Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Ledgie

Default What are the odds?

What are the odds of the "67-'70 version of Mac ever playing music together again - even a short set just one time maybe? I found one Greeny interview (from a couple of years ago) where he spoke of how he has dinner with Mick occasionally. He didn't seem to think McVie would be all that exicted about playing. I would think that if Peter were really into it it would be the main push that might get it done. Wouldn't it be cool to see just what would come through Mr. Green's fingers if he were onstage with his old bandmates, and had that Les Paul around his neck?....I'm sure you've all thought about, and discussed this, but I'm new here and just wanted to see what some of you seasoned Greeny fans thought about the odds of such a reunion really happening.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Funny you mention that...

ORIGINAL FLEETWOOD MAC LINEUP LOOKING TO RECORD AGAIN
WMGK.com

If everything works out, the original Fleetwood Mac lineup from 1967 will hit the studio again this year. That's the word from drummer Mick Fleetwood, who wants guitarists Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer to join up with him and bassist John McVie, who are the only ones who've been in every version of the band. While walking the red carpet at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony on Monday (March 14th) in New York City, Fleetwood exclusively told us about the plans to reform the band: "I am actually talking to Peter about doing, making some music, and in truth, we're finding out whether anyone's interested in, in -- whether they want us to make some music, 'cause there's no point in making music if you can't get a record label to do it. I am actually trying quite hard to put those musicians in a studio."

The current Fleetwood Mac lineup -- Fleetwood, McVie, singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, and frontwoman Stevie Nicks -- are enjoying some time apart after the virtually two years they spent together making and touring behind 2003's Say You Will.

The original Fleetwood Mac lineup only made one album, which was called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac in 1968. They were joined by singer-keyboardist Christine Perfect and guitarist Danny Kirwan for 1968's Mr. Wonderful and 1969's English Rose, although Perfect -- who changed her name to Christine McVie after marrying John McVie -- didn't become a full-time member until 1971 due to contractual issues. Green left after 1969's Then Play On, and Spencer quit during a U.S. tour in 1971. Both men were heavy drug users, and they suffered emotional and mental damage.

Green has been releasing albums steadily since 1997. Fleetwood told LAUNCH that Spencer is doing well, and that they played together about a year ago.

Thanks to nickslive!!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WOW!!

Thank you SO much for posting this, wondergirl9847
If it DOES happen, it will be fantastic!!! I have to admit that I have been hoping... and now that Peter does not play with Splinter Group anymore... well, I guess Mick Fleetwood just won't let this chance get away.

My only hope if it happens, is that it is done in a proper way so that Peter and Jeremy will not have too much pressure.

Daniel
Old 03-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Welcome

Thanks so much to nickslive.

Yeah, I hope that if this is done, it will be done with respect and dignity.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Ledgie

Wow! I didn't expect such a great response when I posed the question. Thanks for the news wondergirl. The timing seems good too to do this now. As dansven said, Greeny is not involved witht the Splinter group. And Mac is in a down period I guess. I know one thing - if this reunion has any chance to happen than Mick will get it done. There's no doubt in my mind about that after reading his book. What a wonderful thing for them (especially Peter) to sort of come full circle. I didn't see Danny Kirwan mentioned as part of the story. What about him.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Danny...

I don't think we'll ever hear from Danny again and I'm usually an optimist. I pray that he's well. I would most DEFINITELY go see Danny with FM or even alone.

I am still in a bit of a haze that I got to see Peter in 2003 in London.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Wow! I didn't expect such a great response when I posed the question. Thanks for the news wondergirl. The timing seems good too to do this now. As dansven said, Greeny is not involved witht the Splinter group. And Mac is in a down period I guess. I know one thing - if this reunion has any chance to happen than Mick will get it done. There's no doubt in my mind about that after reading his book. What a wonderful thing for them (especially Peter) to sort of come full circle. I didn't see Danny Kirwan mentioned as part of the story. What about him.
I would agree that Mick will probably push it strongly if there's enough interest. I'm sure John would do it and Jeremy most likely also... Pete's probably the one who has to be handled w/ the most care.

Don't think Danny would be well enough to do it. But if he did, wow, can you imagine..that would be unreal.

-Lis
Old 03-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Ledgie

And Peter probably would want a strong second guitar player onboard anyway. I would think he'd be against being the only guitar.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a thought. Since Danny can't do it, why not bring Rick Vito into the fold, at least if they tour? It would take some of the pressure off of Peter. And, like Danny, Rick was heavily influenced by Peter, so there would be the parallel. Hell, like Peter, Rick was a guitarist for Mayall and Fleetwood Mac!

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-20-2005 at 01:47 AM..
Old 03-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Red face Ooh

I just saw that Lis posted this on the Rumours board. How did I miss that?!

Thank you Lis!
Old 03-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What about Snowy White as a second guitarist??
Old 03-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the info Wondergirl!
IMHO it seems unlikely that any large-scale re-union would happen.
Maybe a DVD or a cd? It's unlikely that Green would like to play the "greatest hits" with the band. He's obviously not been interested in playing those songs,
I would think he did it in Splinter Group because he had to.
And let's NOT get another guitar player, at least not a lead one. If anybody has to play Black magic woman, let Peter do it his way, which may not be
with as many notes as in the late 60's, but still very beautifully and unmistakably "greeny". I'm so sick of hearing Nigel Watson et al playing copies of Peter's old solos.
But with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie it seems unlikely that they would
play any new exciting music? Oh well
Old 03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with you, Dino!

I am very tired of hearing Nigel playing the solo of "Black Magic Woman" and all the other Fleetwood Mac classics. After hearing Peter playing solo on the Rudy Rotta CD and on the live recording from Royal Albert Hall, I just can't understand why he didn't do it with the Splinter Group. It is very different from the original FM recording, but still very beautiful and inventive.

However, I think Peter himself would be the first to suggest another guitarist... And if that happens, I hope they get a PROPER guitarist! ... ON RYTHM!!

Daniel
Old 03-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But, it seems to me that Peter's problem is that he can't handle the pressure of being THE lead guitarist. Back in the '60s he could, but even then he wasn't too keen on it. As for Snowy White, with all of the guitarists the Mac has had over the years, why bring in somebody new? Rick Vito would still get my vote.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, it's just that I don't know much about Rick Vito.
And Snowy has played with Peter on In The Skies, the solo singles after FM and on Time Traders. And I know Peter thinks he's a very good player.

But I'm sure Vito would do a great job!!

But I still think such a reunion is too good to be true...