Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry The Death of the Ledge? Open letter to Admins and Owner

What is happening? I am putting this here so more people see it.

Ive been coming hereon and off since I was 17, back in 1997 when The Mac came BACK from the dead. NOW things are not so good here and I can't find a Contact on the main site anymore for the owner of this site.

The Ads or Popups are out of control. it is Literally killing this board. Is it malicious spam from Asia trying to install back doors and worms on peoples computers? I am on a MAC so I am unaffected by such things, but is that really how to run a website?

For over a month I could not even get on to check this site until I installed several Popup and Ad blockers. Other people have said the same thing. Some people are willing to wait the EONS it takes to SOMETIMES get onto the site and read and post.

The traffic drop is obvious. Few new posts. Fewer people browsing.

This site is DYING. the writing is on the wall. People will go elsewhere for their NicksFix and MacAttacks. Facebook... wherever.

I have posted about the problem a couple times in other threads on Chit Chat and so far nobody seems to have addressed the problem.

Please Address this problem and save this website, the historical information and messages for FUTURE ledgies.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My best advice is to just hang in there. The new owner seems to be an anonymous source. Traffic will pick up again when Lindsey starts his tour and when FM begin the rehearsals for their upcoming world tour.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
My best advice is to just hang in there. The new owner seems to be an anonymous source. Traffic will pick up again when Lindsey starts his tour and when FM begin the rehearsals for their upcoming world tour.

I’d like to think this will be so....but I’m not sure.
I don’t long on as often...it takes too long.
Eventually I’ll cut right down till log-on speed is back to normal...
It’s too much hassle....😢😢😢😢
As you say we will look elsewhere...
Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And, it IS what it is.

Free sites like FB have taken a big toll on band sites.

So, if the new owner bought it only to sell ad space, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it(unless you want to make him an offer for the site - it might be far less than it would've been a decade ago[well, that's guaranteed]). But again, if the OWNER doesn't give AF, crying isn't going to get us anywhere....
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I thought about posting something like this several weeks ago. Traffic and posts are way down on the site. Do the moderators have any contact with the owner? The site is slowly dying.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

I fear any pick-up in traffic will be short-lived. Realistically this will be the last FM tour. I'm sure there'll be some Ledge discussion then but after that's done....

I wonder how much it costs to maintain such a site (not for profit)????

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I thought about posting something like this several weeks ago. Traffic and posts are way down on the site. Do the moderators have any contact with the owner? The site is slowly dying.
Like vivfox said, posts will become more frequent once Lindsey's and FM's tours start.

I'd hate for this site to die. I know many will be more than happy.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I wonder how much it costs to maintain such a site (not for profit)????
I was wondering the same thing, but it seems like nobody cares, so what's the point?

I'm wondering too if suscriptions will still be automatically renewed, given than nobody seems to be in charge.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Like vivfox said, posts will become more frequent once Lindsey's and FM's tours start.

I'd hate for this site to die. I know many will be more than happy.
I think you are missing the point I was making. Lack of interest has nothing to do with the number of posts going down. Its the access to the site. When I just logged in it took 1:22 for the site to load. Many don't have such patience to read and post on a site that seems to be bogged down or offline when you try to access it. It seems to be getting worse IMHO.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you are missing the point I was making. Lack of interest has nothing to do with the number of posts going down. Its the access to the site. When I just logged in it took 1:22 for the site to load. Many don't have such patience to read and post on a site that seems to be bogged down or offline when you try to access it. It seems to be getting worse IMHO.

Surely it's a bit of both though. The Ledge is never going to have the sort of active membership it may have once had due to other social media options. Interest picked up a bit at various times over the past year with various releases and tours etc. However, even then participation hasn't been great. It will pick up again over the next year when aforementioned activities take place. Traffic has, and will continue to be affected due to the load times, but even if there were no advertising at all there still wouldn't be huge numbers coming here.

(I've only been a member for a couple of years- long after its heyday). But in my opinion The Ledge has lost contributors due to;

1) Proliferation of other social media forums
2) It's not always a nice place to discuss things
3) Long load times

In that order of relevence

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not missing the point. If you have lost interest, you don't wait 1:22 for the site to load and you don't post. I can wait forever because I haven't lost interest and because I xan do other things while waiting.

But like FuzzyPlum said, many have also lost interest because they feel attacked or they feel their beloved band member is being attacked.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
...But in my opinion The Ledge has lost contributors due to;

1) Proliferation of other social media forums
2) It's not always a nice place to discuss things
3) Long load times

In that order of relevence
1. Lack of Rusty.

(slight correction)

I know Michele misses him.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let me be (even more) clear. I log into this site EVERY DAY even with the ridiculous long waits. However there are times I do give up especially on my phone. It just will not load on my phone. I have noticed that since these problems there have been a decline in posts. Many posted this months ago and they left. As someone that comes here every day I see this. There are days now with no one posting a thing. That never happened before. Usually there is at least a new thread or someone commenting on an old thread. I just don't buy the coincidence that this decline just happened the same time the site was sold and went under attack. I still come here EVERY DAY, multiple times a day. The fans here are very seasoned and better than any other site. There is not a lack of interest. There is more Mac material lately than ever. We just came off one of the biggest years eve. I have given up coming here a few times because of the wait and that is coming from someone who probably spends WAY too much time here. I don't get defensive in needing to defend the site. I also don't believe for a second there is a better Mac site out there who has better followers.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I put a free ad blocker on my computer...no problems now.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let me be (even more) clear. I log into this site EVERY DAY even with the ridiculous long waits. However there are times I do give up especially on my phone. It just will not load on my phone. I have noticed that since these problems there have been a decline in posts. Many posted this months ago and they left. As someone that comes here every day I see this. There are days now with no one posting a thing. That never happened before. Usually there is at least a new thread or someone commenting on an old thread. I just don't buy the coincidence that this decline just happened the same time the site was sold and went under attack. I still come here EVERY DAY, multiple times a day. The fans here are very seasoned and better than any other site. There is not a lack of interest. There is more Mac material lately than ever. We just came off one of the biggest years eve. I have given up coming here a few times because of the wait and that is coming from someone who probably spends WAY too much time here. I don't get defensive in needing to defend the site. I also don't believe for a second there is a better Mac site out there who has better followers.

I visit often On my iPhone as well. There were times I could not get the site to load at all. Time out errors. I finally broke down and installed a ad block and pop up blocker App and like on the desktop it solved the problem. People who are smart enough to have such Programs on their computers and iPhones will still be able to use this site but many people won’t bother coming here at all.