The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

pchic]Shania's first album, self titled, bombed, Mutt Lange comes into the picture, gold ever since. Shania wouldn't be up on that stage shaking her ass off in the first place if it weren't for her songs. One word to describe Shania's songs is "catchy" and that is due to Mutt's co-writing, composing and producing. Don't get me wrong, I love Shania, and not just because she's Canadian (but that helps ) but her songs are just so damn "catchy" & her hot little bod don't hurt either

I hate it too when a man gets all the credit for a hard working woman's success but sometimes it does happen [/QUOTE]

Really, I don't give two hoots about Shania Twain so I guess I'm not really all that invested in this but all I can think about is footage I saw of her before she made it big, and the girl could sing. She does have vocal talent, unfortunately she's been "tarted" up and packaged as a Brittneyesque pop icon (and maybe it was her idea, I don't know) in order for her records to sell. It's a shame really, but it's something that has befallen many women in pop music, even the talented ones. I suppose this is the biggest shame of all. And I guess I hate that her talent is overshadowed by her image and her husband's deux machina "hand of god" presence in her music. Did I say I wasn't all that invested in this topic?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if it was like this in the states, but when Shania was just breaking through, what got her noticed here in Canada, was not her voice but her midriff. She was the first country artist to show her midriff (I think it was the video for "What Made You Say That?" or maybe it was "Any Man of Mine" (whatever) but it got everyone talking here. Not a big deal to me but it was alittle shocking at first
Old 12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
We had a discussion about charitable donations, taxes, etc., awhile back wherein you said you would never get that people should get any tax break or that companies should make donations for favorable public exposure. Sinilarly, charities know that they will make tenfold what they give the stars (most of which is donated or obtained at a reduced cost BTW). That is where I was getting that. If this is not what you said - then I am wrong (but I know you said it ) or you said it and have changed your mind - so be it.
I never stated that people shouldn't get tax breaks, pal. I believe what I said was that I disagreed on a moral level with people donating to charities for the sole purpose of getting tax breaks.

I don't give a flying fig what the charities get back tenfold, that isn't the issue. The issue is that I find it morally corrupt for these celebrities to take and demand such gifts for their appearances and the like. The ten grand that they're using to pamper celebs in hotel suites could be used to help someone who really needs it. But if you think it's fine for celebs to use charities for their own personal gain, that's your prerogative.

Quote:
P.S. Please produce the proof on Shania. I wanna see where she demanded a Rolex
I never said she did. We had a discussion about her and her diva antics on this very board over the summer, do a search.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I never stated that people shouldn't get tax breaks, pal. I believe what I said was that I disagreed on a moral level with people donating to charities for the sole purpose of getting tax breaks.

I don't give a flying fig what the charities get back tenfold, that isn't the issue. The issue is that I find it morally corrupt for these celebrities to take and demand such gifts for their appearances and the like. The ten grand that they're using to pamper celebs in hotel suites could be used to help someone who really needs it. But if you think it's fine for celebs to use charities for their own personal gain, that's your prerogative.

I never said she did. We had a discussion about her and her diva antics on this very board over the summer, do a search.
Split hairs all you want - blah blah blah

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Really, I don't give two hoots about Shania Twain so I guess I'm not really all that invested in this but all I can think about is footage I saw of her before she made it big, and the girl could sing.
Really? What early footage did you see? Whenever I see a show about her like "Driven," for example, they show that same old footage of her wearing an overly-glitzy dress, sporting the ultimate eighties hair, and singing at this kinda dingy-looking nightclub, and she is nothin' special. And they talk about how great she was back then, and how her voice was just great. But she wasn't better than the average person.

Still, she wasn't too shabby at "VH-1 Divas Live 98", IMO. I thought "You're Still the One" sounded good.

In reference to what bikerchic said about the videos, I believe it was "Any Man of Mine" that got her lots of attention in the U.S. Everyone was shocked about the midriff thing, and Shania's response was "Lots of people bare their midriffs; I don't understand why mine is such an issue." She failed to consider the fact that the "lots of people" weren't country music singers. Anyway, I know they played the video for "What Made You Say That" in the U.S., but it didn't do much on the charts, and when The Woman in Me came out, I remember a lot of people assuming it was her debut.

Hillary
Old 12-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up I agree!

Yep, some of the greatest singers never wrote a note. They interpreted the song.

I don't care what anyone says....the voice is an instrument.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Split hairs all you want - blah blah blah
I will, because I'm right and you're wrong.

Once again, if you think it's right for celebs to use charities for their own personal gain, fine. But I don't.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I will, because I'm right and you're wrong.

Once again, if you think it's right for celebs to use charities for their own personal gain, fine. But I don't.
Bless your heart - you cannot see the forest for the trees I am not arguing it is correct or moral for anyone to do what you assert (which keeps changing BTW ) - I am just saying the charities have no problem with it (whatever "it" is) - if the stars get them tenfold the cost

Old 12-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bless your heart - you cannot see the forest for the trees I am not arguing it is correct or moral for anyone to do what you assert (which keeps changing BTW ) - I am just saying the charities have no problem with it (whatever "it" is) - if the stars get them tenfold the cost
And I am not arguing with that, nor have I ever.

My only beef is with the acceptance and demands of such perks. Christ, your teachers must have struggled to work on your comprehension skills.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I am not arguing with that, nor have I ever.

My only beef is with the acceptance and demands of such perks. Christ, your teachers must have struggled to work on your comprehension skills.
It usually involved a chisel - yours, sadly, used powertools

Old 12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back to the original topic, Shania makes teeny-bopper music desguised as whatever "country" is nowadays. No wonder she sells so many records. I agree with Strand that Your Still The One was a great song though.

...And don't you two ever give it a rest?!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I think "Still the One" was a GREAT song. AND - the video was HOT. So, that certainly helped
I've always loved this song. I think Shania is great. I watched her Behind The Music and she took over the care of her siblings when her parents were killed. She came across well to me.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
I watched her Behind The Music and she took over the care of her siblings when her parents were killed. She came across well to me.
Yes, I can diss a lot of the music, but I respect her for that. I couldn't imagine that when I first heard about it. I believe she was about my age when her parents were suddenly killed in that car accident. I absolutely cannot fathom getting up one morning and learning that both of my parents are dead and I have to be the strong one and become the head of the household.

Hillary
Old 12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden

Everyone was shocked about the midriff thing, and Shania's response was "Lots of people bare their midriffs; I don't understand why mine is such an issue." She failed to consider the fact that the "lots of people" weren't country music singers.

Hillary
Yeah, and now look at the young, female country/pop stars today, they're all baring it and then some. Shania started a midriff baring revolution in country music!

I don't know what footage I saw, but it wasn't Driven. I saw something from right before she hit it big, she was performing on stage somewhere and I think she did have bad 80's poof hair and bad clothing.