Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I wont allow any TOSOTM bashing on this board . Its a purely magical album that has incredible writing on most of the songs. Her vocals were so strong and she re-discovered her voice again. Its classic Stevie and probably her last solo album before her voice started to change for the worse.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I wont allow any TOSOTM bashing on this board . Its a purely magical album that has incredible writing on most of the songs. Her vocals were so strong and she re-discovered her voice again. Its classic Stevie and probably her last solo album before her voice started to change for the worse.
It's a horrible album full of terrible vocals. She ruined Cry Wolf with her awful vocals. After I listened to that album, I threw it in the trash. I also noticed that tons of people were returning it and it dominated the resale bins. It may be the album that hurt her most. People bought it and then realized it was awful. The only reason it is platinum is because of The Dance. It's terrible album with lazy lyrics and vocals. The production is also all wrong.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

does You & Part I sound a tiny bit faster, and like half a step up in key to anyone, or have I just been listening to a horrible quality 45 rip all these years?

Last edited by The Chain; 04-02-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
does You & Part I sound a tiny bit faster, and like half a step up in key to anyone, or have I just been listening to a horrible quality 45 rip all these years?

I thought the exact same thing. I think that a different take may have been used. Because the intro is like twenty seconds longer, and certain vocal parts sound different.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
It's a horrible album full of terrible vocals. She ruined Cry Wolf with her awful vocals. After I listened to that album, I threw it in the trash. I also noticed that tons of people were returning it and it dominated the resale bins. It may be the album that hurt her most. People bought it and then realized it was awful. The only reason it is platinum is because of The Dance. It's terrible album with lazy lyrics and vocals. The production is also all wrong.
People think I'm a complete Stevie hater, which isn't true.

Bella Donna is a god damned MASTERPIECE. I love that album, and if I could only pick 20 albums to listen to for the rest of my life, BD would make the cut!

Wild Heart was damned good, but not quite as good as BD.

Rock a Little...ugh, Mama was starting to slip. It was still passable, but barely.

OSOTM - sheer and utter GARBAGE. I tried to make myself like it, for MONTHS, and just couldn't. It's horrible! Mama had lost her gift, and my fandom was over. Other than a Dance blip, these is no Stevie to me after 83-84. She is dead to me.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
If I remember correctly your favorite song is Talk To Me and you love Rock A Little. That's cool but I am 100% opposite. TOSOTM had real instruments and guitars, real drums, etc. In addition she wrote most of the songs compared to RAL. Her voice was a disaster on RAL and if I were Jimmy I would have walked away too. Her voice is supreme on TOSOTM. Its back to Bella Donna roots. No cheezy pop songs but deep writing. Its definitely one of my favorites. Blue Eyes and Cry Wolf were disasters though. Cry Wolf was given to almost every singer during the 80's. Even Laura Brannigan recorded it RAL is the ONLY Stevie album I never upgraded to CD. I threw the album away many years ago and its her only work missing from the collection. Not only is it the worst Stevie album ever but I would also say its one of the worst albums of the entire 80's decade. And this is coming from someone that worshipped at the Stevie altar during the entire 80's. Stevie fans are in two worlds. Those that like Talk to Me, Seven Wonders, Everyday, etc and those that like the deep meaning songs. We don't understand each other and see past each other. Long Way To go, Ghosts, Ooh My Love, Escape from Berlin, Rooms on Fire, and Two Kinds of Love are some of Stevie's best songs and work IMHO.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-02-2017 at 07:43 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You are quite the interesting fan. If I remember correctly your favorite song is Talk To Me and you love Rock A Little. That's cool but I am 100% opposite. TOSOTM had real instruments and guitars, real drums, etc. In addition she wrote most of the songs compared to RAL. Her voice was a disaster on RAL and if I were Jimmy I would have walked away too. Her voice is supreme on TOSOTM. Its back to Bella Donna roots. No cheezy pop songs but deep writing. Its definitely one of my favorites. Blue Eyes and Cry Wolf were disasters though. Cry Wolf was given to almost every singer during the 80's. Even Laura Brannigan recorded it RAL is the ONLY Stevie album I never upgraded to CD. I threw the album away many years ago and its her only work missing from the collection. Not only is it the worst Stevie album ever but I would also say its one of the worst albums of the entire 80's decade. And this is coming from someone that worshipped at the Stevie altar during the entire 80's. Stevie fans are in two worlds. Those that like Talk to Me, Seven Wonders, Welcome to the Room Sara, Everyday, etc and those that like the deep meaning songs. We don't understand each other and see past each other. Long Way To go, Ghosts, Ooh My Love, Escape from Berlin, Rooms on Fire, and Two Kinds of Love are some of Stevie's best songs and work IMHO.
And yet ROCK A LITTLE has one thoroughly enjoyable song for me: "Imperial Hotel." Most people dislike it or forget about it but it was the one song on RAL that excited me when I first heard the record. The rest of it saddened me. It was so thickly produced and so pumped up with expectation but terrible singing is terrible singing. Her signature song, HAEWAFY, sounded fantastic when Stevie sang it on Storytellers in 1998. But on RAL it sounds pretty awful. Not so with "Imperial Hotel." There her vocal energy is off the charts and for a little over two minutes I remembered why I got turned onto Stevie's music in the first place. I still feel this way.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie fans are in two worlds. Those that like Talk to Me, Seven Wonders, Everyday, etc and those that like the deep meaning songs. We don't understand each other and see past each other. Long Way To go, Ghosts, Ooh My Love, Escape from Berlin, Rooms on Fire, and Two Kinds of Love are some of Stevie's best songs and work IMHO.
Not true- I love Talk to Me but not Everyday. In fact, I love Talk to Me about as much as I love Rooms on Fire. I do like Doing the Best I Can but think it's way over produced (the pounding on the piano or keyboards during "I was silent, I was locked away..." for example), but Stevie is so raw and open, it transcends the production. Anyway, just pointing out that fans can like her "deep meaning songs" as much as her top 10, Grammy nominated songs!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Not true- I love Talk to Me but not Everyday. In fact, I love Talk to Me about as much as I love Rooms on Fire. I do like Doing the Best I Can but think it's way over produced (the pounding on the piano or keyboards during "I was silent, I was locked away..." for example), but Stevie is so raw and open, it transcends the production. Anyway, just pointing out that fans can like her "deep meaning songs" as much as her top 10, Grammy nominated songs!
Now how would I have guessed you love Talk To Me
Old 04-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Now how would I have guessed you love Talk To Me
Well, I've shown you all my cards, now isn't that enough?!? Lol!

Gotta know, since you mentioned Ooh My Love, what do you think of the Tango version? The music blows me away every time I hear it! So different from her Mirror version, but fascinating nonetheless.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

For me, TOSOTM has a run of songs in the middle of it that redeem the album -- "Ooh My Love," "Ghosts," "Whole Lotta Trouble" and "Fire burning." I'm not saying they're great works of art, but I enjoy them as pop songs. RAL, on the other hand, has almost nothing to redeem it. And I'd also place TOSOTM above Street Angel and about on the same level as Trouble In Shangri-La. I can understand why it's disliked by a lot of people, but I have a bit of a soft spot for it.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, my- I thought everyone agreed OSOTM was better than Street Angel! I thought side 1 of Mirror was Stevie's strongest in a long time- Rooms on Fire, Long Way to Go, Two Kinds of Love, Ooh My Love, and Ghosts are all pretty spectacular. The album loses me until Doing the Best I Can and Blue Eyes, though.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If I remember correctly your favorite song is Talk To Me and you love Rock A Little. That's cool but I am 100% opposite. TOSOTM had real instruments and guitars, real drums, etc. In addition she wrote most of the songs compared to RAL. Her voice was a disaster on RAL and if I were Jimmy I would have walked away too. Her voice is supreme on TOSOTM. Its back to Bella Donna roots. No cheezy pop songs but deep writing. Its definitely one of my favorites. Blue Eyes and Cry Wolf were disasters though. Cry Wolf was given to almost every singer during the 80's. Even Laura Brannigan recorded it RAL is the ONLY Stevie album I never upgraded to CD. I threw the album away many years ago and its her only work missing from the collection. Not only is it the worst Stevie album ever but I would also say its one of the worst albums of the entire 80's decade. And this is coming from someone that worshipped at the Stevie altar during the entire 80's. Stevie fans are in two worlds. Those that like Talk to Me, Seven Wonders, Everyday, etc and those that like the deep meaning songs. We don't understand each other and see past each other. Long Way To go, Ghosts, Ooh My Love, Escape from Berlin, Rooms on Fire, and Two Kinds of Love are some of Stevie's best songs and work IMHO.
?????? Huh??? Talk to me is a really good song but I don't like the album Rock A Little. It's a lot better than TOSOTM though.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TOSOTM to me is meh. Trying too hard to be mysterious, with more lyrical messes than ever, like in Two Kinds of Love and Ghosts. The real issue I have is that it lacks a deep ballad. My experience with her solo work has been to search for that delicious ballad with its great vocal, then work backwards to try to appreciate some of the other tracks. As for TITN, it brought me back to FM and Stevie after some years of wandering away, triggered by Bella Donna, which I still think was badly conceived and grotesquely produced. In 1987 Seven Wonders was all over the radio and it brought me back.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Oh, my- I thought everyone agreed OSOTM was better than Street Angel! I thought side 1 of Mirror was Stevie's strongest in a long time- Rooms on Fire, Long Way to Go, Two Kinds of Love, Ooh My Love, and Ghosts are all pretty spectacular. The album loses me until Doing the Best I Can and Blue Eyes, though.
It is. 2/3 of OSOTM is very good to great and Stevie still calls it her magic album and for the most part I would agree. Street Angel while having a few good songs is her weakest IMHO.