Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I know, Jason... the movie is just so romantic and beautiful. Jane Seymore and Christopher Reeve are both gorgeous in the film.
But unfortunately the book has none of that charm. It's cold and brutal, and has no charm of its own.

I couldn't have been more disappointed.
Well, not until I read 'The Princess Bride,' that is!
Old 01-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Star Wars Jedi Apprentice series. Duh.

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by golddustwoman77
I still love Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. It is just wonderful! I also loved Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books as a child. Judy Blume wrote the Hey God, Are You There, It's Me Margaret?, Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing, Etc. Beverly Cleary wrote Dear Mr. Henshaw, Ramona Quimbey, etc. Some other good children's books are Holes, Tuck Everlasting, Sounder, and Charlotte's Web.

When I taught Tuck Everlasting we did this book. The ending is great. The movie was TERRIBLE.

- Jake
Old 01-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I know, Jason... the movie is just so romantic and beautiful. Jane Seymore and Christopher Reeve are both gorgeous in the film.
But unfortunately the book has none of that charm. It's cold and brutal, and has no charm of its own.

I couldn't have been more disappointed.
Maybe if you play the soundtrack while you read it will come alive.
When I used to manage a bookstore in Chicago the theme used to play from the music department. Once is nice, three times & it will never leave your head. Sometimes I still hear it playing...then I wake up and I get through it...

- Jake
Old 01-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Maybe if you play the soundtrack while you read it will come alive.
When I used to manage a bookstore in Chicago the theme used to play from the music department. Once is nice, three times & it will never leave your head. Sometimes I still hear it playing...then I wake up and I get through it...
Well, Jake, I can see why this could be a whole lotta trouble... FOR YOU!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Sleeping Beauty was my favorite book when I was a kid.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 01-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love all of the Ramona books and the Dahl books. As a littler kid I liked Frog and Toad and Francis (I think she was a koala bear.) I also liked Shel Silverstein and all of his poetry and the Giving Tree.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by golden braid
I love all of the Ramona books and the Dahl books. As a littler kid I liked Frog and Toad and Francis (I think she was a koala bear.) I also liked Shel Silverstein and all of his poetry and the Giving Tree.
OMG..I completely forgot about Ramona!! I LOVED those books, I also liked Judy Blume a lot too...and I also like her adult novels

I have been meaning to go back and read the Narnia books...I had a horrid experience with them in fifth grade though. I had this old balding teacher who always had corn removers on her elbows...and she decided we would read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe in class...or rather she would read it to us. Well, that's all well and good, but we had to sit up straight in our desks and listen. If we so much as looked to our side or touched a pencil she flipped out. This doesn't bode well for fifth graders...especially me, I've alway been a doodler. So...I hated the books because it was the hardest worst thing to have this woman that we hated reading us a book and not letting us do anything but sit up straight in our desks...but I've heard they're great books...so perhaps one day I will revisit them
Old 01-29-2004, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default faves

Little kid (up to 5th grade) : Secret of Nhim (sp?), The Fairie Rebel, Sweet Valley Twins and High (yeah mom didn't put restriction on reading materials), BSC, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches, The Secret Garden, Miss Piggi Wiggle.

Middle School: Where the Red Fern Grows, Summer of the Monkeys, The Black Stallion Series, Young Jedi Knights, Girl of the Limberlost, Old Yeller, Thoroughbred Series, Never Ending Story (re-read as an adult, whole different perspective), Ruffian, Man'o War, Ten Little Indians (agatha christi), For Your Eyes Only (James Bond).
Old 01-29-2004, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Well, Jake, I can see why this could be a whole lotta trouble... FOR YOU!
This is something that we really don't discuss.

And Deanna, sorry to hear of your unpleasant Narnia visits.

- Jake
Old 01-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
OMG..I completely forgot about Ramona!! I LOVED those books, I also liked Judy Blume a lot too...and I also like her adult novels
RAMONA QUIMBY!!!! I loooooved those books. They also came out with a set of movies as well with a very very young Sarah Polley as Ramona.

Do you remember Avonlea? I loved those books too
Old 01-29-2004, 03:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, Marissa, it seems that every twelve-year-old girl on the East Coast highlights & giggles over parts of Flowers in the Attic, correct? I still remember that being passed around on the schoolbus.

- Jake
Old 01-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, Marissa, it seems that every twelve-year-old girl on the East Coast highlights & giggles over parts of Flowers in the Attic, correct? I still remember that being passed around on the schoolbus.

- Jake
Is that the book where the mother locks her kids in the attic?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
Is that the book where the mother locks her kids in the attic?
If I remember (we're gong back twentyyears) it's the grandmother, & the brother attacks the sister. Truly a tasteless book.

- Jake
Old 01-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If I remember (we're gong back twentyyears) it's the grandmother, & the brother attacks the sister. Truly a tasteless book.

- Jake
I don't know that i've ever read it but I think i've heard about it before. VC Andrews was always a little strange if memory serves.