The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's incredibly cool that they're releasing "Peacekeeper" as the first single. The Mac have never been particularly political in the past _ although I guess they had politics foisted on them in 1992 during Clinton's campaign _ so this is a dramatic change of pace for them.
The lyrics are very eloquent. But I admit I may be biased because I happen to agree with the song's message.
You know, I wonder what, specifically, Lindsey wrote this song about. He must have written it long before Bush's stand-off with Iraq began building... but he may have written it during one of our past airstrikes on the Iraq or Yugoslavia.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hopefully, LB will go into what it is about during the hopefully pending media hoopla.

I think its great they are releasing it because whatever it is about (we could be way off base you know ), it certainly fits the times and timing has never been FM's forte - e.g. Illume - great sentiment, but the fact remains it is two and half years after the fact. More importantly, Peacekeeper apparently is not really an in your face I am against war no matter what the reason and no matter what they say, Bush is just a warmonger leading a coalition of the bribed for oil kind of song.

Hopefully, Warner/Reprise is thinking this will get it played on the radio. As mentioned, any help FM can get is this area is great as they are all over 50 and not rapping or exposing navels to get the publicity

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BombaySapphire3
While the sentiment of this song will go over well here (The Bay Area)and western Europe it may not be so warmly embraced in middle America aka the Bush/Bible belt. where the perception of forgein affairs is generally not as sophisticated.
What an awful thing to say about Middle America (and the rest of the U.S.A.)! Are you basically implying that the people of “The Bay Area” know more about international affairs than the rest of us? Maybe you should read your statement over again to figure out why some people may find this a bit offensive. What about William J. Clinton? He’s from Arkansas, but does this make his perceptions of the world less sophisticated?

Besides, why does Peacekeeper have to be about politics? I remember that Stevie once said in an interview that she’s the peacekeeper in the band. The song could be about the band, or maybe it’s about something that is more on a personal level. The song was also a prefect fit for the theme of the Third Watch episode. It could be about anything. Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey we did not elect Shrub here!(Well technically
I don't think you did in Florida either!)I also just saw a poll where about 60% of people here opposed the war that figure was reversed nationally with 60% supporting it.Those veiws don't jibe with much of the rest of the world.Maybe I shoud not have just picked on "Middle America'I know there are a preponderance of war hawks down in San Diego and Orange county as well.I am also aware of the 40% nationally that oppose it so there is hope.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 02-27-2003 at 04:28 PM..
Old 02-27-2003, 04:38 PM

"they are all over 50 and not rapping or exposing navels to get the publicity"

Strandinthewind, I don't know about you, but if John exposes his navel in concert with a navel ring, I'm gonna go back to country music.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BombaySapphire3
Hey we did not elect Shrub here!(Well technically
I don't think you did in Floridia either!)I also just saw a poll where about 60% of people here opposed the war that figure was reversed nationally with 60% supporting it.Those veiws don't jibe with much of the rest of the world.Maybe I shoud not have just picked on "Middle America'I know there are a preponderance of war hawks down in San Diego and Orange county as well.I am also aware of the 40% nationally that oppose it so there is hope.
I thought we were talking about Middle America & Peacekeeper. How does the Presidential election figure into this picture (and the war polls for that matter)?

You have your opinion and I have mine. If you want to turn this into a political debate, then go right ahead. I just don't think this is the proper forum for it.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Besides, why does Peacekeeper have to be about politics? I remember that Stevie once said in an interview that she’s the peacekeeper in the band. The song could be about the band, or maybe it’s about something that is more on a personal level. The song was also a prefect fit for the theme of the Third Watch episode. It could be about anything. Just a thought.
I've said many times already that Peacekeeper might be a kind of rebuttal after Lindsey hearing the line from Fall from Grace, "High priestess, she's the keeper of the peace in this..." It all depends on when the song was written though.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rainman

Strandinthewind, I don't know about you, but if John exposes his navel in concert with a navel ring, I'm gonna go back to country music.

Maybe John can wear a pig tailed wig and make up as well. Maybe his navel ring could get caught in Mick's "balls" during World Turning (yet another reason not to do that song ) AARRGGHH!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
I've said many times already that Peacekeeper might be a kind of rebuttal after Lindsey hearing the line from Fall from Grace, "High priestess, she's the keeper of the peace in this..." It all depends on when the song was written though.
This is exactly what I was thinking about. For all we know, Peacekeeper could have been written many moons ago. Does anyone know when Fall From Grace was written by Stevie? Anythings possible, right?
Old 02-27-2003, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Politics

Quote:
While the sentiment of this song will go over well here (The Bay Area)and western Europe it may not be so warmly embraced in middle America aka the Bush/Bible belt. where the perception of forgein affairs is generally not as sophisticated.
What kind of BULL**** statement is that!? I think people in middle America and other places in the world can think just fine for themselves without having the liberally controlled media brainwashing our minds. You're way off base on your statement and it is offensive.

Thank you Karen for your replies(rebuttals).....I agree wholeheartedly!

Joe
Old 02-27-2003, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I work in an office full of attorneys who are all diehard DEMOCRATS. In fact, one of our partners was the Travis County Chairperson for the Democratic Party for several years. Did I mention that I live in Austin, Texas? That's right, baby! Good ol' George Dubbya used to be our idiotic governor and now he's an idiotic President! In other words, we don't all support him here in the "bible belt."

President Clinton spoke here recently and reiterated a point I've worried about for a long time, which is that North Korea is a bigger threat to us (and the world) than Iraq, and that Bush should be paying more attention to them. Something else I read recently referred to North Korea as the "nuclear missile Wal-Mart of the world."

Anyone care to move this conversation to the "chit-chat" forum?

But back to the original topic of this thread - I don't think Lindsey writes retaliatory songs back to Stevie anymore. I think they are past that, well at least Lindsey is. Stevie seems to live in the past more than he does, especially when you consider that so many of her old songs from the 70's are still being released as new material. I think the "peacekeeper" phrase is just a coincedence. Just my 2 cents - song interpretations have always boggled my mind.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe that Fall From Grace was written around the time of The Dance......I heard somewhere that it was about her relationship with Lindsey at the time....although that could just all be speculation.....I really don't know. Don't ya just love how we find a way to make all of their songs about eachother?? HA! In a perfect world.....

Kristin
Old 02-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Politics

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
What kind of BULL**** statement is that!? I think people in middle America and other places in the world can think just fine for themselves without having the liberally controlled media brainwashing our minds. You're way off base on your statement and it is offensive.
Joe - I feel the same way. It just blew me away that someone would intentionally put down the rest of the U.S. (and other parts of the world) with such generalizations.

Kristen - Thanks for clearing up the timeline regarding Fall From Grace. Peacekeeper may not be a rebuttal to this song, but you never know. I just find it hard to believe that it's about what's currently going on in the world.

Livia - If you want to start a thread about politics in the Chit-Chat Forum, then that would probably be the place to do it. I'm sure that there are others who may find it interesting.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Re: CATCHY AS HECK!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
but it's DANG CATCHY, that's for sure...
Absolutely... This is an addictive song, and is very radio friendly. Great choice to have it as the new single!

Old 02-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb GOOD GRAVY!!

Back to the TOPIC at hand...PEACEKEEPER...THE SONG!! LMAO!!

I have been singing the song ALL DAY AT WORK!! LOL Well, under my breath, since I work in a "SILENCE OR ELSE" kind of workplace. (I do data entry...OOOH FUN!! ) I have pretty much remembered the lyrics, except for the second verse at the end, I have trouble there..LOL I LOVE IT!!!!!

APRIL 15TH...GET HERE SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!