The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah but this is FM we are talking about. I think they should take 5 months and get it right. Five months sounds about right if they have to do 8 more songs. I'm guessing they will each get 4. There's really no time limit any more.

Last edited by secondhandchain; 03-16-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Yeah but this is FM we are talking about. I think they should take 5 months and get it right.
what is this elusive "get it right"? every person on this board has a different idea what we want from that album so that it's "right" according to our taste. so - they'll never get it right for everybody.

4 months which they seem to have allocated sounds like more than adequate amount of time in this day and age to record an album for which 2/3 of the songs are already either partially recorded or in demo shape.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
4 months which they seem to have allocated sounds like more than adequate amount of time in this day and age to record an album for which 2/3 of the songs are already either partially recorded or in demo shape.
Perhaps- but I wouldn't hold my breath seeing an album this year. They're probably going to release it next year for the 40th anniversary of the White Album. Plus, this is Fleetwood Mac... this lineup hasn't recorded an album in under one year since the White Album. The same goes for these guys solo albums- even the 21st century ones. I do foresee the Mac testing out some new tunes when they tour later this year, though. To drum up interest & all.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Perhaps- but I wouldn't hold my breath seeing an album this year. They're probably going to release it next year for the 40th anniversary of the White Album. Plus, this is Fleetwood Mac... this lineup hasn't recorded an album in under one year since the White Album.
we'll see. i think they'll record it fast. when will they release it will depend on whether they are doing it themselves or through some major record company. if by themselves it could be really fast.

to me, reading this board and other fan sites, it seems almost that when it comes to this band's business FM fans are even more stuck in the past than the band members themselves. but i was wrong in the past (about tours), and i learned since. hope i'm not wrong again, about recording.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
There's really no time limit any more.
Your right that no one's going to come in and tell them they have to give up the studio, so someone else can use it to record. I would think the only limit they have is a money limit, because using a studio for a long period of time can be very expensive.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Between Stevie's relatively recent use of the studio during IYD and now with Fleetwood Mac, they must have a good relationship with the studio. That event stevie was spotted at with Jimmy Iovine (last year I think?) that was at the ballroom that is part of village studios. The interviews they did before the tour last year was filmed there as well. I'm pretty sure a large chunk of the satellite interviews were also based from the village as well.

In this day in age, I'd imagine it hard to find a band that will rent out their studios for a considerable amount of time, or who can simply afford to on any level - I bet they were given quite the deal for the "residency" so to speak. In the end it could be great PR for the studio itself and Fleetwood Mac. Then again, this is a band that lacks all sense of good/bad marketing in the current era.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a good look at Village....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpT-q4aKWac

Last edited by FM77; 03-16-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
Your right that no one's going to come in and tell them they have to give up the studio, so someone else can use it to record. I would think the only limit they have is a money limit, because using a studio for a long period of time can be very expensive.
I meant time limit as in record length. So I figure they will each have 4 songs. Possibly Stevie 3, Linsday and Christine 4 each. That's my guess.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The biggest change that will directly impact the speed of this record is Lindsey’s change in attitude. In the past, Lindsey had a chip on his shoulder about having to put his solo aspirations aside to make another Fleetwood Mac record. This time around, it was actually Lindsey who was publicly lobbying to make another Fleetwood Mac record. In the past, Lindsey seemed to almost resent the others because he had to compromise his vision for the music (probably spending a lot of time letting them know it, too). Now he appreciates what the others bring to the table, and changed his thinking about how to contextualize his music around their talents. Finally, he’s a husband and a father, so the old tensions with Stevie aren’t anywhere near what they had been in the past, to the point where he actually expressed interest in taking a “Buckingham Nicks” approach to making an album (when Stevie was refusing to do another record).

The band being sober should also lower the amount of time it takes to make the record. Sure, cocaine can help you stay up for days on end. It can also make you become a raging lunatic who wastes four days because none of those pianos seem to be staying in tune or because the drums don’t sound right.

The band not going in cold will help. All but Christine were just on the road a few months ago, and Lindsey’s likely been working on arrangements for Christine’s songs. I imagine Mick and John have been learning those songs, too. With today’s technology, the demo phase, which is where they’ve been, goes much more quickly. The demo phase of the recording process likely took as long as the album proper. (I know this because the band I work for was on a big label years ago, and they made an album Ric Ocasek and another album with Rob Schapf. The process was described as tedious. They’d go into one studio and basically record the album, and then they’d rerecord it in another studio.) Add to that that there are five songs already done, and I really don’t see how it will take nearly as long as before.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post

Thanks for sharing! Studio D really hasn't changed one iota since Tusk... pretty impressive! Must be trippy for the band to be recording in that suite 35 years later. I don't know about everyone else, but I just have such a positive feeling about this project. I don't expect groundbreaking music, but I suspect this is going to be the first album in decades that the band will actually enjoy crafting.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post

I find it amusing how the tour guide said Angie by The Rolling Stones was recorded in Studio D, which was constructed for FM in 1978. LOL
Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I just have such a positive feeling about this project.
I have a good feeling about this too ALL 5 IN THE STUDIO!!! This thread appeared just as I reached the chapter of Carol Ann's book that describes the recording of Tusk at the Village Recorder. I've been trying to read her book since the middle of last year. I keep picking it up and putting it down again.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for the pics. This totally made an otherwise gloomy Monday. I didn't really take the "recording in March" rumors to heart but it sure does appear that something is definitely happening! So happy!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
thanks for the pics. This totally made an otherwise gloomy Monday. I didn't really take the "recording in March" rumors to heart but it sure does appear that something is definitely happening! So happy!
Normally I wouldn't either. But with Christine back.. we know she and LB are work horses. Plus, if they want to tour this year on a new album, they better get off their butts.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-17-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
This thread appeared just as I reached the chapter of Carol Ann's book that describes the recording of Tusk at the Village Recorder. I've been trying to read her book since the middle of last year. I keep picking it up and putting it down again.
It took me about a year and a half to read it also, because of my busy schedule.