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yeah, we've already heard this stuff with Nicks.

Isn't there anything else with her in the vaults?

(By the way, doesn't Stevie also sing on You Can Still Change Your Mind from Hard Promises?)
Yes, there was a thread about it from not too long ago: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57116