Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Isn't it true that the majority of Democrats do not support reparations? That's what I was basing my comment about "extremists" on.
Source?
Old 01-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad4stevie
Well, I am not in Pat's camp. He certainly can be delusional at times!
"Delusional" is an understatement!

We've wondered around here how it is that Michael Jackson's people let him act so off the wall (no pun intended) without "reigning him in," and I have to wonder the same about Pat Robertson's camp.
Don't they hear some of the things he says, and think, "We need to keep him from putting his foot in his mouth again!"

I guess the scarier possibility is that they actually agree with his thoughts regarding God smiting Florida for hosting a gay pride parade, that 9-11 was caused by gays and single mothers, and that folks should be praying that God will help the liberal supreme court justices quit over ill health!

By the way, Dubya's "faith-based initiative" has given over $500, 000 to Pat Robertson, further helping him to spread his intolerant and hypocritical message.
Definitely something to consider on Election Day.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Ledgie

Politicians are alot like jokes.
Take it or leave it. You either like them or you don't.
Pass them along to your friends and hope they like them as well.
I'm sick of presidents who pass laws that make themselves richer in the long run. As for the trees, well......their root system goes deeper than ours. After the folly of man has finally finished us all, they will come back.

Now for the joke.

Q: What do Micheal Jackson and Wal-Mart have in common?
A: They both have boys pants "half-off".

Wakka,wakka,wakka!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
I found John Stossel's report on 20/20 to be extremely slanted. Figures don't lie but liars can figure.
Oh lord, yes, it was incredibly slanted. I was looking forward to watching something good and entertaining, but as soon as the first three minutes aired, my eyes were rolling and my hand was itching for the remote. Check out his book for more. I picked it up at Barnes and Noble's, but quickly threw it down.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Isn't it true that the majority of Democrats do not support reparations? That's what I was basing my comment about "extremists" on. Or am I giving the majority of Democrats too much credit?
I've never seen anything to support that. Where have you?

And I'm sorry, but to compare what the slaves went through to what the Irish went through is rather silly and I'm sure many blacks would take offense to it. Was it harsh for both? Of course. Was it much harsher for the slaves? You bet your ass it was.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Sheebus. Pat Robertson had very different statistics on his propaganda broadcast the other morning. He claimed that 98% of all taxes were paid by the wealthiest ($200k and up). Ain't he precious.

I see an inconsistency!
Which supports my point that extremists from both sides are inconsistent with their views. Any fact that supports a claim by the left is spun by the Far Right and the same for the far Left. If I see that sort of thing coming through in people's arguments I dismiss them early on...It's hard to have an decent discussion with someone with an agenda.

And regarding the reparations thing...Diss, what is your heritage? Where are your ancestors from? If you don't mind me asking. No matter what nationalities you say, I bet I can find a group of people that you owe reperations too, under that argument. The people calling FOR reparations seem to only have selective memory in regards to history. Every race and culture was enslaved\brutilized by someone else at different points in history. Again, why should I have to pay for something I haven't done?

Rob:cool

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Good spirited humor from the Right!

Quote:
Oh, and as for the original topic of the thread...

Sorry, Rob, it's not that funny.
"It's not that funny is it
No one to turn you on
All your hope is gone
It's not that funny is it?
Don't blame me!
Please, please, please!
You're here cause I say so
Didn't wanna be this late
So don't make me
Don't make me wait!"

haha

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I found John Stossel's report on 20/20 to be extremely slanted. Figures don't lie but liars can figure.
Numbers are available from the IRS.

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/pub/irs-soi/01in01ts.xls

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've never seen anything to support that. Where have you?

And I'm sorry, but to compare what the slaves went through to what the Irish went through is rather silly and I'm sure many blacks would take offense to it. Was it harsh for both? Of course. Was it much harsher for the slaves? You bet your ass it was.
I am sure the Irish, who lived under hundreds of years of brutality at the hands of the English will disagree with you...

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
I am sure the Irish, who lived under hundreds of years of brutality at the hands of the English will disagree with you...

Rob
Hey, if you can show me that the Irish were taken from their homeland, tortured, forced to live in their own defecation for months on end, were barely given an ounce of food in weeks, were whipped and brutalized dozens of times each month, were hung just for being black, were believed to be monsters here to rape women, and countless other atrocities, I'll be happy to listen. Next to what happened to the Jews under Hitler, what happened to the slaves is the second greatest atrocity in the world.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
And regarding the reparations thing...Diss, what is your heritage? Where are your ancestors from?
France. I was born in France, but only lived there until I was eight months old, when we moved to Massachusetts (my mother was from MA).

Old 01-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Source?
I extrapolated this from the dearth of moderate Democrats running for office who support reparations, assuming they were trying to appeal to the majority of moderate voters. However, I will take some time and do a little research and see if I can't find something more definite.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
France. I was born in France, but only lived there until I was eight months old, when we moved to Massachusetts (my mother was from MA).
That explains a lot!

With the French, you would have to look too the colonialization of the Americas and even back to the Crusades. You could also count the raping, pillaging and looting of the roving barbarian hordes (The Franks, the Vandals, the Visigoths) during mid to late Antiquity. You owe reparations to Muslims and indigenous American peoples.

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, if you can show me that the Irish were taken from their homeland, tortured, forced to live in their own defecation for months on end, were barely given an ounce of food in weeks, were whipped and brutalized dozens of times each month, were hung just for being black, were believed to be monsters here to rape women, and countless other atrocities, I'll be happy to listen. Next to what happened to the Jews under Hitler, what happened to the slaves is the second greatest atrocity in the world.
If you are serious, I could recommend a few texts that discuss the history and politics of the British Isles from Roman Britain thourghout the last century (Micheal Collins, etc.). You could pretty much include Scotland and Wales in that equation, moreso Scotland.

Also, don't forget the Native Americans, whom I think got one of the worst deals in recent history.

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I extrapolated this from the dearth of moderate Democrats running for office who support reparations, assuming they were trying to appeal to the majority of moderate voters. However, I will take some time and do a little research and see if I can't find something more definite.
It is surprisingly hard to find numbers on this! If you guys know some numbers to the contrary, however, I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong. But I trust you to be honest. Do you truly believe your position on reparations is one that is shared by most moderate Democrats?