The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,755
Default Lindsey meets Bob Welch

I happened to be re-reading Bob Welch's question and answer session he did online in 1999. I forgot his story when he ran into Lindsey in a steak house about 4 months after Lindsey joined Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey asked Bob, "how the hell could you stand these people" Bob stated that Mick, John and Christine acted like they were British royalty.
Flash forward to today. Bob is looking down on Lindsey....told ya so.

Bob also correctly pointed out that Mick likes to forget all former Fleetwood Mac members as if they did not exist. He points out what he did to Peter Green, and various other members.

This session was done just about a year after the horror of the Mac preventing Bob from being inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of fame.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I happened to be re-reading Bob Welch's question and answer session he did online in 1999. I forgot his story when he ran into Lindsey in a steak house about 4 months after Lindsey joined Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey asked Bob, "how the hell could you stand these people" Bob stated that Mick, John and Christine acted like they were British royalty.
Flash forward to today. Bob is looking down on Lindsey....told ya so.

Bob also correctly pointed out that Mick likes to forget all former Fleetwood Mac members as if they did not exist. He points out what he did to Peter Green, and various other members.

This session was done just about a year after the horror of the Mac preventing Bob from being inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of fame.
I remember that quote so vividly. Bob gave LB some advice too if I remember.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2019, 03:54 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 10,962
Default

those theories may all be nice and well, but in the end Lindsey's main problem was a bitter competitive hateful ex who couldn't age gracefully or gain any wisdom with age.

spineless Brits were there as her appeasers though.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 PM
luminol luminol is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 114
Default

Not that heíd know it since heís dead (RIP), but the RRHOF needs to add that man posthumously to the Hall. Itís shameful that heís not included. Even if they did it (which they wonít), it would be too little too late, but he deserves it. Welch was in the band for more albums than the R5, and he and Christine were the two song writers for that time. Mystery To Me is one of FMís best albums! To exclude him in 1998 was another perfect example of how spineless Mick (and Chris and John) are because they didnít stand up for him and they could have easily demanded Welch be included (but they didnít because they were bitter over the royalty lawsuit). LB and SN get a bit of a pass since they werenít in the band with him, but I guess the Mac was and is just full of a$$holes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post
Not that he’d know it since he’s dead (RIP), but the RRHOF needs to add that man posthumously to the Hall. It’s shameful that he’s not included. Even if they did it (which they won’t), it would be too little too late, but he deserves it. Welch was in the band for more albums than the R5, and he and Christine were the two song writers for that time. Mystery To Me is one of FM’s best albums! To exclude him in 1998 was another perfect example of how spineless Mick (and Chris and John) are because they didn’t stand up for him and they could have easily demanded Welch be included (but they didn’t because they were bitter over the royalty lawsuit). LB and SN get a bit of a pass since they weren’t in the band with him, but I guess the Mac was and is just full of a$$holes.
I don't think you would get anyone to disagree with you. It was a reopened wound for me to re-read his interview. Its odd because he praises Christine as the perfect musician and so talented. But it hurt to read how he said they don't talk anymore (1999). Regardless of a lawsuit, the band could have still allowed him entry. They did not have to play with him but its probably the greatest snub in RNRHOF history.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Street_Dreamer's Avatar
Street_Dreamer Street_Dreamer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Eureka, CA
Posts: 693
Default

"Bob Welch saved Fleetwood Mac." - Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:55 AM
Conga Conga is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 59
Default

It's nice for us to knock all the current members of the group (not really) but Mick constantly mentions Peter and when he talks of him, he talks of him so warmly and fondly. When we saw The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, he and Rick both praised Peter over and over, he managed Peter, he included Peter on both his first solo LP and they let him lay down that beautiful solo on the one version of Brown Eyes and he wrote a whole book on the Peter Green era which is too expensive for plebs like me but hey it's out there. I think Mick just was in survival mode through those shaky years like he just wanted to keep the band going and keep the music flowing, there was no time to rest on their laurels, they didn't have any money touring around with Danny and afterwards Bob and Bob and the rest of the lot.

I mean, say what you will about Stevie and that, but I really don't think that if Bob and Lindsey felt like that they would have endlessly collaborated with the group outside of the Fleetwood Mac band. Lindsey on Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, Stevie on Bob's second LP, Mick and Stevie playing with Bob's band, Lindsey collaborating with John and Mick a whole bunch, Christine appearing on one of both Bob and Lindsey's records. If you hated them so much why let them keep collaborating? And much love to Bob, he's one of my favourite members of the group but are we sure he really knew what he was talking about by that late in the game; I think maybe he was just bitter (and I really don't blame him, the whole R&RHOF situation was a complete epic blow to poor Bob) by then?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2019, 08:07 AM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 10,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conga View Post
It's nice for us to knock all the current members of the group (not really) but Mick constantly mentions Peter and when he talks of him, he talks of him so warmly and fondly. When we saw The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, he and Rick both praised Peter over and over, he managed Peter, he included Peter on both his first solo LP and they let him lay down that beautiful solo on the one version of Brown Eyes and he wrote a whole book on the Peter Green era which is too expensive for plebs like me but hey it's out there. I think Mick just was in survival mode through those shaky years like he just wanted to keep the band going and keep the music flowing, there was no time to rest on their laurels, they didn't have any money touring around with Danny and afterwards Bob and Bob and the rest of the lot.

I mean, say what you will about Stevie and that, but I really don't think that if Bob and Lindsey felt like that they would have endlessly collaborated with the group outside of the Fleetwood Mac band. Lindsey on Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, Stevie on Bob's second LP, Mick and Stevie playing with Bob's band, Lindsey collaborating with John and Mick a whole bunch, Christine appearing on one of both Bob and Lindsey's records. If you hated them so much why let them keep collaborating? And much love to Bob, he's one of my favourite members of the group but are we sure he really knew what he was talking about by that late in the game; I think maybe he was just bitter (and I really don't blame him, the whole R&RHOF situation was a complete epic blow to poor Bob) by then?
you raise some great points.

except characterizing fair criticisms and discussion as "hate". i don't think any of the posters here talked about hate. despising Mick? sure! hate? nah.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conga View Post
It's nice for us to knock all the current members of the group (not really) but Mick constantly mentions Peter and when he talks of him, he talks of him so warmly and fondly. When we saw The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, he and Rick both praised Peter over and over, he managed Peter, he included Peter on both his first solo LP and they let him lay down that beautiful solo on the one version of Brown Eyes and he wrote a whole book on the Peter Green era which is too expensive for plebs like me but hey it's out there. I think Mick just was in survival mode through those shaky years like he just wanted to keep the band going and keep the music flowing, there was no time to rest on their laurels, they didn't have any money touring around with Danny and afterwards Bob and Bob and the rest of the lot.

I mean, say what you will about Stevie and that, but I really don't think that if Bob and Lindsey felt like that they would have endlessly collaborated with the group outside of the Fleetwood Mac band. Lindsey on Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, Stevie on Bob's second LP, Mick and Stevie playing with Bob's band, Lindsey collaborating with John and Mick a whole bunch, Christine appearing on one of both Bob and Lindsey's records. If you hated them so much why let them keep collaborating? And much love to Bob, he's one of my favourite members of the group but are we sure he really knew what he was talking about by that late in the game; I think maybe he was just bitter (and I really don't blame him, the whole R&RHOF situation was a complete epic blow to poor Bob) by then?
OMG you are way off base with many of your comments. Bob was not feeble minded in 1999 as you allege (did he really know what he was talking about that late in the game). Just wow. He has a history to tell like every other member.
You also make false assumptions. There was NEVER been bad blood between Bob and Stevie and Lindsey. So you stating their contributions together don't further your point. Bob loved Lindsey's playing and he and Stevie had a genuine friendship.
Nowhere in my original post did I nor Bob in 1999 ever use the word HATE. But you used it several times. Nowhere did I knock any current members. I was repeating what Bob endured and experienced. Simple as that.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-25-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM
sleepless child's Avatar
sleepless child sleepless child is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 536
Default

I think it's a shame also that Bob wasn't included. I think of Micks last words after every concert. In this crazy world we live in, remember to be kind to one another. Just words for him. He doesn't mean it.
__________________

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2019, 11:43 AM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 688
Default

Whatever their merits, no eras outside Green and Buckingham-Nicks produced Hall Of Fame quality music. If anything, I would have understood had they inducted the Rumours lineup only.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,735
Default

I remember one of Bob’s last posts here where he praised Mick and Billy for agreeing to play a benefit he was trying to organize for Wendy, but blasted Stevie and Lindsey for not even returning his calls.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 AM
Feather Blade Feather Blade is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you raise some great points.

except characterizing fair criticisms and discussion as "hate". i don't think any of the posters here talked about hate. despising Mick? sure! hate? nah.
de∑spiseDictionary result for despise
/dəˈspīz/Submit
verb
feel contempt or a deep repugnance for.

synonyms: detest, hate, loathe, abhor, abominate, execrate, regard with contempt, feel contempt for, shrink from, be repelled by, not be able to bear/stand/stomach, find intolerable, deplore, dislike; More

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 AM
Feather Blade Feather Blade is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 529
Default

I loved Bob's work. Mystery to Me is in my list of favorite Mac albums.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 AM
luminol luminol is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I loved Bob's work. Mystery to Me is in my list of favorite Mac albums.
Me too. One of their best.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

JOHN MCVIE AUTOGRAPH *FLEETWOOD MAC* HAND SIGNED 10X8 PHOTO
$152.65
JOHN MCVIE AUTOGRAPH *FLEETWOOD MAC* HAND SIGNED 10X8 PHOTO picturec1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$54.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER picture1988 Press Photo John Graham McVie Guitarist Bass Rock - RRU29333
$22.96
1988 Press Photo John Graham McVie Guitarist Bass Rock - RRU29333 picturePress Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Press Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved