User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
Sounds logical that she would deny or down-play her problems while pointing out other people's flaws/weaknesses. I read somewhere that Lindsey paid for her rehab and bought her a house and may or may not have paid her some palimony.

Does it mention who the ghost writer was? Sounds like they didn't do a very good job of fact checking as posters have reported glaring inaccuracies.

CarolC

She paints herself as a total saint and it is really nauseating. Her whole "Florence Nightengale, me and Lindsey against the big, bad Fleetwood mac" attitude was sooo over the top. People have spoken up about her relationship with LB, from Ken Callait to Lindsey himself. THEY claim she had a drug problem. Of course she is not going to make herself look coked up or like she cheated on LB.......she wants to come off as credible. The way the book was written was really hard to take in large doses...there was way too much dramatic phrasing and overly romanticized stories. Her claims to have always wanted to befriend Stevie sound pretty unbelievable to me. I have no problem with what she wrote about LB...we all know he is no saint, my problem is with how she paints herself and her relationship with LB. The whole thing was just a bizzare read. Plus, her photos really suck. For someone who supposedly spent a good seven years with Lindsey, how come she included no decent pictures? None are in color and all of them are blurry or from twenty miles away.

Overall, she obviously is trying to cash in an old relationship. Hopefully she won't sell more than a few hundred copies.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
. . . I have a problem with her motivation for essentially spreading thirty year old gossip about a band she was never a part of and a man she never married . . . .
You mean the same way LB and La Nicks still mostly fraudulently perpetuate that same exact story for monetary gain

They can put on that show that directly references the relationship that they mostly accurately say ended 30+ years ago and they can talk about the huge drug fueled party - but when someone who was there and on the inside comments on it for the same remuneration, that somehow is automatically bad? Sounds like a double standard to me, especially considering LB also made money off his relationship with this woman because he wrote a song (possibly songs) about her and discussed her in his BTM special - again mostly to perpetuate the LB/La Nicks saga. Why is it okay for him to violate this woman's trust in the same way people are asserting she is violating his trust by publishing this book? What makes it wrong when she does it other than she is seen by many as attacking the band and members with whom people here are obsessed in good and bad ways?

In the end, she was there and it is her story to tell - just like FM tells that same story.

Now - whether the stuff she says is true - who knows. But, I know this, if she had lied in any significant way, FM's people, esp. La Nicks' people, would crush her to death. Look at how La Nicks' herself openly said she
d "bury" Mick if he libeled her in his book.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
. . . Overall, she obviously is trying to cash in an old relationship . . .
Again, the same exact way La Nicks and LB do

Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
You mean the same way LB and La Nicks still mostly fraudulently perpetuate that same exact story for monetary gain

They can put on that show that directly references the relationship that they mostly accurately say ended 30+ years ago and they can talk about the huge drug fueled party - but when someone who was there and on the inside comments on it for the same remuneration, that somehow is automatically bad? Sounds like a double standard to me, especially considering LB also made money off his relationship with this woman because he wrote a song (possibly songs) about her and discussed her in his BTM special - again mostly to perpetuate the LB/La Nicks saga. Why is it okay for him to violate this woman's trust in the same way people are asserting she is violating his trust by publishing this book? What makes it wrong when she does it other than she is seen by many as attacking the band and members with whom people here are obsessed in good and bad ways?

In the end, she was there and it is her story to tell - just like FM tells that same story.

Now - whether the stuff she says is true - who knows. But, I know this, if she had lied in any significant way, FM's people, esp. La Nicks' people, would crush her to death. Look at how La Nicks' herself openly said she

thank you
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A world without songs written about men and women...

writing a song = ## verses

writing a book = ### pages

I personally find the entire saga of Rumours a complete bore.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, and you know, the thing is, there is hardly anything shocking in it, so my guess is that it definitely went through a few lawyers' hands first. There are some funny anecdotes, but all the drug/party/other excesses stories were all things everybody already knew about. I just have trouble believing all the little details she presents, because there are far too many inaccuracies throughout the book that make it hard for me to take the rest as gospel truth also. For starters, I doubt the accuracy of all the conversations she brings up. Unless she recorded every single one and they are on tape somewhere, it's quite hard to believe she remembered every single word that was said 30 years ago. So that encourages my belief that a lot of stuff was exaggerated and/or embellished, which goes hand in hand with all the over the top romantic and dramatic parts. Like she rewrote a few dialogues to fit them into her 19th century romance novel.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

I agree - much of it likely is hyperbole - or, as Mark Twain would say, the "truth with some stretchers"

I do think, however, how she presents herself in the book is most telling.

I also find it telling that she includes so much of La Nicks in it. I get that La Nicks was a force majeure in the story, but I have to wonder how it would have sold if she limited the comments on La Nicks. In other words, she seems in many excerpts to agree that La Nicks was the center around which all revolved. I have not read the whole thing though - so maybe that is a false perception.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-05-2007 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I also find it telling that she includes so much of La Nicks in it. I get that La Nicks was a force majeure in the story, but I have to wonder how it would have sold if she limited the comments on La Nicks. In other words, she seems in many excerpts to agree that La Nicks was the center around which all revolved. I have not read the whole thing though - so maybe that is a false perception.
I actually found it to be the other way around. Yes, there is a lot of Stevie in it, but she seems to dismiss everything out of hand concerning her. Like she was the smallest blip on the radar ever. She says Lindsey didn't give a rat's ass about her at all, except when he had to deal with her on a professional level. She speaks about some incidents in great detail, she elaborates on what a few of his songs are about, as long as she thinks they are about her. But then she completely evades why Lindsey had those aggressive outbursts, even when it's obvious they coincide with what was going on with Stevie at the time, and she also does not speak about the songs that are definitely not about her. She does not bring up anything personal between Stevie and Lindsey, even though she keeps bringing up the triangle she is stuck in. To me it didn't seem all that tough, and I know it had to have been tougher. She also speaks in great lengths about the bizarreness between Lindsey and Stevie that went on in Australia and New Zealand during the Tusk tour, but she doesn't breathe one word about why they were like that or what was going on between them. She keeps bringing the subject back to her, as if Stevie didn't even matter when obviously she played a big part in some of those major events. In fact, I find her stuff about Stevie, at least the parts where she says she thought of her as this 'beautiful rock and roll goddess' and how she wanted to be friends with her completely forced, because she doesn't resist any chance to make her look like a fool, or to one up her. It's very conflicting.

At the end it had gotten so bad that I almost expected her to say that Lindsey asked "What do you want, you blubbering fool?" when Stevie called his house, sobbing, right after Robin died. Because throughout the entire book that was the tone. It was the only moment in those 7 years where he seemed almost normal.

Last edited by danax6; 07-05-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow s'more fiction

Stevie began to weep, clutching the sheer white chiffon with the delicacy of her fingers, "oh no Lindsey...not her! We had a love that was young and innocent brought together through a song."

In the past, being privy to this spectacle would have been something of a high point in my calendar, but it only weighed heavy on my mind. I thought that perhaps if I was here, I might chance to hear them.

Over the months I had built up a rich story of him and her in my mind. He with the nimble fingers, bright eyes and wayward smile. Her melancholy from too long trapped behind those walls. I imagined her to be his serving maid, perhaps working to please him and he singing at sundown to help her rest.

Lindsey closed his eyes, hoping that I might be nearby to hear him. His sensitive ears picked up the sound of movement, and as the last note faded from her lips, he opened his eyes and glanced towards me. My dress shimmering in the torchlight.

"Carol, I thank you for this night" as he tossed a NIN guitar pick towards me.

I tried to pluck from the air as it spun three now four times. My heart pounded against my ribs. Bowing, Stevie retreated into the gathering crowd, finding some safe shadow from which she might once again look up upon Lindsey.

"So this is love?" Stevie thought, as she vanished back into the darkness of the doorway. I had not imagined that it would strike her so cruelly, that the thought of me would inspire so much pain.

The dead could not be more distant than this lady to him. The pick was warm from his fingers, and I pressed it to my lips for a second. No, it was 30 seconds of that I am sure.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Wait - is that post above an excerpt from the book? (I haven't gotten to that part yet). (On edit: AHHH!!! The post above twas fiction. Thank GOD! But I get it. This is pretty close to Harris' style).

So far, I find the book tedious with detailed quotes and overly fleshed out scenes. How can anyone remember all that crap from 30 years ago? And the fact that she was so young. I look back on when I was that age, and realize that what I thought was reality, was really just my own perception of the scenes going on in my life at the time.

Right now, I'm up to the part where he's in Washington DC (i think) and he's dieing of horrible pain from the spinal tap he got in another city. Carol is freaking out, thinking that he'll die from his next seizure. Meanwhile, Stevie is nowhere to be found - deattached - unconcerned about Lindsey's health. We get one moment when Stevie runs into Carol after the grand mal incident - the only time Stevie appeared or reacted to Lindsey's attack - and proceeded to tell her a story about her dog - who had some kind of seizure, and Stevie totally understood how Carol felt because she was freaking out that she couldn't do anything - to which Carol laughed behind her back, relayed the convo to Lindsey - who also laughed...blah blah blah.

Now - I do believe that Stevie showed Carol her sympathy by telling her the dog story. Stevie seems a bit flakey like that - but really? She didn't care or seem concerned in the least? Never came by the hotel room with the others? Really, Carol - she was cold like that?

Anyway - I just think her writing is superfluous. I find myself reading the meat of a paragraph, and when she begins to ramble (as I am doing now), I skim the page.

Last edited by Boots; 07-05-2007 at 01:14 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^

Very well put! Boots!

The book is so annoying with all the references to romance and the fairytale terms she uses to describe it.

It was bugging me big time, like I was reading a badly written Harlequin Romance and I bought the $30 hardback edition. That's why I skipped to the last chapter. I kept thinking -- "Is this chick ever gonna grow up and talk like an adult?"

I don't take issue with her writing the book. Hey, I'm reading it. What I don't like is the writing style.

She talks about the Rumours Europe tour and how frightened she is. And the sentence before that she says she and John had been to Europe twice and Japan once. She is only 23. That sounds a bit like she's more worldly than she will admit.

While with John, they had a child together and she carefully places it up for adoption. Wouldn't that be a life-altering experience , making one mature and take life a little more seriously? The way CAH writes, I keep thinking... "I don't think this puppy has his eyes open."

I just don't buy that this girl from Oklahoma was that naive'. When she spars with Stevie, she's a full-blown ninja out for war.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
Now - I do believe that Stevie showed Carol her sympathy by telling her the dog story. Stevie seems a bit flakey like that - but really? She didn't care or seem concerned in the least? Never came by the hotel room with the others? Really, Carol - she was cold like that?
Didn't get that either. Throughout the entire book she paints Stevie as this weak and needy person, at least when it comes to Lindsey. Years after their break-up she is saying Stevie was still jealous and tried to come between them. That she couldn't accept Carol was with Lindsey. But Stevie didn't care in the least that Lindsey was apparantly very sick? Either she exaggerated just how bad his condition was, she painted Stevie in a wrong picture or she downplayed the concern, but something is not adding up there. But I got that feeling concerning a lot of things.

Quote:
Anyway - I just think her writing is superfluous. I find myself reading the meat of a paragraph, and when she begins to ramble (as I am doing now), I skim the page.
I agree. I got incredibly tired of it after a while.

Last edited by danax6; 07-05-2007 at 01:25 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
She talks about the Rumours Europe tour and how frightened she is. And the sentence before that she says she and John had been to Europe twice and Japan once.
That was something else that made me go 'huh'. When the Mac was in Japan during the Tusk tour, Carol had remained home, but apparantly John Courage had begged her to fly out, because the band (thus Lindsey) was incredibly bored (no party drugs allowed in Japan) and was making his life a living hell. She then says she had only been to Japan once before, and could understand why they might be bored, because she didn't find it all that interesting either when she was there with her ex-boyfriend John. She was wondering what she might stumble upon when she got there, but a few chapters before that she told us she had accompanied the band to Japan during the Rumours tour, of which we also have documented proof.

Things like that really irk me, because it makes me wonder if she has even read her own book.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, the same exact way La Nicks and LB do
Not the same and you know it. CA writing a trashy novel is not the same as SN writing lyrics. Stevie's lyrics are usually pretty vague and can be interpreted in many different ways. Stevie has always shown alot of loyaty when it comes to divulging her bandmates secrets. CA sharing personal conversations and details about LB, his family, and his demons is very unloyal. For Cripes sakes, she even had to bring up Lindsey's brother and tell the world he has a prosthetic leg...something LB has never felt it necessary to share with his fan base. Interesting read but I don't have to like her motivations either.

Of course, CA can write whatever she wants....I think it is pretty lame to do at this point, when he is married and has little kids who will read this some day. I am sure you will bring up one or two things SN has said in thirty plus years that makes LB look bad but like I said, that doesn't compare to what CA did with her "book".

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Years after their break-up she is saying Stevie was still jealous and tried to come between them. That she couldn't accept Carol was with Lindsey. But Stevie didn't care in the least that Lindsey was apparantly very sick? Either she exaggerated just how bad his condition was, she painted Stevie in a wrong picture or she downplayed the concern, but something is not adding up there. But I got that feeling concerning a lot of things.
Exactly! And that you for bringing that up. I meant to flesh that out in my post. If Stevie was so protective of her relationship with Lindsey, then why the hell is she painted as this uncaring, numb person during a traumatic moment? I know that it's likely that Stevie and Lindsey played up their breakup, but whether they did or not isn't the point here. The point is - their breakup was pretty fierce. It resonated between them for years. I can't accept that Stevie, no matter how pissed she was with him, wouldn't show a modicum of concern. That she was so far removed from the trauma - that Mick, John, Chris and the rest of the entourage were hanging by the door concerned (for selfish reasons perhaps, but they were still there), that the only time she gave a flying fig was when she told Carol about how her dog was spazzing and she didn't know what to do? That's all? I'm not saying Stevie is a saint. I know there was some bad blood between her and Lindsey, but I feel that something was missing here. Something doesn't add up. Or perhaps Stevie was so high at the time that she really floated in another world. Or perhaps Carol wasn't privy to a few behind the scenes moments when Stevie was indeed concerned about Lindsey and came by - while Carol was running around in her bare feet looking for a pharmacist all over Washington DC.

Last edited by Boots; 07-05-2007 at 03:01 PM..