User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Story of Marines who Recorded an album. This is an excerpt:
http://yuma.usmc.mil/desertwarrior/2.../feature4.html

The Marines christened the project Stevie Beatz, a play on the name of rock musician Stevie Nicks.

Moreira started shipping in recording equipment while Dominguez helped turn their room in a makeshift recording studio. Working with limited equipment, the two began fashioning a musical style they call "acoustic hip-hop."
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac): She debuted 20 years ago as a solo artist with album that sold 8 million units at one go. Perhaps that would be the best introduction to Stevie Nick's voice, song-writing skills and persona. With a sizeable number of Grammy nominations, both as a solo artist and with Fleetwood Mac, Nicks was one of the first women to be recognised this way in the mainstream. Currently, at the age of 63, she is still touring the world and performing. Forever on the Edge of Seventeen, Stevie Nicks, we salute you!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/12174669.cms
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://barrfamilytree.com/g-radio_nicks.htm

Ever seen Stevie Nicks' "Rock a Little - Live at Red Rocks" DVD? That's the good folks from Gary Barr Entertainment at the very beginning, with our "We Love Stevie" banner hanging off the rail for Stevie to see above the performer's entrance at the venue. Our friend Tanya (the banner's artist) is standing over it when they show it at the beginning of the movie, as Stevie waved up to her when she got there that afternoon with Mick Fleetwood and Waddy Wachtel. Gary was off running around somewhere at the time.

It was one of the most magical shows ever recorded in the history of Red Rocks. Gary would surface later in the movie as Stevie walked past us in the front row gathering all the flowers and touching the hands of all her adoring fans. As she moved from side to side with the camerman next to her, he captured Gary Barr reaching up to Stevie, apparently star-struck (if his demeanor in the video was any indication). Check it out - you can still find the DVD - it's worth a watch.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
It was one of the most magical shows ever recorded in the history of Red Rocks. .
This concert video should have been tossed in the garbage with the rest of the studio's trash that day when it was edited. I love that story told by the editor's of this video. Even they hated what they had to work with.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from article by Topher Payne, The GA Voice

http://www.thegavoice.com/opinion/do...t-thing-you-do

These are bands I’ve never heard of, with names like Railroad Earth and The String Cheese Incident. Early in our dating life, I was invited on these excursions, but I declined because it sounded awful. Songs are not supposed to last for twenty minutes, and large groups of stoned people tend to piss me off because they get so damn chatty. Also, they all dance like Stevie Nicks, spinning in circles with arms in the air, lost in a reverie. I was trained to dance at gay bars, where the entire point is as much physical contact as possible. People have, without even trying, accidentally had sex while dancing at gay bars. So for five years, I’ve just let the concerts be his thing.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Last we heard from Bret Michaels, he was chasing rock’s original gypsy, Stevie Nicks, for a guest spot on his upcoming solo record, ‘Get Your Rock On,’ tentatively due this summer. While he may not have scored Stevie for the album (yet?), he has already lined up a veritable who’s who of…well, of people who make music, spanning the gamut from fellow rock veterans Joe Perry of Aerosmith and Ace Frehley of KISS to country icon Loretta Lynn and chief parrothead Jimmy Buffett.
“[It's a] really amazing record,” Bret told AZCentral.com. “I put a lot of hard work into this. And everyone that’s on it, I’m not only friends with but fans of. I’ve got Ace Frehley from KISS and Michael Anthony from Van Halen…’Every Rose Has Its Thorn’ has Joe Perry from Aerosmith and Hugh McDonald from Bon Jovi. And it’s got Loretta Lynn singing it with me. Then, Jimmy Buffett, me and him did ‘Margaritaville’ live…It’s all people I know. Vinnie Paul from Pantera. They’re all friends of mine.”

But the track of which Michaels seems most proud brings him together with the founding fathers of southern-fried rock. “The best one — are you ready for this? — I remade ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ with the guys from Lynyrd Skynyrd playing and singing on it,” Michaels said. “Gary Rossington and Rickey Medlocke are on it. I wanted them to hear what I had done. I gave it a really cool feel. And they were like, ‘This is awesome.’”

With a mix of originals and covers, ‘Get Your Rock On’ is certainly shaping up to offer a veritable 31 flavors of musical styles. Although a release date has not been set, it’s possible the album will arrive just as Michaels hits the road with his Poison bandmates this June for a co-headlining tour of the US with Def Leppard.

(Editor’s note: We just set a new record for most links in one story. We hope it stands forever!)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bret-...m-guest-stars/
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

JUST ANNOUNCED

Waddy Wachtel Band featuring Wachtel (music director/guitarist for Stevie Nicks) with Bernard Fowler, Brett Tuggle, Jamie Savko, Jimmy Paxson and Al Ortiz, April 14, Poinsettia Pavilion, Ventura. waddyinventura.webs.com.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/mar/...ming-concerts/
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This concert video should have been tossed in the garbage with the rest of the studio's trash that day when it was edited. I love that story told by the editor's of this video. Even they hated what they had to work with.
Amen......
Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie was quoted in this card strategy article about the trump suit.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/lifesty...rump-suit.html

Stevie Nicks, a singer-songwriter best known for her work with Fleetwood Mac, said, “I am pretty fearless, and you know why? Because I don’t handle fear very well; I’m not a good terrified person.”
Old 03-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Style Spotting by Jerri Howell
http://www.stylespotting.com/2012/03...lish-hit-list/

Marissa says:

I am obsessed by Stevie Nicks, capes and beige sweaters.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Game of Thrones:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...usually-enough

All we know about the elder Baratheon is that he’s apparently a sort of medieval Chris De Burgh: He’d do just about anything for a mysterious lady in red. Said lady is Melisandre (played by Dutch master Carice Van Houten), a witchy mix of Stevie Nicks and Stephen King’s Firestarter. Over a hippie beach bonfire, Melisandre leads Stannis in a pagan sword ritual, anointing him a “warrior of light” (and admonishing him “not to bogart the roach”). This heresy causes one elder adviser to poison himself in protest, but not Melisandre: She out-Vizzini’s the old coot, downing his juked juice and freeing Stannis to send a strongly worded letter to all corners of Westeros outing Joffrey for what he is: the rotten fruit of the incestuous Lannisters.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So apparantly there's a new interview with Stevie in something called Oyster magazine?
I have no idea where this is being sold (not in my country anyway)
Maybe someone can go look for it?
http://oystermag.com/oyster-98-out-tomorrow (the dots are giving me a headache)

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

‘Edge of Seventeen (Just Like the White Winged Dove)’ was the third single from Stevie Nicks‘ debut solo album, 1981′s ‘Bella Donna.’ And the story behind this entry in our Top 100 Classic Rock Songs is one of musical lore.

The song’s name came from a conversation Stevie had with her good friend Tom Petty‘s first wife, Jane, about the couple’s first meeting. Jane said they met at the “age of seventeen,” but her thick Southern accent made it sound like she said “edge of seventeen” — and Nicks was so taken with the phrase that she asked Jane if she could use it as a song title.

Stevie intended the song to be about the Pettys, but when her beloved uncle Jonathan and music legend John Lennon both died during the same week in December of 1980, she shifted focus.

She’s since said that the “white-winged dove” in the lyrics represented the spirit leaving the body upon death, and some of the verses recount Stevie’s experiences in the days leading up to her uncle’s passing.

‘Edge of Seventeen’ peaked at No. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1982, and to this day it remains one of Nicks’ most recognizable tracks. In fact, the guitar riff — played by Stevie’s longtime guitarist, session musician Waddy Wachtel — is so distinctive that it was sampled in the Destiny’s Child song ‘Bootylicious,’ and Stevie herself even made an appearance in the accompanying video.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/stevi...ic-rock-songs/
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Starck Contrast
Another new documentary on the Starck Club revisits the storied Dallas nightclub of the '80s
By Catherine Downes Thursday, Apr 26 2012

It was May of 1984, and young punk Frank Campagna was racing around Dallas in his '75 burgundy Chrysler Cordova – the model with the real Corinthian leather. His mission: to find some green tea for Stevie Nicks.

"It was before there was Whole Foods or any of these organic places," he explains. "Hell, I'd never even heard of green tea before that. But that's what she wanted, and it was the only thing she drank."

Campagna, now a well-known local artist, admittedly only took a job at Starck Club in order to get in opening night. He skipped the line and $125 cover, and worked as a bar back. Nicks, one of Starck Club's investors, was in town along with performance artist and supermodel Grace Jones to christen the new venue's stage, launching what would become one of the most legendary dance clubs in Dallas history, at a time when the city was thriving, economically and culturally.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2012-0...ub-of-the-80s/
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember taking American Literature II with Dr. Will in Spring 2009. He assigned an open-ended, eight-page paper in which we analyzed some form of text – be it lyrics, poems, screenplays, books, etc. – that needed to reflect culture.

I thought about analyzing “To Kill a Mockingbird”; surely, I could find loads of research on that. Or Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken.” I realized I wasn’t into those topics, and I struggled to get started.

Then I had a stroke of genius. I could analyze a Stevie Nicks song, “Rhiannon,” because, well, I am totally and completely obsessed with the rock goddess. The wheels started turning, and I cranked out eight pages well before I wanted to be done researching my favorite singer.

This discovery was revolutionary to my paper-writing process. I realized I could actually write about topics I am passionate about. I completed my graduate casebook – a 30-page critical analysis of a book – on Harry Potter. And this semester, I am writing my last two papers – whew – on linguistic topics that get me almost as excited as Stevie Nicks or Harry Potter.

While I can’t guarantee this kind of excitement every time you get assigned a paper, I can encourage you to play up your strengths. Find topics that truly intrigue you, and think of the assignment more as time to expand your hobby rather than time to waste on another boring assignment.

http://leader.fhsu.edu/?p=8199