User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Post Time Bomb Town: Discussion

Okee, it seems like I started a thread for this song not long ago, but oh well...we have some new Ledgies, good excuse for another discussion!! LOL

Time Bomb Town...from the Back to the Future soundtrack (one of my fave movies and one of the first records I remember asking my dad to get for me). His vocals on this are (using David's word) TRIPPY! They are herky-jerky, which is very unusual. When I first listened to this record, I HATED, HATED, HATED this song!! LOL I was about 9 years old when the movie came out and I mainly got it because I love Huey Lewis and the News and the song Earth Angel (LMAO!!). So, apparently, Lindsey has always "been with me", but I just didn't know it. It took my growing older and expanding my musical horizons to truly appreciate Lindsey and his trippy ways!! Honestly tho, I like the alternate version of the song as opposed to the one found on the soundtrack and I listen to it more often. I love that "boing" sound at the VERY beginning of the song....it's wierd!! What is that, a wierd drum of some sort? Anyone know the background of the song in terms of who played on it, if anyone besides Lindsey? I COULD go do the research myself, but I'm lazy. LMAO!!

So....thoughts on TBT anyone?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:14 PM
joe

i just got this song a few weeks ago and love it....i've never heard it before. what is this about an alternate version? splain Lucy splain!!!!

Old 02-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Time Bomb Town!!!

Hi Christy! Is that the song all funky-
trippy about..." I got some bad information
...I keep it to my self!" Uhhhhhmm!!!Wonder
what that means! Lindsey got deep secrets?
We adored Earth Angel and now Lindsey!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 02-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Joe...

The original is different at the end. He does herky jerky singing and goes "wah pa pa pa pa" (LOL) at the end whereas, in the alternate, he does the "woah". The original from the soundtrack is 2:47 and the alternate version is 2:56. My fave is the alternate.

Yep Sky, THAT's the one!! It IS Lindsey wierd vocal song!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Ledgie

Default TBT

Wow Christy

I wasn't aware of the alternate version either. But I've always liked this song. It's classic Lindsey, doing all his typical funky little "bordering-on-insanity-I'm-gonna-mess-with-the-listener's-head" type stuff.

Come to think of it, I think Lindsey's voice is just naturally trippy anyway, regardless of what he's doing. There's no one else who sounds like him, and he uses that to his advantage - always pushing the envelope of the human psyche (lol). That's what makes him so cool. And for that reason, even his most "inaccessible" stuff has become ultra accessible to me. Whenever he goes off on some strange trip in a song, I just smile and say to myself "That's my boy...there he goes again, doin' that thing he does"

Let's face it... Lindsey Rocks!!!

I always get a kick out of some FM fans who say they don't care for Lindsey's stuff as much as Stevie's or Chris's. I just want to laugh and say something like "What's a matter? Is Lindsey a little too out there for ya? Can't handle it? Do you need something a little softer on your precious ears that won't actually challenge your senses?"

lol - David
Old 02-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking LOL!!!

David, you really are ALL RIGHT!! LOL I agree, when I FIRST heard some of his Tusk songs and most of Law and Order, I was like "What the?" (LOL), but, now, I've come to appreciate everything he's done, no matter how wierd or "non-accessible" to non-LB fans. I've always been one of those kind of music listeners that loved artists that nobody else seemed to, so my love for Lindsey was pre-determined from God, I think! LOL

I love how his voice has changed over the years, from a high voice to a deep, sexy voice. I LOVE the high voice too, but I think he sounds better today than he ever has!

Your quote "doin' that thing he does" made me think of the movie "That Thing You Do!"!! LOL Have you seen that one, with Tom Hanks? Funny, cute movie!!

That last paragraph!! LMAO!! I love me some Stevie and Christine and everyone has a right to who they love the most, but that was too funny!!

BTW, I am a HUGE Danny fan and thanks to my pal, John (wetcamelfood), I have his solo stuff!! You into pre-Rumours or Danny at all?
Old 02-25-2003, 02:17 AM
Junior Ledgie

I like Time Bomb Town. It's a song that probably only Lindsey could pull off and make it sound good. Now...since you've teased us with the revelation of an alternate version, where does one go to find this little gem?
Old 02-25-2003, 05:06 AM
Ledgie

Default Christy

Funny thing is, that Tom Hanks movie crept into my mind when I typed my last post - lol.

Anyway, there was a time years ago when I got into the pre-rumours stuff. At one point I had every thing that was available by the band - I still have some of the earlier stuff on vinyl (Mystery to me, Penguin, etc). But over the years my tastes have become - how should I say this? - more "refined". At one point, I just decided that none of the pre-rumours FM stuff measured up to what I was looking for out of music. So I stopped being interested in it, and I never bothered to collect it on CD.

...with one exception...I do like Bare Trees. I used to get really baked and listen to that CD quite a bit - lol.

But for the most part, I'm a Lindsey fan - he is the one who really opened my eyes to what could be accomplished in a recording studio. Unfortunately in my case, this little obsession has been rolled over into my own music, and the bar that Lindsey set has partially prevented me from being satisfied with ANY of my own material and recording my own album for the last 10 years. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever happen - lol

Geez - I could keep talking about this stuff forever. I'm getting a little off topic here, but oh well (no pun intended). Your post prompted me to pull up a little compilation CD I made of LB "rarities" (although some of the songs aren't that rare). It has "Time Bomb Town" on it, which I downloaded off the net last year (I have the original Back to the Future soundtrack on vinyl, and I don't deal with vinyl anymore). Anyway, this disc also has a great extended-alternate mix of "Go Insane", a live version I found of "Don't Look Down" and "Soul Drifter", and as we speak, I'm listening to an extended remix of the suave little "Family Man". I'm doin' my dance - lol

david
Old 02-25-2003, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default LMAO!!

Quote:
Originally posted by John
I like Time Bomb Town. It's a song that probably only Lindsey could pull off and make it sound good. Now...since you've teased us with the revelation of an alternate version, where does one go to find this little gem?
Yep, nobody else could do TBT and still sound COOL!! If you have AIM, I can send it to ya, John. If not, PM me and I'll see if I can put it up on a site for you to download, okee?

David, BARE TREES ROCKS!! I love Danny's stuff on that and Bob and Chris are good too!! I flip flop alot on my fave Danny song, but I am leaning towards Bare Trees these days. LOL I love the pre-Rumours stuff, mind you, not ALL of it delights my ears, but I do like alot of it. That's cool you are a musician too, but LB keeping you back...not so good!! LOL You have to come to that realization that you are YOU, Lindsey is Lindsey and you have your style, he has his, you gotta accept SOMETHING or you'll never get anywhere!! Listen to this idiot, I don't even know you, and I'm trying to give you advice. LMAO!!

Anywho..funny you mention making the Lindsey rarities CD, I have been trying to make one but my CD won't burn, dag nabbit!! I've killed two CD's already trying to burn it, I will try ONE more time tho...LOL I love vinyl!! I collect records and have some FM, Lindsey and Stevie records framed on my wall. If only for the covers alone, I love vinyl, but I don't listen to it much. Why would someone, when you have CD's?? Nostalgia I suppose and I DO sometimes break out my records, but for the most part..nuh uh...I just love looking at the great cover art!!

Have you heard the Center Stage version of Street of Dreams? When I first heard/saw it, it gave me CHILLS...it's THAT good!!!! The whole Center Stage show is GREATNESS, even tho I don't really like the guitar army thing...I just want Lindsey on a stage alone, he has enough electricity in him to keep me entertained for MILLENIUMS!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Ledgie

Default christy

well, I can't argue with you on the point you made about Lindsey having enough electricity "solo" - that dude is on fire!!!

But I really did like the guitar army thing when I saw him live. It was necessary in order to reproduce his material live. And that's what really excites me in a live situation - seeing how a band is going to pull off the studio layering, etc. I find it intriguing

Anyway, thanks for the advice - lol. It's all good. Lindsey hasn't held me back - I've held me back. It's just that when you listen to so many artists that truly are brilliant (people like Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree - that group's "Lindsey"), you tend to question your own thing a lot. I just don't want to put out crap. It has to be amazing or I don't want to do it at all. I've had to work through my own demons on this issue, but I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that my music doesn't have to be perfect...

...but it still has to be pretty damn incredible

thanks for your warm thoughts
david
Old 02-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Ledgie

Default ps

Oh yeah, and BTW christy, vinyl really does suck. LOL I'm a digital person myself. I always laugh at people who say that "vinyl sounds better". Total bullsh#t.

But I agree that the cover art is always cool. That's why I got into collecting some of the vinyl - I just thought the art was cool.

And then there's Buckingham Nicks - of which I have two copies on vinyl. One's in pretty darn good condition too. That's where I will justify vinyl - where no other medium exists. If they do ever release BN on CD, my copies will be worthless. But I wonder how much they are now. lol

ok - way off topic here. My apologies to others on this board for carrying on this way.

david
Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ok.. i LOVE this song.

I absolutely adore TBT. The first time I heard it, I was like.. hey-ay.. and played it over and over, just to disect it. He uses lots of really cool little sounds in there. It's like, kinda simple but intricate at the same time. Great stuffs.

The little whistle sound is so cool.. and the best part, imo, is when he's like.. there must be a million PEopLE! he goes back up high.. and it's awesome.

I don't think anybody else could pull this off, either. The jerky sounds good on LB. But it'd be really hokey on someone else.

Sarah

Last edited by Sarah; 02-25-2003 at 06:56 PM..
Old 02-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb I agree...

I agree that vinyl sounds like CRAP compared to CD's...but it's the nostalgia thing. I have tons of records and I'm proud of having so many from my younger years (I'm only 27, but music has ALWAYS been in my heart and soul)

About the guitar army..I guess I saw it as, if LB wasn't in FM, I was a lil eh about those other people. LOL I'm just a big baby..I told ya'll! I want it done MY WAY!! LMAO!! When Lindsey was on stage by himself during Center Stage doing Street of Dreams, Big Love, Go Insane, I was MESMERIZED by HIM, he was INTENSE and AMAZING. When he was doing the other songs, I was MESMERIZED....by HIM....but I realize his music needed those people to complete the songs.

You know, ME talking to YOU about self-confidence is the pot calling the kettle black. LOL I am a writer (well, not lately LOL) and I am not very confident in my abilities because I'm such a wierd, unique person and I write wierd and unique. LOL Perfectionist...like someone else we know ...hehehe

BTW, this is MY thread, so gab away about whatever, I don't care!! LOL

I bought a BN album on ebay for 25 bucks and it is in GREAT shape..gatefold TOO!! I treasure it DEEPLY!!!!

Sarah...I LOVE that part..."must be a million PEOPLE"...LOVE IT!! His voice is really cool, he does so many wierd things with it...which makes a singer unique...I'm watching American Idol and some of these chicks (and guys) think if they sing LOUD, they sing GOOD....NOT TRUE!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah.. his voice is great on this one. his different umm "vocal textures" and the way he combines his singing style with his playing style really puts him on a different level. so many artists are like, cookie cutters of themselves.. but like, think about the rumours version of Never Goin' Back Again.. the sweet guitar sound and then he uses a sweet voice.. and this quirky TBT with a strange voice.. almost all of his songs do this kind of thing. the variety is what keeps me listening, i think.. i love it when he gets all smooth, like in Soul Drifter, Street of Dreams, et. al. mmmm mmm mm. so beautiful.

i got my vinyl BN on ebay for 8 bucks.. it ended on christmas one year.. it was like, 1998. it's gatefold and completely mint. it's so sweet.. i have it in a plastic cover inside its own special box. i've never played it cuz i have a bootleg copy of it on cd.. i just wanted the real thing - just to have it.

i cant stand american idol.. i just think simon is too rude. i saw when paula got pissed at him for callin that chick fat, and i had to agree.. it was out of line. kinda turned me off, and the singers are horrible anyway.

Sarah
Old 02-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very weird yet very cool song! It's so "solo Lindsey", yea he's probably the only person on earth who could have done this song and made it sound so damn good!