User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Mzero!

I couldn't agree more concerning Snowy White

And yes, I also think "In The Skies" is Peter's best album of that era. But I think his playing on the "Whatcha Gonna Do" album is extremely good! Especially songs like "Bullet In The Sky", "Lost My Love" and "Woman Don't".

I do also compare the SG songs and style with his later PVK albums, and I think his playing has become more and more inventive/creative!! Even more than when he was with Fleetwood Mac!!
And I think "The Blues Don't Change" (the song) is one of his BEST performances with SG.

Daniel
Old 06-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
Hi Mzero!

I couldn't agree more concerning Snowy White

And yes, I also think "In The Skies" is Peter's best album of that era. But I think his playing on the "Whatcha Gonna Do" album is extremely good! Especially songs like "Bullet In The Sky", "Lost My Love" and "Woman Don't".

I do also compare the SG songs and style with his later PVK albums, and I think his playing has become more and more inventive/creative!! Even more than when he was with Fleetwood Mac!!
And I think "The Blues Don't Change" (the song) is one of his BEST performances with SG.

Daniel
I agree!!! In the skies is amazing, and you have to think that he was not well during the last part of recording it,
having come back from the States and his coke habit.
I bought the remaster this week, and the sound is better than ever. Nice sleevenotes by Celmins,
although they could have been longer. You hear more detail of everything.
Has anyone paid attention to Peter's vocals on these albums? I think he sounds great on "In the skies",
then he sounds like he has a cold or worse on the next two albums, while he does some of the greatest
singing of his career on "White sky", listen to "Fallin' apart"! Musically, I think those two albums
have the best bands too, although the material is a bit thin on "White sky".
Old 06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Dino!

Yes, I also had your oppinion about "In The Skies" and "White Sky", but I tend to like "Little Dreamer" and "Whatcha Gonna Do" more and more - especially WGD.

"In The Skies" and "White Sky" definitely have the tightest bands, and Peter's singing is much more confident on these albums. I also love his singing on "Big Boy Now" from Kolors. However, I like his singing on LD and WGD more and more these days, quite soulful.

"White Sky" was my favourite for a long time, even above "In The Skies". But in spite of a tight band, good singing and rocking songs, I don't think Peter is playing as good on this album (with the exception of "Just Another Guy" and a few more). Apart from "In The Skies", I now prefer the bluesy playing on "Whatcha Gonna Do". (I think "Carry My Love" from "Legend" is from the WGD sessions.)

I do think that Peter at the time wanted to do more of the funky music of "In The Skies" and the rocking of "White Sky", instead of the bluesy stuff of the other two albums. The bootlegs from that period consist of old FM classics, and new rather funky stuff instead of blues.

And I also think it is impressive, as you say Dino, that Peter managed to record all those albums in his mental state.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that (independent of speculation about exploitation), brother Michael Green did write a whole BUNCH of superb songs!! And I look upon him as a much more competent songwriter than any of the Splinter Group writers.

Daniel
Old 06-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking The last two reissues

Changes and good news for the two last Pvk reissues:

"White Sky":

Recorded in one week during May 1981, "White Sky" was Peter Green's fourth album for PVK. It briefly span off a road band of the same name, their personnel including a couple of the album's session-players, guitarist Ronnie Johnson and drummer Reg Isadore. Issued in early 1982, the original LP featured nine tracks:this reissue also includes all the album's outtakes, including a previously-unreleased vocal version of "Just Another Guy".

Bonus tracks:
Touch My Spirit
Big Boy Now
Corners Of My Mind
Carry My Love
Funky Jam
Just Another Guy (vocal version)

"Kolors":

Although promoted as a new album on its 1983 release, Kolors was a compilation of outtakes form Peter Green's 3 previous PVK albums, Little Dreamer, Watcha Gonna Do and White Sky (NB Kolors also doubled as the name of Peter's then current road band). This set re-sequences the album's original nine tracks chronologically and adds a further six bonus tracks, including a previously-unreleased alternate take of "Watcha Gonna Do?"

Bonus tracks:

Apostole (single version)
Rubbing My Eyes
Long Way From Home
Six Strings Guitar
You Won't See Me Anymore
Watcha Gonna Do? (Alternate takes)
Old 06-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WOW!! Thanks for the great news, Mario!!

I can't wait to hear the vocal version of "Just Another Guy", as it actually is one of my favourite Peter Green instrumentals .. along with "Rubbing My Eyes". Highly underrated stuff!! I see that Sanctuary lists "Just Another Guy" (instrumental) two times in addition to the vocal version... just a mistake I guess.

I'm a bit surprised that "Carry My Love" and "Touch My Spirit" are listed as "White Sky" outtakes. I would have guessed that they came from the "Little Dreamer"/"Whatcha Gonna Do" sessions. And it still puzzles me why they didn't put "The Apostle" single version on the "In The Skies" album. But this is FANTASTIC news!!!

I wonder what will happen to the "Legend" version of "Bandit"...

Daniel
Old 06-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
WOW!! Thanks for the great news, Mario!! ...... this is FANTASTIC news!!!............Daniel

yes, thanks for the info mario as always

i was thinking i'd have to pass on the reissues but they've done it now. this is the way to entice jaded individuals, such as zero, to fork over the cash- add liner notes with previously unknown session details and the unreleased tracks.

note to sanctuary: be sure to save a few unreleased tracks in the can so you can take zero's money again a few years from now with some 'new' reissues.

that's ok if somehow some of the $$ make their way to our hero so he can afford those cools shades and strings for his guitars.

zero
Old 07-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Greeny PVK re-releases (the 3 first) were reviewed in this month's
Uncut. In the skies and Little dreamer only got 2 stars, Whatcha gonna do one star. I was kind of miffed, I'd give In the skies 4 stars and the others 3.
But the reviewer seemed to compare them against Greeny's F. Mac output,
which I don't think you should, except possibly in the skies.
By the way, the last two reissues are coming out here on July 4th,
though not on Castle, on Playground. I will pick them up as soon as possible

/dino
Old 07-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Break?

Does anyone here know if the "Whatcha gonna do" reissue lists track 6 (correctly) as "To break your heart" (as opposed to "...breave..." like the old Castle issue lists)?

John
Old 07-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No, it's still "to breave"...
You would think that they could have got that right at least.
The track is obviously called "to break your heart", it's on
the original LP.
By the way, my White SKy lp says PVK records, so maybe that is also a PVK album.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Well,

I must say that my copy of "White Sky" on vinyl (UK pressing) is on "Headline", but it was licensed by PVK Records

Mario.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting...
My copy is the scandinavian edition, it says PVK on the label and
everywhere. But it's distributed by some other company.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On another note...
The tracklists for the reissues of "White sky" and "Kolors" posted
on the web doesn't include any unreleased material. But maybe they
just haven't updated the info if these changes were made
recently?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Yes, there are some (good) changes, and I can tell you for sure that "White Sky" features an unreleased vocal version of "Just Another Guy", while "Kolors" has an unreleased alternate take of "Whatcha Gonna Do?" with female backing singers, which in Martin Celmins words is "just superb"

Also we will be pleased with the sleeve notes, lots of new and extra infos about both the sessions.

Mario.