The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anoro commercial + Go your own way = Major Cringefactor!

Has anyone seen it? How could they have sold their song to a commercial for COPD medication? SO BAD.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wqcE/anoro-i-have-copd
Old 07-11-2017, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe the decision rests with whoever owns the rights to the song, in this case the songwriter......ie Lindsey. Guess 3 kids and a wife are expensive to maintain........
Old 07-11-2017, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Has anyone seen it? How could they have sold their song to a commercial for COPD medication? SO BAD.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wqcE/anoro-i-have-copd
You don't think people with COPD shouldn't get help. heartless and in case you have not noticed Fleetwood Mac are money grubbing harlots otherwise La Nicks would not still be in the band and they would have had the cojones to call their new album Fleetwood Mac.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
You don't think people with COPD shouldn't get help. heartless and in case you have not noticed Fleetwood Mac are money grubbing harlots otherwise La Nicks would not still be in the band and they would have had the cojones to call their new album Fleetwood Mac.
But how do you really feel about it?

They are all money whores! They'd can her ass in a NY minute if it weren't for the money.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That cover is HORRENDOUS!
Old 07-11-2017, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Where on earth did you get from reading my post that I don't think people with COPD should get help? This has to do with a classic Fleetwood Mac songbeing sold to a medical commercial. It's an awful cover of the song that could ruin it's legacy. Yes I realize they are moneygrubbing whores, but even they should have limits! I can't imagine anybody on YouTube will be going to search for the song and leave the comment " I came here because of the COPD commercial, I just love this song"

Last edited by secondhandchain; 07-11-2017 at 01:52 AM..
Old 07-11-2017, 05:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At least it isn't for incontinance. "You can GO your own way"
Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Song Rights

I believe Lindsey sold the controlling rights to his songs a few years ago (although he retained approximately 50% of the proceeds).
Old 07-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't Christine sell her catalog years ago as well? One thing I'll say about Stevie is that she has held tight to her songs. That is why she was able to pimp out Landslide to Budweiser for $750,000 a couple years back.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Didn't Christine sell her catalog years ago as well? One thing I'll say about Stevie is that she has held tight to her songs. That is why she was able to pimp out Landslide to Budweiser for $750,000 a couple years back.
Yes, years ago. I believe it was for 34 million.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is cringe-worthy.

But here is what most likely happened:

To get a master (composition) and sync (recording) license to use a song in a commercial, you have to obtain permission from both the writer and the publisher of the song.

In this case, Lindsey is the writer, and he clearly turned down the request.
So the company who made the commercial went to the publisher, and permission for use and (ultimately the license) was granted. But since the writer refused to grant permission, the publisher's only option was to offer the composition ONLY. Their only choice was to get an inexpensive cover recorded or pick a different song for the commercial.

Lindsey obviously sold publishing rights to Go Your Own Way, or he was never a publishing owner - or he was a partial owner and therefore only has partial say in granting permission.

Rights to a song is always owned 50% by a publisher and 50% by the writer(s).
(The performer often has little to no say in permissions and rarely makes much in the way of royalties).

It was very common up until very recently for artists to not own the publishing rights to their songs. The trade off was that it gave publisher's more incentive to get the song out there as much as they could in the way of exposure -- radio, TV, film, etc.

For a very long time Fleetwood Mac refused to grant the rights for any use of any song in film, TV or advertising. But some members switched gears in the late 90's and sold publishing rights to some, but not all of their songs.

I work with a lot of music supervisors, so that's why I'm chiming in.

I wouldn't look at this as a lapse in judgement or taste on Lindsey's part. He most likely has no say on what is licensed for the composition only for Go Your Own Way.

It's a low budget commercial and probably web only (not for broadcast -- or for low budget cable runs), so I doubt much money was made at all from the cover. Maybe a few thousand bucks tops.
The publisher probably made more -- but certainly not enough to put any kid through college.

All of this is worked out through PRO's (Publishing Rights Organizations) - like BMI, ASCAP, etc.

Last edited by dontlookdown; 07-11-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Old 07-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a document saved on my computer, where Bob Welch described the above process, too. I asked him after Sentimental Lady was used in a commercial.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, this might seem naive or glass half full/optimistic but here's my take on the whole "money grab" narrative:

Nobody in this band needs money and hasn't for a long time. They have a lot of people who work for them, especially when they are touring -- and those people depend on salaries to support themselves and their families.

When you find something you love to do and that's how you make a living for decades, it becomes your identity. When you're not doing it, things can feel pretty empty and depressing depending on the kind of person you are. For some artists, it's all they know and even if they desire to do something else, often they can't.

Stevie Nicks has called herself a "road dog". She loves touring much in the same way that Bob Dylan does. It's what gets them through.
Sure, it's nice to know that you're raking in the dough, but at this point - whatever profit Fleetwood Mac is making from touring probably doesn't make much difference to them on top of what they already have in their bank accounts.
They wouldn't be doing it if they didn't love to sing and play together.
I'm sure this wasn't the case in 1997, but it certainly is now.

The money whore narrative provides a lot of good fodder for social media and fan blogs, but I'm not convinced it's what motivates this particular band.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
At least it isn't for incontinance. "You can GO your own way"
Now that's funny!

The only other song that might've worked would have been Big Love- with the grunts!
Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd forgotten about that ad. It was incredibly well made and effective.