Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dave Mason on Time and Christine

[Everything worked out for the best, man. Excerpt from Nick DeRiso interview]

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014...g-his-own-way/

NICK DERISO: Do you feel like that period has been treated unfairly by critics who focused solely on a return of Buckingham Nicks? After all, it’s a band that’s had several lineups, going back to the Peter Green days.

DAVE MASON: Oh, yeah, it’s had a number of incarnations. I could understand, from some people’s point of view, because the Rumours album obviously sold so many copies. It was so huge that that sort of overshadowed everything else. We did the album, and Warner Bros. didn’t really bother with it, frankly. So, it sort of just came out and died a death. And that was that. But we spent six or eight months making that record, on and off. It wasn’t just slapped together. The problem was that [long-time Fleetwood Mac contributor] Christine [McVie] was on the album, but she wouldn’t go on the road. That probably would have lent more credence to it. By the time we got on the road, all you had was [band founders] Mick [Fleetwood] and John McVie. So, it got to be classified as a Fleetwood Mac cover band.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Elle, I blame Mick for this tour.

Michele
Old 02-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, they were all there, and they picked a setlist that was NOT about the new Fleetwood Mac. They just played what the audience wanted to hear, except that none of the original writers-Singers were there. They should have played the TIME songs and three hits. And some solostuff from becca and dave. And then I don't mean dear mr. Fantasy. They made it a coverband themselves. Still, I enjoyed this concert better then the behind the mask tour.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His chronology is off...the album didn't come out until their 14 months tour had ENDED. They only played a couple of songs from the album during the tour. An earlier version of Dave's song "Blow By Blow" was on the Soccer Rocks The World compilation disc about a year or so before Time came out, so for a large part of the tour, that was the only "new" song that was played on tour. (Later, Bekka's "Dreamin' This Dream" replaced their cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" as their concert closer) They did Billy's "The Bigger The Love", which was on his solo album Coming Home (the 2nd time he'd recorded it; it was on an earlier album of his Gimme You) that came out a year or so before Time AND on the album that John McVie did with Lola Thomas. (I seem to recall that they also cut a version for the aborted album Another Link In The Chain)

Bottom line: There WAS no tour to promote Time.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Well, they were all there, and they picked a setlist that was NOT about the new Fleetwood Mac.
There really wasn't anything to promote, though. They only had one new song out at the time, "Blow By Blow" from "Soccer Rocks The Globe," which they DID play at the shows. I'd agree if people could have bought new material. As it was, the last time I saw that version of the band, they encored with "Dreamin' The Dream," and I was frustrated that I had to wait like two months to get it on CD.

Quote:
They just played what the audience wanted to hear, except that none of the original writers-Singers were there.
Except the Dave Mason stuff. Actually, Mike Finnigan (CSN's keyboardist and keyboardist for the Dave Mason Band) came out and sang harmonies on "We Just Disagree," which made it very close to the original. I also liked that they turned "Only You Know & I Know" into a Dave/Bekka duet. Yes, Dave has his version, but her folks also recorded it.

Quote:
They should have played the TIME songs and three hits.
Again, that album was released after they stopped touring. What would have been the point? Now, where I agree is that they should have maybe had one or two of Billy's "Behind The Mask" songs (i.e. In The Back Of My Mind and When The Sun Goes Down). But, even then, they typically only had ten to twelve songs for their sets.

Quote:
And then I don't mean dear mr. Fantasy.
Why not? He played bass on the original, and co-lead guitar on "Welcome To The Canteen." If Fleetwood Mac played Chicken Shack numbers when Christine was in the band, why not Traffic songs when Dave Mason was in the band?

Quote:
They made it a coverband themselves. Still, I enjoyed this concert better then the behind the mask tour.
And, say what you will, they were able to do it with just six people on stage. If Christine had toured, there would have been no additional musicians. When was the last time THAT happened?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
There really wasn't anything to promote, though. They only had one new song out at the time, "Blow By Blow" from "Soccer Rocks The Globe," which they DID play at the shows. I'd agree if people could have bought new material. As it was, the last time I saw that version of the band, they encored with "Dreamin' The Dream," and I was frustrated that I had to wait like two months to get it on CD.

Except the Dave Mason stuff. Actually, Mike Finnigan (CSN's keyboardist and keyboardist for the Dave Mason Band) came out and sang harmonies on "We Just Disagree," which made it very close to the original. I also liked that they turned "Only You Know & I Know" into a Dave/Bekka duet. Yes, Dave has his version, but her folks also recorded it.

Again, that album was released after they stopped touring. What would have been the point? Now, where I agree is that they should have maybe had one or two of Billy's "Behind The Mask" songs (i.e. In The Back Of My Mind and When The Sun Goes Down). But, even then, they typically only had ten to twelve songs for their sets.

Why not? He played bass on the original, and co-lead guitar on "Welcome To The Canteen." If Fleetwood Mac played Chicken Shack numbers when Christine was in the band, why not Traffic songs when Dave Mason was in the band?

And, say what you will, they were able to do it with just six people on stage. If Christine had toured, there would have been no additional musicians. When was the last time THAT happened?
All true, dude. But if you embark on a Fleetwood Mac tour with a whole new line-up, and you basicly play rumours, combined with old stuff from other bands that you played in, you simply cannot complain if it is interpreted as a coverband.

That was my whole point.

And in the core, musically, FM's last tour was with 5 musicians on stage and Stevie. Ok there are some backing vocalists, but in the Time band there already were 4 voices on stage. It's not THAT huge difference.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The fact remains......Christine didn't want anything to do with Dave.....she didn't want him in the band, she didn't want him on her tracks, and she didn't want to be on stage with him...period.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
The fact remains......Christine didn't want anything to do with Dave.....she didn't want him in the band, she didn't want him on her tracks, and she didn't want to be on stage with him...period.
And of course, there's that little fact that she retired from the road in 1990.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
And of course, there's that little fact that she retired from the road in 1990.
She barely did the Dance... 40 dates and done..
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She barely did the Dance... 40 dates and done..
I always took her participation on that tour as her way of going out on top.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I always took her participation on that tour as her way of going out on top.
I'd have to agree. And if she hadn't left when she did, we wouldn't be getting her back now. She would have really burned out.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All true, dude. But if you embark on a Fleetwood Mac tour with a whole new line-up, and you basicly play rumours, combined with old stuff from other bands that you played in, you simply cannot complain if it is interpreted as a coverband.
OTOH, on the Don Kirshner Rock Concert in 1974, they did five songs, and three were Peter Green songs. Granted, that was when they were trying to reestablish that they were Fleetwood Mac, but nobody has ever said that they came off as a cover band.

I don't disagree that they relied too heavily on the classic material, but without any new material, again, I don't really see the point in playing new material. I would be curious how the setlist would have changed had they toured.

Quote:
And in the core, musically, FM's last tour was with 5 musicians on stage and Stevie. Ok there are some backing vocalists, but in the Time band there already were 4 voices on stage. It's not THAT huge difference.
Well, there's also an extra drummer, usually behind Lindsey's amps, and there are canned harmonies and keyboards, non of which happened with the "Time" band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Any ideas why?

I remember hearing/reading that they didn't get along, but I always assumed it had something to do with creative differences that surfaced while in the studio. This comment suggests there was already bad blood...
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Still, I enjoyed this concert better then the behind the mask tour.
Really!? I thought it was kind of a sleepy set myself, at least when I saw them. It sounded like a tire whose air was slowly leaking out. Fleetwood Mac was the headliner, but was far outshone by Pat Benatar and REO Speedwagon. I'm not kidding.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why was she so vehemently against him? I thought he was an odd fit myself, but I wasn't aware of her opposition.