The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Stevie, Lindsey or Christine?? (favorite singer/songwriter)
Christine McVie 29 18.83%
Lindsey Buckingham 35 22.73%
Stevie Nicks 90 58.44%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
when her voice was hot, she couldn't be beat.

I think her voice is still hot
Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey, of course. I would consider Christine second even though I don't like most of her music. There's no denying that her songs are well written; just so damn slushy that I can barely cope with them.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
I think it's interesting how many Stevie fans feel the need to acknowledge a perceived lack of technical skill: "She's my favorite, but obviously the weakest link," "I love her, but she's wildly inconsistent." It reminds my of the favorite songwriters thread a few months ago, when Stevie was almost never mentioned without a caveat.

I always say the same thing. I for one love everything she does. Sure I like some things more than others. However, taken as a whole I am completely satisfied with her output. This reminds me of my cooking skills. I never measure, the kitchen is always a disaster when I am done, I'm usually all over the place,: but the finished product is always amazing
Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Far and away, Stevie Nicks. She doesn't have the best voice in the band, or the most technical knowledge, but that's part of her charm.
Then who has the best voice? Not Lindsey for sure. Christine has a really different vocal style, but i think that at the end of the day, Stevie's the best vocalist, though it's pretty amazing to have three good singers in one band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windbecame View Post
i like the girl...(stevie) not the snobby guy...or the other guy..???? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
I think it's interesting how many Stevie fans feel the need to acknowledge a perceived lack of technical skill: "She's my favorite, but obviously the weakest link," "I love her, but she's wildly inconsistent." It reminds my of the favorite songwriters thread a few months ago, when Stevie was almost never mentioned without a caveat.

Chiffonheads may be the loudest and most active group here, but we're also strangely skeptical of our queen. No need to be ashamed of Stevie's place in our wild hearts! Consider her material within Fleetwood Mac 1975-83, and try to tell me she's a weak link.
Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Lindsey, of course. I would consider Christine second even though I don't like most of her music. There's no denying that her songs are well written; just so damn slushy that I can barely cope with them.
You obviously love Lindsey but how can you say Christine's the second if you don't like her songs and your user name is Silver Springs?

I'm NOT ashamed to say that Stevie's my favorite. I might slighty prefer Lindsey's solo work in terms of quality, as a whole, but, you know, Bella Donna (+ In your Dreams) > All of Lindsey's albums to me. I'm not familiar with Christine's solo work but i really have to give it a try. Oddly, i always prefered Christine with other configurations of Fleetwood Mac than with the Rumours era members.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post

You obviously love Lindsey but how can you say Christine's the second if you don't like her songs and your user name is Silver Springs?

I'm NOT ashamed to say that Stevie's my favorite. I might slighty prefer Lindsey's solo work in terms of quality, as a whole, but, you know, Bella Donna (+ In your Dreams) > All of Lindsey's albums to me. I'm not familiar with Christine's solo work but i really have to give it a try. Oddly, i always prefered Christine with other configurations of Fleetwood Mac than with the Rumours era members.
Because I don't have to like the music to appreciate her talent. And Silver Springs, just because it's my favourite Fleetwood Mac song, doesn't quite propel Stevie into the heights enough for me to put her in second place. Because there's too many of her songs that make me cringe lyrically. Christine's make me cringe because of the slushy music, but the lyrics I can enjoy.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't choose one over the other. I like all of their work for different reasons.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Because I don't have to like the music to appreciate her talent. And Silver Springs, just because it's my favourite Fleetwood Mac song, doesn't quite propel Stevie into the heights enough for me to put her in second place. Because there's too many of her songs that make me cringe lyrically. Christine's make me cringe because of the slushy music, but the lyrics I can enjoy.
I actually understood your point here. Some Stevie's lyrics make me cringe too. But, since we're voting for our favorite, i choosed what i personally like over what i objectively know is excellent.
I know Lindsey's the best (since he somehow manages to amaze and touch me at the same time), but Stevie just touches me more, and that's why i love her more. I get that you both appreciate objectively Lindsey's music, and also just love him, but you very cerebraly judge your second favorite...which is not bad, since Stevie's or Chris' music don't touch you thaaaat much. Anyway i get you but i wanted to underline the different points of view of what "favorite" might or might not be.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
I actually understood your point here. Some Stevie's lyrics make me cringe too. But, since we're voting for our favorite, i choosed what i personally like over what i objectively know is excellent.
So did I. Thus why I voted for Lindsey.... Was only giving my opinion
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Can't choose one over the other. I like all of their work for different reasons.
yeah, not surprised - i was curious whether you would be able to pick. i'd love it if you try'd anyway, i have a specific idea in mind with collecting these numbers.

everybody else who's complaining against polling while clearly having a favorite i'll just count for SN. how hard is it to check the box, people?!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windbecame View Post
i like the girl...(stevie) not the snobby guy...or the other guy..???? LOL
thanks for voting!

sorry, dense here... huh??
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Regarding my favorite? That's kinda complex. Christine is probably the highest quality of the group, and Lindsey is probably the most talented in the technical sense. Stevie is without a doubt the weakest link, the most erratic & irregular, yet she'll always be my emotional fav of the lot.
For someone who claims that Stevie is his favorite, you sure do have a lot of criticisms about her, and rather consistently. Chris is the "highest quality" of the group? What does that mean, exactly? Also, I don't see how Stevie is a weak link. She's definitely the most successful and popular in the band (for example, she's winning this poll) and yes, success is relative, but she has to be doing something right to have garnered such a strong and faithful fanbase for all these years. I also think she's a very strong link in the band, as a songwriter, singer and frontwoman. I think Stevie, Lindsey and Chris are all strong links in the band and contribute greatly in their own ways. Without them, FM would be remembered in history as that great British Blues band from the 60's.

Also, what do you mean by "emotional fave?" Does that mean you mostly just like her and not her music? I don't get it.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
For someone who claims that Stevie is his favorite, you sure do have a lot of criticisms about her, and rather consistently.
I always considered a true fandom to be not only an acceptance of the positive aspects, but a complete understanding of the flaws too. Otherwise you're not seeing the full picture. Just a delusion you've created for yourself because you refuse to believe that your "idol" is fallible.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always considered a true fandom to be not only an acceptance of the positive aspects, but a complete understanding of the flaws too. Otherwise you're not seeing the full picture. Just a delusion you've created for yourself because you refuse to believe that your "idol" is fallible.
Yeah, I agree. Trust me, I'm not one of those fans that thinks she can do no wrong and I don't agree with everything she puts out, says or does. What I'm referring to is consistently criticizing an artist that is supposedly a favorite. That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True. I love Stevie because of the things that drive me nuts about her. It's as humorous to me as it is annoying and I dare say increases the entertainment factor by a huge percent.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah, not surprised - i was curious whether you would be able to pick. i'd love it if you try'd anyway, i have a specific idea in mind with collecting these numbers.

everybody else who's complaining against polling while clearly having a favorite i'll just count for SN. how hard is it to check the box, people?!
I don't know....

I can't choose between SnL and that leaves Christine...and while she wins on a technical point of view, it would still be dishonest for her to get my vote on a technicality. I could probably choose based on who has more songs I like/love...

Last edited by CADreaming; 03-09-2012 at 10:14 AM..