Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

I finally got myself to watch it. ZERO chemistry. Painful
to watch Stevie pretend she has some kind of connection with Finn when it really came across like she met him yesterday. Boring to watch her handful of new hand gestures. No interaction between Stevie and Christine (who looks like she can’t wait until April 2019 or whenever this tour is over. Mick grinning like the morally bankrupt (pun intended) tiny little man that he really is.

I’m embarrassed for the whole lot of them.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It took two people replace him, and they certainly don’t have the energy he had on stage. It’s just not Fleetwood Mac anymore.

-Some Bob Welch fan, circa 1975.
Wait... Are you being serious? I have to ask. And keep in mind, I'll always respect your opinion. No matter how off we are in agreement.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Gypsy was bland as well, there was none of the excitement to it. I felt Stevie's voice sounded washed out, or too low. Couldn't hear Mr. Neilson at all on the "lightening strikes, maybe once, maybe twice." That always made the hair on my arms stand up, when I heard Lindsey do that part.
I thought the same thing. I actually went back and listened/watched a YouTube of Gypsy from the 2015 tour (Toronto show). It's of course apples and oranges (tv studio vs. arena), but I wanted to compare performances. Stevie's range is about the same, although she seemed to be singing *louder* in the concert performance. Same strange waving gestures and whatnot though.

But it's the use of the guitar that made the difference to me. It really brings some heft to the song that is missing when you just plunk the keys on the keyboard. And as you said, Lindsey doing the "Lightning strikes" lines are always a highlight for me. I just don't understand the rationale here, since Mike is unquestionably a great guitarist.

Ironically, Gypsy and The Chain are my two favorite Fleetwood Mac songs, so I can't fault them for song choice.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Wait... Are you being serious? I have to ask. And keep in mind, I'll always respect your opinion. No matter how off we are in agreement.
Based on the bootlegs from Bob’s time in the band, he was much more the showman than Stevie or Lindsey. Not that that’s necessarily better.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Egads, it's as sad as I thought it would be.

The guitar work is fantastic but not significant enough of a departure to sound as original as it could have. Neil Finn is competent but unexciting.

I'm one of the biggest Christine fans ever but I simply can't applaud her presence on stage if she isn't going to be heard instrumentally or vocally. I get the feeling she's playing keyboard parts though they seemed to be silenced in favor of studio professionals. I was already weary of the pre=played parts on the LB/CM tour. I can't bear to watch her remain an inaudible hologram on stage. Play or don't play. Sing or don't sing, no matter how frail you might be.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Based on the bootlegs from Bob’s time in the band, he was much more the showman than Stevie or Lindsey. Not that that’s necessarily better.
though to be fair even Stevie onstage then wasn't what she would become, and certainly Lindsey wasn't.

So that's the only sliver of hope for this new lineup.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
I thought the same thing. I actually went back and listened/watched a YouTube of Gypsy from the 2015 tour (Toronto show). It's of course apples and oranges (tv studio vs. arena), but I wanted to compare performances. Stevie's range is about the same, although she seemed to be singing *louder* in the concert performance. Same strange waving gestures and whatnot though.

But it's the use of the guitar that made the difference to me. It really brings some heft to the song that is missing when you just plunk the keys on the keyboard. And as you said, Lindsey doing the "Lightning strikes" lines are always a highlight for me. I just don't understand the rationale here, since Mike is unquestionably a great guitarist.

Ironically, Gypsy and The Chain are my two favorite Fleetwood Mac songs, so I can't fault them for song choice.
Stevie's voice really diminished the performances. She was off-key most of the time. She had very limited range and wouldn't even come close to the vocal highs from the original version of the song. Her gestures and vocal improvisations were bordering on embarrassing. That being said, "The Chain" sounded really good and I would suggest that they focus more on the songs with group harmonies, male lead, or Christine lead.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought they sounded much better than I had anticipated. Mick’s drumming was much punchier than usual particularly on Gypsy. But I do think the physical energy lacked a bit and I agree The Chain lacked a certain zip. But overall for their first time out musically I think this is a great start. Can’t wait to see them.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Awful. I would rather have rectal cancer than attend a show.

Last edited by Jondalar; 09-05-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Old 09-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched it. Gypsy actually sounded a lot like it always does, minus Lindsey’s guitar solo and harmonies I thought it was fine. Maybe it was because of TV they cut it but I am thinking it might be permanent. It identifies to closely to him in my opinion. I agree with another poster that Gypsy sounds better on her solo tours
Now, “The Chain”. That was truly awful. Neil’s voice is not strong enough for that song. I don’t know if the ladies were turned down intentionally so people could hear Neil, but their sound people need to reverse that quickly. It was actually cringe worthy
Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

watching Gypsy again, the fact that MIKE is the one plonking out that line on a keyboard baffles and kinda really p&sses me off. I mean, Christine couldn't even plonk out those few notes?? Really??? WTF is she doing up there??
And if she really can't play even that much, why isn't Mystery Keyboard guy doing it? It makes no sense for Mike to do it and looks really super goofy for him to do it. A guitar player of his caliber? Really? And he can't twang that bit out on his guitar either??

Their sound person needs to be b&tched out. Stevie was fiddling with her monitor pack throughout both songs and it was clear on The Chain she couldn't hear herself. I think that moment when she blurted out whatever incoherent sound she said was her testing out the mic to see if it was even on, because she couldn't hear.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a bunch of cranky ass people who ate more than their share of Bitter Flakes this morning. You all need some therapy. The negativity towards these individuals is really a damn shame. WE GET IT. LINDSEY IS GONE. All you people can do is hurl negativity towards this whole situation? Really sad. These are musicians no matter what form they take on. It should be respected as such. Move on from this damn drama already. If you don't have anything nice to say about it then shut up!
Old 09-05-2018, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrby View Post
What a bunch of cranky ass people who ate more than their share of Bitter Flakes this morning. You all need some therapy. The negativity towards these individuals is really a damn shame. WE GET IT. LINDSEY IS GONE. All you people can do is hurl negativity towards this whole situation? Really sad. These are musicians no matter what form they take on. It should be respected as such. Move on from this damn drama already. If you don't have anything nice to say about it then shut up!
Who's being dramatic?

Yeah, they're musicians. They're professional musicians with decades of experience who put on a very lackluster televised performance and the rest of us have every right to criticise it.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
If you don't have anything nice to say about it then shut up!
Please leave this board immediately. There, now we've both said ridiculous things neither one of us are going to listen to.

I haven't seen any mean-spirited reviews of their performance here that weren't based on what we all saw today. Sorry if you are having a hard time reading what folks here think.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When you start paying our mortgages, maybe then you can start telling us all what to do. If you can't do that, then maybe you should shut up!