User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
When the release was first announced I was sort of flamed here by stating there was not enough "new" or unreleased songs that would make a re-release special. I knew they would never release any live songs without Lindsey. In some strange way, the re-release is about as exciting as the original release in my book. There are definitely some great songs and special moments. However they are way to far between in my book. The Tusk re-release was out of this world with unheard live tracks and different versions of the songs. Mirage was decent but no new live tracks. The HBO concert can only go so far.
One interesting thing about Tango is that its considered to be the Mac's second most successful album (I would question that because the Dance went to #1 and sold just as many copies I believe). However, the album only sold 3 million copies in the United States. In 1987 for an album to have 2 top 5 singles and 2 top 20 singles that is actually poor sales. In the late 80's they changed the way album sales were tabulated and album rankings were also changed. If you remember the Garth Brooks/Motley Crue controversy (if you are too young google it). Tango peaked at #7 which tells you sales were sluggish. Please don't flame me I am not knocking the album or the sales. I am stating that the sales were bleak compared to radio airplay vs other artists. It no doubt was a hit album and a success but it did not attract many new Mac fans. The songs got airplay but people were not flocking to buy the album.
They didn't change the way album sales were tabulated until Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data for Nielsen and Billboard on March 1, 1991.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I have to disagree about the comments that Tango was not that successful in the US. It was. There were 4 major Top 20 singles that were extremely popular and the album spent more than seven months within the Top 20 and ten months within the Top 40 so the fact that it only peaked at #7 is irrelevant. Look at the Greatest Hits album. That only peaked at #14 and that's coming up to 10 million sales now.

Because of the string of hit singles the album sold steadily and not all at once like Mirage did. That album sold lots of copies in the space of about four months and then it completely dropped off the radar. That album spent five weeks at #1 and yet it didn't sell as much as Tango. There you have it.
Did you read my entire post? I never said Tango was not a success. I said based on the long string of top 40 hits and heavy rotation MTV play 2 million copies is an average at best sales. If you add the part of Fleetwood Mac being a super group who reunited after half a decade, I was surprised the album did not sell more in the United States. The album sold as many copies in countries with a fraction of the population of the USA. That is odd.
I am not making any judgments about the band...simply stating fact and putting things in proportion. Initially, It was as successful as Stevie's Wild Heart even though Wild Heart charted higher. Over time it sold more than Wild Heart.
Long story short...after waiting 5 years for a miracle to happen ...a new Mac release and tons of video play, big radio hits......2 million sales in the USA was underwhelming IMHO. It should have sold double of sales in England (at least). In the late 80's the economy of the USA was booming and music was selling like hot cakes.
I keep repeating myself because there will be another post of saying "I disagree that tango was not a success" LMAO
I seem to really have hit a nerve with the Seven Wonders crowd. Don't get me started how Seven Wonders killed the album. As soon as Seven Wonders was released the album dropped from the top 10 and barely cracked the top 20. If they released Little Lies (the album's biggest hit) after Big Love, it would have kept the momentum going.
(now I really stirred the pot)
If one more person accuses me of saying Tango was not successful I am bringing my guitar to their house and going to sing "When I see you again"
Look at the glass half full and not empty. It should have been more successful. Look at the artists who sold albums in 1987 and compare them to the Mac. One top 10 hit from an unknown artist and their album sold almost as much as Tango. THAT is what I am saying.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-07-2017 at 07:13 AM..
Old 04-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really have to take issue with this notion that TITN was not a success

Do you realize HOW MANY covers from TITN appeared on Kids Incorporated?!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If one more person accuses me of saying Tango was not successful I am bringing my guitar to their house and going to sing "When I see you again"
I think a more effective threat would be to to sing Family Man
Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So I noticed when I opened my copy that all of the individual CD sleeves are dinged up. Like, the black paper is flaking off in multiple places, leaving the white paper exposed.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, my case, booklet and CDs are mint .
Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did you read my entire post? I never said Tango was not a success. I said based on the long string of top 40 hits and heavy rotation MTV play 2 million copies is an average at best sales. If you add the part of Fleetwood Mac being a super group who reunited after half a decade, I was surprised the album did not sell more in the United States. The album sold as many copies in countries with a fraction of the population of the USA. That is odd.
I am not making any judgments about the band...simply stating fact and putting things in proportion. Initially, It was as successful as Stevie's Wild Heart even though Wild Heart charted higher. Over time it sold more than Wild Heart.
Long story short...after waiting 5 years for a miracle to happen ...a new Mac release and tons of video play, big radio hits......2 million sales in the USA was underwhelming IMHO. It should have sold double of sales in England (at least). In the late 80's the economy of the USA was booming and music was selling like hot cakes.
I keep repeating myself because there will be another post of saying "I disagree that tango was not a success" LMAO
I seem to really have hit a nerve with the Seven Wonders crowd. Don't get me started how Seven Wonders killed the album. As soon as Seven Wonders was released the album dropped from the top 10 and barely cracked the top 20. If they released Little Lies (the album's biggest hit) after Big Love, it would have kept the momentum going.
(now I really stirred the pot)
Look at the glass half full and not empty. It should have been more successful. Look at the artists who sold albums in 1987 and compare them to the Mac. One top 10 hit from an unknown artist and their album sold almost as much as Tango. THAT is what I am saying.
I was a huge Stevie fan but when that song was released as a single...ugh. I HATED her new style of singing. Warbling, over the top, and out of control. yuk.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I was a huge Stevie fan but when that song was released as a single...ugh. I HATED her new style of singing. Warbling, over the top, and out of control. yuk.
I used to think similarly, but reconsidered when I isolated how effective her vocals are on Tango without comparing her vocals to those pre-Wild Heart.

It's being discussed on the "When I See You Again" board, but in my view Stevie's over-the-top, warbling vocals actually BENEFIT Tango because they balance against meticulous slickness that is the rest of the album. The way she sings gives her song more texture and more passion than any of Lindsey's songs and most of Christine's. Tango is so polished and perfect, Stevie's erratic vocals break the flow and make the album more varied and more alive.

This is not to bash Lindsey or Chrstine's songs; I think they're both at the top of their game on Tango. But I don't detect the same obvious emotion on Isn't It Midnight or Big Love, they're more atmospheric.

Bare in mind I'm not saying that these songs SHOULD have more emotion. Little Lies would be downright goofy if Christine was crying all over the keyboard during the verses. It's about balance, and Stevie's songs balance out the others (even if they're lacking in quality). Without her I'm not sure the album would be as memorable as a whole.

Not sure if any of that made sense, but that's how I've seen it.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Seven wonders peaked at #19 but was a top 10 on the rock chart and still gets airplay. It didn't kill the album. Little Lies was a bigger hit and spiked sales, true. But the former didn't kill sales.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The album never returned to the US top ten after the first single dropped, but stayed in the US top 40 for months and was a steady seller. Little Lies helped spike sales. Seven Wonders didn't kill anything.

Last edited by TheWildHeart67; 04-08-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I really have to take issue with this notion that TITN was not a success

Do you realize HOW MANY covers from TITN appeared on Kids Incorporated?!
The record was everywhere (pardon the pun). Rolling Stone noted in a interview that Neil Young had it on in his truck. I guess you had to be there.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't stop listening to the masterpiece that is the COMPLETE "You and I, Part I and II"!!! It's sooooooooooooo nice to finally have this in pristine condition in ALL its six minutes and twenty eight second glory!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The record was everywhere (pardon the pun). Rolling Stone noted in a interview that Neil Young had it on in his truck. I guess you had to be there.
You really couldn't go anywhere without hearing it.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TITN sold close to 15 million worldwide. 3 million in the united States
Old 04-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I can't stop listening to the masterpiece that is the COMPLETE "You and I, Part I and II"!!! It's sooooooooooooo nice to finally have this in pristine condition in ALL its six minutes and twenty eight second glory!!!
Totally agree!

I always found Part II to be skippable before, but it really sounds great up against Part I.