User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Let us be honest here though, this is the most discussion that has been had on the Ledge for anything Bob Welch related in my memory.
Very true, but look at Christine. We don't talk about her a lot because she isn't doing anything new, but there is no doubt that she is deeply loved. I'm not saying that Bob was. I'm just saying that post levels are no indicator of feeling. I think of Christine constantly. I might post about her only once or twice a week. If she was making music, touring or even maintaining a website, doing anything in public that I could comment on, then I definitely would on a regular basis.

Heck, I got a great deal of pleasure out of her nuisance polytunnel story for lack of anything else to discuss.

Michele
Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
It makes you wish that everyone who cared about him could have have an inkling so we could have given him the proverbial pat on the shoulder and told him how much we all love him and the positive influence he and his music have made in all our lives. Even then though, that might not have been enough.

Matt
This is what I immediately thought when I heard the news. At that point, I thought he'd acted from depression and I felt a well-placed word of support or a LOT of them from friends and even fans might have made a difference.

But then, if what is being said about his back problems are true, then I don't think that's the case. It changed my perspective on everything. At first, I was shocked that he would do that and do it where his wife could find him. But now I think he might have been incapacitated and couldn't go any farther. Maybe he couldn't even leave his house and dispatch himself in a way that would spare her. Also, he probably shot himself in the chest and not the head for her sake. If it's true about his physical condition then . . . you know when I first heard that Christopher Reeve was paralyzed he was still in critical condition and I was hoping that I would hear that he would not live.

That's a horrible thought on my part, because "Superman" did live and his paralysis helped many other people and raised money for research and brought attention to spinal cord injuries. He was a fighter and he used his disability to help others. But if he'd gone the other way and said he didn't want to live like that, then I would have understood. If Bob was in a similar situation, I see why he made his choice and I'm sure the people that love him and knew him best do too.

Michele
Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I still feel so shocked that this has happened. I started being a fan of FM in the Tango era. That brought me to buying older FM albums and discovering Bob's music.

In the late 90s, I corresponded with Bob a few times by email. I wrote him at his site and he was nice enough to take time to respond to my questions. That meant a lot to me.

Since I've been here at The Ledge, he was again very kind to reply to things I posted and answer questions I had.

The world has lost a good person.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
This is just way beyond sad. I literally was thinking about how I truly expected some sort of reunion with Bob and the band in the near future or at the the very least a Bob/Stevie concert or tour. No exageration, the thought popped into my head on the 6th. He died the next day. This is easily the saddest I've been from someone in music's death. And i mean zero disrespect to the other 2 members of Fleetwood Mac who have died but this is clearly the first major blow to the Fleetwood Mac fan community.

I don't want them to attemp that whole fantasy multi era Fleetwood Mac concert now. It wouldn't make sense without Bob Welch.
I can only agree having occasionally fantasised about a Macstock myself.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I still feel so shocked that this has happened. I started being a fan of FM in the Tango era. That brought me to buying older FM albums and discovering Bob's music.

In the late 90s, I corresponded with Bob a few times by email. I wrote him at his site and he was nice enough to take time to respond to my questions. That meant a lot to me.

Since I've been here at The Ledge, he was again very kind to reply to things I posted and answer questions I had.

The world has lost a good person.

Who's on the left in that top photo? How did Bob and Stevie come to be in a photo like this together?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I know for a while Bob opened for them, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with that picture. That would be my assumption though.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
Who's on the left in that top photo? How did Bob and Stevie come to be in a photo like this together?
Watching Mick's hat and look, this seems to be a Tusk era photo. Where was Lindsey? Why Bob is there?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Devastating

Everyone wants to go to heaven, but they don't want to die.

Bob is in a better place then we're in.

R.I.P.

Last edited by ironman_01701; 06-09-2012 at 05:36 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
^I know for a while Bob opened for them, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with that picture. That would be my assumption though.
Still don't know who that is on the left though.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
The photo is from the 1978 tour, the Cleveland show scheduled for august 4 had to be postponed because of Lindsey's spinal tap. This photo is from the pressconference regarding that. The guy on the left is Jules Belkin, a concert promoter. Bob was there because he was part of the concert bill.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Sanne2; 06-09-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another terrible and sad news. I wasn't expecting to read something like this when I opened the online news today, and it leaves me petrified. R.I.P. from Italy.

PS: I'm sorry, only now I saw this video was already posted.

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 06-09-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
The photo is from the 1978 tour, the Cleveland show scheduled for august 4 had to be postponed because of Lindsey's spinal tap. This photo is from the pressconference regarding that. The guy on the left is Jules Belkin, a concert promoter. Bob was there because he was part of the concert bill.
It would have been cooler had they done the show with Bob filling in for Lindsey.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.newkerala.com/news/newspl...ews-35171.html

Bob Welch wrote he didn't want to burden wife in suicide note

Washington, June 9 : Former Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch had written a suicide note to his wife Wendy saying that he didn't want to burden her, before he shot himself in the chest on Thursday.

A friend said that Welch told his wife in a suicide note: 'I'm not going to do this to you,' fearing that spinal surgery would leave him an invalid needing constant care.

The body of Welch was found in his Nashville home by his wife Wendy.

According to the Tennessean, family friend Bart Herbison, executive director of the National Songwriters Association, said Welch underwent spinal surgery about three months ago.

'It had become apparent to Bob that he was not going to recover, that he was going to become an invalid,' People quoted Herbison as saying.

'He had seen his father become an invalid and watched his mother care for him for many years,' Herbison added. (ANI)
Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Washington, June 9 : Former Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch had written a suicide note to his wife Wendy saying that he didn't want to burden her, before he shot himself in the chest on Thursday.

A friend said that Welch told his wife in a suicide note: 'I'm not going to do this to you,' fearing that spinal surgery would leave him an invalid needing constant care.

According to the Tennessean, family friend Bart Herbison, executive director of the National Songwriters Association, said Welch underwent spinal surgery about three months ago.

'It had become apparent to Bob that he was not going to recover, that he was going to become an invalid,' People quoted Herbison as saying.

'He had seen his father become an invalid and watched his mother care for him for many years,' Herbison added. (ANI)

Bob Welch suicide note reveals thoughts of burdening wife

Sarah Burbank-Douglas
6/8/2012

Investigators have learned the reason for former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Welch's suicide from a note he left for his wife Wendy.

Welch’s death was announced yesterday when his wife found him lifeless from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest in their Nashville home.

The suicide note read, “I'm not going to do this to you," People reports. Welch was referring to the spinal surgery he underwent three months ago, fearing he would never recover from the impact.

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...burdening-wife

The Tennessean reports that family friend Bart Herbison, executive director of the Nashville Songwriters Association, said, “It had become apparent to Bob that he was not going to recover, that he was going to become an invalid. He had seen his father become an invalid and watched his mother care for him for many years."

Herbison said the couple had been very close and Wendy often traveled with her husband.

“I’ve been privileged to meet a lot of famous musicians throughout the years. Your fame and notoriety will take you to a lot of places where you have to go by yourself, but not Bob. He never went anywhere without Wendy.”

Details of a funeral or memorial have yet to be announced.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob Welch suicide note reveals thoughts of burdening wife

Celebrity Cafe
http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...burdening-wife

Sarah Burbank-Douglas
6/8/2012

Investigators have learned the reason for former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Welch's suicide from a note he left for his wife Wendy.

Welch’s death was announced yesterday when his wife found him lifeless from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest in their Nashville home.

The suicide note read, “I'm not going to do this to you," People reports. Welch was referring to the spinal surgery he underwent three months ago, fearing he would never recover from the impact.

The Tennessean reports that family friend Bart Herbison, executive director of the Nashville Songwriters Association, said, “It had become apparent to Bob that he was not going to recover, that he was going to become an invalid. He had seen his father become an invalid and watched his mother care for him for many years."

Herbison said the couple had been very close and Wendy often traveled with her husband.

“I’ve been privileged to meet a lot of famous musicians throughout the years. Your fame and notoriety will take you to a lot of places where you have to go by yourself, but not Bob. He never went anywhere without Wendy.”

Details of a funeral or memorial have yet to be announced.