The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is interesting. Do you think he's someone who has to prepare extensively before touring? I know he can't read music, or that was said a while back. Obviously he's the person in Fleetwood Mac who has to work the hardest. I wonder if he'd be able to play any song at will without reacquainting himself with the parts; he may have to work really hard to make some songs performance ready and respectable. Maybe that's why he doesn't always honor the requests.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
This is interesting. Do you think he's someone who has to prepare extensively before touring? I know he can't read music, or that was said a while back. Obviously he's the person in Fleetwood Mac who has to work the hardest. I wonder if he'd be able to play any song at will without reacquainting himself with the parts; he may have to work really hard to make some songs performance ready and respectable. Maybe that's why he doesn't always honor the requests.
i'm not really sure what you mean by "he has to" work the hardest. he does work the hardest, seemingly because he knows and cares the most about all the different moving parts - the sound, the arrangement, the mix, the lighting, etc etc. he pulls it all together, and all band members look at him what to do next if something is off or different, like Mick says he's their maestro, like a conductor. but he doesn't have to do it. he can just show up, play his guitar, sing, and look pretty.

if judging by requests he did at OMS tour and videos i've seen of Bwana and other ad-hoc performances, i think he more/less remembers these older songs, but being a perfectionist he doesn't want to do them. he thought Rock Away Blind he was doing as a request in 2012 was nowhere near ready for the stage, while everybody loved that it was little rougher, a bit different every time, without backing track or extra frills.

Walk A Thin Line we sprung on him at the m&g the night before. he said he can't do it because a) he already promised Erin he'd do RAB, and b) he doesn't remember the whole song.

when he did that one verse of WATL the next day, he messed up the lyrics, because he was looking at what the audience was singing and we combined the lyrics from 2 separate verses into 1. he was complaining later how awful it was and that he sang wrong lyrics. but it was gorgeous and spontaneous and a big party, just look at the videos from that night!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the account. I watched the WATL video. It was funny, it was spontaneous as you said, and it felt really genuine. That's fantastic you were able to get him to do it. It probably helped that he recognized your face over just some random person he can't see shouting out song titles in the audience.

Of course, he doesn't have to work the hardest...I was getting at what you picked on, simply that he does work the hardest. He's always on stage, he's most responsible for arrangements, he's the most involved.

I wish Fleetwood Mac did requests. I think they have been really shaken up in the past when they've "lost" audiences. They worry about playing a few too many obscure/deep track songs because then, from the perspective of the band, it's like you are playing to dead silence. Very awkward, very off-putting for a performer to not get a positive response, and to see people moving away, leaving. Maybe the best thing to do is to do a few one-off special performances like the Rolling Stones have done (filmed by Martin Scorsese), held in smaller concert halls like Lindsey's tours that give the band more opportunities to be flexible.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know its not a rarity or anything, but I'm really excited to hear You Make Loving Fun! I was only 8 years old when I saw it on the Dance tour, so this will be a refresher. However on all the Dance bootlegs, YMLF was the song that got Chris the most applause. Very excited for it this time!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another setlist idea. This is too much fun, trying to come up with an order and balancing what we expect with some surprises. I think I have 14 different songs from the tour last year.

Albatross
Crickets

1. Tusk (Opener)
2. The Chain -----------------------------------------------------> is there any chance in hell The Chain/Dreams block is broken up? The Chain as an encore?
3. Dreams
4. Say You Love Me (Christine Introduction) ----------------> in all likelihood a Christine song doesn't start the show; but her first song must be a big hit (She's back!)
5. Fireflies --------------------------------------------------------> unlikely, but appropriate
6. Tango In the Night (Guitar Solo) ---------------------------> we'll likely hear I'm So Afraid (does L have any other solos up his sleeve?)
7. Seven Wonders ------------------------------------------------> if Stevie makes a nod to American Horror Story
8. Little Lies
9. What Makes You Think You're the One
10. Angel ----------------------------------------------------------> Tusk block, WMYTYTO is one of Lindsey's favorites, Angel is revived (or possibly Beautiful Child)
11. Think About Me

Acoustic Set
12. Big Love (Guitar Solo)
13. Gypsy (Acoustic, Arizona Heart Institute Benefit) --------> this would be an inspired arrangement, and draw less attention to S lowering verses
14. Never Going Back Again
15. Landslide ------------------------------------------------------> why hasn't this ever been considered for an encore? it would be perfect as one of the ending songs (sigh)

16. Love In Store --------------------------------------------------> or Everywhere; Hold Me is less likely
17. Gold Dust Woman
18. Bleed to Love Her ---------------------------------------------> the sole representative from Say You Will; maybe L does Sad Angel too
19. Isn't It Midnight -----------------------------------------------> this would be a great surprise, uptempo toward end of concert; or Oh Daddy here
20. Second Hand News -------------------------------------------> Tusk could easily go here if they begin again with SHN
21. You Make Loving Fun
22. Rhiannon -------------------------------------------------------> if Stand Back is out, what Stevie song could go toward end of main set?
23. Go Your Own Way

Encore 1
24. World Turning -------------------------------------------------> World Turning could be dropped for 26 songs
25. Don't Stop ------------------------------------------------------> any chance this gets moved into main set? probably not

Encore 2
26. Crystal (Stevie and Lindsey Duet) ---------------------------> Stevie's and Lindsey's final bows (or put this in place of Landslide earlier, and put Landslide here)
27. Songbird

Last edited by bethelblues; 04-09-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Ledgie

Default "On With The Show" 2014 Setlist

If I was in charge of putting together the setlist for this tour, this is what we'd get:

• MONDAY MORNING (from Fleetwood Mac)
• SEVEN WONDERS (from Tango In The Night)
• SPARE ME A LITTLE OF YOUR LOVE (from Bare Trees)
• BLUE LETTER (from Fleetwood Mac)
• ANGEL (from Tusk)
• I DO (from Time)
• FROZEN LOVE (from Buckingham Nicks)
• BEHIND THE MASK (from Behind The Mask)
• I DON’T WANT TO KNOW (from Rumours)
• HOLD ME (from Mirage)
• SAY YOU WILL (from Say You Will)
• BOOK OF LOVE (from Mirage)
• HONEY HI (from Tusk)
• THAT’S ALRIGHT (from Mirage)
• WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU’RE THE ONE (from Tusk)
• LOVE IN STORE (from Mirage)
• FIREFLIES (from Live)
• HEROES ARE HARD TO FIND (from Heroes Are Hard To Find)
• CRYSTAL (from Fleetwood Mac)
• OVER & OVER (from Tusk)
• CAN’T GO BACK (from Mirage)
• AFFAIRS OF THE HEART (from Behind The Mask)
• ISN’T IT MIDNIGHT (from Tango In The Night)
• SECOND HAND NEWS (from Rumours)

ENCORE
• THE SECOND TIME (from Behind The Mask)
• WHY (from Mystery To Me)

Very wishful thinking! I'll be happy with whatever they come up with!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ I love some of your choices. I wish Fleetwood Mac had just an ounce of your taste. Besides Oh Well, they haven't looked back on the pre-1975 catalogue; understandably, they did this more often in the 70s for the long-time FM fans as the Rumours-era music was just becoming popular and resonating with audiences. It'll be interesting to see what Christine feels like playing.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
^^^ I love some of your choices. I wish Fleetwood Mac had just an ounce of your taste. Besides Oh Well, they haven't looked back on the pre-1975 catalogue; understandably, they did this more often in the 70s for the long-time FM fans as the Rumours-era music was just becoming popular and resonating with audiences. It'll be interesting to see what Christine feels like playing.
I wish it were like, "Hey Christine what do you feel like playing?" versus " Christine we need to do SYLM, Over My Head, YMLF, Little Lies, Oh Daddy, Don't Stop, World Turning, and Songbird."
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wish it were like, "Hey Christine what do you feel like playing?" versus " Christine we need to do SYLM, Over My Head, YMLF, Little Lies, Oh Daddy, Don't Stop, World Turning, and Songbird."
Exactly! Who would be the one to tell her that and make it so limiting? Is that the tour manager--Mick, Stevie, and Lindsey--or just ingrained pressure she would feel herself?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Exactly! Who would be the one to tell her that and make it so limiting? Is that the tour manager--Mick, Stevie, and Lindsey--or just ingrained pressure she would feel herself?
I think when you become a nostalgia band, you are obligated to play the nostalgia. Good question on who makes them play those songs.

Let's blame, Mick!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLamb View Post
If I was in charge of putting together the setlist for this tour, this is what we'd get:

MONDAY MORNING (from Fleetwood Mac)
SEVEN WONDERS (from Tango In The Night)
SPARE ME A LITTLE OF YOUR LOVE (from Bare Trees)
BLUE LETTER (from Fleetwood Mac)
ANGEL (from Tusk)
I DO (from Time)
FROZEN LOVE (from Buckingham Nicks)
BEHIND THE MASK (from Behind The Mask)
I DON’T WANT TO KNOW (from Rumours)
HOLD ME (from Mirage)
SAY YOU WILL (from Say You Will)
BOOK OF LOVE (from Mirage)
HONEY HI (from Tusk)
THAT’S ALRIGHT (from Mirage)
WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU’RE THE ONE (from Tusk)
LOVE IN STORE (from Mirage)
FIREFLIES (from Live)
HEROES ARE HARD TO FIND (from Heroes Are Hard To Find)
CRYSTAL (from Fleetwood Mac)
OVER & OVER (from Tusk)
CAN’T GO BACK (from Mirage)
AFFAIRS OF THE HEART (from Behind The Mask)
ISN’T IT MIDNIGHT (from Tango In The Night)
SECOND HAND NEWS (from Rumours)

ENCORE
THE SECOND TIME (from Behind The Mask)
WHY (from Mystery To Me)

Very wishful thinking! I'll be happy with whatever they come up with!
The majority of the audience is made up of casual fans that only know the hits and the popular album cuts. With the tickets prices being as astronomical as they currently are for the new tour, this setlist, for the casual fan, does not justify that. They'd leave the show feeling that they didn't get what they paid for. The critics would probably pan the show as well without songs like "Rhiannon," "Landslide," "Dreams" and "Go Your Own Way," in the set. However, for a hardcore ledgie/Mac fan, this setlist would most likely more than justify the high prices. I think this is a wonderful setlist though.

Last edited by sanders8323; 04-15-2014 at 01:40 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLamb View Post
ENCORE
THE SECOND TIME (from Behind The Mask)
Oh...HELL NO!!!

I was diggin' the set list until this. Take this sack of crap out & play a Bob Welch or Peter Green song.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Oh...HELL NO!!!

I was diggin' the set list until this. Take this sack of crap out & play a Bob Welch or Peter Green song.
How about, "When You Say"?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
How about, "When You Say"?
Ok, here's a set list for ya:

Oh Diane
Welcome To The Room...Sara
When You Say
Running Through The Garden
Road Runner
The Second Time

First one to either barf or have an explosive bowel movement loses.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ok, here's a set list for ya:

Oh Diane
Welcome To The Room...Sara
When You Say
Running Through The Garden
Road Runner
The Second Time

First one to either barf or have an explosive bowel movement loses.
Followed by Stevie reading, "Thoughts on a Grey Day".