Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://according2g.com/2011/11/revie...ham-at-92y-nyc

Review: A Conversation With Lindsey Buckingham at 92Y, NYC
Posted by The G on November 5, 2011

Some people will always remember the 5th of November. I’ll always remember the 4th of November, 2011. It’s the day that I met one of my musical gods – Lindsey Buckingham. The 92Y in New York presented an hour and a half program called “A Conversation with Lindsey Buckingham,” and it was a die-hard fan’s dream come true. He was interviewed by Anthony DeCurtis, who is obviously a fan of Lindsey’s music, so the discussion was relaxed, open, honest and it really felt like eavesdropping into the mind of one of the biggest musical geniuses of my lifetime. So many questions I’ve been dying to know the answers to were answered as Lindsey Buckingham talked about everything from his love for the Brian Jones era of the Rolling Stones to the creative genius and madness of Brian Wilson to the changes of the marketability of music, some of his current favorites (including Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend and Dirty Projectors), his kids listening to the music of Katy Perry to getting to and being in a place where his life is totally enriched by being a family man – which wasn’t always the case in the “glory days” of Fleetwood Mac. He was even asked what he would have done if Fleetwood Mac didn’t happen and though Lindsey found the question to be interesting, he said it was too hard to speculate but he also reiterated the magic event of himself and Stevie Nicks getting the opportunity to become members of Fleetwood Mac and how it changed the direction their lives took.

Lindsey has a new solo album, the excellent “Seeds We Sow,” and he talked about how the album came about, as well the differences between being a solo artist and being with a super group such as Fleetwood Mac – the small machine and big machine, as he put it. Lindsey Buckingham has clearly thought through his incredible journey and is incredibly optimistic about his outlook on life. This conversation was very intimate and from reading recent interviews, it’s interesting to see how his words can get twisted. For example, he prefaced rumours (pun sort of intended) of getting back together with Fleetwood Mac and he was honest by saying, Lindsey, Stevie, Mick and John are down for it, times are being scheduled for 2012 for the Mac to get together, but also things can change because that’s just how life goes sometimes. The press likes to turn that into definite statements.

The question “what’s the status of a possible Buckingham Nicks reunion” was asked and Lindsey said he’s very open to the idea. Once again, nothing is concrete, but possibilities that been discussed of a re-release of the album will leave the fans totally satisfied. Some of the options are to release either extra tracks, record new songs, and do some sort of tour or at the very least a show – again, nothing is definite because he said that by this point in their careers, both Stevie and Lindsey have their own management teams and it’s hard to get a meeting of the minds on all sides. Obviously, the politics of Rock and Roll are no different than the politics of the traditional corporate world. Someone in the audience pointed out that the 40th Anniversary of Buckingham Nicks will be in 2 years, so if Lindsey and Stevie’s people are reading this – PLEASE get it together and don’t miss out on doing something special for the world!

Lindsey also talked about his relationship with Stevie Nicks and it sounds like it’s in a really good place. They are both off doing their solo careers at the moment, but they also realize that there is a spark between them that will never go out and in fact, it’s way too special not to make something out of it. But like any couple – it comes with the inevitable drama that is bound to exist between two people that have gone through an extraordinary experience together of love, loss, drugs, success and rock and roll. Lindsey said that he and Stevie have acknowledged to each other that the Lindsey and Stevie story has many more chapters to be written – whatever those chapters are will be revealed in time! This is great news for all of us!!

He was asked by an audience member if he’d ever consider doing a guitar-less album and Lindsey mentioned the possibility (again, this is not necessarily happening) and his interest in writing an album on piano. He thinks it would be a rewarding and creative challenge. Fingers crossed! He discussed the controversial (at the time) decision to follow up the blockbuster album “Rumours” with the experimental double album “Tusk” and though it sold very well by most standards, it wasn’t a runaway smash and he basically got blamed by everyone for not making “Rumours 2.” He stuck by his artistic need to grow and upon reflection all these years later, he does not regret taking the creative risk! Respect!

He also talked about not intending to make the record that became “Seeds we Sow,” but the songs just came and Lindsey felt no need to keep the songs in the vaults. As if hearing this type of information wasn’t great enough, he played 3 acoustic songs for the audience which were ”Rock Away Blind,” (from “Seeds We Sow”) which he said he’d never played live before, the Rolling Stones cover “I am Waiting” (from “Under the Skin”) and “Big Love.” It was asked that if someone were discovering his music for the first time, the song he would recommend them to start with is the acoustic version of “Big Love.”

I was fortunate enough to meet Lindsey before the program and he was so cool! I had the chance to tell him how much I love him and he was very nice! I’m proud of myself for keeping it together because after meeting him, I was in a state of bliss for the rest of the evening. His music has meant so much to my life and getting to hear him fill in the holes of many of the things I’ve always wondered about his life and music makes me love him even more. I cannot say enough how grateful I am for such a positive experience and this will be a night I never forget. Thank you Lindsey for being such a positive influence and inspiration in my life! If you don’t have his most recent three solo albums (“Under The Skin,” “Gift of Screws” and “Seeds We Sow”), which to me fit together as a cohesive triple record, I cannot recommend them enough.

Last edited by michelej1; 11-05-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post
I remember the piano thing now... he was saying it's a more "open" instrument, so you discover more aspects to the song or something.
Interesting. I would have guessed it would be more like trying to express yourself in a language you're not completely fluent in, as he is with the guitar. But I'm glad he's still thinking of new ways to experiment and create at this point in time.

Thanks for the additional information.

Michele
Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, with permission ( thanks again, Messoforte ), I did a quick Audacity project to combine the split song parts into two complete songs. I included the guitar tuning and conversation just preceeding each one.

Rock Away Blind:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qwtam3...2011042011.mp3

I Am Waiting:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gigorx...2011042011.mp3

--------------------------
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Also, with permission ( thanks again, Messoforte ), I did a quick Audacity project to combine the split song parts into two complete songs.
Now this is really cool. Thank you for that.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Sorry these aren't that great, but I couldn't have my flash on!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=2bfdd3f3bd
Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Also, with permission ( thanks again, Messoforte ), I did a quick Audacity project to combine the split song parts into two complete songs. I included the guitar tuning and conversation just preceeding each one.

Rock Away Blind:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qwtam3...2011042011.mp3

I Am Waiting:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gigorx...2011042011.mp3

--------------------------
Thanks, Lindsfan!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Big thanks, mezzoforte, vivfox and Lindsfan! Haaah, man, the reaction he got when he made the comment about Chris and Stevie " reinforcing something that might've even been worked out otherwise".
Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Big thanks, mezzoforte, vivfox and Lindsfan! Haaah, man, the reaction he got when he made the comment about Chris and Stevie " reinforcing something that might've even been worked out otherwise".
It was funny. I think that may be at the root of Christine's burning bridges!

There were a few moments when you definitely know that his relationship with Stevie hugely, hugely influenced every part of his life.

Thanks Mezzoforte and everyone for the audio and pictures. So much fun to relive all of it.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
I had just about picked my jaw off the floor, when he came out with the "Stevie moved away from me....I NEVER moved away from her."

And then i reached out to pick up my jaw again.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default in no particular order...

i will start describing yesterday in no particular order, and then i will continue with this some time tomorrow... so part 1:

my convo story actually starts the night before. as lindsey was leaving the Count Basie theater in Red Bank, we could see a small rollaway suitcase and a guitar being carried into the minivan as he was being whisked away to NYC with a small entourage of about 3 other people (next day he had the VH1 thing in the morning and Q&A/convo in the evening). we thought it was encouraging to see the guitar being packed in the van b/c that was giving some hope he might play a song or 2 during the convo event (figured it would probably be SWS).

so now to friday: as london and i were calmly sitting in the restaurant truefaith had reserved for dinner, decided to check twitter and the ledge to see whether there are any changes of plans for dinner or any other things we might want to know... so opened the ledge and you all know what was there (thanks again gypsy for letting us all know the event had turned into a GA!!). so we finished our drinks in a hurry and went immediately to the Y. pattie and alex were already there, so they were first in line, and london and i were right behind them...soon enough amlyn, mezzoforte, fumi, and others showed up, all hurrying from various parts of town. truefaith - tried to call you to let you know we will not be going for dinner before the event but you were not answering your phone... so fumi went to get you!

i think we ended up waiting from about 5 or 5:30pm and they let us in ~7:30 maybe? gave us cards for questions and most of our people who made it to the line early took up the first row on the right side (side where lindsey was sitting).

there were two short introductions that everybody was hoping were going to get out of the way fast... when lindsey and interviewer came out it was clear that they knew each other very well, so there was a nice warm interaction and a lot of respect between them.

lindsey was in a good mood, very relaxed. when i listened to first few questions and his responses i was thinking - oh good, he's getting small machine/big machine and all the usual stuff out of the way fast right at the beginning and then we'll see what they'll discuss next. the jest of what he was saying is the same as what he usually says, but he was sooooo relaxed and joking around so much and adding little details and snipes or making light with some gesture or tone of voice of certain statements that it felt so different from his usual remarks and completely natural.

when asked about rumours era recording experience he said how stevie and christine were egging each other on about being unhappy with their respective relationships and leaving him and JMV and that if SN and CM weren't together in the similar situation maybe those relationships could've still been salvaged or at least dragged on for a while longer. he also said that his and stevie's relationship was on the rocks for a while before that, that she was moving away from him and the way it sounded was like he's thinking he was gonna be dumped sooner or later anyway.

he said that of course mick "only wanted me, right?" to the audience - as a joke.

he also said stevie and he are now in a very good place with each other after spending some time together towards the end of her album recording, and that it is unbelievable that they are still working on their sh*t (that's on the recording).

when asked about BN album, he said that it's frankly ridiculous that they still didn't put it out; he said he can't say when they might put it out and have an "event" that their managers think they should have in order to put it out (somebody yelled - 40 years in 2013), and that he really shouldn't be saying anything b/c it will get blown out and stevie will get mad at him.

interviewer noted after lindsey describing his and SN's and MF's "people" all convening and making decisions on FM or BN or whatever that it sounds kinda like a business or a corporate world...

he talked about his family and being a parent, again with just a touch of what he usually says about it, but adding that he didn't realize at first when meeting his now-wife that this is his chance but he finally got smart and has 3 kids now, after he started late, meeting his wife in his mid-40s and having kids later. he said one thing about that is that it makes him think how oooold he's going to be (he emphasized old with a deep voice and a rolleye or something to that effect) when the last one finishes high school.

he said that he was not informed properly about how this event is going to go and that somebody on his team will hear from him later about that - he was making a face / tone of voice like he's scolding a child - same with the guitar not being tuned properly.

watching him tune his guitar was mesmerizing - you can't get any feeling of it from the recording! he was clearly pissed about it and kept tuning it / turning all the various knobs furiously fast - it was just un-be-lie-va-ble to watch right in front of you!! all that while he was trying to make some small talk and look all relaxed about it but once interviewer pointed out how LB is obviously not happy about the tuning situation you could notice that really being the case... then when he started RAB it was clear that alone - hearing RAB live for the 1st time ever after all the requests - would be worth 5X the price of admission!!!!!

oh, gypsy told us before the Q&A started that LB will be signing CDs outside the room afterwards. btw the room where event was moved holds maybe about 200-300 seats, and it was pretty much full - with what looked like a good majority of mostly hardcore lindsey fans (who else would know about it - there was practically NO advertising of this event besides few tweets and my thread about it here), many of whom traveled from at least NJ or CT or Philly for the evening.

(interestingly, abyjoy who's one of the newest ledgies was sitting right next to me in Red Bank, and then we properly met at the Y - that was really cool!! )
Old 11-06-2011, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That was a great question: if someone was listening to his music for the first time, what does he recommend that they start with.

We've asked each other this many times, but it's nice that someone actually put it to the man himself. I don't really agree with his Big Love answer, however.

Elle thanks for all the details. I smile thinking about your description of his unhappiness with the guitar tuning. When he said that the format of the event was not what he was expecting, I wonder what he meant. I wonder what he thought the set up would be. Well, he seemed to have a fun time interacting with the audience and interviewer anyway. No matter how he thought it was going to go.

Michele
Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That was a great question: if someone was listening to his music for the first time, what does he recommend that they start with.

We've asked each other this many times, but it's nice that someone actually put it to the man himself. I don't really agree with his Big Love answer, however.
i yelled That's the way love goes as a suggested response... he was going in circles a bit and then settled on Big Love. after thinking about it for a sec, i think i agree with him. people who don't know anything about him are always blown away by it.

him moving back and front on the chair with chair moving sligtly back as he was doing the grunts was fun to watch. guess he has to move in order to get the sound out!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When he said that the format of the event was not what he was expecting, I wonder what he meant. I wonder what he thought the set up would be. Well, he seemed to have a fun time interacting with the audience and interviewer anyway. No matter how he thought it was going to go.
watching him interact with people and just casually carrying the conversations for so long that the white-haired tour manager or whatever he is had to cut several ofthem off, i had a feeling he didn't want it to end as much as we didn't. as he was being ushered out he blew us a kiss (well maybe that was to mezzoforte, i'm not sure ).

maybe he wasn't sure whether or not he was expected to do a song, how many, which ones, at what point... or maybe signing was unexpectedly added on
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

watching him tune his guitar was mesmerizing - you can't get any feeling of it from the recording! he was clearly pissed about it and kept tuning it / turning all the various knobs furiously fast - it was just un-be-lie-va-ble to watch right in front of you!! all that while he was trying to make some small talk and look all relaxed about it but once interviewer pointed out how LB is obviously not happy about the tuning situation you could notice that really being the case... then when he started RAB it was clear that alone - hearing RAB live for the 1st time ever after all the requests - would be worth 5X the price of admission!!!!!
Great review Elle!!! I am so with you on this part. I could have sat there tilll next year watching him tune that guitar. It was such a sneak peek at a moment we never are privy too. It was sooooo amazing!! And to hear him just bust out with RAB...especially since 6 weeks ago you and I heard him say he hadn't figured out how to perform that one. He was putting us on I bet, cause it sounded sooo amazing. (Sorry guys that weren't there...it was unbelievably awesome to hear live...the recording does give you some idea though!)

Hope to see you at more events soon...i hope and pray!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
watching him interact with people and just casually carrying the conversations for so long that the white-haired tour manager or whatever he is had to cut several ofthem off, i had a feeling he didn't want it to end as much as we didn't. as he was being ushered out he blew us a kiss (well maybe that was to mezzoforte, i'm not sure ).

maybe he wasn't sure whether or not he was expected to do a song, how many, which ones, at what point... or maybe signing was unexpectedly added on
That's certainly what I'm choosing to believe!

Yes, I'm here floating in a certain river in Egypt. The view is lovely...