The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Girl With A Pearl Earring...

I know it's still in limited release but I was wondering if anyone else had gone to see it yet. I went on Friday and I, along with everyone else in the theater, was incredibly dissapointed. I had much higher expectations for the film. If you've seen it, what did you think of the ending?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to hear this. I'd seen good reviews & was considering seeing it. I still might.

- Jake
Old 01-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Sorry to hear this. I'd seen good reviews & was considering seeing it. I still might.

- Jake
You might still like it...if not for the story then for the way they captured the time period.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
You might still like it...if not for the story then for the way they captured the time period.
It's hard to make an historical drama (or semi-historical drama)work, but when it does, it can be great. I really like Dangerous Liaisons, Anne of the Thousand Days, and Le Retour de Martin Guerre.

- Jake
Old 01-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's hard to make an historical drama (or semi-historical drama)work, but when it does, it can be great. I really like Dangerous Liaisons, Anne of the Thousand Days, and Le Retour de Martin Guerre.

- Jake
I just watched Dangerous Liaisons the other day...I love that movie. Another one to check out is Ridicule which is the story of a man who is in search of financial support from Louis XVI in order to save his town and how he discovers that wit is the key to the court in Versailles. It's really is a great film
Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just watched Dangerous Liaisons the other day...I love that movie. Another one to check out is Ridicule which is the story of a man who is in search of financial support from Louis XVI in order to save his town and how he discovers that wit is the key to the court in Versailles. It's really is a great film
Thanks, I'll look into it.

(And you should check out the sequel, Marie Antoinette of the Sprayed-up Hair: Let Them Eat Dipstix. )

- Jake
Old 01-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw it and thought it was pretty good. It looked great, and that actress did a great job. The ending was not fantastic, but it's not exactly high drama. It is hard to get into the culture of the time. We don't have quite the same class distinctions (servant/wealthy employer, quaker/catholic) that they did at the time. The big downfall of the film is that they couldn't get the severity of the situation across. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, and it was a screener, so it was free !
Old 01-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky
I saw it and thought it was pretty good. It looked great, and that actress did a great job. The ending was not fantastic, but it's not exactly high drama. It is hard to get into the culture of the time. We don't have quite the same class distinctions (servant/wealthy employer, quaker/catholic) that they did at the time. The big downfall of the film is that they couldn't get the severity of the situation across. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, and it was a screener, so it was free !
I might have enjoyed it more if it were free No, cinematography-wise, it was incredibly good but yes, the story had some trouble. If I remember correctly, it was a novel first... I wonder how different the actual novel is from the film?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

- Jake
Ever seen Quills with Kate Winslet and Geoffrey Rush? Sick, but good.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I'm a huge Kate Winslet fan and I love period pieces but I have to say, I did not like that movie at all...of course, I knew it was the Marquis de Sade so I wasn't expecting it to not be sick
Old 01-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a huge Kate Winslet fan and I love period pieces but I have to say, I did not like that movie at all...of course, I knew it was the Marquis de Sade so I wasn't expecting it to not be sick
It got particularly nast-tay towards the end. It still gives me the willies. I don't even think Stevie would resort to writing with THAT if there were no more pens or pencils at her disposal.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It got particularly nast-tay towards the end. It still gives me the willies. I don't even think Stevie would resort to writing with THAT if there were no more pens or pencils at her disposal.
Yea. I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with you there.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No. I've been tempted, but then I remember it's de Sade...

- Jake
Old 01-31-2004, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Something tells me you're not referring to lipstick.

- Jake
Old 01-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just hear the actors are good. Colin Firth and Scarlett Johanson ( Im sorry I totally messed up her last name!) but she get so much buzz no matter what she does, especially with " Lost In Translation"

As for period movies, I adore Dangerous Liasions and Sense and Sensibility as well. Kate Winslet was born for those period movies. I hate seeing her in anything but...that face just is from another century!!!