The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What Happened to Re-release of Rumours...

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I scrolled through the topics and did not see a mention.
So does anyone know what happened to the re-release of Rumours w/ extras that was suppose to coincide with the Unleased tour?????
They were hyping it it for months in the tour press releases this Spring...and now nothing!!!!!!
Does anyone know what's going on with this, has it been abandoned? Not that I'm excited about another release of Rumours, but I was looking forward to the extra tracks and other goodies that was promised.
Hmmmmm, would this band get it together.....All these problems began (way back when) they all decided to go with their own lawyers and managers, essentially ending FM as a cohesive band forevermore. Such a shame
Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They're all just silly dreamers...and silly dreams are super sketch.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This has been discussed a few times. I'm sure it's still happening, they're just beeing dumbasses and incredibly lazy to not have it out by now, especially after they've hyped it so much.

Yes, I know there will have been legal concerns and rights to clear etc but come on, that can only take so long. At the end of the day the band can put its collective foot down and say "damn it, it's coming out". It's Rumours for God sake and they're successful enough (especially in relation to that album) to have some control over its re-release by now. They are not kids at the start of their careers who are at the beck and call of the record company.

I'm not naive as to how much power lawyers and record companies can hold in relation to things like this but it's absolutely ridiculous. Another example of the Mac not bothering to sort things out. For God sake, they barely even manage to get a webiste up and running, and even that was ridiculously late.

Rant, rant, rant!! Sorry, but the delay over this is really annoying me. As fans I think we deserve a Hell of a lot better.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Registered

Default Neil Young connection?

I've been wondering if the label is tinkering with the idea of releasing
varied/various purchasing options for consumers to choose from with the 'Rumours' re-release to extract the most money possible from us

Last month, I was researching the various (3, it seems) release formats of the Neil Young box set, which seem to range from about $100, then $249 and finally a list of $349.99 for BluRay- i believe the cheapest has just audio cds; the mid-range contains cds and dvds, and the deee-lux comes with a poster and other artifacts; maybe a tshirt, along with free bonus updates to your computer should any new vault stuff be uncovered after the purchase. The customer comments/reviews on amazon.com are quite interesting because mainly you have most people kvetching about the pricing, and then the few die-hards who leave comments like 'it's worth every cent to buy it in each format'.
I think if the label is taking this kind of leap into mega-pricing with Neil Young, they may very well be thinking of the same thing with the Rumours re-release, and then there'd be not just one person (Neil) to ok it, but five, as Christine likely has to 'ok' everything along with the 4 'gypsys that remain' in Fleetwood Mac. That's a lot of strong personalities and opinions...
It got too confusing for me with Neil Young, so I forgot about purchasing the box set, for now. I just know when/if the 'Rumours' set comes out, I do want the most super-deluxe package going and seeing how Reprise/Warner Brothers are basically extensions of the same company, maybe the strategists and marketing department are monitoring what's selling with Neil's release to maximize profits for the 'Rumours' reissue. Maybe?
(Or, could it be that Mick, John, Stevie and Lindsey want to be out of the country on tour when it's revealed its gonna cost $199.99 (?) if ya choose the package with all the bells and whistles, which is what I know I want!

Last edited by Nikolaj; 08-20-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I've been wondering if the label is tinkering with the idea of releasing
varied/various purchasing options for consumers to choose from with the 'Rumours' re-release to extract the most money possible from us

Last month, I was researching the various (3 or 4) release formats of the Neil Young box set, which seem to range from about $40 to $300ish for BluRay- i believe the cheapest has just audio cds; the mid-range contains cds and dvds, and the deee-lux comes with a poster and other artifacts; maybe a tshirt, along with free bonus updates to your computer should any new vault stuff be uncovered after the purchase. The customer comments/reviews on amazon.com are quite interesting because mainly you have most people kvetching about the pricing, and then the few die-hards who leave comments like 'it's worth every cent to buy it in each format'.
I think if the label is taking this kind of leap into mega-pricing with Neil Young, they may very well be thinking of the same thing with the Rumours re-release, and then there'd be not just one person (Neil) to ok it, but five, as Christine likely has to 'ok' everything along with the 4 'gypsys that remain' in Fleetwood Mac. That's a lot of strong personalities and opinions...
It got too confusing for me with Neil Young, so I forgot about purchasing the box set, for now. I just know when/if the 'Rumours' set comes out, I do want the most super-deluxe package going and seeing how Reprise/Warner Brothers are basically extensions of the same company, maybe the strategists and marketing department are monitoring what's selling with Neil's release to maximize profits for the 'Rumours' reissue. Maybe?
(Or, could it be that Mick, John, Stevie and Lindsey want to be out of the country on tour when it's revealed its gonna cost $199.99 (?) if ya choose the package with all the bells and whistles, which is what I know I want!
Obviously all 5 members have to ok the release, in whatever format it finally comes out. I just don't get what's taking so long. Before it was so publicly announced with a date to coincide with the tour the project must have been mooted and been in the planning stages for along time in the first place. I just don't see what reason there can possibly be for such delays. They shouldn't have frustrated fans by announcing it at all if this was going to happen - and I'm pretty sure that whatever is holding it up could have been forseen. They've all been in the business long enough. Just announce the thing when it's ready to go!

God, I hope this isn't going the same way as the Neil Youn archives. First announced 15 years ago and only released this year - and that's just volume 1!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Registered

"Obviously all 5 members have to ok the release, in whatever format it finally comes out"--

You very well may be right, that's what I thought at first, too. I was just trying to offer more than a moan about this topic that keeps coming up
The point of my total guess was that it could very well be the label tinkering with tier price structuring, monitoring how the Neil Young package is doing, and not the band at all that has caused delay. Also, it may not be as obvious as you and I thought, that Christine or any of the band has to "ok" the release. Warner Brothers owns 'Rumours', not Fleetwood Mac. Apples to oranges, but Linda Ronstadt and Cher have seen re-releases they couldn't stop because the music was owned (by Capitol and Warners, respectively), so they didn't choose to actively participate in the re-issues (no promotion, no booklet interviews, what have you) and still the cds came out.
Lindsey and Stevie DID purchase the rights to BuckinghamNicks, so that release would require their permission, they own the music. Warner Brothers owns 'Rumours'-- it will make a better package to have the cooperation of the band, but they likely couldn't stop a release of what they don't own.
Also, there were 45 US dates to try to sell-out, and if it's the case that the re-release(s) of "Rumours" may be ticketed at prices similar to the concert tickets, it could have been decided deliberately to go for the tour money first. I bet it won't be released outside of the US while Fleetwood Mac is still on tour this fall. But should it be released in the US, I assume Euro fans can always order it from amazon.com.
Cheers, thanks a lot (Dodfather, if you saw my original, unedited reply, I apologize, I got snippy. Sorry).

Last edited by Nikolaj; 08-20-2009 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Needed to be nicer
Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick loves to sell new FM material (books, dvds, albums, etc). So I think there was a definitive problem. It's already august and no announcement yet. Those releases are to support tours, like the last one. Even there'll be an european leg, it's late for the DVD. Hope to see it some day anyway.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, we'll see it. I recall there was initally talk about it being one of those exclusive Wal-Mart deals and that Azoff had been negotiating or at least hinting at FM being an artist on the list for that. KISS either just released or is releasing something through WM so... I figure they are just waiting for whatever they deem is the "right time" ... when WB decides we'll be the first to know!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Oh, we'll see it. I recall there was initally talk about it being one of those exclusive Wal-Mart deals and that Azoff had been negotiating or at least hinting at FM being an artist on the list for that. KISS either just released or is releasing something through WM so... I figure they are just waiting for whatever they deem is the "right time" ... when WB decides we'll be the first to know!
That's for their next album, if there is one, the band isn't tied to any one label for any new product releases, so Azoff could negotiate a Walmart deal for that. WB currently still has rumours in their catalog so Azoff can't take it and run it through Walmart exclusively and leave WB out of the picture and their cut of the sales...

I thought I read somewhere, maybe it was here, and maybe it was just speculation, but that there was something on it that hadn't been cleared legally or something along those lines. The band members have talked about it - Lindsey's not a fan of these types of things... Stevie said she sat by her pool or went through it and Mick said it had some interesting things on it... So it's in place and just waiting for something to happen... What that is - who friggin knows, but yeah, why even announce it if it's not 100% ready to roll!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The last thing we need is a $250 release of Rumours. How would that be plausible and/or possible? Neil Young's massive box set has no comparison to Fleetwood Mac's album.

His set is an exhaustive and comprehensive span of his whole career. Also, Neil was extremely prolific (released/live/otherwise) -- the Rumours-era band was anything but prolific. In fact, sadly, overall, their collective output pales in comparison to many still-active bands of their stature.

That they couldn't manage to time their tour with the re-release of a 32-year old album speaks volumes to the incompetence of their management. Plus the band members have their tentative heads up their asses. Essentially, their marketing skills suck big time -- old school, with no relavance to the current market/technologies. But that's no surprise; they've been consistant in that regard. So many missed opportunities.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-20-2009 at 08:10 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The last thing we need is a $250 release of Rumours.
Plus, what do people mean about "legal concerns"? How could there possibly be legal problems at this juncture? The label has already released Rumours twelve different times. Why would a thirteenth be any different?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Plus, what do people mean about "legal concerns"? How could there possibly be legal problems at this juncture? The label has already released Rumours twelve different times. Why would a thirteenth be any different?
Well, it comes from the "extras" that we were going to get with the songs, I would imagine.

Michele
Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, it comes from the "extras" that we were going to get with the songs, I would imagine.

Michele
Someone bought the rights to Mic the Screecher?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Someone bought the rights to Mic the Screecher?
No, the band still owns the audio, but the video of the stagehand trying to adjust the mic to eliminate the feedback -- well, they don't have the rights to that yet.

Michele
Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The last thing we need is a $250 release of Rumours. How would that be plausible and/or possible? Neil Young's massive box set has no comparison to Fleetwood Mac's album.

His set is an exhaustive and comprehensive span of his whole career. Also, Neil was extremely prolific (released/live/otherwise) -- the Rumours-era band was anything but prolific. In fact, sadly, overall, their collective output pales in comparison to many still-active bands of their stature.

That they couldn't manage to time their tour with the re-release of a 32-year old album speaks volumes to the incompetence of their management. Plus the band members have their tentative heads up their asses. Essentially, their marketing skills suck big time -- old school, with no relavance to the current market/technologies. But that's no surprise; they've been consistant in that regard. So many missed opportunities.
Great points....and no I don't want to pay $250.00 for only Rumours stuff.....we should get all the outtakes etc....from all the lps from the Rumours line up....plus videos/outtakes picture book...of course I"m in dream land......cause your so right about there marketing skills....heck Fmac/Stevie can't even put up half way decent web sites and 'current' & relevant too. They should be marketing there butts off esp with all they can do on the Net these days....so yes it is there loss and no one else's well expect for us 'Fans' though.......stupid.....I agree.....total missed opportunities....get your head out of the '70's.....its 2009.......stupid........
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."