User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Thumbs up Why

This song is so special it deserves its own thread. The beginning guitar is so solemn it fits the song perfectly. Its like someone being lonely picking up the guitar and playing. Then the keyboards start. The song is about a hurt sole and trying to go on. Its positive telling yourself the hurt you feel will melt away over time....the next day.
The way the music answers back to itself like an echo is so good. Its vintage 70's when keyboards could sound like strings and an orchestra.
In the end the chorus breaks you down. Its a total change from the first 2 verses which express optimism. The chorus is almost like alar ego coming out and you breaking down. Why don't you love me? Why don't you just be strong? The song takes a slightly different feel from the optimism of the first 2 verses.
I think its one of the Mac's best tunes ever. The music alone with the guitar and amazing drums are so freaking good. It fits the mood of the song perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJF-x9XJio
Old 04-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agreed, on all points. Such a classic song, my all-time favorite from Christine. I really hope it ends up on the BuckVie Tour setlist.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song! Definitely one of my favorites by Christine. It's such a lush sounding song too, very mellow.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

very moving and a personal fave for over 40 years
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why has always been one of my favorite tracks by Christine. I also really like the live version from the 1975 tour with Buckingham/Nicks adding their vocals to the end of the song.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why is a gentle epic of a song. On some days I cant stand the protracted opening to the song, on other days I feel its essential in building the anticipation. I love the 1975/76 versions of this song... but they aren't a patch on the original album version. I hope its played on the Buckingham McVie tour- I suspect its long consigned to history though.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 AM

I love this song so much. I love the Bob Welch era of it live. I am not crazy about the B/N version. Like Everywhere (the dance) I sometimes don't like their clumsy ahhhhhh, ahhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh.

Where Welch/McVie had this natural blend on this track.

It's a beautiful piece.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It truly is one of their best songs ever. I wish the band felt about it the way that many of us do.

I'd give anything if they'd break it out for the Buck/Vie tour, but it won't happen.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember on the old FMLegacy board, when we did a poll of all FM songs, Why ended up rated as #1 among all of them.

I think Thoughts on a Grey Day came in last.

Michele
Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a very good song on paper (I have the sheet music) but the arrangement gives it that added umph. Love the production on this one. Weston's skills are very noticeable, not only in the slide intro but in the middle solo and the extended outro.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Why" is one of the greatest Fleetwood Mac songs ever recorded. It's unfortunate that it hasn't made it into a live set list in 40 years. It's one of the Top 10 FM songs. Let's bring "Why" back for the 2018 Tour!!! I think it would sound GREAT with the backup singers.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Why" is one of the greatest Fleetwood Mac songs ever recorded. It's unfortunate that it hasn't made it into a live set list in 40 years. It's one of the Top 10 FM songs. Let's bring "Why" back for the 2018 Tour!!! I think it would sound GREAT with the backup singers.
Unfortunately that will NEVER happen. These big tours are about the hits. Most of the audience cant even handle a deep cut and storm out for beer and nachos.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I remember on the old FMLegacy board, when we did a poll of all FM songs, Why ended up rated as #1 among all of them.

I think Thoughts on a Grey Day came in last.

Michele
Awww, I love Thoughts On A Grey Day...

I remember Chili hated it.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

We need to know more about Mrs. Scarrot's life. Michele
Old 07-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Unfortunately that will NEVER happen. These big tours are about the hits. Most of the audience cant even handle a deep cut and storm out for beer and nachos.
I couldn't agree more! Of the 17,000 people that fill these arenas for a greatest hits tour, I estimate that less than 1/2 these attendees have even heard a Fleetwood Mac deep cut (that's being liberal).

When "Storms", "Why", or "That's Enough For Me" are played in an arena filled with these morons, it's as if the air is being let out of a balloon. Yes, it's flat beer and stale nacho/imitation cheese time, kids! Oh, the irony!!

"Got my pretzel dog---back to my seat just in time to yell "Landslide!!!!" for the 10th time in 45 minutes".

Girl, may I be excused? I'm going home to pop a Xanax, pour a glass of wine, and watch "The Dance" DVD. It would be the same experience for a lot less money!