User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
The first several rows (orchestra "pit") in the center section were reserved for special guests that were obviously not hard core LB fans. There were some Ledgies starting at the third row (there was an aisle between the second and third row) and on the sides. Standing at the stage wasn't encouraged - it was awkward, because the "special guests" rarely stood up.
yeah i was slightly annoyed by audience inactivity at Saban, when compared to the shows on the tour - especially when i watch the DVD now and everybody was just standing there during TIO. i wasn't sure whether to ascribe this to the specific audience at the event b/c of filming or that's LA audience in general. after TIO everybody kind of on their own initiative sat down or went back to their seats for Treason... i didn't want to do that so i sat down on some box on the side of the stage. i don't remember any security trying to make people sit or anything, in fact security and camera people filming DVD were all really nice and respectful before and during the show.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

I can tell you that the show at the Keswick Theater in Glenside, PA (suburb of Philly) 9/22, was also quite "polite" and it pissed me off. Unfortunately, i did not get seats that were within the first 12 rows of the stage, so to be standing for the majority of the show was a no-no for me and my best friend. We are also two very tall girls! LOL, so we felt bad standing and blocking other people's view. But when Tusk came on, my friend jumped up and was like "COME ON" to everyone, and no one moved. She was hesitant to sit back down, but i told her we were too far away and can't be the ONLY ones standing. But i watched intently at the front by the stage, and do you think anyone stood? NO. Maybe one woman off to the side was rockin out, but no one got into it, until when GYOW came on and everyone finally rushed to the front, and what a difference it made to Lindsey's attitude! He seemed to get more into it.

SO, when i went to the Red Bank, NJ show on 11/3 with my boyfriend, I made damn sure i would be on my feet for most of the time since i had 4th row. At the beginning of the concert, that was when i looked to the woman next to me and asked her to please join me in rocking out and standing up....she agreed...and that person was Elle!!! LOL. And here we are now talking on here.

My boyfriend thinks I am crazy, and he said watching me act like a Lindsey-crazed lunatic was almost more entertaining to him. i don't care I can tell you Lindsey gave a much more enthused performance having real fans cheering and dancing!! He did little "extra" things i did not see/hear him do in the Keswick. And I don't think he told the Keswick they were such a great audience the way he did with Red Bank. Even Brett (was it?) said no one rocked like New Jersey!! hahaha. My boyfriend cheered more for that than anything else! I know he is probably reading this too, because he likes to tease me about my over-enthused gushing Lindsey posts!

I wish we had a live DVD of a show like Red bank then...to capture the REAL spirit of a show where the audience feeds off of Lindsey, and Lindsey in turn feeds off of US!!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
I can tell you that the show at the Keswick Theater in Glenside, PA (suburb of Philly) 9/22, was also quite "polite" and it pissed me off. Unfortunately, i did not get seats that were within the first 12 rows of the stage, so to be standing for the majority of the show was a no-no for me and my best friend. We are also two very tall girls! LOL, so we felt bad standing and blocking other people's view. But when Tusk came on, my friend jumped up and was like "COME ON" to everyone, and no one moved. She was hesitant to sit back down, but i told her we were too far away and can't be the ONLY ones standing. But i watched intently at the front by the stage, and do you think anyone stood? NO. Maybe one woman off to the side was rockin out, but no one got into it, until when GYOW came on and everyone finally rushed to the front, and what a difference it made to Lindsey's attitude! He seemed to get more into it.

SO, when i went to the Red Bank, NJ show on 11/3 with my boyfriend, I made damn sure i would be on my feet for most of the time since i had 4th row. At the beginning of the concert, that was when i looked to the woman next to me and asked her to please join me in rocking out and standing up....she agreed...and that person was Elle!!! LOL. And here we are now talking on here.

My boyfriend thinks I am crazy, and he said watching me act like a Lindsey-crazed lunatic was almost more entertaining to him. i don't care I can tell you Lindsey gave a much more enthused performance having real fans cheering and dancing!! He did little "extra" things i did not see/hear him do in the Keswick. And I don't think he told the Keswick they were such a great audience the way he did with Red Bank. Even Brett (was it?) said no one rocked like New Jersey!! hahaha. My boyfriend cheered more for that than anything else! I know he is probably reading this too, because he likes to tease me about my over-enthused gushing Lindsey posts!

I wish we had a live DVD of a show like Red bank then...to capture the REAL spirit of a show where the audience feeds off of Lindsey, and Lindsey in turn feeds off of US!!!!
Great post Abbi - just confirmed everything I said myself!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sun Herald, November 24, 2011

‘Song From The Small Machine: Live In L.A.,’ Lindsey Buckingham (Eagle Vision, HHHH)

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2011/11/24/...#ixzz1ekET5il1

This Nov. 1 DVD from RNRHOF-er singer/songwriter/guitarist/producer Lindsey Buckingham was filmed at LA’s Saban Theatre in April 2011. It features solo tunes as well as selected Fleetwood Mac tunes recalling the band that changed from an underground British blues band with revolving personnel to the biggest-selling pop-rock bands in the world when Buckingham (and Nicks) joined up. The bonus interview here covers this and more from Lindsey’s viewpoint.

The show starts with just Buckingham and his acoustic guitar, playing songs that drag despite inventive picking. “Big Love” starts things rolling before Lindsey’s backing band (Brett Tuggle/bass, keys and backing vocals; Neale Heywood/guitar and backing vocals and drummer Wilfredo Reyes Jr.) adds a lot. Highlights include “Illumination,” “Second Hand News,” the slow-starting “Tusk,” the measured “End of Time” and the always-propulsive “Go Your Own Way.”

Fleetwood Mac fans and admirers of Buckingham’s solo work will enjoy this presentation.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
‘Song From The Small Machine: Live In L.A.,’ Lindsey Buckingham (Eagle Vision, HHHH)
and it's on palladia right now!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://blogcritics.org/video/article...m-songs-from2/

DVD Review: Lindsey Buckingham - Songs from the Small Machine: Live in L.A.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/video/article...#ixzz1fA1PQAVD

A former member of The Zombies recently said that once groups went on tour to promote albums, but now they make records to support new tours. Lindsey Buckingham has taken this one step further. First, he released a new studio CD, Seeds We Sow; then went out on tour; and finally released Blu-ray, DVD, and CD editions of a concert promoting the other new album. Open your wallets, Fleetwood Mac completists, for Songs from the Small Machine: Live in L.A.

Filmed in April 2011 at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills, the concert is now available in high-definition with DTS surround sound, Dolby Digital 5.1, and Dolby Digital Stereo. The two-hour, 19-song show is a slow cooker, opening with a sampling of Buckingham’s solo singing and playing before adding other musicians and building the energy not exactly Fleetwood Mac heights--but then again, that’s part of the point. This is a “small machine” and, as a result, 5.1 sound isn’t really required to experience the flavor of the show.

The concert opens with “Shut Us Down” and the bluesy “Trouble” by a troubadour changing acoustic guitars from song to song and running a dramatic range of dynamics. Getting intimate with the audience, Buckingham admits that, stripping away all of the things that have made him successful, his center is simply one man and his guitar. Apparently the lack of supporting players in his opening numbers also frees him to cry out his lyrics in a way that wouldn’t fit in with an ensemble setting. He then offers old favorites “Never Going Back Again” and “Big Love.” For the latter, he reveals the song had started out as a contemplation on alienation, but he views it now as a song about the power of change.

For “Under The Skin” and “All My Sorrows," Buckingham is joined by two of his bandmates for the evening, Neil Haywood and Brett Tugell. They first supplement Buckingham’s vocals and acoustic guitars before adding drummer Ralfreado Ramez for the electric set. This begins after Buckingham talks about the origins of his new album, which he claims is partly about the microcosm of family life. It’s really at this point where the power of the night kicks into a higher gear with new songs “In Our Own Time” and “Illumination.” After another quick look back at the Mac with “Second Hand News” and “Tusk,” we learn the explanation for the concert’s title. Fleetwood Mac is the "big machine," his solo work the “small machine.” Making an analogy with films, he believes the smaller scale projects, like independent films, allows an artist to grow and “feed the heart.” It also seems clear that Buckingham is looser without his more famous band-mates, able to invest his energies into his finger work without need of meshing in with the architecture of Fleetwood Mac.

Buckingham returns to his more personal material with “Stars Are Crazy” and more new tunes like “End of Time,” “That’s The Way Love Goes” and then performs a lengthy, haunting, blistering electric solo on “I’m So Afraid.” After one more nod to his rock god days with “Go Your Own Way,” Buckingham finishes off the set with Mac-ish poppy tunes “Turn It On,” “Treason,” “Go Insane,” and another acoustic number, the title song from his last album, “Seeds We Sow.” In short, he goes full circle from acoustic to electric to a simple reminder as to why he staged this concert.

In the end, the performance is a demonstration of Buckingham’s point that the small machine feeds the big one and vice versa. Any of his solo songs could be layered into a Fleetwood Mac track, and any of his mega-hits can be made into a more intimate statement. This concert also proves, once again, that Buckingham can be a one-man show as a songwriter and performer, an ensemble player, and an artist with values and ideals to share in his lyrics.

One word of caution: due to several extreme changes in volume along the way, it’s worth keeping the remote handy. Even in the acoustic portion of the show, a quiet passage can suddenly blow the listener out of their chairs without warning. Of course, we get a Buckingham interview as a bonus feature. Not surprisingly, he feels his new offerings are his finest work to date. I’m not willing to go that far, but agree Buckingham’s “small machine” is more than a placeholder in between Mac reunions. In particular, this man’s guitar playing is among the best there is, whether in stereo, Dolby, or live. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Now on DVD
“Lindsey Buckingham: Songs from the Small Machine — Live in L.A.”
Format: DVD/CD combo
Studio: Eagle Vision
Rated: Not rated
Running Time: 142 minutes
Grade: A
Other formats: Blu-ray and stand-alone DVD

Last edited by elle; 12-08-2011 at 11:39 PM..
Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Music News Nashville
http://www.musicnewsnashville.com/li...-small-machine

Lindsey Buckingham – Songs From The Small Machine
Posted on November 29, 2011 by Dan Harr
by Chris McKay

Songs From The Small Machine is not for the Fleetwood Mac fan. This live document is for the diehards that Lindsey Buckingham has cultivated over the years, especially since he started releasing solo records and touring regularly about 5 years ago.

Having seen this tour when it passed through Atlanta, I can tell you that this is a perfect souvenir of the show. Buckingham has never been one much to change up his concerts and this DVD proves it. The set list has been consistently the same and even the dialog is virtually identical to every other night. The delicately worded explanations of his career and life path are tied directly into the songs chosen to be performed and shed light on his motivations, successes and failures.

Classic Fleetwood Mac cuts such as “Go Your Own Way”, “Tusk”, “Second Hand News” and “Im So Afraid” are given muscular, energetic treatments, but don’t feel as close to Buckingham’s heart as the truly emotional tunes that are included. This version of “All My Sorrows” (originally from 1992’s criminally underrated Out Of The Cradle) is absolutely one of the highlights of Buckingham’s entire career. “Turn It On”, also from Out Of The Cradle, is given a glorious run through as well.

Brand new tunes (there are no less than 6 from the 2011 album Seeds We Sow) stand up proudly next to the more familiar songs. “Illumination”, “The End Of Time”, “That’s The Way Love Goes” and “Stars Are Crazy” go a long way toward justifying Buckingham’s claim that his new album may be his best.

The only complaints that I have are minor. Many of the songs are performed in a lower pitch than the recorded versions and while I understand that it helps prevent vocal fatigue (as he has to sing all night every night during the solo tours), some songs are definitely affected. For example, the otherwise amazing, blistering acoustic take of Fleetwood Mac’s “Big Love” doesn’t feel quite as dazzling as the version from 1997’s live album The Dance and the only difference seems to be the pitch.

I also wish there were more songs from the previous album Gift Of Screws which contains quite a few of his best solo songs. Only “Treason” appears here and it’s almost a throwaway in this show.

Songs From The Small Machine is a simple continuation of Lindsey Buckingham’s art. It’s occasionally frustrating, but mostly brilliant. If you are a fan, this is literally made for you.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up top 10 music blu-rays

http://cbssanfran.wordpress.com/top-...usic-blu-rays/

(CBS SF/CNet) – CNet received so many great sounding Blu-rays over the past couple of months they had to put together a Top 10 list. A lot of them didn’t make the cut, just because a Blu-ray has a high-resolution soundtrack doesn’t automatically mean it sounds great; the variables of the original recordings and mixing can make or break the sound. For example, Tom Petty’s “Mojo” Blu-ray doesn’t sound much better than the CD version of the same music, but it does have an uninspired 5.1 surround mix. All of the following discs are distinctly better than Petty’s, but my list is in no particular order of sound quality. All of the Blu-rays have lossless, DTS Master Audio soundtracks, but not even one had a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

Peter Gabriel, “New Blood: Live in London”

Shot in March, 2011, this concert with a full orchestra looks and sounds amazing. The song list mixes Gabriel’s hits and music from his recent and thoroughly excellent “Scratch My Back” album. The presentation is utterly natural, the orchestra’s strings and the soft-to-loud dynamic range sound the way they would if you were in the theater. The massive production never gets in the way and totally supports Gabriel’s commanding performance. If you want to hear how good your home theater can sound with music, this is the one to buy. “New Blood” is also available as a 3D Blu-ray.

Steven Wilson, “Grace For Drowning”

Steven Wilson, of Porcupine Tree, has always been a strong advocate for surround music, and this 2011 Blu-ray fully exploits the potential of 5.1 channel music. The “Grace For Drowning” album is an audio-only experience, but the bonus selections have video. If you’re a progressive rock fan the music and sound are the best reasons to get this disc; for audiophiles Wilson’s spacious, deep immersion mixes will make the actual locations of your speakers disappear. The acoustic and electric instruments sound exquisitely detailed, and the percussion instruments’ transient attacks are perfect. “Grace for Drowning” is one of the best sounding rock recordings I’ve heard in a long time.

The Rolling Stones, “Some Girls: Live in Texas ’78″

This just released Blu-ray of a decades old ‘Stones show captures the band at a peak. They were still young, in their thirties, but the emerging late seventies punk and new wave scenes were threatening to put most sixties bands out to pasture. Maybe that’s why this show forgoes fancy stage sets and big video displays; the band charges through the tunes as if their lives depended on it. Mick Jagger’s vocals are the best I’ve ever heard, and the Blu-ray’s sound is excellent. The surround mix is subtle, but effective. Video quality is grainy and the color (from stage lighting) is odd, but the band’s performances are phenomenal. This is the best sounding 1970s era ‘Stones on disc you can buy.

Lindsey Buckingham, “Songs From the Small Machine – Live in L.A.”

This show from earlier this year looks and sounds great, definitely the sort of thing you’ll want to play to wow your audiophile or home theater pals. The opening tunes feature just Buckingham alone on stage, singing and playing guitar, and you really hear his sound filling the old theater. When the rest of the band joins Buckingham the recording’s hard-hitting dynamic range struts its stuff. The set list includes his solo and Fleetwood Mac tunes. The theater’s ambience and the appreciative crowd’s cheers sound utterly natural coming from the surround channels.

Cream, “Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2005″

The original band — Eric Clapton, guitar; Jack Bruce, bass; and Ginger Baker, drums — reunite after breaking up in 1968, and some of their old fire ignites on a London stage in 2005. The old guys were more seasoned, better players in 2005, but lack the fire of their younger selves. Ah, but the Blu-ray’s sound is truly awesome, and if your subwoofer’s up to snuff Baker’s drum kit and Bruce’s bass will just about knock you over. Clapton’s guitar flash comes through with real gusto.

Dream Theater, “Live at Budokan”

This Blu-ray’s massive surround sound space and progressive rock’s freewheeling dynamics took me by surprise; this is another disc you can use to show-off your home theater’s abilities. There’s a lot going on in the densely mixed tracks, but the sound never turns to mush, if your system is up to it “Live at Budokan” should remain clear and clean. Shot in 2004, the video is just as crisp as the sound.

The Pretenders, “Loose in L.A.”

This live show shot at the Wiltern Theatre in L.A. in 2003 finds the band in fine form. Chrissie Hynde and her original drummer Martin Chambers are especially good, and the music will definitely kick start your heart. The mix sounds punchy and big; the from the audience perspective surround mix is excellent.

Stevie Wonder, “Live at Last”

This show, filmed in 2008 at the O2 Arena in London should thrill any Stevie Wonder fan, and the set list features his most loved tunes, as well as a selection of covers. The sound mix is passable, but there were times where you couldn’t hear some of the instruments, and the dynamic range was somewhat compressed.

Procol Harum, “Live at the Union Chapel”

This 2003 concert has been out on DVD for years, but it’s just now making its Blu-ray premiere. Best known for “A Whiter Shade of Pale,” Procol Harum has a bunch of great tunes, and the two original members, with Gary Brooker on piano/vocals and Matthew Fisher on organ sound as good as ever. The tonal balance is on the rich side of neutral, and Gary Brooker’s vocals are a little too forward in the mix, but the live concert sound perspective is quite good. The band puts on a great show.
Yes, “Symphonic Live”
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Why do I still not own this DVD? Oh yeah. Because I was stupid enough to put it on my Christmas List. Here's hoping good old Santa Dad puts it in my stocking after the extravagant Christmas gift I left out for him (Grammaphone. I must be mental).
Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Why do I still not own this DVD? Oh yeah. Because I was stupid enough to put it on my Christmas List. Here's hoping good old Santa Dad puts it in my stocking after the extravagant Christmas gift I left out for him (Grammaphone. I must be mental).
It's really good that you're getting it for Christmas - after our shows are all over, it'll give you a lift and bring back all the memories!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default another verdict review

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/li...inghamlive.php

Case Number 22802: Small Claims Court

Lindsey Buckingham: Songs From The Small Machine

Eagle Rock Entertainment // 2011 // 142 Minutes // Not Rated
Reviewed by Judge David Ryan // November 26th, 2011

All Rise...

Judge Dave Ryan wonders if the Small Machine knows Tin Machine, or Florence and the Machine.

Editor's Note

Our review of Lindsey Buckingham: Songs from the Small Machine (Blu-ray), published November 16th, 2011, is also available.

The Charge

Tusk!

The Case

In 1974, 25-year-old Lindsey Buckingham was half of a little-known California-based rock duo with one barely-released failure of an album and no recording contract. By 1977, he was the main musical force behind one of the biggest bands in the world, a band that had what is now the 11th-best selling album in US music history under its belt. Internal and external pressures combined to slowly tear Fleetwood Mac apart at the seams, with Buckingham deciding to leave the group after 1987's Tango In The Night. In the quarter-century since then, he has been resoundingly non-prolific, producing only four solo albums sandwiched around a brief Fleetwood Mac reunion.

What Buckingham has lacked in quantity, he's made up for in quality. While his first two solo albums, made during lulls in Fleetwood Mac's early '80s recording/touring schedule, are best described as noble but failed sonic experiments, his post-Mac albums are striking pieces of meticulous songcraft. Buckingham—also, it should be noted, one of the more underrated lead guitarists in rock—doesn't create songs so much as he creates musical moods that happen to have appropriate words attached. If there's anything to nitpick with respect to Buckingham, it's that he approaches his music with an almost frightening intensity (especially for a guy who's now 62 years old). His darker songs are dark, and often vaguely creepy. (See, e.g., "Tusk" from the Fleetwood Mac album of the same name.)

To mark the recent release of Seeds We Sow, his sixth solo album, Buckingham recorded a one-off show at the Saban Theater (formerly known as the Wilshire Theater) in Los Angeles. This resulting DVD contains what appears to be the full 19-song set from the concert without any significant edits. Buckingham starts out alone on stage, with only his acoustic guitar as accompaniment, and stays that way for the first five songs. He leads with "Shut Us Down," from 2006's Under The Skin album, then gives modified solo performances of four of his better-known compositions: his solo hits "Go Insane" and "Trouble," plus the Fleetwood Mac songs "Never Going Back Again" and "Big Love." (A note to fans—"Big Love" and "Go Insane" use essentially the same arrangement as Buckingham's performances on the Fleetwood Mac DVD The Dance.) The rest of the band joins him (again, all on acoustic guitar) for "All My Sorrows" (a Kingston Trio cover that originally appeared on Buckingham's 1992 album Out of the Cradle), then the ensemble kicks into full band mode for two songs from Seeds We Sow, "In Our Own Time" and "Illumination." By this point, the show's energy has taken over, making Buckingham's romp through the classic Rumours leadoff tune "Second Hand News" sound fresh and lively. An appropriately creepy version of "Tusk" follows , then Buckingham and band settle down a bit for a trio of tunes from the new album, "Stars Are Crazy," "End of Time," and "That's the Way That Love Goes." Seesawing back into intensity mode, Buckingham then blasts out "I'm So Afraid," the dark blues jam that closes the Fleetwood Mac album that became a standout live track for the Mac, before reaching a crescendo with a knockdown show-closing performance of "Go Your Own Way." Two lower-key encores follow—a with-the-band encore featuring "Turn It On" from Out of the Cradle and "Treason" from 2008's Gift of Screws, and a solo acoustic final encore of the title track from Seeds We Sow.

With Songs From the Small Machine, Eagle Rock has done its usual fantastic job capturing live music on DVD; so far they've never let me down on quality issues. The picture is crisp and vivid, capturing the deep blacks and rich reds of the simple stage and lighting setup used. I happened to see this concert on cable in HD prior to reviewing this disc; this DVD looks just as good as that HD broadcast did on my TV. Three audio tracks are provided for your aural pleasure—a simple but effective stereo mix, and two surround mixes. Of the two, the DTS 5.1 track is clearly superior, with better clarity and dynamic range and more overall "oomph" to the music, but the Dolby Digital 4.0 track (yes, 4.0…) is not a poor effort, and shouldn't scare away anyone lacking a DTS decoder. Subtitles are provided only for the sole extra on the disc, a half-hour interview with Buckingham.

That interview is pretty interesting for fans of Buckingham who, due to his sparse output over the past couple of decades, hasn't really been interviewed all that much. He talks about more than just the new album, touching on how he first became interested in music, how he came to be in Fleetwood Mac, and what happened to set him on the solo path. He's quite adept at tiptoeing gently around the personal drama that surrounded everyone in Fleetwood Mac, providing general answers (e.g. "we weren't together anymore") but few specific details. Unfortunately, the interview was shot with a single camera, so the view never changes. This, combined with Buckingham's gentle speaking voice (which is vaguely reminiscent of the voice of Mr. van Driessen from Beavis and Butt-Head), makes the interview almost hypnotic. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Although his solo work has never achieved the heights reached by his ex-girlfriend's solo stuff, this disc certainly shows that Lindsey Buckingham is far from spent creatively. Give him a guitar, and he'll do something interesting with it. Fans should be pleased by this set, and newcomers may find enough to warrant further investigations. Either way, it's another quality concert disc from Eagle Rock Entertainment.

The Verdict

Mr. Buckingham is free to go his own way. He may even call it another day, should he so choose. Just don't say that you love him. Just tell him that you…(drum freakout).
Old 12-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://audaud.com/2011/12/audio-news...cember-2-2011/

Audiophile Audition
web magazine for music, audio & home theater
more hi-res disc reviews than any other publication

Top Pop Music Blu-rays – CNET has listed their top ten list of Blu-ray music discs, and it includes several we have reviewed: Lindsey Buckingham: Songs from the Small Machine, Procol Harum: Live at the Union Chapell, and Yes: Symphonic Live. Also on their list are Stevie Wonder: Live at Last, Peter Gabriel: New Blood: Live in London, and The Rolling Stones: Some Girls: Live in Texas ’78.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Waldo, Village Soup, December 4, 2011
http://waldo.villagesoup.com/blog/bl...gabriel/471990

Lindsey Buckingham: Songs from the Small Machine, Live in L.A. (Eagle Vision Blu-ray DVD, 142 min.). Continuing a string of excellent live shows that would make good stocking stuffers this Christmas is this 108-minute Buckingham concert, recorded at the Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills. During the show, and in the 31:20 bonus interview, Buckingham explains the “big machine” is his work as a member of Fleetwood Mac, which gave him the means to also have his solo career or “little machine.” However, this concert actually spans all aspects of his career, including five songs from “Seeds We Sow,” his recently released, and highly recommended, sixth solo album.

Buckingham starts off the show with a solo acoustic set of five songs; the last two, being familiar from Fleetwood Mac, are “Never Going Back Again” and “Big Love. They prove an excellent lead-in to the band portion of the show, which includes the smooth “All My Sorrows,” “Second Hand News” and a fun approach to “Tusk.” The show, which actually was recorded prior to the new album’s release, puts together two of its best songs: “In Our Own Time,” which has some rock kick in the middle, and “Illumination.” Later comes the harder rock verses on “That’s the Way That Love Goes.” The rocking instrumental “I’m So Afraid” leads into the all-out rock of “Go Your Own Way.” After Buckingham asks the crowd if it wants one more song, he concludes with an acoustic solo version of “Seeds We Sow.” The aforementioned interview has Buckingham summarizing his career and then commenting on several of his new songs. The concert is also available as a standard DVD. Grade: concert A-
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up from Huffpost

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_1124821.html

STOCKING STUFFERS:

Lindsey Buckingham's Songs From The Small Machine: Live In L.A. DVD is Exhibit A for why it's a crime this man's guitar playing and songwriting prowess aren't constantly heralded by hipsters the world over. This 19-track concert (which was filmed at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills) sports an assortment of Fleetwood Mac classics and solo material as well as songs from his recent album, Seeds We Sow. Lindsay's got an eye on the meticulous with an ear for terrificness.

Tracks:

1) Shut Us Down
2) Go Insane
3) Trouble
4) Never Going Back Again
5) Big Love
6) Under The Skin
7) All My Sorrows
8) In Our Own Time
9) Illumination
10) Second Hand News
11) Tusk
12) Stars Are Crazy
13) End Of Time
14) That s The Way Love Goes
15) I m So Afraid
16) Go Your
Own Way
17) Turn It On
18) Treason
19) Seeds We Sow
Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Buckingham Earns Respect

http://swtimes.com/features/article_...871e3ce6c.html

DVD Review: Buckingham Earns Respect

Lindsey Buckingham

Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:42 am | Updated: 11:09 am, Thu Dec 8, 2011.
By Scott Smith

TIMES RECORD • SSMITH@SWTIMES.COM

"The women ruined Fleetwood Mac.”

That ongoing, mean-spirited joke that claims Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie sabotaged the artistic integrity of one of rock’s most-loved groups is frustrating and puzzling. Those who pass that tired joke along are commenting on the skyscraper-level success Fleetwood Mac enjoyed immediately after Nicks and guitarist-singer Lindsey Buckingham joined the group.

But those armchair critics, while leaning on that anti-Nicks sentiment, really are missing the point entirely. Yes, Fleetwood Mac originated as an all-male blues band in the late 1960s before becoming co-ed chart-toppers in the mid- and late-1970s, but the Buckingham-Nicks version was — and still is — just as daring and critical as almost any punk-rock band.

A quick spin of Fleetwood Mac’s beautifully flawed LP “Tusk” — the LP is jagged, nervy and completely different than its safer, bazillion-selling predecessor, “Rumours” — reveals Buckingham to be as much as a lone-wolf, do-it-yourself artist as Johnny Rotten, the late Joe Strummer or any leather-jacketed Ramone.

The same can be said of Buckingham’s new DVD, “Songs from the Small Machine — Live in L.A.,” which gives sharp focus to Buckingham’s immaculate guitar playing. Filmed on the front end of his recent “Seeds We Sow Tour,” the DVD presents some of the most unique — and wildly inspired — finger-picking from any guitar player.

Buckingham’s six-string tapestries are jaw-dropping on his trademark, one-man version of “Big Love,” and his fingers and right thumb also succeed in aweing fans on more recent work like “Seeds We Sow,” “Under the Skin,” “Shut Us Down,” “In Our Own Time,” “Stars Are Crazy” and “End of Time.”

The Rock and Roll Hall-of-Famer also breathes new venom into Fleetwood Mac’s “Second Hand News,” a still-impressive track that contains a galloping rhythm and the best lyrics ever about romantic adventures found in tall-grass fields.