The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was really dull tonight. If the rest of the season is as boring as that, I won't be watching.

~Krista
Old 01-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My opinion...

is who died and let 3 "never was" judges decide what should be great & the next big thing in music? Sounds like wishful thinking to me...But then again Viacom controls to an extent what is shown on the 3 main "music channels" (Formerly VIDEO channels) in this country.

I bet you at this moment there is some person with MORE musical talent than any of these American "Idiot" winner's working behind a McDonald's counter who will never be discovered because they have the morals to not sell themselves out to the whole BS reality show "Be the next big thing without paying a single due" scenario...Because they know these suck-up-to-the-almighty-$$$ ("America-Land of the greed...Home of the depraved!") will be yesterday's news when their 15 minutes of fame run out!

Brian "To hell with reality TV" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know what's a little scary?

The Claymania that has swept up the nation.

Although I have never met him, I did work on my RA staff last year with a fellow RA (she lived above me) who was very good friends with him, he called her every week after the results show. Unfortunately, I think the last time she saw him was before he went to the Wild card show. (she went to lunch with him and a bunch of friends). He seems like a very genuine guy, but are there any Clayheads out there who can explain the obsession over him?

Anyone care to step out and discuss this? Because, yes, he can sing, but the sexualization of Clay Aiken, just boggles my mind!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf
You know what's a little scary?

The Claymania that has swept up the nation.

Although I have never met him, I did work on my RA staff last year with a fellow RA (she lived above me) who was very good friends with him, he called her every week after the results show. Unfortunately, I think the last time she saw him was before he went to the Wild card show. (she went to lunch with him and a bunch of friends). He seems like a very genuine guy, but are there any Clayheads out there who can explain the obsession over him?

Anyone care to step out and discuss this? Because, yes, he can sing, but the sexualization of Clay Aiken, just boggles my mind!
I agree - the boy's got pipes and deserves a contract to sing. AND - he has the best make over in the history of make overs. Yet, he looks like a feminine KD Lang!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf
Yea...gotta agree with you here. And ::braces self for Christy killing her:: I never understood the Justin Guarini thing either.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm with Christy. Season 1 was entertaining; in Season 2 I didn't really like anybody.
I'm also with Brian. At best they can hope to get rich quick & make a name through their voices (not the worst fate), but they'll probably never put out the quality of music that comes from having a truly distinct style & meaningful self-written lyrics that stay with the public.

- Jake
Old 01-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I'm inclined to say that I'm not a fan of musical direction these days, I'm also inclined to make a distinction here. Pop acts like Britney, okay, there's really no musical merit in it at all...just people trying everything they can to be famous and stay in the spotlight. However, why is it so artistically wrong for singers (or I should say GOOD singers) not to write their own songs? Is it not artistic simply to have a good voice and show it off? I don't know if Frank Sinatra wrote ANY of his songs, yet I don't think anyone would bash him for that. I know he didn't write a lot of them...if anyone's seen the movie about his life, there's a segment where he's talking to other stars and mentions how the reason he's sliding on the charts is because of the "crappy songs they're giving him to sing." I don't see anything wrong with having only artistic ability to sing and having others write songs for you, AS LONG AS 1. you can sing, and 2. there are no gimics or publicity things that make it too commercial.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
However, why is it so artistically wrong for singers (or I should say GOOD singers) not to write their own songs? Is it not artistic simply to have a good voice and show it off?
I don't see anything wrong with having only artistic ability to sing and having others write songs for you, AS LONG AS 1. you can sing, and 2. there are no gimics or publicity things that make it too commercial.
I agree, Justin.
I think it's easy to look down our noses at someone who doesn't write their own material... I've even been guilty of that at times, myself... but if there's genuine talent there, then it shouldn't matter if the performer doesn't write their own material.

I know a lot of people hate Celine Dion, but at least the woman can SING. And I'm sure no one can deny the amazing talent that Tina Turner possesses. Or Frank Sinatra, as you've mentioned.

That they've never, or only rarely, written their own material, shouldn't be a reason to consider them as a lesser talent than someone who writes and sings.

There actually was a time when it was rare for an artist to write their own material... hence the term "singer/songwriter" being coined.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: My opinion...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
is who died and let 3 "never was" judges decide what should be great & the next big thing in music? Sounds like wishful thinking to me...
Brian

Some humour for you.

I watched World Idol and when Victoria Beckham was 'performing'....I turned around and said...'you see...no self-respecting musician would appear on this show because they know its a sham" (yes I realise the irony here).

When Victoria finished her song, the presenters said "and coming up soon to peform live...Sir Elton John..."

Cheers
CP
Old 01-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: My opinion...

Quote:
Originally posted by coldplay
Brian

Some humour for you.

I watched World Idol and when Victoria Beckham was 'performing'....I turned around and said...'you see...no self-respecting musician would appear on this show because they know its a sham" (yes I realise the irony here).

When Victoria finished her song, the presenters said "and coming up soon to peform live...Sir Elton John..."

Cheers
CP
IMHO Sir Elton's appearance was probably to just to boost ratings because otherwise who would have cared about this show...

And I betcha they offered him enough money to appear that he would have been ignorant to turn it down...

Brian "Money talks and the you-know-what walks" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I still get a kick out of watching this show. I love seeing the people who suck. I can't believe some of these people think that they can really sing.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation LMAO!!

Don't get me started on Claymates, Claymania...etc. They are some strange peeps. I voted for Clay some in season 2, but now, I'm repulsed by him just from some articles I've read. *Shudder*

I don't understand the whole "you must write music to be talented" crap either. Elvis, Frank, and others out there never wrote a lick, but they will ALWAYS be BIGGER than life.

Season one will ALWAYS be the best because those people didn't know WHAT to expect or how things would turn out...but the seasons after, everyone knows what's going on and most are out to just get on TV.

Marissa, I've been bashed countless times for my Justin love...it's all good. Not everyone will like Justin, and same with Kelly, Clay, Ruben, etc. I've stuck with him since Day one and can't wait to see what's next for him!

I didn't see anyone tonight that blew me away, of course, 99% of the singers sucked. LOL
Old 01-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: My opinion...

Quote:
Originally posted by coldplay
Brian

Some humour for you.

Cheers
CP
Ugh.... Victoria Bleckham! She is everywhere over here! And she is so desperate to 'crack America' that she will appear on anything. She really should give up this singing lark

Pip
Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: LMAO!!

Didn't Elvis write a little? I've noticed he gets co-writing credit on some of this songs -- not sure how much he actually wrote.

It really used to bug me when artists didn't write their own music, as most of my favorites tend to be singer/songwriters. But of course there are some songwriters who can't sing -- Dylan, for example.

You have the great singer-songwriters and (Billy Joel, FM of course) the great vocalists (Frank, Tony Bennett, Celine). What gets me is then people don't fall in either category. (Britney Spears).

~Krista
Old 01-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Houston auditions on tonight's show!
I WILL be watching this one.

- Jake