Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Her single did the terrible compared to the others and her next album had one single (that wasn't int he top ten) and only sold gold. Are we forgetting that each of her albums got less and less successful? Her schtick was growing old with the public, Le Stew.

Yeah, sort of how they got burned out on Stevie's over-the-top ridiculousness in the eighties. I suspect that Family Man failed because it was the last single and was released quite awhile after the album was released. It still doesn't lend any credence to the belief that Stevie was still as popular as ever.
Trust me, diss... I'm not at all denying that Stevie's popularity waned.
As everyone is well aware, I follow all of the statistics, album sales, etc., and it's very easy to see that Stevie was not selling as well as she had in the early 80s, and that her singles weren't dominating the airwaves the way they used to.

The only thing I was trying to comment on, is the claim that the drop in popularity and sales is somehow a dependable indicator that her material was of a lesser quality.
We all know for a fact that you can release the best album of your life... Lindsey's 'Out Of The Cradle' is an excellent example of that... and still not be very popular or sell a lot of copies.

Now, in saying this (because one always has to qualify these types of statements around here, otherwise your intention is misconstrued), I'm NOT saying that albums like 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' and 'Street Angel' were the best albums of Stevie's career.
I'm merely stating that low sales are not an indicator of low quality, and shouldn't be used to suggest so.

I was also trying to remind folks that EVERY artist goes through a decline in popularity. You fall out of fashion, or people get burned out on you, and that's that.
The lucky and most talented of the bunch, come back from that eventually.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
They would never have allowed FM to release a record without Stevie on it. That argument is a red herring
Are you sure? Time didn't have Stevie.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, no actually, Stevie did
Well, no actually, Lindsey did.

He agreed to turn his solo album into a Mac album at the insistence of a certain Mick Fleetwood. The album didn't need Stevie or any of the others; it would've gotten released some time in the eighties. But, when it was agreed that it was going to be a Mac album, that entailed bringing back all the members. Fleetwood Mac is a band, not one of Stevie's back-up bands, doll.

Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Are you sure? Time didn't have Stevie.
She was an also ran by then and had officially left the band. We are talking about 1986 here.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, no actually, Lindsey did.

He agreed to turn his solo album into a Mac album at the insistence of a certain Mick Fleetwood. The album didn't need Stevie or any of the others; it would've gotten released some time in the eighties. But, when it was agreed that it was going to be a Mac album, that entailed bringing back all the members. Fleetwood Mac is a band, not one of Stevie's back-up bands, doll.
I agree and did not say they were. My point was and is, they both made sacrifices. Yet, LB's are lauded and SN's are for the most part ignored.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
She was an also ran by then and had officially left the band. We are talking about 1986 here.
You don't think Mick would have insisted on carrying on if Stevie had dropped out? You bet he would have.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yet, LB's are lauded and SN's are for the most part ignored.
Because it comes down to the quality of the work, Jason. Both Dissention and I are saying that she might have been better off excusing herself from the project. I believe that the album would have been better for it.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You don't think Mick would have insisted on carrying on if Stevie had dropped out? You bet he would have.
Oh he would have without a doubt. Would Warners have advanced as much $$$$. I do not think so. But, we will never know will we

Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
The only thing I was trying to comment on, is the claim that the drop in popularity and sales is somehow a dependable indicator that her material was of a lesser quality.
We all know for a fact that you can release the best album of your life... Lindsey's 'Out Of The Cradle' is an excellent example of that... and still not be very popular or sell a lot of copies.

Now, in saying this (because one always has to qualify these types of statements around here, otherwise your intention is misconstrued), I'm NOT saying that albums like 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' and 'Street Angel' were the best albums of Stevie's career.
I'm merely stating that low sales are not an indicator of low quality, and shouldn't be used to suggest so.

I was also trying to remind folks that EVERY artist goes through a decline in popularity. You fall out of fashion, or people get burned out on you, and that's that.
The lucky and most talented of the bunch, come back from that eventually.
But, in Stevie's case, the music was of lesser quality and that reflected in sales. Trust me, I'm a HUGE Stevie fan. I don't care for RAL and SA at all or her TITN stuff, the rest I'm okay with. But, if you look at the timeline, the music got worse with each album and so did the sales. I think sales declined because her image was cartoonish AND because the music was of lesser quality. The sales didn't decline because it was good music.

And, thankfully, Stevie got her **** together and made great music again.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Because it comes down to the quality of the work, Jason. Both Dissention and I are saying that she might have been better off excusing herself from the project. I believe that the album would have been better for it.
So, you agree she made the effort, you just wish she had not because of the material she gave. I think we have a detente

Old 05-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, you agree she made the effort, you just wish she had not because of the material she gave. I think we have a detente
Anyone can sit there, sing a song, and say they put in the effort. She didn't.

She used a song she hadn't written, one that made absolutely no sense, and another that I consider to be utter garbage. She was there for days, whereas everyone else was there for months. If that's effort, then I stand by my assessment that Lindsey is vastly underrated.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm still not sure I understand. I presume it is because the premise strikes me as flawed. No one is saying Stevie fans are blasting Lindsey for her subpar work. Eh, I guess I don't get your point. No biggie.
You said....
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevaca
Yes, I suspect the vitriol directed at Lindsey to this day for leaving after the Tango sessions is a manifestation of what the Stevie fans know deep inside: Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey was rather uninteresting.
Which lead me to my question as to how fans who are chided for "deluding themselves" into thinking Stevie's material in that era was good, could somehow also think that very same material was "uninteresting" and that Lindsey is at fault.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyone can sit there, sing a song, and say they put in the effort. She didn't.

She used a song she hadn't written, one that made absolutely no sense, and another that I consider to be utter garbage. She was there for days, whereas everyone else was there for months. If that's effort, then I stand by my assessment that Lindsey is vastly underrated.
I am talking about the effort to make time for FM. Clearly she did that. They sent her things on the road, she sent them things. So, you may not like the result, but she made as much of an effort as she had in her. I truly believe that. Again, other than bowing out, which Warner's would never allow, what more could she have done. This is why I have such a problem with people excusing LB for his survival move, but then they cut La Nicks no slack. I mean I think she did the best she could and, sadly, the results (2/3) were lacking.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am talking about the effort to make time for FM. Clearly she did that. They sent her things on the road, she sent them things. So, you may not like the result, but she made as much of an effort as she had in her. I truly believe that. Again, other than bowing out, which Warner's would never allow, what more could she have done. This is why I have such a problem with people excusing LB for his survival move, but then they cut La Nicks no slack. I mean I think she did the best she could and, sadly, the results (2/3) were lacking.
She's part of the band, it's expected that she make time. I won't sing praises because she did her job.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She's part of the band, it's expected that she make time. I won't sing praises because she did her job.
Well, she did make the time. That is my point. Yet, you state she should have bowed out even if she was part of the band. Again, clearly 0she did what she could. I think they should have waited for her to finish rehab and then start the record. That way LB could have released his record. But, FM made this group decision. So, who am I to argue with their logic