User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Chrissie Hynde interview - for those that don't know her

or don't know her well:

She mentions Fleetwood Mac, almost incidentally. Her philosophy about bands is quite different than FM's!
Old 09-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you are totally a blank, go and listen to her music. You probably know most of these, anyhow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJVbogICFY0
Old 09-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thank you so much for posting that. I've always liked the Pretenders and Chrissie's approach to life and music, but have never listened to an interview of this length with her. It's pretty interesting how much of an antithesis she is to Stevie and Fleetwood Mac. Here she talks about her disdain of material culture/focus on success, bands who become so successful they ride in separate limos to different hotels, how solo acts suck, her dislike of bands that don't keep creating, overly polished music like Fleetwood Mac, her dislike of arena tours, etc. All of it seems squarely aimed at the likes of Stevie and Fleetwood Mac . It really begs the question as to how Chrissie got roped into an arena tour with Stevie.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
:. It really begs the question as to how Chrissie got roped into an arena tour with Stevie.
....................$...................!

we're all whores
everyone has a price
and a bank account that needs refilling
Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree Louie! It's pretty funny! Fleetwood Mac, the big machine, represents everything that Chrissie Hynde detests. Not to mention she is a serious vegetarian that, well, has no use for "meat eaters." She's been through quite a bit, as her book points out. She downplays her talent. I got a call yesterday from a pal that is a major Chrissie fan that is totally excited by the pairing.

I won't "pretend" to understand the business end of music, but I don't think they need to fill the arena to make a profit. At this point the arena takes on the risk, from what I understand and the performer will come out fine.

In case you want to hear more of her speaking, this one is also good:

This one includes her discussion about "meat eaters":

It's definitely an interesting match up!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And a friend told me a new Pretenders album is out next month, four days before the first show. I think CH released a book last year. Topping up the retirement fund!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pretenders-alone/

I wonder who initiated the tour partnership.

Thanks for sharing the interview, about to watch it as I've always found CH likeable. I saw a CBS Sunday morning profile (a year + ago) that was interesting, but I'll admit I don't know anything about her bandmates (will read up).
Old 09-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Thank you so much for posting that. I've always liked the Pretenders and Chrissie's approach to life and music, but have never listened to an interview of this length with her. It's pretty interesting how much of an antithesis she is to Stevie and Fleetwood Mac. Here she talks about her disdain of material culture/focus on success, bands who become so successful they ride in separate limos to different hotels, how solo acts suck, her dislike of bands that don't keep creating, overly polished music like Fleetwood Mac, her dislike of arena tours, etc. All of it seems squarely aimed at the likes of Stevie and Fleetwood Mac . It really begs the question as to how Chrissie got roped into an arena tour with Stevie.
and Chrissie managed to fit in kids and a relationship and not lose her career where Stevie always says you can't do both. Clearly you can. And so many women since have managed it-- look at Adele for a really recent one. Or Beyonce. Faith Hill. Madonna for pete's sake. Very very different chicks indeed.

Funny Chrissie says in that first interview she likes playing clubs/theaters and never wanted to play bigger places and still doesn't. oh well.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 09-07-2016 at 10:41 PM..
Old 09-08-2016, 12:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

And just last week, after I finally got a pre-amp for my turntable -- I was listening to The Pretenders Extended Play album... And then put on my BellaDonna album.... Then the Pretenders album with "Bad Boys Get Spanked".... A premonition? And I can see why these two women of rock survivors would fit a co-billing....
And fyi- hearing the crackles of the old lp's --- it just brought me back!

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 09-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking about oil and water...this concert billing should be very interesting..
Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 AM
Ledgie

Heart New Tour

Honestly, this shows the charisma of our Fleetwood Mac member Stevie Nicks. Chrissie wasn't a huge fan , but she respects the band and is going on tour with Stevie. Although I wish Stevie would do one last FM album , I have to respect her choice in doing her own tour. If I get to hear Wildheart, and older songs I'm happy! She's 68, paid her dues, the band made her who she is ,but good lord let's not forgot what she sacrificed for it! I love hearing that she wants to sing her forgotten songs from past albums! Switch it up! I'm planning on seeing her in Toronto, and if i she's happy I will be too
Old 09-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heres some videos of the Pretenders .I always enjoyed their music.

1980's rock.Great music era .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-26-2016, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a review of the Pretenders in London]

The Independent 10/25/2016 Vishal Rana

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7378966.html

What a great venue, I have to do an arena tour with Stevie Nicks, but I’d much rather do this.” These were the words uttered by Chrissie Hynde as The Pretenders brought their melodic rock sound to Omeara London, a new venue in London Bridge reminiscent of the old dive bars in north London.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

There are many people who really adore Chrissie. She's okay but doesn't do that much for me. I think she may be a bit overrated.

Now and then she will make some kind of statement that is wack. Not surprised she landed in trouble with this matter last year.

http://jezebel.com/chrissie-hynde-on...t-b-1727559486

She's had a checkered romantic history with rock n roll dudes. Something in common with Stevie.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
and Chrissie managed to fit in kids and a relationship and not lose her career where Stevie always says you can't do both. Clearly you can. And so many women since have managed it-- look at Adele for a really recent one. Or Beyonce. Faith Hill. Madonna for pete's sake. Very very different chicks indeed.
Yep. These ladies seem really organized in their lives though, who do manage to balance the music career with motherhood. As for Madonna - it hasn't been all smooth sailing for her kids. Her son Rocco practically fled from her in the middle of the last tour, because he said he just wanted a more normal life with his Dad in England. Always difficult when the parents are in different continents. I hope they can end up working things out.

I'd point out, Fleetwood Mac has always seemed like more than a band and being a member has probably been more demanding to them than being in group usually would be.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
There are many people who really adore Chrissie. She's okay but doesn't do that much for me. I think she may be a bit overrated.

Now and then she will make some kind of statement that is wack. Not surprised she landed in trouble with this matter last year.

http://jezebel.com/chrissie-hynde-on...t-b-1727559486

She's had a checkered romantic history with rock n roll dudes. Something in common with Stevie.
I think the opposite is true. Whenever I read "ladies who rock" articles and on TV Chrissie is rarely mentioned. She can certainly hold her own. She's a great writer and musician. Doesn't everyone say something that is "wack" every now and then. Stevie has for sure. Her statement was sad to say the least but she was basically saying that if you hang out with dangerous people anything can happen. She was raped by members of a motorcycle gang, well documented in her book. Some victims blame themselves unfortunately.

Last edited by ahafan02; 10-27-2016 at 07:58 AM..