Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Down On Rodeo - at last in all it's glory! Like JS said about SGCYM, this version of DOR has been scrubbed up and the percussion in particular is quite enhanced.. a bit more reverb on the snare or something, plus the hihats in the chorus are more audible. And of course the vocals shine through so much more clearly. After all these years of the GOS track it's great to finally get such a fine quality mix. No doubt the CD itself will be even nicer.

I listened to Show You How and really liked it. At last new songs! Yet I can't stop listening to Down On Rodeo! I look forward to giving the others a listen.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Down On Rodeo - at last in all it's glory! Like JS said about SGCYM, this version of DOR has been scrubbed up and the percussion in particular is quite enhanced.. a bit more reverb on the snare or something, plus the hihats in the chorus are more audible.
I dunno, I've got a GOS lossless version of DOR and it sounds exactly the same to my ears?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichora View Post
I dunno, I've got a GOS lossless version of DOR and it sounds exactly the same to my ears?
Ah I suppose it must. I don't have any of the 'lossless' things.

Also I've had a chance to listen to the SGCYM. Again I was hearing new nuances in the vocals that I hadn't been able to hear all this time. I guess I should have got on the lossless boat. Oh well, my loss (more or less)!

These new songs remind me of the sound of the songs from the ''Lost in Translation' soundtrack. The sort of sparse instrumentation and singing style/effects. Very 'relaxy' and 'spacey' for lack of better words.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 09-07-2006 at 02:53 AM..
Old 09-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Ledgie

GOS Lossless is on www.throwndown.net.

I've been putting up with the mp3's for a few years, and since recently getting the lossless versions I've been blown away!

Any probs getting it, I could have a go at emailing you upped versions to 192kbits?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
The three 'new' songs sound solid, currently I'm loving "Show You How" and the helium Beach Boys on "It Was You". They're all bound to be growers anyway.

Maybe there is a bit of a new voice here too, as Christy said. More mature, perhaps. Of course he's still covering the increasing weaknesses in his voice with gadgetry but that's what I expected.

Not sure if Gerald will like the OOTC-like electronic percussion on both "SYH" and "IWY" though.
SYH is weird and totally fantastic. Well basicly I'm so relieved that it is all pretty yet out of this world sonicly. I love the SPACE in these tracks. That is going to be a 3-dimensional listening experience for sure in the uncompressed formats. I don't have a problem with electronic rythm. I have a problem with electronic percussion in rocksongs. They pull away the rawness. Until now I am touched by what I hear. Oh And I like his voice VERY much. I wonder how it will keep up in the rockin'songs he promised on the next one.

I just can't believe I'm hearing this.
I'll post more of my perception when I have more time.....

PS: the percussion on SYH does not sound OOTC-like. It sounds like the opening of the Ledge. Did he rediscover one of his 25 bathrooms?

Last edited by shackin'up; 09-07-2006 at 04:47 AM..
Old 09-07-2006, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post here and say that it's possible to get these tracks as mp3's. Here are the links:
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very cool!!

When I first started playing SYH played it from the link Mr. Wonderful posted, and I also had Lindsey website open at the same time and it started playing on that automatically. I didn't realise and I got this weird mix of the same song being played twice! I didn't like it, but I didn't realise what was going on. Then when DOR started playing on his site I realised what was going on and I was mighty relieved. Only listened to SYH once (well once properly!) and I like it alot.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On first listen all the tracks sound great. Too early to pick a favourite.
Good for him that he's finally 'home.'
Old 09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like 'em! Welcome back Lindsey!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
SYH is weird and totally fantastic. Well basicly I'm so relieved that it is all pretty yet out of this world sonicly.
One of the coolest things about "Show You How" and "It Was You" is that they both have very little guitar, or little traditional guitar on them (because we all know he can make guitars sound like anything anyway). Guitars don't take the center of the attention on either one, they're both just a combination of thumping percussion and all those varispeed vocals. On "IWY" there's just this rhythm electric guitar distant in the right speaker, seems to be the only guitar in the song really.

So that's the only "new" direction that was left for him - take out the guitars!

Quote:
PS: the percussion on SYH does not sound OOTC-like. It sounds like the opening of the Ledge. Did he rediscover one of his 25 bathrooms?
It does sound OOTC-like on "IWY" though, which is probably why I like it the most of the three. Oh, and also because it doesn't have that new agey panpipe-synth outro that "SYH" has.

"CAD" is my least fave right now. Starts out great with the "I'll-make-this-guitar-sound-like-a-different-string-instrument" intro and then turns into an ordinary sing'n'strum piece. But it's still good.

Together with this recently-surfaced "GYOW" from 1975 where Lindsey tries a ridiculous falsetto all these new tracks have pretty much made my week! Last week was perfect because of another fan high. One's gotta come down soon though.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 09-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Haven't listened to the songs, but, my hell, can that site be any more difficult to get around? I'm clicking here and there and finding nothing that I'm looking for. How frustrating. Can someone please post a link to the songs? I can't find anything in that mess.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB

Last edited by AliP; 09-07-2006 at 11:55 AM..
Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Ali...

The music starts in automatically when you open lb.com. It's at the very top of the page. Took me a minute to figure out where it was at first. LOL
Old 09-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
It does sound OOTC-like on "IWY" though, which is probably why I like it the most of the three. Oh, and also because it doesn't have that new agey panpipe-synth outro that "SYH" has.

Yeah that's why SYH is my fave till now. But I must say, the directness of SUD, and the fact that it is less "constructed" appeals to me the most. I really hope that that attitude is there on some of the other three tracks.
Together with this recently-surfaced "GYOW" from 1975 where Lindsey tries a ridiculous falsetto all these new tracks have pretty much made my week! Last week was perfect because of another fan high. One's gotta come down soon though.

Fill me in dude, where's that 75 GYOW? Could you make a yousendit
?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The lyrics to Cast Away Dreams make me want to burst into tears. This song is so, so sad.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Fill me in dude, where's that 75 GYOW?
Just for you Gerald, but don't ask any more from that show; otherwise some hardcore lossless traders might want to hang me.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...A674424C41DA95

The rest of the show you can get here if you still remember how to use bit torrent. Lindsey plays a bit of the early NGBA/Brushes/Whatever instrumental between ISA and GYOW too:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=26005

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
The lyrics to Cast Away Dreams make me want to burst into tears. This song is so, so sad.
Yeah, although the bit about his "visionary eyes" is still pompous. And of course I initially heard the "farewell to the wishes that die" line in the same way I used to with the lyric to Gypsy: "witch" instead of "wish".

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up