Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=SteveMacD;1225298
He’s a hell of a musician, and I’m absolutely blown away he’s in Fleetwood Mac. Like, he’s really the most compelling part of the band, IMO. Actually, I’d love to see a LMJCN version of the band, but that’s never going happen.[/QUOTE]

I don’t mean to beat a dead horse or be rude, but i never liked the Heartbreakers or Crowded House. They r not in the same league as FM, Roxy Music, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bruce, Neil Young, or even Cheap Trick or even When in Rome fercryingoutloud not to mention 1000 other 70s and 80s bands. I would have been intrigued by Chris Isaak whose albums are not necessarily my favs but which I do think are the most beautifully produced American albums.

But these two additions make me ill even beyond the betrayal of Lindsey.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I seem to be in the minority, at least compared with the most frequent posters in the rumours forum, but I'm quite excited about this new line-up. If there needed to be a change from the Rumours 5, then Mike and Neil are inspired choices for the type of audiences that FM will want to be reaching out to. I don't think I'll be going to any shows (I need my holidays more than I need FM shows right now) but I'll be interested to hear how the tour progresses.
Regardless of went on behind the scenes, my feeling is that the No1 priority for all remaining members is getting out on tour asap, whilst they are still are still healthy enough to do so.

There is a magic to the performances with the classic 5 line-up, but there might just be a different kind of magic with this new line-up. I appreciate Lindsey fans are angry, but I also appreciate why this change may have been necessary - I think the tensions within the band built to a point where it just became difficult to work together.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
In Stevie’s defense, it’s credited to Danny, Jeremy, and John, and Christine was clearly singing in the mix. Also, Jeremy Spencer said that it was actually Christine, not John, who had a hand in writing the song. (Remember, Christine was still Blue Horizon property, so there may have been legal reasons for it, and giving credit to John would have sent the royalty check to the right address, but who knows?)

Yes, Christine had a hand in writing Station Man, though I'm sure the bulk of the song was by Danny.
In the same way, Jewel Eyed Judy from the same album was written by Danny Kirwan, Jenny Fleetwood and Christine McVie but credited to Danny, Mick and John.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-28-2018, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
^^^But the interview... Christine can't even speak without Stevie rolling over her like a truck. I agree that Christine plays the innocence card, but the inner band hierarchy seems to allow for that, noone calls her out like "It was your decision, too". She is a bystander and everyone's okay with that.
One thing that strikes me in hearing this play out - there was a vote. And on something as major as this, a crazy thing must have happened. Apparently the entire communication structure (phones, internet, telegraph service, etc) must have been out of order in London. How is it that Christine was not included in a vote on this, yet she was included on the vote that put Lindsey and the whole package deal into place? Her vote was needed then, but not now? Seriously?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Omg more of these same old stories that she somehow tries to tie back to the question asked....

Lindsey probably didn't want to do the older blues stuff because he probably felt there were songs of their own they could dust off and try, that hadn't been done before!! But now she's ok with Station Man etc after HOW MANY comments about people coming for the hits...

Lindsey should seriously just keep quiet for the next 6 months and let them really embarrass themselves.

Critics will eat them alive if they do stop dragging, stand back, and don't dream it's over. This is Mick Fleetwoods All Star Band, not Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like it was a series of individual votes and Christine wasn't extended the courtesy. Mick and or Stevie made the decision, ran it by John and then delivered the news to Chris. They banked on the fact she wouldn't want to leave again, totally taking advantage of her and any insecurities about being new to the band again.

Regarding Stevie talking over Chris, she's just a rude out of control egomaniac. There's not a way to say it any nicer.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:01 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
the No1 priority for all remaining members is getting out on tour asap, whilst they are still are still healthy enough to do so.
Lindsey doesn't seem to be sensitive to this issue.

He doesn't seem willing to accept the fact the FM tour needs to be planned around Stevie's tour schedule.

This is probably this last FM tour that will include all four of the remaining members. I'm sure all four are quite anxious to have this tour begin as soon as possible. Every delay, increases the chances that someone's health will fail.

Lindsey is in good health. He can record solo albums and do solo tours for the next 20 years.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Sounds like it was a series of individual votes and Christine wasn't extended the courtesy. Mick and or Stevie made the decision, ran it by John and then delivered the news to Chris. They banked on the fact she wouldn't want to leave again, totally taking advantage of her and any insecurities about being new to the band again.

Regarding Stevie talking over Chris, she's just a rude out of control egomaniac. There's not a way to say it any nicer.
ITA!

I personally don't like anything that The Heartbreakers ever did, they are soooo boring to my ears. Crowded House, well, generic or something. I do believe that Lindseys enormous edgy energy was the difference between FM and any other Oldies band. And I can't see how the comparative sleepyheads can wake up the band or the audience like he did in a life concert.

And there is still the total lack of respect towards Lindsey and the fans who followed the Five Fireflies over the decades. I can't seem to get over that.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
One thing that strikes me in hearing this play out - there was a vote. And on something as major as this, a crazy thing must have happened. Apparently the entire communication structure (phones, internet, telegraph service, etc) must have been out of order in London. How is it that Christine was not included in a vote on this, yet she was included on the vote that put Lindsey and the whole package deal into place? Her vote was needed then, but not now? Seriously?
Yeah I think Chris is full of it and is trying to stay neutral....when she went back to London was it 1850 there? Give me a break...
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
There is a magic to the performances with the classic 5 line-up, but there might just be a different kind of magic with this new line-up. I appreciate Lindsey fans are angry, but I also appreciate why this change may have been necessary - I think the tensions within the band built to a point where it just became difficult to work together.
here's what's interesting: it's not Lindsey fans that are the most angry about all of this.

i run fb LB group, as some may know. the people who are the most disappointed and the loudest are people who used to be huge Stevie fans and are now seeing her as something they never thought she would become. and BN fans who loved the relationship story permeating so many of this era FM songs. or rumours-era FM fans (vast majority, if you do the math 1975 was a very long time ago, people born after rumours 5 became a band are now in their 40s) who love all 5 and their magic together.

Lindsey fans are on the fence. of course his fans acutely sense the betrayal that Lindsey must feel. the non-respect, unequal treatment and non-appreciation of him by the band - because it's money money money for Mick (like someone here said - when it was between money and Peter Green, he chose money). most of us are not nearly as disappointed in SN, because we never thought that much of her anyway. if we already had some ambivalence about Mick, that now turned into complete disdain. we are worried whether LB is now, when not having the mac machine behind him, vulnerable to little industry games by managers and label that was always a part of messing his output since the mid 90s, because it is obvious that while he may be musical genius he has no business sense whatsoever., and people who he hires to do that part for him seem to be all wrong.

but we are ecstatic that finally - finally! - he is not wasting the little time he has left (you know, 10+ years ) with the stuck in a rut band, trying to push the rock up the hill against the bitter ex who keeps putting weight on that rock, to show him who's the boss now.

he can create now as fast as he wants to, release new music, and bring back into spotlight and on the road his gems from the last 20+ years that had stayed in the shadows because of his relative anonymity. he doesn't have to waste years he doesn't have anymore on the road rehashing old hits just so Mick can fill his coffers, his output in this century has been incredible, and he's on the top of his game. so no, Lindsey fans are just worried that he'll not get his new music out there and will just sit on it like he did at the time of OOTC and GOS. we are worried that instead of getting out there, he'll sit back and wait till this blows over, and that he's probably willing, with the right amount of grovelling to go back to the band that has been the masterpiece of his life's work. i really hope he stays solo from now on (no joining ABBA please!) pushes out all his solo projects now as fasts as possible, and/or does some interesting collaborations with all the different artists who are salivating for the chance to collaborate with him (although he should seek out people, like Bowie always did, instead of sitting back and just saying yes when people to come to him!).

anyway, from this Lindsey fan......... because i saw several times being brought up that "lindsey fans are upset" so hope this helps you see the more rounded picture. of all the different groups of FM fans who are upset now, Lindsey fans are just a small fraction.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Someone called Christine a bystander. That sounds right. My assumption is that Mick and Stevie put the machinery in motion for firing Lindsey and by the time she was “consulted” she didn’t feel confident enough with her own band status to contradict them. She, like Mick and Stevie, isn’t averse to big tour money either. But most of all, she feels loyalty to Mick, who helped her overcome her isolation and fear and reintroduced her to the life she loved and missed. More than anyone in the band, she clings to him. Stevie treats her like an adorable pet she is glad to have back.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-28-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
yes. the vote seemed to have been Mick and Stevie talking John into it. 3 of them talking a lot, according to Mick. not even trying to consult Christine. until they had 3 votes and it was done. then they "explained" it to her and now she "fully understands". it seems John was not as quick to "understand," but they "worked" on him. at least he had a say.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
But most of all, she feels loyalty to Mick, who helped her overcome her isolation and fear and reintroduced her to the life she loved and missed. More than anyone in the band, she clings to him. Stevie treats her like an adorable pet she is glad to have back.
sounded more like who she is annoyed to have back in her way, and tries to just shut off.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

He doesn't seem willing to accept the fact the FM tour needs to be planned around Stevie's tour schedule.

And there it is. Because of course the world revolves around Stevie. There is no further proof of her outrageous sense of self-importance. Stevie > Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
we are worried that instead of getting out there, he'll sit back and wait till this blows over, and that he's probably willing, with the right amount of grovelling to go back to the band that has been the masterpiece of his life's work.
As much as I like the band (the five of them), I hope he NEVER goes back again. After this stunt and the crap way they are handling it, even if Mick were penniless living on the street with a reformed Rumors-era Mac as his only saving grace to earn some coin to live his last years with some dignity, that Lindsey would tell them all to GFY's. He'd have to require some sort of formal apology and it won't happen. Mick Jagger did this to Keith Richards before he agreed to do any more shows in 2012 and beyond for the Stones 50th. He forced Keith to apologize for saying Mick had a "tiny todger" in Keith's autobiography. I just can't see this happening and if nothing else, hopefully Kristen Buckingham would tell Lindsey "you don't need this, you don't need them, you certainly don't need her, nor the money....F them...let's just enjoy our life and do what we want to do!"

At this stage of the game, for them to do this is truly unimaginable. They rode this man's coattails for years and years. His solo work became band albums/tours. He provided energy and life to their live shows that the other two singers simply could never bring, especially in the "modern era" starting in 1997. Christine seemed bored to tears during The Dance tour and you could see she was done. Stevie's voice has continued to decline substantially since that time and her stage presence has become very dull, except of course for her ridiculous Gold Dust Woman dance or story time. Even old Mick has slowed down a lot...check out the tempo on Go Your Own Way from 1997-2004 and compare it to 2014-15. Lindsey, despite his increasingly declined vocal abilities, has been used over the last 20+ years to keep the band as an energetic force in concert and not just a bunch of old bumps on a log croaking out their greatest hits on the county fair or summer shed tour circuits.