Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't heard it.
I love the Mamas & the Papas. What songs of theirs did they re-make?

- Jake
Old 06-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I haven't heard it.

- Jake
I wouldn't reccommend their remakes, they might make you hate them
Old 06-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Being a singer (and someone who really LOVES vocal harmony), I've always enjoyed Wilson Phillips. They're an update of what their parents used to do, for sure... sugary pop that sounds like the time it came from. That can be said of the first two WP records; they are definitely time-stamped late-80s/early 90s. Not that that's bad... in fact, the first record was quite good and the second had a few decent songs (one in particular was an excellent pop song and a huge hit: "You Won't See My Cry").

As for the remake album, I kinda liked their take on "Already Gone," which is a good song for them vocally. "GYOW" didn't suck like people had told me, and I agree with whoever said earlier that taking chances is cool in my book. It's not FM's version, and it shouldn't be.

I'm pulling for this to be a big hit... more exposure for Lindsey and the band is a good thing. Remakes typically shed more light on the original, and on the general (and fairly infallible) truth that the original is always better.

~Jamie
Old 06-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Just watched the video...

...and it was horrifying. This was the first time I'd heard the cover of GYOW, and I was NOT impressed at all. I almost wanted to cry it was so bad. Painful to listen to and see. To their credit, they do have very nice voices.

Last edited by ryan8472; 06-02-2004 at 02:28 PM..
Old 06-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This cover is absolutely wretched. GYOW is NOT some kind of mellow ballad. This even makes the Dixie Chicks' Landslide sound good!

Old 06-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

EEK!!!

I just heard it today - way, way too slow and sugary for this song. I can't imagine LB would approve of this arrangement.

All I was thinking was that this is supposed to be an ANGRY song, dammit! Not a ballad!

What's the World Coming To?

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 06-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
All I was thinking was that this is supposed to be an ANGRY song, dammit!
Well, it's gotten some of us angry.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't honestly think anyone should attempt to do a remake of a FM song, they always seem to fall on their faces! FM cannot be copied people!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think it was awful. DIFFERENT, but not awful. I like the fact that they changed the instrumental into something 180 degrees to the right, and sang it with sadness instead of anger. I am not a big fan of their music, but it takes guts to do this. Of course it's elevator. WP has always been elevator. Could have been worse. Could have been Celine Dion (I mean, Screechine Screechon).
Funny sidenote : a friend of mine got two promotional beachballs for this record that say Wilson Phillips - California on them. They are in my pool right now. Very funny. I ought to post a photo.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdreamer
I don't honestly think anyone should attempt to do a remake of a FM song, they always seem to fall on their faces! FM cannot be copied people!

{sigh} Obviously, never heard Eva Cassidy's version of "Songbird". Or, Chaka Khan's version of "Everywhere". Or, Leo Kottke's version of "World Turning". And, Santana's cover of "Black Magic Woman" isn't too shabby, either.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...cover away folks, at least, I'LL listen with an open mind.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually heard this cover song on the radio yesterday. It was appropriately being played on a light rock station. It was one of the worst covers I've ever heard of a FM song. Right up there with Elton John's version of "Don't Stop" from the Legacy tribute album. I could barely take this marshmellowed rendition of one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest rock songs of all time. I'd give it a 1 on a scale of 10. It made more than my ears hurt, it made my whole body ache, and I don't want to hear it again, EVER!
Old 06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
Right up there with Elton John's version of "Don't Stop" from the Legacy tribute album.
Which is Grammy worthy compared to Duncan Sheik's appalling version of "Songbird". Why, oh why didn't they use Eva Cassidy's instead?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
{sigh} Obviously, never heard Eva Cassidy's version of "Songbird". Or, Chaka Khan's version of "Everywhere". Or, Leo Kottke's version of "World Turning". And, Santana's cover of "Black Magic Woman" isn't too shabby, either.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...cover away folks, at least, I'LL listen with an open mind.
I've heard several remakes, and most of them verily do the originals justice, just because I don't like the covers doesn't mean I don't have an open mind, just differ tastes.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I haven't heard it.

- Jake

"Monday Monday."

They also did the Beach Boys' "Dance Dance Dance" and "In My Room" (the latter with Brian Wilson on piano and vocals).

None of these tracks blew me away -- very disappointed with this CD.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
I actually heard this cover song on the radio yesterday. It was appropriately being played on a light rock station. It was one of the worst covers I've ever heard of a FM song. Right up there with Elton John's version of "Don't Stop" from the Legacy tribute album. I could barely take this marshmellowed rendition of one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest rock songs of all time. I'd give it a 1 on a scale of 10. It made more than my ears hurt, it made my whole body ache, and I don't want to hear it again, EVER!
But did you like it?

- Jake