User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Jones Beach is it for me. In all seriousness, as much as I love music, I hate the concert-going experience. Big crowds bother me, to begin with, and there's always a few jerks in the audience who detract from enjoying the show. Last time I was at Jones Beach was for ... Sade (excellent stage presence, very classy, great voice, great band. Gorgeous!) Before that, I had gone to the Colisseum for FM, after which I pretty much wrote off arena shows.

I'll take an intimate show at Irving Plaza or Roseland any day before I go to another big-venue show. I'm making the exception for Jones Beach because it's my birthday. I hope I don't end up regretting it.
Sade?!?! I am duly impressed...and JEALOUS AS HELL. I still think that instead of Macy Gray, Stevie should have paired up for Bombay Sapphires with her

You won't regret it...Red Rover itself for a hardcore Lindsey fan is worth the price of admission as is Sara. And c'mon dude, it's your birthday...live a little
Old 05-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

SOmeone on Mick's board posted that Stevie appeared at times to have what looked like cough sweets in her mouth. It does sound like she is trying to fend off something...

Pip
Old 05-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
SOmeone on Mick's board posted that Stevie appeared at times to have what looked like cough sweets in her mouth. It does sound like she is trying to fend off something...

Pip
Yeah, that was probably me. I know she had something in her mouth and because I've had bronchitus for 4 weeks (no contact with Stevie, don't blame me ) and had a cough drop in my mouth at the same time, it seemed only logical. I could be wrong. She must've gotten it down fast though, hard to sing with. EDIT: Don't me wrong, I don't want to continue the is-she-sick-or-not thing; I take cough drops merely to open up my throat. As a singer, that could be something she does on a regular basis.
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 05-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

There's an old interview out there somewhere with Stevie talking about letting little bits of cough drops dissolve on her tongue during the show to help her keep her voice going and throat opened. I don't think it's good for her, with her on again off again sickness to be playing outdoor venues anymore. JMHO.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
There's an old interview out there somewhere with Stevie talking about letting little bits of cough drops dissolve on her tongue during the show to help her keep her voice going and throat opened. I don't think it's good for her, with her on again off again sickness to be playing outdoor venues anymore. JMHO.
My sister goes to school in Raleigh and I just talked to her on the phone-- it's 102 degrees there today. It was hot in Charlotte yesterday but not nearly that hot! Stevie's in for a rough one tomorrow night.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merf
My sister goes to school in Raleigh and I just talked to her on the phone-- it's 102 degrees there today. It was hot in Charlotte yesterday but not nearly that hot! Stevie's in for a rough one tomorrow night.
It does seem like we skipped spring here in Raleigh and went straight to summer. The temp is about 88. With the humidity and whatever else they factor in, the heat index is 99 or so. It is definitely HOT, and the forecast calls for more of the same tomorrow. I can't even imagine what it will feel like on stage!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
It does seem like we skipped spring here in Raleigh and went straight to summer. The temp is about 88. With the humidity and whatever else they factor in, the heat index is 99 or so. It is definitely HOT, and the forecast calls for more of the same tomorrow. I can't even imagine what it will feel like on stage!
Poor Steves. Maybe they can modify her wardrobe a bit? No scarf and gloves? It's just going to be too hot. Maybe they'll bring out more fans to the stage. Every once in a while last night we'd get blown on by a fan and it was heavenly. It was probably 100 degrees+ where we were standing up by the stage (that was mostly because we were four deep up there-- but hey, I wasn't complaining!) After every song last night I noticed she went to Mick's drum kit and drank out of a cup. While Lindsey was doing the beginning of ISA, she went over to Brett, who stood behind her and put his hands on her shoulders and squeezed her a bit. She then began drinking out of a mug with a straw very slowly. She messed with her hair and was fanning herself. She must have been very hot. It worried me. The humidity in the southeastern US is like nowhere else

Last edited by Merf; 05-21-2004 at 01:15 PM..
Old 05-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe they'll bring out more fans to the stage.
I'll be the first to volunteer
Old 05-21-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
The humidity in the southeastern US is like nowhere else
Like nowhere else perhaps. But I can rattle off several places off the top of my head that are worse.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like nowhere else perhaps. But I can rattle off several places off the top of my head that are worse.
Jeez, Carne, always on my case!!! I have lived in the south my whole life and the humidity is pretty damn bad here! OF COURSE I understand that the humidity is worse other places, I'm not an idiot. Give me a break.

Last edited by Merf; 05-21-2004 at 02:17 PM..
Old 05-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Venues

Jones Beach is it for me. In all seriousness, as much as I love music, I hate the concert-going experience. Big crowds bother me, to begin with, and there's always a few jerks in the audience who detract from enjoying the show. Last time I was at Jones Beach was for ... Sade (excellent stage presence, very classy, great voice, great band. Gorgeous!) Before that, I had gone to the Colisseum for FM, after which I pretty much wrote off arena shows.

I'll take an intimate show at Irving Plaza or Roseland any day before I go to another big-venue show. I'm making the exception for Jones Beach because it's my birthday. I hope I don't end up regretting it.

I'm fairly new here and have been lurking for a bit. I could relate to all of your post, Carne. I thought I was the only one who just hated venues and large crowds. I'm making an exception to see the band here in Calif. the end of June. I also love music but don't enjoy the concert going experience as a rule.

Also, I saw Sade a few years back and it was one of the most relaxing and yet scintillating shows I've ever seen...and at the same huge venue I'm seeing the Mac perform! She does have a lot of class.

Just wanted to say hi, introduce myself and comment on what a great site you have here
Old 05-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I know. I hope she recovers quickly. Maybe she'll even perform Silver Springs at Jones Beach. Crossing my fingers, but not despairing it she doesn't.
Here here! Jones Beach is the only show I'm seeing this leg too (flying in from Canada with my boyfriend just for that... well, that and New York City), I hope it's back by that time, but if not the addition of Sara more than makes up for it!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:14 PM
hayley
This message has been deleted by hayley.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Ledgie

AWESOME cowboy hat pic Merf!!! altho i see this thread has already moved north.... i just had to jump in and say that it was a HOT night in Charlotte for sure... Lindsey was dripping wet by the second song, but Stevie stayed cool as a cucumber all night.. i swear i never saw the lady sweat! could have been the industrial fan vents she had blowing on her mic all night... those ribbons do look nice in a breeze... and the breeze felt soooooooooo good! she seemed a little tired when she was out of the spotlight, but she is one helluva performer when the lights are on her.. the lady has class... and man can she spin! Stevie gives everything she can every night... we are blessed by her love for all of us... blessed by her love of the music that keeps her coming back night after night to sing her heart out no matter what the consequences... i never thought i would hear Sara again... but 20-something years later, here she is... singing it to a whole new group of fans... i have not been following them around like i used to, but the vibe i got from her and Lindsey was in no way negative... they smiled at each other... leaned on eachother... danced together in circles for a long time during Tusk.. holding eachother close despite Lindsey's sweat-soaked shirt... the security in Charlotte was unbelieveably cool... cameras were everywhere and they let us go crazy! lots of people standing at the stage before the show and we stayed there all night! we had such an awesome time! it was crowded, but that's part of the fun! sharing the music with other people who love it as much as we do! the only bummer was the excess of alcohol and the loud people drinking it! i did have one crazy observation....

since i was in a non-monitor spot at Stevie's feet. people wanted to put stuff on the stage over my head ALL nite and OMFG... for the last 3 songs this chick kept yelling in my ear she wanted to get the roses off stevie's mic and stick them in her panties ... would we please help her.. like WTF???? finally i told her.. for crissakes PLEASE wait till after the show. she said "oh, i never thought of that, i'm young" and shut up... and then... after Mick's speech... when the crew came out to take the equipment away... did anyone else see this girl???? in jeans and a T-shirt.. i guess they thought she was with the crew.. OMFG... she climbed ON the stage, she stood in front of Stevie's mic and grabbed the roses... petals went flying everywhere.... she proceeded to start stuffing them down her pants! then she walked stage right... no one onstage stopped/saw her... people in the front started yelling RIBBONS!!! (not me LMFAO!!!) so she came back to center stage, and started to try and untie stuff from Stevie's mic.. at that point, one of the roadies whipped the mic away from her... and she continued to stand there.. unfreakin believable!!!!!

have fun in Raleigh!! it's going to be another HOT one!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Bah, what is wrong with these people? (The people who do the weird stuff, not the Charlottons (?))

& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 05-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Ledgie

i have no clue... it was one of the wackiest things i have ever seen the thing is, the roses she so desperately wanted, were totally crushed in her pants! and after she got away with that, she didn't know what to do... just walked back and forth on the stage.... LOLOLOL!

i had NO idea she was gonna try to do something like that... thankfully the band had already went off