Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My Mother's Rings

Several Ledgies have referenced an interview circa 2012 or 2013 on YouTube in which Stevie refers to a song she wrote after Barbara passed, called My Mother's Rings.

Why has this not been released to coincide with the new box set?
Old 03-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Several Ledgies have referenced an interview circa 2012 or 2013 on YouTube in which Stevie refers to a song she wrote after Barbara passed, called My Mother's Rings.

Why has this not been released to coincide with the new box set?
I'm very curious about how it sounds, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it never surfaces. One would imagine it has to be a really emotional and highly personal thing.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s probably awful
Old 03-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I'm very curious about how it sounds, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it never surfaces. One would imagine it has to be a really emotional and highly personal thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
It’s probably awful
Of these two quotes, I'm more inclined to support Feather Blade's analysis. It would almost certainly be a very emotional lyric that she may wish to keep for herself and her family only, to be played by just her solo on piano and vocals, at occasions when they get together to remember their mother and grandmother. Maybe she even performed it at the private funeral, if there was one.

"It's probably awful" smacks of bitter, anti-Stevie sentiment. Not only have you never heard the song, your instinct is to go straight for the negative. Don't be such a downer.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"It's probably awful" smacks of bitter, anti-Stevie sentiment. Not only have you never heard the song, your instinct is to go straight for the negative. Don't be such a downer.
The same could be said for every post that Jondalar has ever made about Stevie. Negative seems to be the default approach to...well...everything.

There are so many great Stevie tracks that haven't yet properly seen the light of day. Space Needle, Call On Me For Magic, Julia etc...this will become another one of those and yet more support that the next boxset has been a wasted opportunity.

Did anyone get the recent Kate Bush boxsets? It's all her albums plus b-sides and rarities, digitally remastered. I would love Stevie to put together something like that. "Stevie Nicks - The Complete Studio Recordings". All her solo stuff, b-sides, alternate mixes, remixes etc. Every song that has been completed. Not demos particularly but certainly including completed album outtakes.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of these two quotes, I'm more inclined to support Feather Blade's analysis. It would almost certainly be a very emotional lyric that she may wish to keep for herself and her family only, to be played by just her solo on piano and vocals, at occasions when they get together to remember their mother and grandmother. Maybe she even performed it at the private funeral, if there was one.

I also know she lost her touch. She better have a co-writer.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I also know she lost her touch. She better have a co-writer.
You Can't Fix This has a beautiful, dark lyric. And the new lyrics written for I Don't Care in 2014 are very nice too ("I don't mean it/I do care/I would follow you anywhere/What would my life be without you in it?")

She has proven in recent memory that she still has a talent for at least writing words, even if she has scant new chord progressions to offer.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You Can't Fix This has a beautiful, dark lyric. And the new lyrics written for I Don't Care in 2014 are very nice too ("I don't mean it/I do care/I would follow you anywhere/What would my life be without you in it?")

She has proven in recent memory that she still has a talent for at least writing words, even if she has scant new chord progressions to offer.
If you like the juvenile lyrics in I Don’t Care and You Can’t Fix This then you have poor taste. Those songs have great music and production but were ruined by the lyrics.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

probably because it's not a 'song' as the world understands the meaning of that word, i.e. words and music. It's just words in one of her notebooks. She needs a musician to put it to music.

Just like the song she claims she's written/writing about Anthony Bourdain.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

Just like the song she claims she's written/writing about Anthony Bourdain.
ugh ..If I ever hear that one I may be tempted to join him.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
ugh ..If I ever hear that one I may be tempted to join him.
Come on. You love the forgotten chimpanzee. Don’t pretend. Why couldn’t Bourdain be as good as Jane.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Come on. You love the forgotten chimpanzee. Don’t pretend. Why couldn’t Bourdain be as good as Jane.

God help us with this Anthony Bourdain song.