Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Who's so afraid of "Come"?

I'm reading more and more reviews about how lots of people leave for a bathroom break during Lindsey's performance of Come. From my perspective, that is such a hugely career-defining moment for him, and a big highlight of the show that proves that Fleetwood Mac is still a vital force to be reckoned with.

If you're a true fan of guitar rock (and appreciate all facets of the band), you realize what an amazing guitarist he is as he carries you along as the song builds and builds. It's an amazing experience if you stay with it. I've seen two concerts and both times I've been completely blown away...and have seen response of other un-initiated audience members whose jaws drop in awe of it. As he wails away I think "gee, this must have been what it was like when people saw Jimi Hendrix perform!"

Being that Fleetwood Mac's music runs the gamut of styles, some people must just assume the band will put on a generic, lightweight soft rock show appropriate for Disneyland and the masses (small children and fluffy animals). I guess these are also the same people who are also eagerly awaiting a box set from Air Supply.

Neophytes be damned. Linsdey is keeping this band relevant.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-07-2003 at 05:34 PM..
Old 10-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I enjoyed it live as well. I saw two shows on this tour, and I never left for a "bathroom break." Come, actually is quite a bizarre song. It was even more bizarre to see it live. BUT...I have to admit, it features one of the best guitar solos Lindsey has created in some time. I dig it.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At the Boston show, everyone knew the words to the song and sang along; it was quite remarkable and probably helped fuel Lindsey's fantastic mood. It seemed to go on for even longer than usual, but so did all of the songs (ISA was two or three minutes longer). Live, Come blows the album version out of the water; it really comes to life onstage. I also think it is Lindsey's shining moment during the show. Truly magical!

Old 10-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I LOVE this song live. It is one of my favorite parts of the whole concert. I was even one of the "come" girls that Lindsey points to at the Boston PBS taping.
Ok at the last few concerts that I have been to I really have to admit that I can't wait for Rhiannon to be over so that I can experience Come.
I know shame on me!!! But I am just so hooked on Lindsey and this song I can't help myself!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sorry......

"Come" is a really bad song. I don't like it at all. I've seen the Say You Will Tour four times now, and every time I just HAVE to leave during "Come".

It's just TOO much. And.... it's not good songwriting.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The problem is that people who don't know it hear a slow, new song and decide "rest time." They don't realize that if they wait a couple minutes, they will hear an AWESOME guitar solo! Well, their loss!

Old 10-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Who's so afraid of "Come"?

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
From my perspective, that is such a hugely career-defining moment for him, and a big highlight of the show that proves that Fleetwood Mac is still a vital force to be reckoned with.
Absolutely.

"Come" is Lindsey's best live performace ever. IMO, it is what Lindsey Buckingham is about: the emotion, the music, the vocals, the lyrics, the guitar....everything. The solo is just out of this world....fuelled by pure raging emotion. I reckon the Pittsburgh version is probably the definitive version of that solo, as it builds and builds, gets to that point where he sounds like he's trying to ripp the strings apart, and then explodes into the final few bars.

I would guess that the majority of the people who have been seen leaving for "toilet breaks" as "Come" starts are hardcore Stevie fans who have gone to the show specifically to see her, as opposed to Fleetwood Mac. The only show I've been to so far was the Dallas one, and what I saw there firmly supports my theory: Rhiannon finished, Stevie immediately walked off stage, then a considerable number of people started walking out of the arena (the "toilet break people"), and THEN "Come" started. i.e. it seems to me that it's the lack of Stevie's presence, as opposed to the song itself, that causes that mass of people to temporarily leave. Their loss!

Old 10-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The lyrics are pretty funny considering the subject matter. Besides that it's really agitating. Every time I've played Say You Will I've had to skip Come halfway through, just like I have with about 14 or 15 other songs on the album. I've given it a chance, it strikes me as gross.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad to see such disparate opinions and views about the song Come. It's further evidence that Lindsey has achieved what he set out to do. Instead of just putting out safe, middle-of-the-road pabulum, he's created song/performance that has resonance. You either love it or hate it! There's surely no middle of the road there. That's a sign of true art. Gotta respect the man for that.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really transcended during that song. If others don't, I don't care. It gave me the feeling that "tomorrow morning I will wake up". If the rest of the audience should have left, it wouldn't have any effect on my perception of that song. He just put me in a state of being I've never been before. Thanks for that Mr. B.

Old 10-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

The song's success can be equally blamed on Lindsey and Neale Heywood. If Neale hadn't created that riff, the song wouldn't exist. It's the musical backbone of it; the melody has just a few notes in it and wouldn't have the same impact without the riff. Of course Lindsey's perverse mind deserves plaudits as well; he made it into this huge monster.

The musical structure of the song isn't anything new. Quiet verses + loud chorus = arena rock bombast. But the musical shifts of “Come” are done extraordinarily well. It works on the “math-rock” principle of King Crimson’s “Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, Part One” and some of Slint’s pieces. But whereas Crimson and Slint have one shocked with their shifts from very repetitive quiet playing into loud passages immediately, the verses of “Come” don’t really work like that. They sound like they’re pulling you into this strange web. The verse guitar riff on the studio version is so detailed that you already get many images into your head from it. When I heard it the first time, I fell for it completely. It was just me and the headphones. Then it’s suddenly crash, boom and bang! Such a shift of atmosphere that it feels like Lindsey just hit you in the face, really hard. And then the hair-metal solo, which adds the brutality into the proceedings.

The whole thing is not supposed to be serious though. Lindsey stated that himself. I believe he’s just trying to create a caricature of a very obsessive person who can go from one extreme to another. Some lines in the song are a parody on typical macho-like behaviour. “Nobody else is doin’ it!” He might as well add: “I have the largest *bleep* in the world!”, if it already wouldn’t be obvious.

It works tremendously well live. It loses the depth of sound of the studio version and the solo isn’t such a shocking punch to your face. He replaced it with a mighty slap from ye olde Turner, which is fine with me.

Its ideas may not be original, but it still sounds contemporary, although not too much thank God. I’m sure Lindsey wanted to shake some people up with it. I agree with what PenguinHead said. If someone came to LB and said, “I kinda like ‘Come’”, I’m sure he’d be disappointed.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Re: Re: Who's so afraid of "Come"?

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
The only show I've been to so far was the Dallas one, and what I saw there firmly supports my theory: Rhiannon finished, Stevie immediately walked off stage, then a considerable number of people started walking out of the arena (the "toilet break people"), and THEN "Come" started. i.e. it seems to me that it's the lack of Stevie's presence, as opposed to the song itself, that causes that mass of people to temporarily leave. Their loss!

That was so true...Seemed like half the audience at the A.A.C. went to their proverbial "piss-breaks" during "Come"...Idiots!!!

But, still not as annoying as the "Beer-man" who hocked his wares during the Mac's set!!!!

Brian "I am surrounded by 'Frikkin' idiots" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll be quite honest here: Watching Lindsey perform "Come" has driven me to near orgasms , just by watching him.

I feel I'm transformed into another world, with just Lindsey, his guitar and me watching. No contact, nothing naughty, just watching him play that song.

The Mirage version of NTF does the same thing to me.

I can't believe people sit down for Come. People hear the unrecognizable beginning then the slow start and I see them walk off or sit down. At one show I had to sit but then people were like WOW. Seriously. They stood up in the end.

One show I was like the only one standing. I felt the connection most then. I remember very little, just him. I think I brick house could have fallen on my head and I wouldn't have known.

Its sexy, its raw and the hottest man alive is playing it. Thats all I have to say about that !
Old 10-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Who's so afraid of "Come"?

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
(small children and fluffy animals).
LMAO!!!!! That is hysterical to me!!

Quote:
Neophytes be damned. Linsdey is keeping this band relevant.
AMEN, PREACH IT!! If you wanna go to a non-rock show, I recommend Snore-A Jones or something.

Quote:
I'll be quite honest here: Watching Lindsey perform "Come" has driven me to near orgasms , just by watching him.
Girl, get outta my head!! LMAO!! Exactly...during ISA and Come, I was transfixed and acting like the crazy nutball that I am!! Screaming, jumping up and down, singing, clapping...INTENSE to say the LEAST!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 10-18-2003 at 05:48 PM..
Old 10-20-2003, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, at the Pittsburgh show it was like a hypnotized crowd being told "sit." The song no sooner started that everyone around me just sat down in near unison. I looked around and was freaked out, like "What the Hell!" I just kind of looked back and slowly and hesitantly sank into my seat. About half way through no one got up, and I said "Screw this, I'm standing!" I felt bad because the people behind me then had to stand...but that's a different story. It was just shocking how everyone thought to sit at exactly the same moment. Freaky it was...