User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Rock on Rob - and you got to quit smoking - see there is a bright side to everything!!!!!!! Now just don't go back once you get a great job if you haven't gotten one already!!!
Actually I found a great job and I am in a better position then before. (And this was at the low point last year)

I haven't started smoking again, either.

Take it easy!

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 12-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
There was a report that about a week, maybe a little less, before the invasion that armored trucks rolled up and cleared out the banks. He's got plenty of money too. Maybe he's in Syria or hey, North Korea. Birds of a feather...
I think he is in Syria as well. I have no facts to support this, I just feel it. And - his sons were still in Iraq - so who knows if he would have left without them. Aren't a few of his wives in Jordan?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
"If you are 20 and are a conservative, you have no heart. If you are 50 and are a liberal, you have no mind."
-Winston Churchill

He made a great point. A lot of my views on life have changed since college. Being in the real world definitly affects your outlook on life and reality. College is such an idealistic and protected place that it is hard to understand how the real world looks.

THought I'd share...had this conversation with a friend this morning.

Take it easy.

For the record, I'm not in college. Not sure if that is what you meant though.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Rob67:

As I said, I'm a moderate conservative (Note I don't use the term "Republican"). I look at the extreme left AND the extreme right the same way...Completely ignorant to the realities of life and history.

It is rather humorous to see how mad some extreme liberals are at Bush. The man can do no right! There have been a few good articles I have read regarding the "Bush Derangement Syndrome"

And yes there was the same kind of anger directed at Clinton from the far right. Silly. I wish people would release their anger and realize that there are real enemies out there. People are sometimes more worried about their own president then other nations and terrorists.

If you step back and take a look at how the economy has acted and reacted over the last 50 years, you will see a rollercoaster trend. It is high for a while, then drops, then goes back up. I find it silly to keep pinning the state of the economy on a president who only has 4-8 years in office. Bush inherited an already declining economy which was made worse by the events of 9/11. Hell, I lost my job the following December. But you know what? I worked my ass off to find another job and didn't cry and wine that life was unfair and that I was "owed" a job. I worked two part time jobs to stay afloat and eventually landed another full time position. I have relatives and friends who have done the same.

When I was laid off, I remember being at my local grocery store. Granted, I was clipping coupons being careful with what I spent. The woman ahead of me in the checkout line had a cart full of name brand food, steaks, and some of the more expensive food items. Stuff I couldn't afford at the time. She had about 8 kids with her and paid with food stamps. On top of that, she bought two cartons of cigarettes. If that doesn't make a hard working person angry, I don't know what would. (I quit smoking when I got laid off for financial reasons.)

People blame the precieved economy and others for their misfortunes way too often in this country. Some people expect everything to be handed to them by the government. People expect us to be nice to everyone in the world and that everything will just be just fine.

AMEN BROTHER!! AMEN !!!!!!!!

Joe
Old 12-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I hope I didn't sound whiney in my previous post! I just see this kind of conservative v. liberal rhetoric very negative and destructive and it's hard not to take such vitrol personally when one IS a conservative! If you can differentiate between people as individuals and their political party on here, why not everywhere?

Most of my friends here at Purdue are liberal, so maybe I have a persecution complex, lol. I've noticed they all, without exception, base their liberal affiliation on social issues and when I start talking fiscal issues with them, they basically just go along with whatever the Democrats say. I sneakily told one of my friends that Democrats believe that there should be a flat tax rate, but I think it's a bad idea, and he didn't know any better and tried to justify it to me! He was pretty mad when I said, "Oops, I meant they're AGAINST a flat tax rate." Hehe. Admittedly, he was an exception. Kind of out of touch with reality, that one, not really aware of anything outside of Chaucer. Those midievalists :: shaking head :: lol. Still, on economic indicators, I've found the attitude that anything bad that happens is because of Bush. Anything good that happens is in spite of Bush.

With regard to Saddam, I often get the impresson that many liberals on some level would almost be glad Saddam is still alive, just because that would embarrass Bush and make him less likely to be elected (and validate their own criticisms)! "Oh, yes, he's alive! Coming back any day now! And then all hell will break lose! Just you wait and see!" Rubbing their hands together, so to speak, lol. Not because they love Saddam (you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that does "love" that sadist), but because, if the day that happens causes Bush to be voted out of office, it's something to look forward to. And, if Saddam's dead body were found, the resulting crow wouldn't go down too easily.

I do not believe all liberals are traitors however. In fact some conservatives tossing around that word so lightly really angers me. Their knee-jerk use of the word renders it meaningless. But I have noticed only super-extreme conservatives spout this, yet it is becoming a stereotype!

Has anyone else noticed that one side often stereotypes the other according to its extremists, knowing that those crazy people make the whole party look bad? Purdue places a column by Ann Coulter in its paper once a week and says it's "giving conservatives a voice to be fair." However, I think it's part of their insidious liberal agenda to make conservatives look ignorant.

Last edited by sodascouts; 12-07-2003 at 02:01 PM..
Old 12-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's too bad Ann Coulter gets the press she does. Who the hell buys her books anyway?
As for the vitriol, I don't sense a bitterness in our discussions. I mean if we don't have them, how are we going to get anything resolved? As far as the partisan thing, it's hard for me to agree with the entire Republican platform, especially as a woman. I don't feel they have our best interests at heart.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's too bad Ann Coulter gets the press she does. Who the hell buys her books anyway?
People buy her books to see what she'll say next. She's so out there and nuts that she's become a human train-wreck: people have to see what she'll do or say next. No one takes her serusly and if they do, I hope they get help immediately. The woman idolizes McCarthy and says he one of the heroes of the 20th century!

She's the woman who, after 9/11, said we should invade middle Eastern countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity. She believes God meant for us to "rape" the earth and its creatures. She goes on talk shows claiming Clinton "masturbates in sinks." When talking about wounded Vietnam vets, she says they caused us to "lose that war."

She's deeply disturbed.

Old 12-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She also wears a halter top while preaching, has stripper hair, and is hot by some definition of the word (read bubba in the trailor). Having said that, I love it when she is on Bill Maher's show and just bet those two party all night and then shag every chance they get.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She also wears a halter top while preaching, has stripper hair, and is hot by some definition of the word (read bubba in the trailor). Having said that, I love it when she is on Bill Maher's show and just bet those two party all night and then shag every chance they get.
She's so frigid that she probably pees in cubes.

I, too, love when she's on Maher! He lusts after her so much! I betcha they do shag like minks.

Old 12-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the best page for Coultergeist quotes:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...terwisdom.html

Enjoy peeing your pants!

Old 12-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah. Bill likes it freaky.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah. Bill likes it freaky.
Freaky are the streetwalkers on the LA strip. Just plain horrifying is Coultergeist.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
She also wears a halter top while preaching, has stripper hair, and is hot by some definition of the word
EXACTLY. THAT'S why she gets on all these shows - not because she has anything intelligent to say. GRRRR.

Male programmers are so predictable.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
I hope I didn't sound whiney in my previous post! I just see this kind of conservative v. liberal rhetoric very negative and destructive and it's hard not to take such vitrol personally when one IS a conservative! If you can differentiate between people as individuals and their political party on here, why not everywhere?

Most of my friends here at Purdue are liberal, so maybe I have a persecution complex, lol. I've noticed they all, without exception, base their liberal affiliation on social issues and when I start talking fiscal issues with them, they basically just go along with whatever the Democrats say. I sneakily told one of my friends that Democrats believe that there should be a flat tax rate, but I think it's a bad idea, and he didn't know any better and tried to justify it to me! He was pretty mad when I said, "Oops, I meant they're AGAINST a flat tax rate." Hehe. Admittedly, he was an exception. Kind of out of touch with reality, that one, not really aware of anything outside of Chaucer. Those midievalists :: shaking head :: lol. Still, on economic indicators, I've found the attitude that anything bad that happens is because of Bush. Anything good that happens is in spite of Bush.

With regard to Saddam, I often get the impresson that many liberals on some level would almost be glad Saddam is still alive, just because that would embarrass Bush and make him less likely to be elected (and validate their own criticisms)! "Oh, yes, he's alive! Coming back any day now! And then all hell will break lose! Just you wait and see!" Rubbing their hands together, so to speak, lol. Not because they love Saddam (you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that does "love" that sadist), but because, if the day that happens causes Bush to be voted out of office, it's something to look forward to. And, if Saddam's dead body were found, the resulting crow wouldn't go down too easily.

I do not believe all liberals are traitors however. In fact some conservatives tossing around that word so lightly really angers me. Their knee-jerk use of the word renders it meaningless. But I have noticed only super-extreme conservatives spout this, yet it is becoming a stereotype!

Has anyone else noticed that one side often stereotypes the other according to its extremists, knowing that those crazy people make the whole party look bad? Purdue places a column by Ann Coulter in its paper once a week and says it's "giving conservatives a voice to be fair." However, I think it's part of their insidious liberal agenda to make conservatives look ignorant.
Too true, too true. There was definitely a liberal bias at Penn State. Especially amongst my professors. I had a few who still had not let go of the 60's!

Some of my friends at that time were liberal thinking on various issues. I was as well, although I have always been moderate. When I graduated and actually had to earn a living and pay taxes, etc. I started to realize that the "idealistic" beliefs I had in college were just that. It definitly had nothing to do with reality and how the world works. Especially with economics and foriegn policy.

Take it easy,

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 12-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
If you step back and take a look at how the economy has acted and reacted over the last 50 years, you will see a rollercoaster trend. It is high for a while, then drops, then goes back up. I find it silly to keep pinning the state of the economy on a president who only has 4-8 years in office. Bush inherited an already declining economy which was made worse by the events of 9/11. Hell, I lost my job the following December. But you know what? I worked my ass off to find another job and didn't cry and wine that life was unfair and that I was "owed" a job. I worked two part time jobs to stay afloat and eventually landed another full time position. I have relatives and friends who have done the same.

When I was laid off, I remember being at my local grocery store. Granted, I was clipping coupons being careful with what I spent. The woman ahead of me in the checkout line had a cart full of name brand food, steaks, and some of the more expensive food items. Stuff I couldn't afford at the time. She had about 8 kids with her and paid with food stamps. On top of that, she bought two cartons of cigarettes. If that doesn't make a hard working person angry, I don't know what would. (I quit smoking when I got laid off for financial reasons.)

People blame the precieved economy and others for their misfortunes way too often in this country. Some people expect everything to be handed to them by the government. People expect us to be nice to everyone in the world and that everything will just be just fine.

I think a flat tax is more then fair. If I make $20,000, then I pay 25%. If I make $2,000,000 then I pay 25%. What's the big deal. The rich are still paying way more taxes. Why punish success?
I don't think your comments were meant directly towards me... but given that they touch upon some of the things I said, perhaps they were.

Don't get me wrong, I... nor anyone in my family... have ever expected things to be "handed" to us. That's not what this is about.
My father's work ethic has always been "do your job and do it right," and that was handed down to my brother and myself.

But you can't do a job if you can't FIND a job. And when the economy was in the pits during the Reagan administration, you couldn't find work. At least not if you were "blue collar."
All of those tax cuts that benefit the upper-class take jobs away from those in the lower class.

So, as I said, my dad worked whatever measly job he could find.
And yes, we were on food stamps, but unlike the woman in front of you in the checkout line, my parents did not take advantage of the situation.
There was a time when I didn't even know food items came in colorful boxes. I thought they all came in white boxes with black lettering on them.
We didn't eat brand-food, and we didn't buy anything and everything we wanted. My parents bought the essentials.
And neither of them smoked or bought any kind of luxury items for themselves. They scrimped and saved to make sure we had food on our table and clothes on our backs.

But you know it's not easy when you work so hard for so little, and you sacrifice so much just to get buy, while you see people in a different tax-bracket living the good life.

You asked "why punish success," but it sure looks to me like "the little guy" is the one constantly getting screwed-over.
And like it or not, that fosters bitterness.

So no, I don't think people should be handed anything. That's a ridiculous notion. If you want something out of life, you should work for it.
But don't tell me that I can't get angry with a government that makes it damn-near impossible for those in the lower classes to ever get their head above the water, no matter how hard they're working.