User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
According to Ken Caillat, ALL of the vocals for the "live" CD/DVD were re-recorded in the studio, as well as many instrumental overdubs. So, in essence, "The Dance" is really only a live experience in a visual sense. Most of what you hear is a "studio affectation".
Thanks, I never knew this, although other bands have been known to do the same thing on live albums.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
According to Ken Caillat, ALL of the vocals for the "live" CD/DVD were re-recorded in the studio, as well as many instrumental overdubs. So, in essence, "The Dance" is really only a live experience in a visual sense. Most of what you hear is a "studio affectation".
There. You said it. According to Ken Caillat. Who has no producerscredits on the Dance. He wasn't there but he states something as if he was. He wasn't involved and he still hates that. As much as I admire his work for FM, he is sour and bitter towards Lindsey and his productionchoices after their fruitful cooperations. Of course there were overdubs or partially rerecordings. But you are deaf if you think everything was redone in the studio.

Last edited by shackin'up; 10-15-2016 at 06:06 PM..
Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post

It can be a tough thing to explain but I'll give it a go. What happens is they take the song and put a limiter on it... a limiter removes large peaks in the track. Google the term "wav form" and you'll be able to see what I'm talking about from a visual perspective... natural "hills" and "valleys" in the song. Anyway, hit on the snare drum from Mick can cause these peaks, or maybe a crash on a cymbal. When these peaks are removed, the overall volume of the rest of the song can then increase. But what happens is you lose some of the natural dynamics that previously existed. Sure, quieter parts become loud, and more pronounced (Hey, I heard a guitar lick I've never heard before!), but the parts that were always easy to hear also have now been turned up to 11. (Nigel Tufnel reference there) The subtleties of the album are often lost. Back in my audio engineering days this would've lent to what's called listener fatigue... like being at a concert... your hearing becomes diminished over time from the wall of loudness. (Did that make any sense at all?) haha

Compression
Old 10-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Compression
Exactly. But very well described compression.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Compression
haha yes. Well, more precisely I would call it limiting. There are differences I think.