Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
Yes! And on Sara - the keyboard and guitars play off one another in probably the best song Stevie Nicks ever wrote. And (sorry about starting two sentences with 'And') one of the great things about having the cleaning lady version is understanding and appreciating the LIndsey/Christine thing that happened in that later mix. From the 'building your house' line the two play off one another just like jazz musicians........
I will always feel that Christine made Lindsey a better guitar player because being a blues player she could find a progression.. and improvise within it... and she was always so generous with giving him a solid bed of rhythm that it certainly inspired him.

Sometimes she laid off too much... she seemed to tire of soloing and grabbing a bit of the light... rather she did it in subtle fashion.... which is why I find Crystal so unique... it's written by Nicks... Sung by Lindsey... and has a Christine solo.... the harmonies.. recording, arrangement, the mix... all very pristine...!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
She probably had a wry smile on her face when she heard SYW. No matter how good the songs, arrangements and production - she just added that something that made it alot, lot better.

Sheryl Crow just aint Christine McVie.........
No one's Christine. She's just too damn unique.

Why doesn't Mick just let Christine record an album with them and get it over with? I'm annoyed with this "no tour, no record" mentality.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Why doesn't Mick just let Christine record an album with them and get it over with? I'm annoyed with this "no tour, no record" mentality.
I'm still not sold on that's how it actually played out. I still think she offered songs to the band to help them out more than wanting to play some role in the group. Christine wanted out of the whole rock star thing. That doesn't mean she doesn't still care about the band. Also, I still don't see how that's Mick's policy when John, Lindsey, and Stevie all said similar things to what Mick said. It appears that it was a band policy, not just Mick's. I bet Christine was relieved by the news of Sheryl Crow. It takes the pressure off of her to get back into the Fleetwood Mac groove. Actually, now that the pressure is off of Christine to be a member of Fleetwood Mac, I wouldn't be shocked if she makes a cameo on a potential new Fleetwood Mac album.

No, Sheryl isn't Christine. Nor was Bekka. Nor was Stevie. Hell, nor was Brett. However, I think adding Sheryl is something extremely positive for Fleetwood Mac. Stevie and Lindsey need a third, and if it can't be Christine, I think Sheryl is a brilliant choice.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OK here's another question. If Sheryl Crow sings any of Christine's songs is there one (or more) that you would regard as sacrosanct? that she should never sing under any circumstances.

For me it would be Songbird. If she sang that it would be a blow from which I might never recover.

Of course Sheryl might have to take more than just Christine's singing duties. She might be required to slap Lindsey across the chops and throw a glass of wine in his face

Gail
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
OK here's another question. If Sheryl Crow sings any of Christine's songs is there one (or more) that you would regard as sacrosanct? that she should never sing under any circumstances.
Not really. I think anything is fair game at this point. Even "Songbird" which as been covered by a number of artists, including a friend of Mick's (Eva Cassidy) and Willie Nelson. Sacred cows are for religion. Songs are for musicians to play.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Not really. I think anything is fair game at this point. Even "Songbird" which as been covered by a number of artists, including a friend of Mick's (Eva Cassidy) and Willie Nelson. Sacred cows are for religion. Songs are for musicians to play.
For me Songbird sung live at a FM concert by anyone other than Christine would be a step too far.

Gail
Old 03-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't think of anything. I think the band should do a bunch of different writers' songs, like "Just Crazy Love," "Sands of Time," "Mystified," & "Planets of the Universe."
Old 03-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I tend to agee. In fact, I thought Bekka did a fantastic job on the Time tour. I wonder what CM's take would. I tend to think she would not care, but who knows.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

For me it would be Songbird. If she sang that it would be a blow from which I might never recover.

Gail
Even if no one else objected (and they all probably would), I can't see John letting that happen, if he thought BMW was too associated with someone else, I doubt that he thinks a new band member could sing Songbird, a song that used to make him weep in the wings.

Michele
Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Even if no one else objected (and they all probably would), I can't see John letting that happen, if he thought BMW was too associated with someone else, I doubt that he thinks a new band member could sing Songbird, a song that used to make him weep in the wings.

Michele
That's a thought. Perhaps Mr McVie might think Songbird was too associated with his ex missus.

For me Sheryl Crow could do Songbird if she wanted at one of her solo concerts, it's just at an FM show I would object (and I'm sure that would upset them greatly)

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 03-16-2008 at 04:08 AM..
Old 03-15-2008, 08:03 PM

I don't object to them singing Christine's songs... just please do them well.... for christ's sake!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I can't think of anything. I think the band should do a bunch of different writers' songs, like "Just Crazy Love," "Sands of Time," "Mystified," & "Planets of the Universe."
This was my line of thinking. If Sheryl does cover some Christine songs, why not the old, forgotten ones, like "Believe Me" or "Sugar Daddy"? "Songbird," however, seems too closely identified with Christine.

I'm guessing Sheryl might like to try "World Turning," since in a Rolling Stone feature piece she once said she loves to blare this tune in her car as she drives along the California highway. And as the tour rehearsals in the DR documentary proved, neither Stevie or Lindsey can hit the highest notes of that tune anymore--the ones Chris would be prevailed upon to sing.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This was my line of thinking. If Sheryl does cover some Christine songs, why not the old, forgotten ones, like "Believe Me" or "Sugar Daddy"? "Songbird," however, seems too closely identified with Christine.

I'm guessing Sheryl might like to try "World Turning," since in a Rolling Stone feature piece she once said she loves to blare this tune in her car as she drives along the California highway. And as the tour rehearsals in the DR documentary proved, neither Stevie or Lindsey can hit the highest notes of that tune anymore--the ones Chris would be prevailed upon to sing.
I'll say it again.... if you want to do Christine songs... no problem with me... just do them so i'm either moved or think it's really interesting... and for that matter do the LB and Sn the same way... I want to hear the magic again... not the re gurge it tation......
Old 03-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'll say it again.... if you want to do Christine songs... no problem with me... just do them so i'm either moved or think it's really interesting... and for that matter do the LB and Sn the same way... I want to hear the magic again... not the re gurge it tation......
Christine could help the tour along no end ..... just teach Stevie the bloody words to Don't Stop.

I still cannot imagine anyone else sitting alone at the piano singing Songbird at a FM concert.

Gail
Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At least it's not Vanessa Carlton.

Crow is the best choice. She's always been a fan of FM and SN. She sings great (and even sweetened vocal tracks for a few other vocal singers, which I won't say who) and will bring back the 3 part harmonies.