The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, if it WOULD lead to one, I definately wouldn't object. I heart me some mac (AND STEVIE!!!!)
Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What HAS helped the Eagles is that they embraced their "country" influences, whereas Fleetwood Mac (as a whole) has shunned them.

Had they attempted to get some airplay on country radio, they could've reached a whole bucket load of new "ears". The Eagles & Fleetwood Mac had a similar demographic audience back in the '70s, but, when the '90s "new country" stations started playing Eagles songs, and then with the release of the Common Thread Eagles tribute album by then current top country artists, that just blew open a whole new audience for them.

It seems like Mick & John (and whoever else was involved) had this standoffish attitude about "country music" that they just put a damper on their own success. Just think about the songs that could have been in rotation on country radio in the past 25 or so years:

Blue Letter
Crystal
Say You Love Me
Landslide
Never Going Back Again
I Don't Want To Know
World Turning
That's Alright
Sara
When I See You Again
When The Sun Goes Down
Do You Know?
Talkin' To My Heart
I Got It In For You
Nothing Without You
Destiny Rules
Say You Will

Any of those would fit just like a glove alongside what is "Today's Country".
Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If anyone in the Fleetwood Mac camp is appropiated to go country it is Stevie! She's the only one who actually has some country roots, given her grandfather's aspirations in that field. More than a few of her songs have a country influence -- After The Glitter Fades, That's Alright, Storms, Leather and Lace, Rose Garden, The Highway Man etc...

I think her best chance to have another hit song on the charts is to do a country-tinged album. I'm not a fan of country music; I find most of it cheesy, especially what passes for country music today --which currently does have a heavy pop influence. At least we could count on Stevie's country music being less cheese and more intricate and interesting. Plus, the country music field seems to be more accepting of older artists than the rock world.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-14-2007 at 02:45 PM..
Old 02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ And that's why Bella Donna was such a good album. She embraced those roots. BD sounds like the Eagles are her recording band.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
buckymcnix
This message has been deleted by buckymcnix.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
If anyone in the Fleetwood Mac camp is appropiated to go country it is Stevie! She's the only one who actually has some country roots, given her grandfather's aspirations in that field.
Well, CURRENTLY, yeah...but, Fleetwood Mac has had "country-rooted" people in the band previously. Such as, when Bekka Bramlett & Billy Burnette were members...and at the time he was a member, Dave Mason's biggest hit was covered and high on the country charts.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even the early Mac had "country-rooted" songs. Jeremy Spencer's stuff on "Kiln House" was very influenced by late-50s/early-60s Nashville. And,not to rain on anybody's parade, the band was already playing around with country-pop during the Bob Welch years. "Come A Little Bit Closer" and "She's Chaging Me" from "Heroes Are Hard To Find" had a country twang (of course, have Sneaky Pete playing the pedal steel doesn't hurt).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, CURRENTLY, yeah...but, Fleetwood Mac has had "country-rooted" people in the band previously. Such as, when Bekka Bramlett & Billy Burnette were members...and at the time he was a member, Dave Mason's biggest hit was covered and high on the country charts.
Yes, there are country influences in various members and songs of Fleetwood Mac, but that's not my point. Bekka and Billy actually did do a country album together. Stevie hasn't..but she should since she does it so well. And, for what it's worth, Dolly Parton is a big fan of Stevie. What I was trying to say is that of semi -current members, who would likely lean in that direction most?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-15-2007 at 01:32 PM..
Old 02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fact - The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac have had a similar fan base since the mid to late 70's (Anyone here born prior to 1970?). Yes, the Eagles gained new fans during the 90's with the country stuff. Both acts were top selling artists during the past century in the pop/rock category. People...record execs are going to "connect the dots". I'm not saying FM will for sure go for it and speed up a CD release, but the record execs will definately be there with offers to get them to do so if the Eagles CD is successful.

In the late 90's, it was a "nolstagic" draw which help propel both groups sales (6 to 9 million). The bands don't have to draw new audiences to be successful, they both have an affluent, mature audience that could buy millions.

SYW wasn't a smash (700,000), but the next one may be!

Come back Christine!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post

Come back Christine!!!

Amen and hallelujah to that.