The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2003, 05:38 PM

Red face Holy moly

Just been to amazon and to my absolute astonishment, Peter Green has over 50 albums (all different) including a Xmas album

I think I want them all (even though im not really a fan of his music, its completion for a collection)

WHOAH
Old 01-15-2003, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't be fooled, there's another "Peter Green" (an American guy...NOT "our" Peter Green at ALL!).

Just off the top of my head, here is "our" Peter Green's albums:

Peter Solo:
End Of The Game
In The Skies
Little Dreamer
Whatcha Gonna Do
White Sky
Kolors

Splinter Group:
Peter Green Splinter Group
Robert Johnson Songbook
Soho Session (aka "Live At Ronnie Scott's")
Destiny Road
Hot Foot Powder
Time Traders
Blues Don't Change (only available from the Splinter Group website)
Me & The Devil Blues (repackage of RJ Songbook & Hotfoot Powder together)

And compilations mostly rehash after rehash of his late '70s/early '80s material
Blues For Dhyana
Green & Guitar: Best Of Peter Green 1977-1983
Blue Guitar
Clown
Two Greens and a Blues
Alone With The Blues
A Portrait Of Peter Green
The Peter Green Collection

Last edited by chiliD; 01-15-2003 at 05:49 PM..
Old 01-15-2003, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Don't be fooled, there's another "Peter Green" (kind of a new age keyboardist...NOT "our" Peter Green at ALL!).
LOL, I was almost gung ho to go and purchase them all *phew* Thanx for the heads up

Though alot of them do seem like 'our' peter green, with splinter group in tow

There were about 7 or 8 Splinter group albums alone
Old 01-16-2003, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Yeah...

That Christmas one is DEFINITELY the Yank so don't get that one.

ChiliD's got 'em all listed well there though like Chili says, most of the comps are redundant if you get the regular albums but you WILL need the ones called "Blue guitar" & "Legend" as they have some tracks unavailable elsewhere on them.

The "2 Greens make a blues" deal is a repackage (with bonus tracks) of an album PG played on by a band called The Enemy Within (obviously to play up the fact that PG played on it to get sales since they must not have been able to think of another way of promoting it on it's own merits. ).

You should also consider getting the V/A comp CD called "Twang! A tribute to Hank Marvin & The Shadows" as Greeny does a great job with "Midnight" (unavailable elsewhere) and the V/A "Knights of the blues table" (which has a different version of "Travelling riverside blues" to other PGSG versions and you can't get this one elsewhere either). Also, there is the 2002 V/A CD "From Clarksdale to heaven: Remembering John Lee Hooker" where the PGSG do "Crawlin' king snake" (not available elsewhere).

Oh, and you may want to think about tracking down the Japanese imports for the first PGSG album and the one called "Destiny road" as they contain tracks not on the other versions of these releases (but do avoid the Japan copies of "Hotfoot powder". You will see ads claiming it has "extra/bonus tracks", which it does, but the "bonus" tracks are taken from the "Soho sessions" live CD which you would need to get for completeness anyways so the "regular" HP will do you nicely).

While you're at it, you may as well pre order the new PGSG album due for release on 24 Feb (in the UK) called "Reaching the cold 100". That same day (in the UK) the V/A tribute to George Harrison will be released called "Songs from the material world" on which PG will apparently be doing a song so you might want to consider that as a pre order possibility as well.

Not sure how far you want to go with this but you may want to try and track down the 2 vinyl Reprise singles from 1972 "Heavy heart" b/w "No way out" & "Beasts of burden" b/w "Uganda woman" billed as being by PG and PG & Nigel Watson (respectively) but before I go in to anymore tangents about other items (as it is, I still have to find an original of the PG/NW one myself)...

Who knows, maybe you will be "a fan of his music" after hearing this stuff of Pete's?!

Hopefully these notes will make it easier for you to get things as complete as possible on that side of your Mac collection though anyways.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 01-17-2003 at 10:30 AM..
Old 01-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

John,

I'm aware of the 45 B-side version of "Apostle" making it's only CD appearance on "Blue Guitar"; but, I'm not aware of what track(s) are unique to "Legend"??

From the "are you sure?" file: "Crawling King Snake" is available (unless this is a different version) on the PGSG's "Blues Don't Change" CD.

Supposedly, Peter is involved in the Harrison tribute album, too; any word on what song(s) he's on?

Just have to say: The PGSG's remake of "Uganda Woman" on "Time Traders" is magnificent...in the same way their remake of "Tribal Dance" was on "Destiny Road".
Old 01-16-2003, 10:19 AM

Im gonna bookmark this page for eternity due to its usefullness!!

Thanx guys, you two really know your stuff :-D

Though LOL if PG did do a xmas album
Old 01-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile ChiliD

(shot down) Ya got me! You're right though, I must've overlooked that, "Crawling king snake" IS the same version on both BDC & "From Clarksdale to heaven remembering John Lee Hooker" so never mind about the Hooker tribute, it's redundant (for PG stuff anyways). Thanks for that slap around though, I needed that (you know me, I'm Mr. "Keep it weeded down" Minimalist).

Now, yeah "Blue guitar" has the B side "Apostle" as well as the song called "Whatcha gonna do?" (don't understand why this one wasn't on the album of the same name but it isn't (at least not the copy I have)) & "Woman don't" (the B side to the "Walkin' the road" single).

So I guess I shouldn't say those and the "Legend" stuff (more of which in a minute...) is/are "unique to these releases" but it's the "easiest" place to go in order to tidy things up as of this date that I know of in regards to the odds and ends anyways. As for that stuff on "Legend", I don't have these tracks on other PG CD's and I therefore need to take out the "Legend" CD to play these songs:

TOUCH MY SPIRIT
SIX STRING GUITAR
YOU WON'T SEE ME ANYMORE
LONG WAY FROM HOME
RUBBING MY EYES
CORNER OF MY MIND
CARRY MY LOVE
BANDIT (different (& better IMHO) version to the "Kolors" one)

I think I did hear somewhere that some of these were outtakes circa "White sky" album time period but I'm not sure if that's true or not. As I say, I have seen SOME of these on other redundant PG comps but this is the one that has all 8 tracks (though there may be other comps out there that have all 8 of these that has a different cover/title slapped on it but anyways at least I know of the existance of this one so if iamstevienicks (or anyone else interested) comes across the "Legend" CD comp in their travels, I'd recommend it.

Yeah the PGSG "Tribal dance" & "Uganda woman" remakes are really growing on me (I've got the PG/NW 1972 UW on a CD-R but still seeking an original though I know, I'm dreamin'...) making it tough to decide which version(s) I prefer but hey, I won't complain, I'd rather have that to decide upon rather than be stuck with a dud version and an easy choice.

Oh and geez, no I haven't heard anything further on the Harrison tribute either, I sure am gonna be interested to see which GH tune he does though whenever it is that we do find out.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 01-16-2003 at 03:55 PM..