Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Instant Live Albums Available After Show

Can we get Fleetwood Mac interested in this new trend?

by Marc Pollack, Feb. 11
A group of music executives has started DiscLive, a new company that will allow concertgoers to buy recordings of shows as they leave the venue. The company said it will provide fans with instantly available live discs for sale immediately after the end of a concert.

The founders of the company proclaim that they have developed a new revenue stream for the beleaguered music industry, but its success will depend on how many record labels and big-name artists it gets on board.

Fans will now have the opportunity to purchase premium, limited edition, one night only CD pressings of concerts that they attend.

DiscLive CEO Rich Isaacson, former President/Co-Owner of Loud Records, is excited about the opportunity this concept brings to the music industry. "For the past few years music industry revenues have been declining for both labels and artists," he said. "Our business provides both parties a new, risk-free opportunity to extend the investment on their brand."

Co-Founder David Blanchard adds, "For the last four decades, fans have been subjected to endless searching for sub par recordings of shows they attended. DiscLive has the means to provide these fans with not only a professionally mixed recording but an individually numbered collectable that they can treasure for years to come."

DiscLive plans to go on tour with the band, allowing artists to distribute every show and add a custom feel to each product, as opposed to shows recorded simply because of the venue that they are at. "Because our team will be traveling with the artists, we will be able to integrate tour specific bonus material and random ‘special edition’ CDs, such as autographed copies and backstage passes," Blanchard said. "We want to provide an entirely new way for artists to provide for their faithful supporters."

In addition, fans will be able to pre-order the limited edition CDs online, where they will be given a unique barcode to claim their CD. In addition, kiosks will be located throughout the venues so fans can order the CDs while at the show. "We anticipate each edition to sell out quickly, so fans will want to get in early on the deal," co-founder Jake Walker said. "These collectables won’t ever be mass-produced, so it’s a now-or-never proposition for the diehard fans." Fans can even submit personal requests via for bands they would like to see provide this service.

On the company's board are several prominent music execs, including Jerry Blair, president of Mariah Carey's label MonarC, Sami Valkonen, who was most recently senior VP of New Media and Business Development at BMG, and Tomas Cookman, president of Cookman International, a full-service Latin music company and founder of the Latin Alternative Music Conference.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw this article too - I think it's a great idea, and I'm sure the sound quality would ROCK (no pun intended), compared to the "MP3 player in my shirt pocket" quality that most bootlegs have.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love this idea.... and it would be great if The Mac would do it. But Mick would probably demand the prices be raised for each CD for some rediculous reason or another! lmao And the money jokes keep on rollin'!

Still... what a great idea!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question I remember...

reading this on a McCartney NG where it was apparently going to be done by Macca on the US tour legs, But the logisitics (I never could spell it right...) couldnt be ironed out...So it was scrapped...

Would be interesting to see though, Especially with some newer arena's having A.L.D. access which makes it very easy for bootleg taping purposes...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 02-12-2003 at 07:41 PM..
Old 02-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What about:

BUT WAIT!!!! Each CD set you buy of YOUR show, there's a coupon enclosed that you can send $1,100 to "MickFleetwood.com" and you'll get recordings of each show of the entire tour!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this idea! But, being a damned completist, I WOULD want every show of the tour.

Last edited by chiliD; 02-12-2003 at 06:43 PM..
Old 02-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Didnt...

Pearl Jam record a whole tour worth of concerts not all that long ago and finally released the individual shows on cd? Brian J.

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow - I knew there would have to be some innovation sooner or later in the music industry in the face of the p2p-induced sales slump. Here's hoping the Mac gets onboard and the 'logisitics' work out!!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
What about:

BUT WAIT!!!! Each CD set you buy of YOUR show, there's a coupon enclosed that you can send $1,100 to "MickFleetwood.com" and you'll get recordings of each show of the entire tour!!

lmao! You know, a couple of weeks ago I would have just laughed at that as a joke, but now.....nothing would surprise me.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this idea! But, being a damned completist, I WOULD want every show of the tour.
i'm like that too.. but if they did this.. i bet the FM Traders would be ALL about it, so, theoretically.. anal retentive collectors like you & me could have the WHOLE DAMN TOUR archived on CD.

suh-Weet!

Sarah
Old 02-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Didnt...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
Pearl Jam record a whole tour worth of concerts not all that long ago and finally released the individual shows on cd? Brian J.
Yes, they did do that for their 2000 (I think) tour and it looks like they'll be doing it again in 2003. It was a bit different - the shows weren't available instantly after the show, and there weren't any bonuses, etc. But what an incredible gift to the fans.

But then, with Pearl Jam, no two shows are alike. With their static setlists, I'm not sure how well FMac would do. I'd get every single one of them, and alot of other collectors would, but would most people want 40 copies of a show with the exact same setlist in the exact same order? And like everyone else, I'm sure Mick would twist it somehow to make it unappealing even to us.

Mike B.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Thats what I thought...

I knew they didnt release each show after it was recorded...But I thought the idea to release the whole tour on Cd was different, But very original...Brian J.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

I'm like Sarah & ChiliD and I'd want 'em all too! Once again it seems like a business that Mick could make money and it would work but he seems to like to not go for those and instead likes to take on the "not so sure" business ventures instead. Hmm...whatever!

John
Old 02-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Once again it seems like a business that Mick could make money and it would work but he seems to like to not go for those and instead likes to take on the "not so sure" business ventures instead.

I'd rephrase "not so sure" to "LONGSHOT". And, I'd also not describe Mick so much a "businessman" as I would "risky gambler".