User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Nice conspiracy theory. I don't believe a word of it. It's crazy talk.
maybe if they were any good with their PR, but we know they are horrible.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Bear with me for a moment. I think the biggest FLEETWOOD MAC TRICK of all is the departure of Christine McVie and the speculation of what will be her subsequent "return" to the band in 2014.
Allow me to be clear, I have no doubt that Chris left in 1998 solely because she was tired of the endless road of touring. Yes, I can even buy the fact that, for a few minutes, she wanted to live a "quiet English country life".
Except that Christine retired from the road in late 1990. The earliest article I could find that mentioned the English Manor was from October, 1992. Then, she basically left the band once "Time" was finished (just look at the lyrics to "Hollywood" and "All Over Again"). She was done then. She probably only agreed to do "The Dance" just as a nice way to go out on top, especially after "Behind The Mask" and "Time."

Quote:
However, I am starting to suspect that the band has been discussing her eventual "return" for well over 5 years now.This has been a calculated and shrewd business move. The band knows that they stand to make millions for a "reunion" tour with ALL 5 MEMBERS from the Rumours band.
Okay, then, explain this to me: How would they have benefitted by delaying Christine's return? What would have been the point? They could have done the big reunion tour, an album, and maybe another tour by now.

Quote:
I think they have been teasing us for longer than we know; first by talking to the press stating that Christine is "DONE", then throwing bait into the water to keep us on the edge of our seat. Touring in 2009 and 2013 without her contributes to the BUILD UP of "THE RETURN" of our songbird.
In 2004, when asked about playing live or touring on that VH-1 interview, she looked like she wanted to puke at the suggestion. The candid photos of her from 2010 didn't look like somebody all too concerned about being a rock star. In fact, the first indication that she might be remotely interested in returning to music (not necessarily Fleetwood Mac) was two years ago, when she told Ken Caillat that his book brought her passion back for the music. It appears to have been baby steps ever since. So, sorry, this theory doesn't hold water.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 PM
MikeInNV
This message has been deleted by MikeInNV.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Touring in 2009 and 2013 without her contributes to the BUILD UP of "THE RETURN" of our songbird. [/B]
If anything, the 2013 tour hurt the big comeback by giving casual fans their fill of Fleetwood Mac for a few years. If there had been any planning at all, last year's tour (and EP) would have included Christine. This is one (but not the only) reason why I think people are overestimating the band's ability to draw larger crowds and bigger paychecks as the five fireflies.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
If anything, the 2013 tour hurt the big comeback by giving casual fans their fill of Fleetwood Mac for a few years. If there had been any planning at all, last year's tour (and EP) would have included Christine. This is one (but not the only) reason why I think people are overestimating the band's ability to draw larger crowds and bigger paychecks as the five fireflies.
same here Mike, completely agree with you. although i guess hard to predict, if slanted right.

how did Beach Boys reunion tour go saleswise, couple of years ago?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Okay, then, explain this to me: How would they have benefitted by delaying Christine's return? What would have been the point? They could have done the big reunion tour, an album, and maybe another tour by now.
Inferred Conversation Between Christine and Mick (circa 2008 or 2011)

Christine: Mick, I'm getting somewhat tired of the English Rose Country Life. I may a be little rusty, but I would love to play live again.

Mick: Great !! When can you start, love? I'm on speed dial with the promoters right now ! We're gonna make a gazillion dollars when this news goes to press! I'm thinking a large scale world tour that will go on at least a year and a half. We'll play all dates in the U.S. at least twice, Europe, Australia and Asia.

Christine: Well, hold on just a minute, I didn't say on that grand of a scale. I'm just getting used to my Xanax prescription for fear of flying. I might be hooked by the time the tour ends. Why don't you guys hit the road without me for a spell, make a few million, throw the punters a bone or two, drop some hints, and I'll be in for the next go round. I can't promise you that I'll tour FOREVER, but I'm in for ONE MEDIUM LENGTH TOUR.

Lindsey: "SHE CAN'T JUST COME AND GO !!" (was actually stated by him)

Mick: Oh, you mean we can tour back to back....make twice the money in half the time?? Interesting, I never liked taking 5 year breaks between tours.

Narrator: Do you think all those "casual fans" who already bought tickets to the 2013 tour would SIT OUT a chance to see the return of Christine ?!?! I think not. The "Chris Reunion Tour" will outsell anything they've done in the past 10 years. They know Chris' shelf life is not to continue touring forever, they've got one shot with her. It's like using your chips in a poker game.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Christine: Mick, I'm getting somewhat tired of the English Rose Country Life. I may a be little rusty, but I would love to play live again.

Mick: Great !! When can you start, love? I'm on speed dial with the promoters right now ! We're gonna make a gazillion dollars when this news goes to press! I'm thinking a large scale world tour that will go on at least a year and a half. We'll play all dates in the U.S. at least twice, Europe, Australia and Asia.

Christine: Well, hold on just a minute, I didn't say on that grand of a scale. I'm just getting used to my Xanax prescription for fear of flying. I might be hooked by the time the tour ends. Why don't you guys hit the road without me for a spell, make a few million, throw the punters a bone or two, drop some hints, and I'll be in for the next go round. I can't promise you that I'll tour FOREVER, but I'm in for ONE MEDIUM LENGTH TOUR.

Mick: Oh, you mean we can tour back to back....make twice the money in half the time?? Interesting, I never liked taking 5 year breaks between tours.

Narrator: Do you think all those "casual fans" who already bought tickets to the 2013 tour would SIT OUT a chance to see the return of Christine ?!?! I think not. The "Chris Reunion Tour" will outsell anything they've done in the past 10 years. They know Chris' shelf life is not to continue touring forever, they've got one shot with her. It's like using your chips in a poker game.
Yes, I think "casual" fans would very likely sit out the next tour if they went to the last one. As a hardcore fan I sat out both 2009 and 2013 after having seen them in 2004. I would've gone last year if I could've found a cheap enough ticket, but nay. However, I wouldn't miss the reunion tour if they come within a reasonable distance.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Storms

You can hear thunder at the very end of storms just before it fades out.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Nah. I think that she realized just how unhappy she was after reading Ken's book. It wasn't until Fleetwood Mac was definitely going to be getting back together that she reached out to Mick (who comically misread her intentions at that point). She knew she could hang out with Mick and John in Hawaii, away from the pressures of the music business, and could hang out with Stevie and Lindsey in L.A. during their rehearsals. Beyond that, I doubt she had any real intention of playing live or even rejoining Fleetwood Mac.

I'm guessing she jammed a little with Mick's band when they were practicing for their show, and she decided afterwards that she might want to at least try playing live. So she did and enjoyed it more than she thought she would, and then, in L.A., after hanging out with everybody and having a good time, offered to do the London shows. Apparently, she was on the road with them for the European leg, enjoyed being on the road, realized that she wanted back, and expressed interest in returning full-time to everybody. The only two snags were John's cancer and the fact they were contracted to do a few more shows in which she was not (hence Lindsey's reluctance to have her back AT THAT POINT).

I really think it's THAT simple.

Quote:
More in reference to her making cameos with them throughout Europe, since she was pretty much on the road with them for the duration of that leg of the tour. (Whether she was just testing the waters of being on the road or was concerned about John really doesn't matter. She clearly had fun with it, and wanted back.) She wanted to do more, but wasn't under contract to play with the band. Lindsey, according to Christine, felt that wouldn't be fair to the promoters (i.e. why is she playing Dublin and London, but not Paris).

Quote:
Mick would be on the road or in the studio non-stop with Fleetwood Mac if they'd let him.

Quote:
We don't know that. For all we know, she'll love being on the road, and that if/when Stevie and Lindsey resume their solo careers, she'll go on the road with Mick and Rick Vito.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 02-20-2014 at 02:30 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Fm started doing it in November 75 idk if it was written before that.
No, it was written AFTER they started playing it live.

First time I was in the audience when they played it in concert was Thanksgiving night 1975 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Lindsey even introduced it as being "their first public performance of our new song...we haven't titled it yet".

HAVEN'T TITLED IT YET??? WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO CALL THE SONG?? DUH!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Another Rainy Day

You Can Roll Like Thunder

Michele
Old 02-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Another Rainy Day

You Can Roll Like Thunder
Shackin' Up(That would have really pissed her off)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is an early version of Go Your Own way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSbFyfjfE4
Old 02-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Here is an early version of Go Your Own way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSbFyfjfE4
Is that the same version that was posted earlier in this thread?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just came across this old 2003 article in Am. Songwriter-

Lindsey Re: Go Your Own Way-
"That came very quickly. I remember sitting down and putting that together when we were taking a break in Florida. We rented a house to start rehearsing before Rumours, and it was an immediate song. It was a very present thing in terms of the response it got from the band. The drum beat that Mick did in the verse was actually his version of trying to do something that I asked him to do that he couldn't do. What he did was better. I'd been listening to "Street Fighting Man," and Charlie Watts does this kind of offbeat rhythm. Mick, either he didn't want to do that or he couldn't get it, so he came up with his own version."