Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Example of Extreme Right Wing Views

There has been an ongoing community issue here in good 'ol central PA.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.ldnews.com/Stories/0,1413...905320,00.html

These zealots even attacked the poor boy's mother, saying that she "was evil for supporting the devil's spawn". Terrible.

On my local news just now: these idiots want to put some kind of trashy "tombstone-like monument" saying that the poor kid "Went to Hell" on a certain date (his date of death) and will "Forever Burn in Hell".

The reason that I am posting this is as an example of the extreme right. However, I don't think that many right wing conservatives would ascribe to these kind of tactics.

If you want to read more of this madman's ramblings, check these out:

http://www.blacktable.com/daulerio030401.htm

http://www.cjonline.com/indepth/phelps/

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .

Last edited by Mad4stevie; 01-23-2004 at 11:40 PM..
Old 01-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heather, you know this is what some people will jump on whenever they want to demonize conservatives. It's much easier to knock down an insane straw man than deal with the reasonable beliefs of decent, honest, intelligent, hardworking people who can proudly call themselves conservatives. That would be myself I'm talking about, of course, lol.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Heather, you know this is what some people will jump on whenever they want to demonize conservatives. It's much easier to knock down an insane straw man than deal with the reasonable beliefs of decent, honest, intelligent, hardworking people who can proudly call themselves conservatives. That would be myself I'm talking about, of course, lol.
I hope it's never seemed like I lump all conservatives together, so please don't take the following comments personally. They're definitely not meant to be.

It is things like this, that scare the hell out of me. People on the extreme right, who use religion and the bible to excuse their hatred, prejudice and anger.

Putting the fact that I'm gay aside, I have to wonder if any of these people have really ever paid attention to God's message.
Do they honestly think He'd be happy that they're making someone miserable? Or that they're harrassing someone? Or that they're making a mockery of the death of someone's son?
And, worst of all, doing so in His name.

I realize my viewpoint is considered extreme by some, but I honestly believe I was created exactly the way God meant me to be. I don't care what passages one can point to in the bible... those were written by human men, who were expressing the narrow-minded views of their day.
And I do not, for one moment, believe that God meant me (or any other gay person) to live a life of self-hatred, loneliness and torment, just because I don't happen to have a romantic or physical attraction to the opposite sex.

If that's who these extremists think God is, then they've completely missed the point.

And unfortunately, even when you take away the extremism, many conservatives do believe that homosexuality is morally wrong and a sin. They also feel that we do not deserve any kind of equal rights, or the ability to marry the person we love.

From talking to the people here on this board, I don't believe any of you personally feel that way... and I appreciate that fact more than you know... but still it's one of the major points of the "standard Conservative viewpoint" that will always be a point of contention for me. And why I'd just as soon take my lumps for being a liberal.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would hope that you would think that the liberals on this board can distinguish between the two, but you probably don't.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
And unfortunately, even when you take away the extremism, many conservatives do believe that homosexuality is morally wrong and a sin. They also feel that we do not deserve any kind of equal rights, or the ability to marry the person we love.

From talking to the people here on this board, I don't believe any of you personally feel that way... and I appreciate that fact more than you know... but still it's one of the major points of the "standard Conservative viewpoint" that will always be a point of contention for me. And why I'd just as soon take my lumps for being a liberal.
Unfortunately, this view of homosexuality is ingrained in the basic believe structure of some religions so it is almost pointless to debate against. But, as a heterosexual male without strong religious convictions, I try to stay away from that discussion. I don't care and don't want to know what people do with their personal lives. I honestly believe that there isn't enough love in the world so if two people find it, great...who cares what gender they are?

Conservatives often get pigeonholed into two groups, religious and rich. I am neither. The majority of my friends and family and most of the people I know would fall in the middle of the road\slightly conservative side.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller

Last edited by Rob67; 01-24-2004 at 01:17 PM..
Old 01-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Horrible...until I saw the name Fred Phelps in that article I was a little surprised...that man is the evil one!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I would hope that you would think that the liberals on this board can distinguish between the two, but you probably don't.
Come on Diss, don't assume!!!!

Assuming makes an ASS out of YOU and ME! (I love that phrase! )

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Come on Diss, don't assume!!!!

Assuming makes an ASS out of YOU and ME! (I love that phrase! )

Rob
You're right, but sometimes the tones of some posts really make you wonder...

Old 01-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're right, but sometimes the tones of some posts really make you wonder...
I know what your saying...but it is sometimes hard to convey what you mean through typing. I know my sarcasm tends to get taken the wrong way at times. I am a better debater in person!

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Conservatives often get pigeonholed into two groups, religious and rich.

So true. I happen to be a Christian, but I am far from a religious fanatic. And I have my own little religion of what Krista believes. And I'm not rich, either. LOL

I think a major problem that the Republican party has is a lack of moderates. Their views have been shifting right, starting in the Reagan years especially. There are a handful of Republican moderates in Congress now, and I think it's too bad.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
So true. I happen to be a Christian, but I am far from a religious fanatic. And I have my own little religion of what Krista believes. And I'm not rich, either. LOL

I think a major problem that the Republican party has is a lack of moderates. Their views have been shifting right, starting in the Reagan years especially. There are a handful of Republican moderates in Congress now, and I think it's too bad.
I couldn't agree with you more. Fundamentalism on either side leads to irrational beliefs and views.

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Are you fishing for compliments? lol

I think, on a human, one-to-one level, there is no one on this board who lumps people together like that. In fact, I am sorry that I have come across in such a way to make you believe I probably think that. I can see how you might from things I have written.

I am concerned about generalizations and overall characterizations of one party or another. I admit it does upset me when people cut down my party like that. Parties are made up of people, and I think sometimes we tend to forget that.

Old 01-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. Parties are made up of people, and I think sometimes we tend to forget that.

You're right. I know where you are coming from; I always feel as though I must defend my party, although they (we?) are not perfect by any means.

But I would rather converse with someone who disagrees with me than someone who does not care about their country's leadership, issues, etc at all.

And don't ever be discouraged from posting your views.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fundamentalism on either side leads to irrational beliefs and views.

Rob
I could not have said it better myself
Old 01-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Wow...

thank God for my neutral/independent views...

I think living in the "haven" of the "Bible Belt" has only giving me that one value & as a "famous" singer once said "That's Enough For Me".

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."