User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, he will be an absolute pro, right down to the interactions with Stevie. I'm sure it will be a blast, i just see this whole exercise as taking away from Buckingham McVie.
right on.

I think he's living in this other universe right now, this other "head space" and to be yanked out of the middle of that to do these shows disrupts it for him. It's like if Stevie were to be yanked out of the joy of her current solo tour to do these band things not by her own choice but by the band's dictate--- she wouldn't be so happy either. (but to be clear she seems to have wanted to do it)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Anytime, really!

At least with you I won't have to pay shipment!
yep, I'll drive you .. hehehehe
Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
right on.

I think he's living in this other universe right now, this other "head space" and to be yanked out of the middle of that to do these shows disrupts it for him. It's like if Stevie were to be yanked out of the joy of her current solo tour to do these band things not by her own choice but by the band's dictate--- she wouldn't be so happy either. (but to be clear she seems to have wanted to do it)
She doesn't like to be bossed around by the band, we all know that.

I know what you mean, also about the classics. I know they won't disappoint me. In my case, I couldn't be happier about this mix (BuckVie + FM). I can attend two BuckVie shows and the Clasic East (and also Queen in Brooklyn) in 10 days. And then go home.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 07-13-2017 at 07:39 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, it's my first time seeing the band, so if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like for Lindsey to play "Go your Own Way", instead of, I don't know, anyone else.

For me, it's not about the event. I don't care about the rest of the bands. I'm gonna see FM.

I also found the comment a bit disrespectful. I'm happy to know they're probably gonna finance another BuckVie album with the classic series, but at least a decent show is all what I'm asking for.
Quote:
he's a professional. He's not gonna just go out there and phone it in. He and the rest are gonna give you a better than decent show. He's just saying that at this point, when it comes to feeding the creative side of his soul, these kinds of shows don't do it. (they feed the money-making side---which helps pay for the creative soul feeding side).
yes. he's no Bob Dylan, he doesn't phone in any shows. he always gives it at least 150% of what anybody else would. you'll get way more than a decent show from LB, at anytime.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, he will be an absolute pro, right down to the interactions with Stevie. I'm sure it will be a blast, i just see this whole exercise as taking away from Buckingham McVie.
haha yeah if someone is into seeing FM at the Classic becuase they are hoping for that, then who knows? considering LB is now getting to satisfy his creative side with BuckVie album and tour, and is hoping to release another solo album in short order, while SN seems to be happy doing her solo gigs, i would think they both have no reasons to ignore or be unhappy with each other, so i'd suspect they'll do at least some of the more usual interactions to satisfy their shipper audiences.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's strange that solo Stevie and Buckingham Mcvie all enjoy performing new and different songs in their respective shows yet they come together for FM and play all the same songs down to the interactions mentioned above like it's a chore. Do they realize that they're kind of in charge of their own destinies here? I haven't heard any one band member act like they're into playing the same show over and over again. They all act like someone is forcing them. Like, come on, guys, you've been doing this for how long and you can get a balance between new/different songs and the hits in your solo shows but not for the band that literally has so many hits that you can stand to drop half of them to make room for other songs???
Old 07-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
It's strange that solo Stevie and Buckingham Mcvie all enjoy performing new and different songs in their respective shows yet they come together for FM and play all the same songs down to the interactions mentioned above like it's a chore.
well, how would FM play any new songs when they didn't have any full albums since 2003 and any new songs released since 2013?

(if you recall, in 2013 they did play newly released songs - new song from Buckingham, and old newly released song from Nicks - just like they do at their solo shows.)

Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default For Guitar Players Only

http://forguitarplayersonly.com/inte...g-his-own-way/

Going His Own Way

Lindsey Buckingham talks about his collaboration with Fleetwood Mac mate Christine McVie

By Gary Graff
July 21, 2017

When Lindsey Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac — along with then-girlfriend Stevie Nicks — in 1975, nobody could have guessed it was the emergence of one of the most fascinating and adventurous musicians of the rock era. Buckingham proved his playing and singing chops and songwriting acumen early; but starting with the group’s polarizing Tusk album in 1979 he stepped out as a creative force with unique and distinctive — not to mention fearless — ambitions, taking mainstream pop music into new and challenging areas while still keeping it palatable enough for platinum sales and hit singles. Buckingham has held strong over the course of six Fleetwood Mac albums and another six solo sets, while this year he and Mac mate Christine McVie, who returned to the band in 2013 after a 15-year hiatus, joined forces for a duo project of their own (supported by the Mac rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie), with a tour to promote it as well as Mac’s two shows at the The Classic concerts in Los Angeles and New York.

FGPO: The Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie album came as something of a surprise. When you went in the studio during 2014, it was assumed they would be songs for the next Fleetwood Mac album.

Buckingham: When we went into [the studio] before the last tour I think the gesture and the impulse was more to welcome Christine back into the band in a way that wasn’t just jumping into rehearsals. I don’t think we really knew what it was going to be at that time, and I don’t think we cared. We didn’t go in saying we were making a duet album or it was any particular thing. It was more just the idea of giving her as much of a complete reorientation into our world as possible and being mindful of the fact we had these songs and we wanted to explore that dynamic again and welcome her in that way.

FGPO: So was there a “Eureka!” moment where you knew this might become what it did?

Buckingham: I think about a week or so in it was so clear to both of us that it was something that had a life of its own. If someone leaves for 15 years and comes back, I would think more often than not trying to regain that moment or that set of musical reference points or the vocabulary that you shared in a creative process might have gone away or might be hard to re-establish. But in this case, there was something about her distance from the band and coming back that was a sense of reaffirmation of her creativity. And I’d done more solo work, small-machine work, if you will, and grown in that way. The two things combined added up to an enhanced dynamic for the two of us. So I don’t think it took very long of being in the studio, even though we didn’t go in with any intention. I think we started to realize that there was something magical happening between the two of us, and you tend to get a little protective over that, you know.

FGPO: It’s always been obvious that you and Christine have had a unique chemistry. Can you even explain what it is that you two do that’s so special and unique just to the two of you?

Buckingham: Well, I think it’s a little hard to be objective about that. I mean, you could say the same thing about Fleetwood Mac; it’s a group of people that don’t necessarily all belong to the same band together on paper, if you look at the parts it doesn’t really add up, but it creates something that’s more than the sum of its parts. I remember being in rehearsals with Christine and the rest of the band before we cut that first album, and we were running down song ideas. I wasn’t even sure what my role was gonna be at that point; obviously it was kind of a lesson in adaptation for me, and maybe giving up on certain things and concentrating on other things which were maybe strengths for the good of the band. But it was so clear that right away that Christine and I had this thing. She was just really looking for direction. She was open to me taking liberties with her songs. So early on, that was probably the first thing that hit me about being in Fleetwood Mac was being extremely aware that I had something to contribute to Christine’s songs as a producer and possibly as a co-writer.

FGPO: Which had to be heady since she had been a member of this established band for a long time already and you were some young upstart.

Buckingham: [laughs] It just came from this sort of chemistry that I can’t really analyze. I think we just have this mutual respect as musicians and as artists. We’re both really grounded in our craft, and I think in the same way she’s filled in the middle ground between one pole and another pole that Stevie and I might represent, you know, on the right and the left, I think that when you make it just the two of us, it’s that thing. It sort of naturally unites.

FGPO: Is it a surprise that Christine is back in Fleetwood Mac?

Buckingham: Well, sure. For years I was telling everybody she’ll never be in the band again. She’s gone. I really believed that, that she’d burned all her bridges and needed to get out of L.A. and needed to move on from that scene. Then Christine starting having conversations with Mick expressing her want to rejoin the band, and in the interim she had reconnected with her muse and kept sending me all this stuff. It just really organically played out in a way, which seems appropriate. And if you’re talking about Fleetwood Mac having maybe one more act for this play, or whatever you want to call it, I can’t think of a better way to do it.

FGPO: Did you get to do anything guitar-wise on the album, that felt new or like something that you hadn’t been able to tap into for awhile?

Buckingham: Oh, I don’t think so. That wasn’t really so much my agenda. I think the closest thing to that is “Love Is Here to Stay,” which is based on a guitar-picking piece. But there’s not so much in that style that I’ve been trying to touch on in my solo work, like “Big Love” and some of those other ones would. And it wasn’t really something I was too worried about.

FGPO: This was more of a songwriting album, it sounds like.

Buckingham: Yeah, it is. It’s funny; I have a solo album, which is just about done and probably should be coming out at the beginning of next year, and for some reason that sort of ended up being a pop album, too. I’m not sure why. It doesn’t really have that sort of single guitar representation either, you know. So maybe I’m just going through a phase here. [laughs.]

FGPO: What were some of the best creative adventures on the album?

Buckingham: Well, there was more co-writership on this than we’d ever done before. Part of that was a function of her openness and even what you would call vulnerability of coming back into the band and coming into the creative process again. Part of it was something I think she was asking for from me, in a larger sense, than maybe she thought about doing before. Part of it was me, again, applying my own growth and perhaps even being proactive about taking, if you want to use the word, liberties. So a song like “Feel About You” had a completely different thing; it’s still basically her song, but it got completely removed from the feel and from some of the melodic applications that she had going, and enough so that that became kind of a co-writership kind of thing. That was one way in which we interacted. Another way, which was even more—sort of—by the book, was that I had had a lot of tracks that I had done by myself here at the house, in the studio, that were basically chord changes, riffs, beats — basically, like a produced track with some kind of melody played on, like, a lead guitar, and arrangements and sections.

FGPO: With a song like “Too Far Gone” it’s nice to have something on there that really kicks it more than the others.

Buckingham: Yeah, and that one does refer back to her blues roots a little bit, which was great. That and something like “Red Sun” had just these beginnings of what the melody should be or what I thought it should be, on the guitar. And then I gave those to her, and she took the ones that she felt good about and wrote lyrics and completely articulated the melody in a much more rhythmic and sophisticated way than I had done on the guitar. So that blew my mind that she was taking the basic seed of what was there for me but was enhancing it a great deal. So that was a little more by the book of two people having a little more delineated sense of coming up with a co-writership.

FGPO: It’s important that Mick and John were playing on this as well.

Buckingham: Absolutely! I mean, again, when we went in the studio that was done for a comfort level for Christine, creating the sense of family in the studio for her as part of her return. But obviously on another level, they’re just the best, you know? You couldn’t ask for a better rhythm section to play on this group of tunes, for sure. So we were very happy on a number of levels to have them there.

FGPO: Do you think you and Christine will do more shows to promote the album?

Buckingham: We certainly could end up doing another leg. There was some talk about going to Europe. Again, in the same way the albums started off as sort of a lark, we don’t have any agenda for any scenario here. I’m just thinking the shows are going to be fun no matter what we do, and we’ll see where it goes. We’re just enjoying each other’s company and enjoying revisiting our dynamic. I just think it’s such a surprisingly positive thing, this whole project coming together and the way that it did, and how it turned out. So I’m just happy with whatever happens.

FGPO: What’s on tap for Fleetwood Mac down the road? Are the Classic West and Classic East shows likely to launch something?

Buckingham: You know, I think the earliest anyone expected to be back on the road with Fleetwood Mac might’ve been spring of 2018. Stevie, my understanding is that she’s all ready. I think she’s gonna go to Australia for a couple of weeks, but my understanding is that she was ready and now, y’know, because I’ve got this solo album, I’m the one who’s holding it up. But, you know, that’s typical for us. There’s a lot of moving parts so, you know, you gotta wait for everyone to be ready.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
FGPO: What’s on tap for Fleetwood Mac down the road? Are the Classic West and Classic East shows likely to launch something?

Buckingham: You know, I think the earliest anyone expected to be back on the road with Fleetwood Mac might’ve been spring of 2018. Stevie, my understanding is that she’s all ready. I think she’s gonna go to Australia for a couple of weeks, but my understanding is that she was ready and now, y’know, because I’ve got this solo album, I’m the one who’s holding it up. But, you know, that’s typical for us. There’s a lot of moving parts so, you know, you gotta wait for everyone to be ready.
My understanding? What, they don't talk now?

Love that Stevie is the one that has to wait for Lindsey.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 07-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

All communications are done through lawyers and managers, except of course the fake (staged) hugs on stage.

Quote:
My understanding? What, they don't talk now?

Love that Stevie is the one that has to wait for Lindsey.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
All communications are done through lawyers and managers, except of course the fake (staged) hugs on stage.
You mean we don't have anymore of those Destiny Rules delicious fights?

I don't think all of those hugs are fake. Sometimes (many times) they don't even bother with it so they can't be always staged. But I agree it got worse with time and the phoniness is more evident now.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You mean we don't have anymore of those Destiny Rules delicious fights?

I don't think all of those hugs are fake. Sometimes (many times) they don't even bother with it so they can't be always staged. But I agree it got worse with time and the phoniness is more evident now.
oh that was a very tame "fight". It was a bit of an argument.... but it was nothing like the scathing personal attacks of yore. And who knows, maybe still go on--- remember, there was a very nasty back and forth between Stevie and Lindsey (at least via their camps) about the length of the SYW tour and Stevie threatened to refuse to do more than the initial contract for 40 shows, knowing that Lindsey needed to tour to make up the money he'd sacrificed in royalties for putting extra songs on the album. No video on that; but her lyrics on You May Be The One "I hear angry words/flying across the ocean/like some seabirds/never stopping/i feel my blood racing/can't believe what you are saying"

And even that doesn't come close to the Tusk fights for sure.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh that was a very tame "fight". It was a bit of an argument.... but it was nothing like the scathing personal attacks of yore. And who knows, maybe still go on--- remember, there was a very nasty back and forth between Stevie and Lindsey (at least via their camps) about the length of the SYW tour and Stevie threatened to refuse to do more than the initial contract for 40 shows, knowing that Lindsey needed to tour to make up the money he'd sacrificed in royalties for putting extra songs on the album. No video on that; but her lyrics on You May Be The One "I hear angry words/flying across the ocean/like some seabirds/never stopping/i feel my blood racing/can't believe what you are saying"

And even that doesn't come close to the Tusk fights for sure.
I knew there were disagreements about the order of the songs but I didn't know it was also about the length of the tour. Did/Do they ever agree on something? I can't understand how they manage to live together for so many years.

Funny how Stevie is all sweet in Destiny Rules about how "you guys need the money because you have family. I don't." I almost, almost believed her.

At least during Tusk there were drugs involved...
Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default another interview to go with the 2nd leg start

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/1...ime=1507657739

Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie find life outside Fleetwood Mac

SJM-L-BUCKINGHAM-1012-01
John Russo/courtesy photo

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, best known for their work with Fleetwood Mac, bring their tour to San Jose Oct. 14.

By JIM HARRINGTON | jharrington@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 10, 2017 at 9:30 am | UPDATED: October 10, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie are going their own way.

No, they haven’t left Fleetwood Mac. In fact, they plan to be back with fellow band mates Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie come spring, when rehearsals start for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame act’s next continent-hopping tour.

But for now, at least, the two singer-songwriter-instrumentalists are concentrating on their own thing and have hit the road in support of their first duo album, descriptively titled “Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie.” The two stars perform Oct. 14 at the City National Civic in San Jose.

It’s a project that, in some ways, was decades in the making, given that Buckingham says he’s felt a musical connection to McVie basically since the moment he (and his partner Nicks) joined Fleetwood Mac in 1974.

“From even before we started recording (1975’s ‘Fleetwood Mac’) album, when we went into rehearse, it was very obvious that there was a rapport that she and I had — a common ground that we had in terms of some sensibilities that maybe I didn’t so much share with Stevie,” says the Bay Area native during a recent phone interview from his home in Los Angeles. “Although, I had a very specific thing I could do for Stevie, in terms of opening up and bringing her songs to life.

“But there was obviously something I could do for Christine too, as a producer and as a conspirator in the process. That always was there.”

McVie also feels the bond.

“I just love working with him,” she says from her new home in London. “I think he brings out the best in me. And I — to some extent — bring out the best in him.”

ON SALE NOW: Longtime Fleetwood Mac members Lindsey Buckingham - Christine McVie on October 14! Get tickets: http://bit.ly/2uIv4ru
1:00 PM - Aug 18, 2017

So, what took them so long to collaborate? As Buckingham explains, there were some major obstacles during Fleetwood Mac’s wild and crazy commercial heyday of the ‘70s.

“The politics were so convoluted from the get-go. She was still married to John (McVie). Things were sort of starting to become dysfunctional all around,” says Buckingham, who was in a relationship with Nicks at the time. “I don’t know if there has ever been another band that had two separate couples in it like that. And three out of the four of those people were the writers in the group. It was certainly a musical soap opera waiting to happen.

“I just think other things always displaced any sort of idea of Christine and myself concentrating on anything (musical), just the two of us.”

With Buckingham and Nicks onboard, Fleetwood Mac would become one of the biggest rock bands of all time, in large part due to the 1977 effort “Rumors,” which has reportedly sold more than 40 million copies to date. Yet, the band also had its share of problems, as the McVies’ marriage as well as Buckingham’s relationship with Nicks fell apart.

Christine McVie left the band in 1998. When she returned to the fold at the end of 2013, however, one of the first things she did was begin working with Buckingham in the studio. It didn’t take long for them to realize that the magic still existed and that this musical rapport they shared “was better than ever,” Buckingham says.

The whole thing kind of took the two stars by surprise.

“We weren’t really thinking of making a record together,” McVie says. “It just turned out that way.”

They weren’t initially able to focus all their time on the project, since Fleetwood Mac had such a full agenda.

Reunited with McVie, the group quickly embarked on another tour, On With the Show, a mammoth 120-date trek that stretched some 14 months (in 2014-15) and took the crew all over the globe. The tour drew rave reviews from both critics and fans, who were clearly thrilled to see McVie back in the mix.

“When I kind of rejoined the band, I think it sort of rejuvenated the whole thing. I think people were just excited to see the five (of us) play again,” says McVie, who notes that things are still going well for the band. “Yeah, we’re going through a really good phase right now. And, it’s possible that won’t last forever — it can’t, you know?

“As long as we can do another couple of world tours — I definitely would think I would be too long in the tooth after that. But, still, you never know.”

Did she ever expect, way back during the crazy days of the ’70s, that Fleetwood Mac would still be around in 2017?

“Not a chance,” McVie admits. “I didn’t even think I would go back to Fleetwood Mac when I left. I thought I was retiring. I blew myself away when I decided to come back — and they wanted me back. Life’s a funny thing.”

Buckingham, of course, has done much touring outside of Fleetwood Mac. But being without the other three Mac members is still a pretty new experience for McVie.

“It was a little nerve-wracking to begin with, I suppose,” she says. “I’ve become quite easy with it now.

“We chat with each other onstage. We start the show with four kind of acoustic songs really. The backing band isn’t introduced until the fifth song.”

Besides playing tunes off the new album, the pair has also been performing a number of Fleetwood Mac favorites, such as “Tusk,” “You Make Loving Fun” and, most appropriately, “Go Your Own Way.”

“You’ve got to make everybody happy,” McVie says of playing the old hits. “I mean, if I was going to see the Stones, I would want to hear certain songs, and not have to wade through piles of new ones.”

The pair is looking forward to kicking off the second leg of their North American tour in San Jose. For Buckingham, it’s a homecoming.

“I grew up on the Peninsula in Atheron. That’s where Stevie and I met in high school,” says Buckingham, who attended Menlo Atherton. “Stevie and I (later) shared a house with a couple of people on Bascom Avenue (in Campbell) — a house that is gone now, but was across from the Pruneyard.

“Both my parents went to San Jose State. My great great grandfather, who came across the plains from St. Joseph, Missouri, in a covered wagon, was the first doctor in Santa Clara County — Benjamin Cory.”

He still has family — including a brother — in the area. It’ll be his first time performing at the Civic, but he did see some shows there back in the day.

“I think I even saw Chuck Berry there once,” he says.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM AND CHRISTINE MCVIE

When: 8 p.m. Oct. 14

Where: 135 W. San Carlos St., San Jose

Tickets: $60-$99; www.ticketmaster.com.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for sharing that SJ Mercury article, Elle!

Does this tweet mean that there will be a possible interview on NPR tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/TaliaSchlanger/s...56800950583297

If you have a question, there's no harm in submitting it. I only say this because I get apprehensive if I feel that it's too late.