The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Ledgie

Default Has Stevie visited Chris in recent years?

Does anyone know if Stevie has visited Chris lately? I recall reading somewhere that she used to, once a year or so (probably when she was touring in or passing through Europe?). We all know Chris isn't going to visit Stevie!
They were so close for so many years, it would be sad to think they have lost contact permanently. They used to support and defend each other during the FM years together, and from what I read, were good friends when Chris retired.
Also, I worry about Chris alone (?) in that big house for what, 17 or so years now? It probably isn't emotionally healthy. What will happen to her when one and then both of her dogs pass away and she has only the occasional visit from her nephew or whoever? If her small town is like the ones here in New England, she'll probably always be considered an outsider by the townspeople so I doubt she has good friends among her neighbors.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never bought it when Stevie would talk about her friendship with Christine. I think professionally they had respect with each other, and worked well together. But, in their off time, I don't know that they had a close and personal relationship.

As for Christine growing old and lonely in her big old house, the same could be same for Stevie. Neither has children, and as far as we know, neither has a steady boyfriend. Christine could very well be living just like Stevie, happily surrounded by an entorouge of assistants, yes-men, and girlfriends. The only difference, is Christine is permanently based in a restored wonderful house in England, and Stevie hops from house to house like a gypsy.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
As for Christine growing old and lonely in her big old house, the same could be same for Stevie. Neither has children, and as far as we know, neither has a steady boyfriend. Christine could very well be living just like Stevie, happily surrounded by an entorouge of assistants, yes-men, and girlfriends. The only difference, is Christine is permanently based in a restored wonderful house in England, and Stevie hops from house to house like a gypsy.
I doubt if Christine is completely alone in the house. A house that size doesn't run itself so she's bound to have some help. I bet it's not an entourage as such but small, loyal band of staff. She's still close to her manager Martin Wyatt so I expect he visits her on occasions and her brother is supposed to live not too far away. I don't think Christine is the type of woman to have a lot of girlfriends.

the village she lives in is quite small but it has got it's own pub (The Rose) but no shops. She also spends a couple of days a week in her London flat and I'm sure she sees her old friends on a regular basis.

I imagine her spending her days cooking, looking after the garden (or telling the gardner what she wants done) playing or listening to music and spending time with her family.

A happy and peaceful retirement - she's earned it.

Gail
Old 02-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never bought it when Stevie would talk about her friendship with Christine. I think professionally they had respect with each other, and worked well together. But, in their off time, I don't know that they had a close and personal relationship.

My impression was they got pretty close in the late 80s when they were fronting the Tango and BTM lineups. Both have individually expressed a genuine warmth for the other. Not that they're best buds, but I believe Stevie when she says she values Chris as a colleague and friend.

As for growing old and lonely, Chris may have become a recluse in her retirement but she appears to be happier now than she ever had before. She's surrounded by her family, friends, those little dogs, and is quite possibly enjoying an occasional romance.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not worried about Chris. She talked about how happy she was in her retirement in several ITM interviews. Her brother only lives about 10 minutes away from her & she's very, very close to Martin Wyatt also. She sounded like she is extremely close to her family. I also have a feeling that she's had some romance in her life in recent years. I don't think of her as a recluse. She's just living a nice, quiet, NORMAL life nowdays. And, of course, she's got those cute little dogs.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine has managed to accomplish something that most celebrities can't. She is living a quiet life away from the spotlight without a lot of media types bugging her all the time. It's really remarkable when you think of it, but it's almost as if the media establishment respects her wish to have a quiet, normal life. Has she even done a single interview since 'In the Meantime'? That's four years ago now.

I really don't think we fans need to worry about how she spends her time and if she's safe in her big house. I'm sure she's well taken care of.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Junior Ledgie

Does any know the name of the villiage in which Christine lives becasue i allways wanted to see if i could see on google maps
Old 02-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Christine has managed to accomplish something that most celebrities can't. She is living a quiet life away from the spotlight without a lot of media types bugging her all the time. It's really remarkable when you think of it, but it's almost as if the media establishment respects her wish to have a quiet, normal life. Has she even done a single interview since 'In the Meantime'? That's four years ago now.

I really don't think we fans need to worry about how she spends her time and if she's safe in her big house. I'm sure she's well taken care of.
I agree Christine wanted that life, so she is peaceful and happy with it, good for her and no need to worry. Though sometimes when you see a grown (old..) person living alone.. is kind of sad.. but anyway, everyone has it's own style of happiness.

Hope the band visited her when they played in England (at least Chris went to the show). Not sure if Stevie visits her periodically, but it would be good that they keep in touch.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By all accounts Stevie and Christine were closest during the 1970s after that things went downhill particularly as LA Nicks went solo and got more into drugs and became difficult to work with ....they reconciled somewhat after Nicks finally cleaned up in the 1990s but I don't think they're that close nor would Christine be likely to invite her over for a visit..Where did anyone get the idea that she had?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
By all accounts Stevie and Christine were closest during the 1970s after that things went downhill particularly as LA Nicks went solo and got more into drugs and became difficult to work with ....they reconciled somewhat after Nicks finally cleaned up in the 1990s but I don't think they're that close nor would Christine be likely to invite her over for a visit..Where did anyone get the idea that she had?
In an interview with, I think, Interview magazine back when SYW was just released, Stevie mentioned visiting Christine in England, but that was at her London home. Stevie also mentioned that Christine lives in a "castle." Hyperbole, to be sure, but she spoke with admiration for Christine and her choices.

Many accounts cite that the women were friendly in the 70s, especially when they lived together during the making of Rumors, but both have also expressed genuine feelings of friendship for one another during the late 80s and 90s, when they were building the "new" band after Lindsey left. In between these times, they didn't see one another much--as Christine admitted in a 1984 interview with Rolling Stone.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 02-09-2008 at 01:35 AM..
Old 02-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Many accounts cite that the women were friendly in the 70s, especially when they lived together during the making of Rumors, but both have also expressed genuine feelings of friendship for one another during the late 80s and 90s, when they were building the "new" band after Lindsey left. In between these times, they didn't see one another much--as Christine admitted in a 1984 interview with Rolling Stone.
I believe the quote from that 1984 RS. acticle was something like this and I''m going from my 45 year old memory so forgive me if I'm a few words off:"She 's living in a fantasy world which I'm no longer a part of ..we don't socialize much"

Old 02-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Yes, aside from the occasional email, I don't think Christine and Stevie are particularly friendly, although I'm sure they love each other. While I think Stevie just believes Chris lives in a castle and raises sheep, I don't think she knows from experience. Still, I don't think Chris would necessarily have to invite Stevie to her home. If Stevie just showed up unexpectedly one day, I'm sure Christine would let her in. No need to stand on protocol.

When Mick talked of the band being in England for the SYW tour, he said they would probably have dinner with Chris, but it sounds like that never happened. She came to the show and saw them, but if they were together outside of the arena, no one ever mentioned it.

Michele
Old 02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
While I think Stevie just believes Chris lives in a castle and raises sheep, I don't think she knows from experience.
Michele
That's what makes me think Stevie has never visited her home in Kent.

It is not a castle or a farm.

she may have been to her London flat and it seems they all met up in Dec 03 after their last concert in London. But I'm not so sure she's been to Kent.

Somehow I can't picture her there.

Gail
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed. And I'm pretty damn sure Stevie has never visited Christine in Kent.