Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Most Accurate Bios By People Who Were There

So I've read pretty much every interview with this band from '75 onward, I've read Carol Ann's memoir, and I just got Mick's first autobiography for my birthday. But I still want to know more about this band. So in you's guys' opinion, which books on the Mac are the most accurate? I prefer writings from people who were actually there and witnessed what was going on which is why I got Storms and My Life and Adventure with Fleetwood Mac. Do you think these 2 books are accurate enough? Are there others out there that are better?

Also, I'm aware that Pattie Boyd has a memoir. Seeing as she's Mick's first wife's sister, does she have anything to say about the band?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only band-authorized "official" bio was Samuel Graham's Authorized History of Fleetwood Mac, but that's primarily a marketing artifact.

The band's very first, interim bassist, Bob Brunning, also wrote a couple of books.

Ken Caillat's book on the studio experience is I'm sure authoritative.

The best thing any fan can do is to plow through the Penguin's Blue Letter Archives right here.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe 95% of Carol Ann's book. I mean, there are always three versions of the truth. What happened in each party's own eyes, but the actual truth is somewhere in the middle of both of those versions.

However, Mick is a drama queen, and I'd say about half of his book is true.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Carol Anns book was a fun, light read, interesting, and I'm sure the gist of it is true. I know there are some things that have been proven untrue though, for instance, her writing of the AMA awards and who helped Lindsey up the stairs. So I'm in no position to say how much is true or untrue. But it was fun to read.

Bob Brunnings book was pretty boring, IMO.

As was Cath Carrolls book (can't think of the name right now), it was just a bunch of well known regurgitation.

Ken's book was interesting, if you want a little bit about the social aspect of the band, and lot's about the recording of Rumours technically.

Micks 2 books were basically repeats of each other, with only some new additions in the 2nd one. But I take what he says with a grain of salt, as he told me he couldn't remember the 70's AT ALL during a meet n greet. And he's full of you know what...........

Richard Dashuts overviews of people on Facebook are extremely interesting, and my guess is that they are pretty accurate.

Mike Evans book is really pretty (Fleetwood Mac: A Definitive History), has great photos, but not a lot of meat, or any good tidbits. A nice coffee table book with the whole history of the band.

Last edited by lovethemac1; 03-05-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Old 03-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Carol Anns book was a fun, light read, interesting, and I'm sure the gist of it is true. I know there are some things that have been proven untrue though, for instance, her writing of the AMA awards and who helped Lindsey up the stairs. So I'm in no position to say how much is true or untrue. But it was fun to read.

Bob Brunnings book was pretty boring, IMO.

As was Cath Carrolls book (can't think of the name right now), it was just a bunch of well known regurgitation.

Ken's book was interesting, if you want a little bit about the social aspect of the band, and lot's about the recording of Rumours technically.

Micks 2 books were basically repeats of each other, with only some new additions in the 2nd one. But I take what he says with a grain of salt, as he told me he couldn't remember the 70's AT ALL during a meet n greet. And he's full of you know what...........

Richard Dashuts overviews of people on Facebook are extremely interesting, and my guess is that they are pretty accurate.

Mike Evans book is really pretty (Fleetwood Mac: A Definitive History), has great photos, but not a lot of meat, or any good tidbits. A nice coffee table book with the whole history of the band.
I remember when I was at the M&G I told Mick that I'd gotten his autobio and he responded with "Oh dear, you know too much."
Old 03-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pattie Boyd doesn't say much about FM in her book, I think just mentions them once but doesn't say anything about it.
Ken's book was alright but he always comes off so pretentious and it rubs me the wrong way.
Carol Ann is a nutcase but her book is probably the best one for depictions of personalities, settings, overall environment etc. Her perspective regarding herself is probably skewed but I think everything else is likely quite accurate.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Pattie Boyd doesn't say much about FM in her book, I think just mentions them once but doesn't say anything about it.
Ken's book was alright but he always comes off so pretentious and it rubs me the wrong way.
Carol Ann is a nutcase but her book is probably the best one for depictions of personalities, settings, overall environment etc. Her perspective regarding herself is probably skewed but I think everything else is likely quite accurate.
Really? I've read a lot of fanfics where Stevie and Lindsey get back together and Carol becomes a crazy ex hellbent on getting back with him and stalks them both. Are we talking about that kind of crazy?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob Brunning’s book had some very basic factual inaccuracies that made it unreliable, IMO, especially since he stood behind them when called out on them.

Mick’s first book was largely culled from old magazines. It came out when I was a sophomore or junior in high school and found a lot of the original articles in Rolling Stone and Billboard when I was a freshman in college. The parts that were embellished seem on par with the Stephen Davis MO.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
Really? I've read a lot of fanfics where Stevie and Lindsey get back together and Carol becomes a crazy ex hellbent on getting back with him and stalks them both. Are we talking about that kind of crazy?
People who write things like that about real people are weirdos lol.
I used to have her on Facebook (she accepts most requests from FM fans) and she's just bizarre. Really obsessed with her past if you ask me, I'd get it if she was just talking about her book (and even then, that book came out over 10 years ago so it's a bit weird to still be talking about it all the time) but she used to post random old pictures and other little stories and things about her and Lindsey and it was just very strange all things considering. Not to mention if anyone made any even remotely critical comment (for example, people pointing out how video of the AMA incident exists and contradicts her description of it), she'd go very intensely on the defensive. I had to unfriend her just because it was just too much lol. And in general I think people like her and Sara Fleetwood who 'befriend' FM fans and chat with them about the ~old days are super weird. Richard Dashut used to share old pictures and little tidbits but he was very respectful about it.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Billy's book is probably the most accurate, reliable and trustworthy. Bekka should write a book considering the numerous stars she's worked with in her career.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ray Lindsey wrote a book last year - The Care and Feeding of Fleetwood Mac and Other Species: A Wildlife Guide. it is very matter of fact, nice fast read. there are few anecdotes about the band in there we haven't heard before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD7W5CQ...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-06-2019, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ken's book is about the best I've read, though obviously it only covers a short period of time.
Overall I thought Bob Brunning's book was good- a lot of detail regarding certain events that isn't found anywhere else.
Sadly I found Ray Lindsey's book a bit dull; too much about touring in general and not a lot about Fleetwood Mac specifically.
I thought Carol Ann's book was entertaining (once you learn to live with her writing style and constant self pity) and believe most of what she writes.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Ray Lindsey wrote a book last year - The Care and Feeding of Fleetwood Mac and Other Species: A Wildlife Guide. it is very matter of fact, nice fast read. there are few anecdotes about the band in there we haven't heard before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD7W5CQ...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
yes, he gives some interesting insights into the very early days of FM and paints a picture of LB as a very mentoring person (as does Dashut)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Ken's book is about the best I've read, though obviously it only covers a short period of time.
Overall I thought Bob Brunning's book was good- a lot of detail regarding certain events that isn't found anywhere else.
Sadly I found Ray Lindsey's book a bit dull; too much about touring in general and not a lot about Fleetwood Mac specifically.
I thought Carol Ann's book was entertaining (once you learn to live with her writing style and constant self pity) and believe most of what she writes.
I actually really enjoyed her writing style. I like how she compared everything to being a fairytale. Very Stevie-like actually. I guess Lindsey has a thing for whimsical girls.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
People who write things like that about real people are weirdos lol.
I used to have her on Facebook (she accepts most requests from FM fans) and she's just bizarre. Really obsessed with her past if you ask me, I'd get it if she was just talking about her book (and even then, that book came out over 10 years ago so it's a bit weird to still be talking about it all the time) but she used to post random old pictures and other little stories and things about her and Lindsey and it was just very strange all things considering. Not to mention if anyone made any even remotely critical comment (for example, people pointing out how video of the AMA incident exists and contradicts her description of it), she'd go very intensely on the defensive. I had to unfriend her just because it was just too much lol. And in general I think people like her and Sara Fleetwood who 'befriend' FM fans and chat with them about the ~old days are super weird. Richard Dashut used to share old pictures and little tidbits but he was very respectful about it.
Agree re CAH. She is crazy. She attacks anyone who doesn't adore her and her book. Her entire social media presence is promoting the book. She claims she was abused by him but keeps bringing him and the past up constantly. One would think if you have been abused so badly as she claims that you would want to move on with your life yet she seems intent on using the FM brand to keep her name out there and it doesn't seem like she will ever stop.

She has her defenders on social media who are as crazy as she is. One messaged me privately saying I should kill myself for calling out Carol on the factual errors in the book and her constant FM name dropping to get some kind of recognition or financial gain. Pretty crazy. I blocked her because she is truly nuts.

I truly wonder wth she wants. Does she want him back? Does she want him to get on his knees and beg for forgiveness?Does she think he owes her financially? I truly don't get it. It is like she still loves him and hates him in the same breath.