Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dreams, I'll Be Around

Does anyone remember the interview w Stevie from this summer, (Interview Magazine maybe?) where she said Dreams was inspired by a song by The Spinners?... I'm thinking it could be I'll Be Around.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
Does anyone remember the interview w Stevie from this summer, (Interview Magazine maybe?) where she said Dreams was inspired by a song by The Spinners?... I'm thinking it could be I'll Be Around.
Yep, makes sense.

Funny story- "I'll Be Around" was later covered in the 90's with great commercial success by Rappin' 4-Tay, who was my AirBART shuttle driver in Oakland a few months ago. HAAAAAA.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
Stevie said that? I love that song by The Spinners... however, I don’t really hear much of “I’ll Be Around” in Dreams in the original version but I can kind of hear it in the In Concert version from 1981. It’s a tad slower and Stevie puts a lot of heartfelt emotion into that performance.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Junior Ledgie

I can see the similarity between it and the demo on the 2 cd Rumours release.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was playing a game of “name that tune” with Steph today. I started with the 1972 classic by The Spinners “I’ll Be Around”. She immediately began singing “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac. And what do you know? They’re essentially the same song! Here’s why…

1) Chord structure in both is identical (apart from the key difference of a 1/2 step, which could be an artifact of tape speeds):

Spinners: Emaj7 | F#6 (repeated through the entire tune)
Fleetwood: Fmaj7 | G6 (repeated through the entire tune)

2) Beats per minute: 110 vs 120 (Fleetwood is faster) with a straight backbeat that emphasizes the upbeats of 3 and 4 on both tunes.

3) Both melodies move around a pentatonic scale built on the V chord: F#, G#, B, C#, D# (in the Spinners key). This also outlines the sonority of the second chord (F#6). Technically, by copyright standards, they are different, but your ear you should tell you otherwise.

4) Final bit of evidence — someone on a forum mentioned that in a recent interview, Nicks admitted it. Still looking for that article…

http://andrewlienhard.com/2010/10/26...-the-spinners/
Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
I was playing a game of “name that tune” with Steph today. I started with the 1972 classic by The Spinners “I’ll Be Around”. She immediately began singing “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac. And what do you know? They’re essentially the same song! Here’s why…

1) Chord structure in both is identical (apart from the key difference of a 1/2 step, which could be an artifact of tape speeds):

Spinners: Emaj7 | F#6 (repeated through the entire tune)
Fleetwood: Fmaj7 | G6 (repeated through the entire tune)

2) Beats per minute: 110 vs 120 (Fleetwood is faster) with a straight backbeat that emphasizes the upbeats of 3 and 4 on both tunes.

3) Both melodies move around a pentatonic scale built on the V chord: F#, G#, B, C#, D# (in the Spinners key). This also outlines the sonority of the second chord (F#6).
Technically, by copyright standards, they are different, but your ear you should t

4) Final bit of evidence — someone on a forum mentioned that in a recent interview, Nicks admitted it. Still looking for that article…

http://andrewlienhard.com/2010/10/26...-the-spinners/

Wow that's pretty scientific! Can you explain or give an example of chord structure- what is that? I have always liked that Spinners song, but I don't really hear Dreams in it (like I hear Stairway to Heaven in the beginning of New Orleans).

Jamie
Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just found that blog. It isn't my writing. I was reminded of the Spinners inspiration when I saw the recent biography of them on TV One.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

well, 7 years later, I was thinking about it again, and decided to actually try finding that interview.. I did! It was when she interviewed Mary J. Blige, for those who remember:

SN: Well, “Dreams” was totally inspired by a Spinners song. I don’t really remember which, because it was so long ago, but I think I wrote it in five minutes.

MJB: That is amazing. That song is so simple but very strong, like “Thunder only happens when it’s raining/Players only love you when they’re playing.” That line is so amazing.

http://brownsista.com/mary-j-blige-i...oot-interview/

I remember when I first read this I went and listened to most of the Spinners' hits, and "I'll Be Around" was the only thing that came close, and as a musician myself, I can totally hear it. Whenever it comes on now I'll usually end up singing Dreams along with it
Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can hear the similarity now. Cool!

And of course Dreams left its mark on a lot of other songs, like Neil Young's Lotta Love.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the Spinners also sing the line "I know you know" a couple of times in this song... wonder where that idea may have bled into...