The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

I didn't know that this was originally a Buckingham Nicks song...anywhere you can dl it or something?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
I've gotta go with the version from Buckingham Nicks.
It's the one I first listened to and fell in love with.

The others are distant, imo.
BN is my favorite version too! FM coming in 2nd but I still like Stevies practical magic version too. Just not quite as much as thoes.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
I didn't know that this was originally a Buckingham Nicks song...anywhere you can dl it or something?

BuckinghamNicks.net. Your source for all things BN related!

Crystal (the way it was meant to be)... enjoy!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
My assumption is they didn't know if she'd work out and wanted to use her sparingly. Prior to her involvement in the band, most new members were given just one, usually two songs to prove themselves. Buckingham was used a lot on the White album, even though he wrote the least amount of songs. My sense is Fleetwood and the McVies wanted a male singer in the foreground, given the band's history as a blues-rock group that toured alongside Deep Purple and Savoy Brown.
This is the BEST explanation I've ever heard and probably the correct one as well. I always assumed it was because Stevie didn't play an instrument.(Yes I know she plays piano and guitar and I know there is a pic of her playing guitar onstage in an early tourbook) But generally besides percussion instruments she's just a singer not a player. And just for the record, players only love you when they're playing.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
BuckinghamNicks.net. Your source for all things BN related!

Crystal (the way it was meant to be)... enjoy!
Who's playing oboe?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Who's playing oboe?
Obie juan kanobie.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Don't know if you're in the minority... but I couldn't disagree more... To me, when LB sings on her tunes magic happens... He saved When I See you Again, he makes SOTM even more special when he sings his line, and him singing this song for her was something I'm guessing she wanted.

Although I always did wonder why she got the short end of the stick on the White album. Especially because McVie/Buckingham did a tune together... In my opinion, Rhiannon, Crystal are some of her best work...
Oh, I agree 100% that when the two writers share vocals, that real magic happens. When I See You Again is only redeemed by Lindsey's vocals in my opinion. But there is a big difference in Lindsey singing ON Stevie's songs, and Lindsey SINGING her songs. I just think Stevie should have sang Crystal on the White Album, perhaps with Lindsey doing a call and answer verse or something.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
My assumption is they didn't know if she'd work out and wanted to use her sparingly. Prior to her involvement in the band, most new members were given just one, usually two songs to prove themselves. Buckingham was used a lot on the White album, even though he wrote the least amount of songs. My sense is Fleetwood and the McVies wanted a male singer in the foreground, given the band's history as a blues-rock group that toured alongside Deep Purple and Savoy Brown.
Then why did the exact same thing happen on Rumours (two lead vocals and three songs), after she established herself as a successful songwriter in the band? And then again on Tusk, where she got five songs on a double album where the others got many more, and then the same thing for Mirage, and of course, on Tango. ????
Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Oh, I agree 100% that when the two writers share vocals, that real magic happens. When I See You Again is only redeemed by Lindsey's vocals in my opinion. But there is a big difference in Lindsey singing ON Stevie's songs, and Lindsey SINGING her songs. I just think Stevie should have sang Crystal on the White Album, perhaps with Lindsey doing a call and answer verse or something.
I'll only agree with you if she sings it like she sang Landslide in a very legato form with perfect phrasing.... The only version of Landslide I like is the white album version... every other version, including other bands, falls way short of the pristine quality of the white album...

Having said that...I really think Lindsey gives Crystal justice as he does I Don't Wanna Know, Don't Stop, Hold Me, Think About Me, Mystified.. I know it's a duel vocals... but his voice stands out quite a bit on IDWK.. I have to go back and listen to PMagic version... it's been a while... but I remember going... ehhhh

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 09-03-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
Then why did the exact same thing happen on Rumours (two lead vocals and three songs), after she established herself as a successful songwriter in the band? And then again on Tusk, where she got five songs on a double album where the others got many more, and then the same thing for Mirage, and of course, on Tango. ????
I get your point but disagree that Tusk should be considered because the songs Stevie got on Tusk actually take up the same running time as Lindsey's so it's a fair enough balance (about 26 minutes each).

On Tusk, Lindsey had lots of short blasts and Stevie had some longer, more meandering tunes. If Stevie had as many songs as Lindsey then they'd have had to make it a triple album or cut some of Lindsey's and Christine's stuff and the Stevie get a disproportionately large percentage of the running time of the album. The real loser of Tusk is Christine. She has one song more than Stevie, but six minutes less in the total time (about 20 minutes) and one of her songs is sung by Lindsey so in a 70+ minute album she only gets about 17 minutes of lead singing.

As for Tango, I always assumed it was because she wasn't that involved :shrug;
Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Obie juan kanobie.
That's right. Lindsey, as always....
Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I get your point but disagree that Tusk should be considered because the songs Stevie got on Tusk actually take up the same running time as Lindsey's so it's a fair enough balance (about 26 minutes each).

On Tusk, Lindsey had lots of short blasts and Stevie had some longer, more meandering tunes. If Stevie had as many songs as Lindsey then they'd have had to make it a triple album or cut some of Lindsey's and Christine's stuff and the Stevie get a disproportionately large percentage of the running time of the album. The real loser of Tusk is Christine. She has one song more than Stevie, but six minutes less in the total time (about 20 minutes) and one of her songs is sung by Lindsey so in a 70+ minute album she only gets about 17 minutes of lead singing.

As for Tango, I always assumed it was because she wasn't that involved :shrug;
You are so right! I should have thought about the running times of each song. Thanks for pointing that out and setting me straight!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the white album version best