Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question August 27th BBC Radio session

Question: does anyone have “Shake Your Moneymaker” from the August 27th BBC Radio session – done for Top Gear?
Each “official” listing of the tracks from this session, Peter Lewry’s “Fleetwood Mac: The Complete Recording Sessions 1967 – 1992” , the discography included in Martin Celmins’ “Peter Green – The Biography”, “In Session Tonight – The Complete Radio 1 Recordings” by Ken Garner, and Christopher Hjort’s “Strange Brew: The British Blues Boom 1965-1970” varies slightly, with titles added and subtracted –
Celmins, Hjort and Lewry list the title, but neither of the last two shows a broadcast date – my feeling is that the recording is actually what has been listed on some bootlegs as Elmore James’ “Hawaiian Boogie” – in actuality, Spencer’s “Evenin’ Boogie”, which is a minor variation on “Hawaiian Boogie”.
I am also curious if anyone has, or has heard, Spencer doing “Crutch and Cane” from this session – this is sometimes listed as “Look On Yonder’s Wall”.

Thanks in advance

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Question: does anyone have “Shake Your Moneymaker” from the August 27th BBC Radio session – done for Top Gear?
Each “official” listing of the tracks from this session, Peter Lewry’s “Fleetwood Mac: The Complete Recording Sessions 1967 – 1992” , the discography included in Martin Celmins’ “Peter Green – The Biography”, “In Session Tonight – The Complete Radio 1 Recordings” by Ken Garner, and Christopher Hjort’s “Strange Brew: The British Blues Boom 1965-1970” varies slightly, with titles added and subtracted –
Celmins, Hjort and Lewry list the title, but neither of the last two shows a broadcast date – my feeling is that the recording is actually what has been listed on some bootlegs as Elmore James’ “Hawaiian Boogie” – in actuality, Spencer’s “Evenin’ Boogie”, which is a minor variation on “Hawaiian Boogie”.
I am also curious if anyone has, or has heard, Spencer doing “Crutch and Cane” from this session – this is sometimes listed as “Look On Yonder’s Wall”.

Thanks in advance
I think this will help you out.....
Also I'm pretty sure I do have a bootleg tape featuring "Crutch And Cane"
Mario.
FLEETWOOD MAC RADIO 1 SESSION – 27 AUGUST 1968 – 201 Piccadilly Studio 1
(Broadcast for “Top Gear” 1 September ,13 October and 24 November)

NEED YOUR LOVE SO BAD (Early Years CD-3316)
SHAKE YOUR MONEYMAKER (Early Years CD-3316)
STOP MESSIN’ ROUND* (Early Years CD-3316 – Castle EDF CD 297)
A MIND OF MY OWN (Koine K890104 – Receiver RDPCD 15Z)
I HAVE TO LAUGH (Receiver RDPCD 15Z)
YOU ARE THE ONE (Receiver RDPCD15Z)
BO DIDDLEY (Koine K890104)
PREACHIN’ BLUES (Moby Dick MDCD 004 – Castle EDF CD 297)
YOU NEED LOVE (Moby Dick MDCD 004)
A TALK WITH YOU (Mody Dick MDCD 004)

WINE,WISKEY.WOMEN (inissued)
CRUTCH AND CANE (inissued)
IF YOU BE MY BABY* (inissued)
CRAZY FOR MY BABY (inissued)
HAWAIIAN BOOGIE (inissued)
(add Danny Kirwan gtr and Christine Perfect v/keys)
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mario,
Thanks for your reply – I appreciate your providing the list – as I mentioned, no two lists are the same for that particular session and these are the published sources! I have yet to find anyone who claims to have a copy of “Shake Your Moneymaker” and I really believe that it was simply mis-titled when first boot-legged.
More interesting and even more frustrating as it can not be proved or disproven without our being able to hear all of the tracks listed, is the claim that Christine Perfect played and sang! on the session. Note that Christopher Hjort’s book is the only one that does not list her as being on the session.
There is no piano to be heard on any of the tracks currently in circulation save for a brief bit on “Hawaiian Boogie / “Evenin’ Boogie” and that was most likely Spencer.
That makes the most likely contender “Crazy for My Baby” – and again, without being able to hear the song we can not know if this was in fact Kirwan’s take on the Little Walter tune (“I Can’t Hold Out Much Longer”) that Perfect would take lead vocals on during the “Kiln House” tour. Did Kirwan take the lead on it here? Or was he already collaborating with her during his first weeks with the band?
It is also a shame that we can not know, which songs, if any, that he played with Fleetwood Mac he had been playing with Boilerhouse....

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
... That makes the most likely contender “Crazy for My Baby” – and again, without being able to hear the song we can not know if this was in fact Kirwan’s take on the Little Walter tune (“I Can’t Hold Out Much Longer”) that Perfect would take lead vocals on during the “Kiln House” tour. Did Kirwan take the lead on it here? Or was he already collaborating with her during his first weeks with the band?
We now know that 'Crazy for my baby' is an early take of Danny's 'Without you'.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We now know much more about the session(s) over all. Starting with the fact that the tracks listed are from two sessions, not one (R.J. Greaves’ sessionography in Celmins’ Green biography shows two dates, but does not separate the titles)

‘Need Your Love So Bad’, ‘Stop Messin’ Round’ and ‘Evenin’ Boogie’ were broadcast live on August 26th on Radio One O’Clock and the other tracks were recorded on the 27th.
In the eight years since the original inquiry went out, all of the recordings from the two shows have gone into circulation among collectors, thankfully removing the need to speculate as to what any given title may be and providing conclusive proof that Christine Perfect does not play on any of the tracks.

The only two songs that I have been unable to find any information on (in more than ten years active research), are ‘Roll Along Blues’ from a Radio One session done on March 17th 1969 and ‘Just Want to Tell You’ from May 14th 1969.

The latter certainly sounds like the title of a Kirwan composition (but saying that does not prove anything)
I have never come across the phrase in any lyrics, let alone the title for the first.
Could it have been logged incorrectly? Certainly. But again, we do not have enough (any, actually) other information that could help us out here.

If anyone does know anything about these titles, please share.

E. Vedder
Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
We now know much more about the session(s) over all. Starting with the fact that the tracks listed are from two sessions, not one (R.J. Greaves’ sessionography in Celmins’ Green biography shows two dates, but does not separate the titles)

‘Need Your Love So Bad’, ‘Stop Messin’ Round’ and ‘Evenin’ Boogie’ were broadcast live on August 26th on Radio One O’Clock and the other tracks were recorded on the 27th.
In the eight years since the original inquiry went out, all of the recordings from the two shows have gone into circulation among collectors, thankfully removing the need to speculate as to what any given title may be and providing conclusive proof that Christine Perfect does not play on any of the tracks.

The only two songs that I have been unable to find any information on (in more than ten years active research), are ‘Roll Along Blues’ from a Radio One session done on March 17th 1969 and ‘Just Want to Tell You’ from May 14th 1969.

The latter certainly sounds like the title of a Kirwan composition (but saying that does not prove anything)
I have never come across the phrase in any lyrics, let alone the title for the first.
Could it have been logged incorrectly? Certainly. But again, we do not have enough (any, actually) other information that could help us out here.

If anyone does know anything about these titles, please share.
Just want to tell you....er.... what I know (Rich/BB knows this) about the state of play regarding these tracks.
Just Want To Tell You is listed in BBC documentation and the composer is listed as Not Known. Yes it sounds like it could be a Kirwan-type song-title but then I'd be surprised if the band hadn't informed the BBC of that. Again, as BklynBlue says, further info appreciated. As Peter and Danny already had a song each on this session it could have been a number by Jeremy but that's speculation on my part.

As for Roll Along Blues. Rich and I chewed this over for years and have had to agree to not be 100% sure as to our conclusions !
This is what we know - Roll Along Blues is listed in BBC documentation with a composer credit of Slim Harpo (may have been just Harpo, I forget). We checked everywhere for this title including ASCAP/BMI, US copyright catalogues,internet song searches and of course Harpo's catalogue. Nothing.
However, my tape of this session had King Bee which is a Harpo composition and the time listed on BBC docs matches give or take a second or two. But....both Rich and I agree that it doesn't sound much like the Mac in some respects though that could be Peter on harmony vocal ??
I have seen at least one other source credit their (different) off air of this song (King Bee) to Fleetwood Mac.
Now the grouping of this song (King Bee) with the rest of this session on my tape could be seen as reasonable confirmation of the theory that the BBC (not for the first time) logged the title incorrectly or were misinformed as to what the band were going to play. Coming Your Way from a later (June?) 1969 session turned out to be a different version of Early Morning Come. However my off air tape also included Mean Old World with these songs which we now know stems from 1968 (the mysterious Blues In Britain/Blues Roll On Feb 68 recording).
I am inclined to believe Roll Along Blues is in fact an error and the correct entry should be King Bee but I believe Rich is not entirely happy about this.
I hope this makes sense.
I welcome any input on this issue as well. What does everyone here think of King Bee - is it the Mac ?
and if you haven't bought Rich's book, what are you waiting for. It's the best Peter Green book out there - it's about the music, not Munich or the ancient art of grave-digging or fingernail growing. You'll learn a ton of stuff about Peter's work and influences and maybe find out about a bunch of recordings you never knew existed. Essential reading for fans.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting all this detailed info, BklynBlue and ash1! I tended to think that "King Bee" was not Fleetwood Mac but the info in ash1's post is making me re-think that. I'll have to have another listen soon for sure.

Ash1 is spot-on in his recommendation for Rich's book on Peter Green. It's a perfect companion to the music itself.

One more recommendation for Peter Green and early Mac fans that I've mentioned before. If you're on Facebook, check out some of the Green-, Kirwan-, and Mac-related Facebook groups. Some are "closed" groups where you may need to request being added to the group in order to participate - generally just a formality - but well worth it. The "Then Play On ... Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" group in particular has some very knowledgeable folks who participate regularly and other members who check in on occasion (including Mike Vernon). A number of them are UK fans who followed the band from the beginning, and some followed Green since his Bluesbreakers days. Even Madge of "Then Play On" fame participates there, as well as several other people who have known, and played with, Peter Green over the years.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
One more recommendation for Peter Green and early Mac fans that I've mentioned before. If you're on Facebook, check out some of the Green-, Kirwan-, and Mac-related Facebook groups. Some are "closed" groups where you may need to request being added to the group in order to participate - generally just a formality - but well worth it. The "Then Play On ... Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" group in particular has some very knowledgeable folks who participate regularly and other members who check in on occasion (including Mike Vernon). A number of them are UK fans who followed the band from the beginning, and some followed Green since his Bluesbreakers days.
The FB group is called 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On'.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
The FB group is called 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On'.
That's actually a different FB page, GJK (and that one is a page, not a group - there is a difference). The one I was referring to is a FB group called "Then Play On ... Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac", as noted in my post. There are similar groups that are good, such as "All Things Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac .." and groups specifically on Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, etc. Fairly easy to search Facebook for similar pages and groups there, and a Google search will bring them up as well.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
That's actually a different FB page, GJK (and that one is a page, not a group - there is a difference). The one I was referring to is a FB group called "Then Play On ... Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac", as noted in my post. There are similar groups that are good, such as "All Things Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac .." and groups specifically on Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, etc. Fairly easy to search Facebook for similar pages and groups there, and a Google search will bring them up as well.
Thanks and sorry; I just noticed.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this to finally put the record straight: actually there are two different sessions....

FLEETWOOD MAC RADIO LIVE SESSION – 26 AUGUST 1968 – Playhouse Theatre, London (Broacast Radio One O’ Clock)
NEED YOUR LOVE SO BAD ( Early Years CD 3316 - Castle EDF CD297)
EVENING BOOGIE (Early Years CD 3316 – Albatross AR 001)
STOP MESSIN’ROUND (Early Years CD 3316 – Castle EDF CD 297)

and

FLEETWOOD MAC RADIO 1 SESSION – 27 AUGUST 1968 – 201 Piccadilly Studio 1
(Broadcast for “Top Gear” 1 September, 13 October and 24 November)
A MIND OF MY OWN (Koinč K890104 – Receiver RDPCD 15Z)
I HAVE TO LAUGH (Receiver RDPCD 15Z)
YOU ARE THE ONE (Receiver RDPCD 15Z)
BO DIDDLEY (Koinč K890104 – Albatross AR 001)
PREACHIN’ BLUES (Moby Dick MDCD 004 – Castle EDF CD297)
YOU NEED LOVE (Moby Dick MDCD 004 – Koinč K890104 - Albatross AR 001)
A TALK WITH YOU (Moby Dick MDCD 004 – Koinč K890104 - Albatross AR 001)
WINE, WISKEY, WOMEN ( Koinč K890104 - Albatross AR 001)
CRUTCH AND CANE (Albatross AR 001)
IF YOU BE MY BABY* (Albatross AR 001)
CRAZY FOR MY BABY (Albatross AR 001)
(add Danny Kirwan gtr and Christine Perfect v/keys)

The Early Years cd listed "Shake Your Money Maker" but of course the track is an instrumental called Evening Boogie, or Hawaian Boogie.....

Mario.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:48 AM
Ledgie

Thanks for this info!